rodneyeatme

Jul 19, 2017
I mean, the MC and his dad do have a potential avenue for reaching a common ground in the Leah path. Tell me this doesn't sound familiar: dude gets vagina scourged, leaves his job/friends/home to make a life with a woman while everyone that knows him asks themselves, "Is he fucking serious?"

MC is so desperate for human interaction by the end, he's telling his 35 year old boomer dad about Leah's aversion to anal. That's right up there with alienating your son in order to funnel the son's money to Britt's daughter.

Jul 18, 2017
Can someone tell me what the problem is? Seems like the game fucks up my saves basically with every new version

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The problem is probably the renpy version used by the compressed 0.26 version of the game, had that problem in other games too. I don't know how to remove the imported module from the saves or if thats even possible, but you can continue to use the saves if you add the missing module. Only downside is that you have to copy the missing module into the game folder for every new version of the game. Just extract the content of the attached file into the game folder where the freeloadingfamily.exe file is located.
View attachment Matrix Patch.zip

Reactions: Lotex

davicko9

May 11, 2020
Contrary to popular opinion, I rather liked the Leah ending. I thought it showed the protagonist and Leah both growing up while still keeping true to some of their core parts of their personalities. Leah was still that tough but soft girl that we grew to love, but was more aware of her own shortcomings and slowly learnt to bring those opposing sides of hers into harmony. I think the writer did a good job of showing growth. For some, he/she has clearly taken it a bit too far, but I really liked it.

Lotex

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2017
The problem is probably the renpy version used by the compressed 0.26 version of the game, had that problem in other games too. I don't know how to remove the imported module from the saves or if thats even possible, but you can continue to use the saves if you add the missing module. Only downside is that you have to copy the missing module into the game folder for every new version of the game. Just extract the content of the attached file into the game folder where the freeloadingfamily.exe file is located.
View attachment 773526
I took the advice of someone from this thread and started over from before you got friendly with your aunt and it worked. The error message happened with the regular version as well, so I'm not sure it has something to do with the compressed one, but it shows once again that it's always a good idea to keep plenty backup saves with renpy.

Reactions: xXwankerXx

1337Bob

Jan 31, 2018
I mean, the MC and his dad do have a potential avenue for reaching a common ground in the Leah path. Tell me this doesn't sound familiar: dude gets vagina scourged, leaves his job/friends/home to make a life with a woman while everyone that knows him asks themselves, "Is he fucking serious?"

MC is so desperate for human interaction by the end, he's telling his 35 year old boomer dad about Leah's aversion to anal. That's right up there with alienating your son in order to funnel the son's money to Britt's daughter.
Don't forget the part where MC just casually mentions 'oh yeah, I was fucking my stepsister/your stepdaughter for a while' and the dad is just like 'lol no biggie please continue'.

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
I think the Leah ending should have been a thruple of Alice, MC, and Leah. I always played this game with a harem ending in mind but it never felt like Leah was ever as interested in MC as the rest, so in some ways the ending makes sense in the annoying indecisiveness of Leah. While MC has never been an uber Alpha male character, he ended up seeming really pathetic and out of character in his pursuit of Leah. I don't think the groundwork was laid for his actions to be like this, but again, I played the game with a harem ending in mind, maybe those who played with Leah as the ending feel differently. The Alice-Leah relationship felt equal to the Leah-MC but the MC-Alice was the strongest. Of course MC cares for Leah, but neither he nor Leah seemed invested enough in their relationship for them to be so miserable when they were apart. Since Alice seemed to be an equal in the relationship with Leah, I expected her to be in the ending.

When it comes to the group, I felt Alice was easily a choice for a couple ending with MC, Melody and Karina I could also see with just MC but Leah seemed like she was going to be part of the harem or a thruple, but never a couple. I will try to replay the whole game when its complete to see if that changes how I see Leah and her place in the story but as it stands now, this ending felt out of place.
When replaying, if you are paying attention to Leah-MC interactions, I think you will see a lot of growth. She's never really demonstrative or clingy, but I think that her affection and eventually love for the MC becomes very evident. I didn't have a huge problem with the IDEA of a solo Leah ending (This particular ending is a different story!), but I agree that Leah's canonical ending probably should have been a throuple with MC and Alice and of course the holy grail harem. I liked the Leah character quite a lot, and I am disappointed at how she was presented in this ending.

