FFCreations

Game Developer
Nov 13, 2017
Is there any version without the gallery unlocked because this version skips all unseen text for me. It treats even unread text as read text and skips through making a replay to check new story text impossible.
Yes, there are two versions available for download. “Regular” and “Gallery Unlocked”. Although I don’t know why the gallery unlocked version would treat all text as read. Because there is only one difference between the two versions and that is that the variable lock is removed for viewing images in the gallery. It should in no way impact unseen text.

Reactions: Ilhares and Yuri L

Yuri L

Apr 28, 2017
Not yet. That's available to patrons in a couple days
Yes, there are two versions available for download. “Regular” and “Gallery Unlocked”. Although I don’t know why the gallery unlocked version would treat all text as read. Because there is only one difference between the two versions and that is that the variable lock is removed for viewing images in the gallery. It should in no way impact unseen text.
Thanks for your replies. I double checked in preferences to see whether Skip Unseen Text was enabled but it wasn't. Next I deleted the persistent file from Renpy folder for the game. There was no change. Maybe the cause is Chapter Selection being unlocked making the game think that the player has already read all the text?

FFCreations

Game Developer
Nov 13, 2017
Thanks for your replies. I double checked in preferences to see whether Skip Unseen Text was enabled but it wasn't. Next I deleted the persistent file from Renpy folder for the game. There was no change. Maybe the cause is Chapter Selection being unlocked making the game think that the player has already read all the text?
But I don’t see why Chapter Select would affect it either. All it does is jump to a specific label and sets some variables. It shouldn’t either have an effect on seen/unseen text.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
lets for the sake of amusement say..the game takes place in the U.S....you can hit the googles and you tubes and see reports of people buying cop car lights from walmart and such and pulling people over...its a genuine thing..i follow one sub that posts actual car and bodycam video from police and sherriff offices all over the U.S and its pretty damn common crime..as we do not actually see the cop car ingame..all MC saw was the lights in his mirror...so her being fake is the most plausable thing going
ThunderRob You are always a voice of reason in a sea of confusion.

Reactions: D Dog and Freezer14

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
There seem to be quite a lot of typos and misspelling in this update. The dev running the text through a spell checker first would definitely help avoid most (if not all) of these.
This is actually quite a bit harder than you would think. If you take a Ren'py script (that's actually what prints the words to the screen) and run it through a spell checker, it's going to throw off all kinds of bogus errors because its' going to trip over the Ren'py coding. If you write it in a word processor first then port it into Ren'py, that works easier, but adds a lot of work. I am in favor of actually proofing the finished work (or having someone else do it if that is available). Like everything, in a one- or two-man band producing a single project, there are only so many hours in a day, and something has to give, especially if the dev is committed to releasing once a month.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
This is actually quite a bit harder than you would think. If you take a Ren'py script (that's actually what prints the words to the screen) and run it through a spell checker, it's going to throw off all kinds of bogus errors because its' going to trip over the Ren'py coding. If you write it in a word processor first then port it into Ren'py, that works easier, but adds a lot of work. I am in favor of actually proofing the finished work (or having someone else do it if that is available). Like everything, in a one- or two-man band producing a single project, there are only so many hours in a day, and something has to give, especially if the dev is committed to releasing once a month.
I have always thought that whoever tests a game should do so with script in hand. That would catch a lot of errors that cause real problems, not just typos, like unreachable code - sometimes whole sections that are unplayable because variables aren't set properly or there's a 'jump' in the wrong place.

I'm not saying that is a problem with this game... just in general. I see it too many times not to think that a lot of testers don't know how to do it properly, or that no testing is done at all.

Reactions: Freezer14

Yuri L

Apr 28, 2017
But I don’t see why Chapter Select would affect it either. All it does is jump to a specific label and sets some variables. It shouldn’t either have an effect on seen/unseen text.
What else seems to be the reason then because it's treating me as a person who has completed the game. :confused: What if the unlocked Gallery is causing the issue? How can I lock the gallery and chapter select?

pgm_01

Jan 11, 2018
I have always thought that whoever tests a game should do so with script in hand. That would catch a lot of errors that cause real problems, not just typos, like unreachable code - sometimes whole sections that are unplayable because variables aren't set properly or there's a 'jump' in the wrong place.

I'm not saying that is a problem with this game... just in general. I see it too many times not to think that a lot of testers don't know how to do it properly, or that no testing is done at all.
The best way to test is to do a play-through making sure that all the scenes work as intended and to have others play it and pay attention to dialog. Even then, people will miss things. You can try to give the code a once over but in reality given the way the code is formatted it is easy to miss things. A smart text editor like can help too but bugs and misspellings are inevitable.

Reactions: Walter Victor

spooge_nugget

May 7, 2017
Fair enough.
The reason I mentioned a spell checker was because it seemed like it would be quicker, easier and would work for a solo operation. Ideally a spell check and proof read would be the way to go, as that way you can also catch grammatical errors and things that just don't sound right (especially useful when the dev isn't a native English speaker).

But anyway. What I'm going to take from your post is that Ren'py needs its own spell checker that includes the coding and gives the user the option to add terms (such as variable names) to its database (and also a reset to default database for if/when the user wants to).

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Fair enough.
The reason I mentioned a spell checker was because it seemed like it would be quicker, easier and would work for a solo operation. Ideally a spell check and proof read would be the way to go, as that way you can also catch grammatical errors and things that just don't sound right (especially useful when the dev isn't a native English speaker).

But anyway. What I'm going to take from your post is that Ren'py needs its own spell checker that includes the coding and gives the user the option to add terms (such as variable names) to its database (and also a reset to default database for if/when the user wants to).
I think that a spell checker in Ren'py would be phenomenal. But given the high cost that they charge for the program (i.e., nothing) I am not sure if it is high up on the development list. Now if you're a programmer, Ren'py is open source and I am sure they would welcome a contribution.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Fair enough.

Spellcheckers are built-in to most of the text editors available. I know there is one in Notepad++ (it has to be turned on though) and I know there's also one in Atom.

LP83

Engaged Member
Oct 13, 2016
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

gunzen

Oct 23, 2017
If I can avoid having Leah murder me for what's going on with her little sister, the world will be a lovely place.
Don't you think she already knows? Nude beach? True, they peer pressured little sister into going in, but nothing on earth would have convinced Karina to undress in front of MC.

Besides, wasn't Karina worried about other people seeing her naked, but she didn't say anything about MC seeing her naked? That leads to the conclusion that somewhere in the not so distant past, Karina was naked together with MC.

Would big sister care? Don't think so. Recently, she joined the, "Let's corrupt Karina Charity Organization", with Alice, and Melody, as co-founders.

Reactions: Freezer14
3.90 star(s) 181 Votes