legendppk

Aug 25, 2018
I agree. I have no interest in Phase 1, 2, and 3 at all. It sounds like bullshit-naruto-filler content until the real game starts in phase 4.
Someone just gave me an angry reaction, and all I gotta say is:

I hate to be that guy, but... I told you so.

WantonWhimsy

Mar 25, 2017
what happened to dev?
They fell off the face of the planet for a minute. Last week they showed up in discord for the first time in 6+ months with a teaser announcement that the game is being ported from Twine/Sugarcube to React.

That said, they still haven't posted to SS though, the discord server is littered with bot spam, and their website keeps timing out (for me, anyway). So... yeah. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Leafar_
Jan 18, 2021
game is being ported from Twine/Sugarcube to React.
Ouch! :( Twine/Sugarcube benefits from years of tweaks to ensure that a game can work well with different browsers and different devices having very different screen sizes and capabilities, to ensure that it is possible to save a game to disk when a browser runs in incognito mode and cannot rely on the local storage, to ensure that the "back" button can work even with saved games, etc. Also, this engine has a strong community support and lots of tools are available to help developers build and debug their games, to help players view and edit their saved games, etc.

Building a new engine from scratch using React is likely to be more difficult than the developer anticipated, and will probably not support many of the features that Twine/Sugarcube supports. I am sure that it is possible to create a very nice-looking user interface with React (been there, done that). But all these other features that Twine/Sugarcube supports about managing the game state and persisting it even in incognito/private mode are not so trivial to implement.

WantonWhimsy

Mar 25, 2017
Ouch! :( Twine/Sugarcube benefits from years of tweaks to ensure that a game can work well with different browsers and different devices having very different screen sizes and capabilities, to ensure that it is possible to save a game to disk when a browser runs in incognito mode and cannot rely on the local storage, to ensure that the "back" button can work even with saved games, etc. Also, this engine has a strong community support and lots of tools are available to help developers build and debug their games, to help players view and edit their saved games, etc.

Building a new engine from scratch using React is likely to be more difficult than the developer anticipated, and will probably not support many of the features that Twine/Sugarcube supports. I am sure that it is possible to create a very nice-looking user interface with React (been there, done that). But all these other features that Twine/Sugarcube supports about managing the game state and persisting it even in incognito/private mode are not so trivial to implement.
I agree it would be difficult (especially since Twine forces you to write spaghetti code :sick:) but React can definitely handle the task. IMO state management and saving are actually the easy parts; the nastiness is going to come from building out the UI for non-narrative bits like inventory screens or character sheets. Pushing variables into a buffer or serializing them to cookie/save file is a cakewalk next to wiring up event listeners that update a paperdoll when you click on an item in the wardrobe.

3.90 star(s) 17 Votes