On the harem ending, I'm not sure I trust the development team to not make it with a similar level of angst and depression as this Leah ending was. The game telegraphs pretty hard the need to eventually make a choice. (Even though, the girls pretty adamantly tell MC he doesn't have to. Talk about mixed messaging!) MC really cares for/loves all of them, and they all care about each other too. Even though it may not be "realistic", I really hope we can get a happy harem ending.

Reactions: pgm_01

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
(Even though, the girls pretty adamantly tell MC he doesn't have to. Talk about mixed messaging!)
Not really.

It's made pretty clear they all want something more but don't want to be rejected so go along with it.

They tell him he doesn't have to choose so they aren't one of the ones left out.

Reactions: Genji

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
Not really.

It's made pretty clear they all want something more but don't want to be rejected so go along with it.

They tell him he doesn't have to choose so they aren't one of the ones left out.
I'm thinking specifically of a conversation with Karina. MC is all mopy about not wanting to hurt anybody, and Karina's response is something to the effect of: "Why are you worrying about this? Nobody has asked you to. Enjoy what you have and worry about that if it ever becomes an issue." Obviously, I'm paraphrasing, but I think that's the gist of it.

I agree that each of the girls wouldn't mind being the only one, but I'm not sure it's a fear of rejection that is driving their reluctance to push the issue. I mean, they all like each other for the most part. I don't think they want to break up their group of friends. They tell him he doesn't have to choose so that they don't break up the "band" and perhaps more importantly so that they don't hurt him. I think it's a subtle but significant difference.

Put another way, while they might like to be "the one", I don't think that they are feeling hurt by not being "the one".

Lotex

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2017
Huh, after finishing Leahs ending I gotta say it'll probably not be my favorite one, but I can see how this could play out in a relationship, it feels pretty dramatic but also very human and at least for me that's ok and that makes for decent storytelling in my opinion that, even if you don't necessarily agree with it or if you wouldn't make the same choices you can still understand it.

Reactions: pgm_01

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Contrary to popular opinion, I rather liked the Leah ending. I thought it showed the protagonist and Leah both growing up while still keeping true to some of their core parts of their personalities. Leah was still that tough but soft girl that we grew to love, but was more aware of her own shortcomings and slowly learnt to bring those opposing sides of hers into harmony. I think the writer did a good job of showing growth. For some, he/she has clearly taken it a bit too far, but I really liked it.
After seeing all the original hate being put out here, I wanted to watch the Leah Ending for myself and see how I felt about it. I am on the same page as you are. Leah is definitely in love with the MC and is terrified that if they start back up again it will only lead to heartbreak because of the distance. And her lack of self-confidence leads her to believe that the MC would not be willing to leave everyone and everything behind just to be with her. As you say, the ending is well written, and shows considerable depth and story development. Although I will not be happy to see this game end, I think this was probably one of the most developed "endings" that I have seen in many games. Most endings seem to me to be rushed affairs that just give a snapshot of the future, but this was real story telling and consistent with the place where the two major players were in their emotional development.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
After seeing all the original hate being put out here, I wanted to watch the Leah Ending for myself and see how I felt about it. I am on the same page as you are. Leah is definitely in love with the MC and is terrified that if they start back up again it will only lead to heartbreak because of the distance. And her lack of self-confidence leads her to believe that the MC would not be willing to leave everyone and everything behind just to be with her. As you say, the ending is well written, and shows considerable depth and story development. Although I will not be happy to see this game end, I think this was probably one of the most developed "endings" that I have seen in many games. Most endings seem to me to be rushed affairs that just give a snapshot of the future, but this was real story telling and consistent with the place where the two major players were in their emotional development.
Most people aren't saying it is poorly written, they're saying that getting kicked to the curb for most of a year and being perfectly OK with it, good reasoning or not, is pathetic. I actually feel kind of bad for the writer of this game. They're in a hard position. The vast majority of this game was written in such a way that it is OBVIOUSLY Alice for the MC and none of the others (aside from harem ending of course). There are just too many unavoidable confessions of unconditional love between those two for any of the other main women to have endings that satisfy if Alice isn't in the picture. It just leaves a bad taste for many.

edit: grammar and clarification

Last edited:

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
Most people aren't saying it is poorly written, they're saying that getting kicked to the curb for most of a year and being perfectly OK with it, good reasoning or not, is pathetic. I actually feel kind of bad for the writer of this game. They're in a hard position. The vast majority of this game was written in such a way that it is OBVIOUSLY Alice for the MC and none of the others (aside from harem ending of course). There are just too many unavoidable confessions of unconditional love between those two for any of the other main women to have endings that satisfy if Alice isn't in the picture. It just leaves a bad taste for many.

edit: grammar and clarification
I accept the leah ending with one big exception that I think was horrible writing choice from the last update. The fucking dad. That piece of shit comes back in the story and is suddenly my mc's confidant... oh hell no. The mc would rather be telling this shit to a stranger at a bar or the postman or like I suggested earlier his dog.
Hell an imaginary friend would make more sense than that asshole.

Reactions: Cigar-Ferras

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
I accept the leah ending with one big exception that I think was horrible writing choice from the last update. The fucking dad. That piece of shit comes back in the story and is suddenly my mc's confidant... oh hell no. The mc would rather be telling this shit to a stranger at a bar or the postman or like I suggested earlier his dog.
Hell an imaginary friend would make more sense than that asshole.
Maybe it's because I'm a relatively old guy that I get why the father was used this way. It was fairly common when I was a kid for fathers to expect their kids to support themselves with no help. It was also fairly common for the father to support a daughter (step or otherwise) while leaving a son to fend for himself. Both of these things this father did. And, aside from that, don't discount that the father, while not the most loving guy in the world, loved his son. Making peace as an adult is not the most farfetched thing that could happen.

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
Maybe it's because I'm a relatively old guy that I get why the father was used this way. It was fairly common when I was a kid for fathers to expect their kids to support themselves with no help. It was also fairly common for the father to support a daughter (step or otherwise) while leaving a son to fend for himself. Both of these things this father did. And, aside from that, don't discount that the father, while not the most loving guy in the world, loved his son. Making peace as an adult is not the most farfetched thing that could happen.
I'm willing to concede it maybe realistic. But I'm petty so that means my mc would be petty. The last update everything just changes and then here they throw this asshole that the mc never wanted to talk to throughout all of the vn and suddenly thats changed too. Nope I personally would prefer any one else to have the mc talk to. But I do understand it may very well be realistic but it still feels like a slap in the face to the mc

vitamin433

May 11, 2018
I would be cool with them being close, but talking like best friends after what his dad did to him especially in the last update before the endings is just ridiculous. Nothing to justify if and how they buried the hatchet.:cautious:
The funniest thing is that they actually could patch up their relationship... but nobody told us that.
It was just a what... 6 months story gap??? You can always imagine something.

Not like few words like this can change the situation:
"He never was close to me, but for the next few months he kept helping me going through all that mess, that he putted me in. I don't think that we came to be "best buddies" or actual "father-son", but the ground work was done. Now things are "okay" between us."

But how could I know?? It's not like I read what I wrote a second ago....

Reactions: xXwankerXx

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
The funniest thing is that they actually could patch up their relationship... but nobody told us that.
It was just a what... 6 months story gap??? You can always imagine something.

Not like few words like this can change the situation:
"He never was close to me, but for the next few months he kept helping me going through all that mess, that he putted me in. I don't think that we came to be "best buddies" or actual "father-son", but the ground work was done. Now things are "okay" between us."

But how could I know?? It's not like I read what I wrote a second ago....
Well put. Didn't even think about that. Probably would have helped me not be as irked (y)
Out of reactions :( try to get you later :)

3.90 star(s) 181 Votes