Profound_Madman

Dec 3, 2019
I liked the Alice ending unlike others on here. It was basically a happily ever after story with the two of them but also as a poly couple. Alice's GF in the last bit was best friends with the M/C. She just not interested in a sexual relationship. That would be like a Harem ending with Melody still not interested in a sexual relationship with Leah or Alice. No problem there as it was explained in the final closing paragraphs of Alice's ending. Each poly relationship is different and defined by the individual rules set by all involved. There is no cucking of the M/C as some have argued. He was still having his fun with others apart from and together with Alice over the years on different levels and for different amounts of time. The story stated that others stayed or left as the years went on but Alice and the M/C stayed true to each other in their love and devotion. I am interested to see what the Harem ending will be like because the only thing I felt sad about with the Alice ending was Leah being written out of it romantically. From the beginning of their three-way romance I was always hoping for the three to continue off into the sunset. I'm guessing that Leah was written out to make Alice the prime L/I in the relationship.
Except Alice wasn't the "prime" LI, she and the MC continued to rendezvous with other people, which is why I'm questioning the whole prime exclusive LI thing.

Profound_Madman

Dec 3, 2019
The nature of their poly relationship wasn't clear. yeah it was shown that alice only fucked or dated girls but it wasn't mentioned as a rule ever. Maybe she's also fucking other men and didn't show here in game to not trigger people?

Just give up already. You understand that definitions don't mean shit when feelings are involved. right? Many people didn't like the ending and there's a reason. they wanted a fucking SOLO ending. leave the poly thing for HAREM. Since we're talking about definitions, getting cucked by a girl is also NTR.

MC has always been a side fuck for alice. she was always more interested in leah. So much for being more interested in boys. Alice is like those girls who are actually more into girls but are afraid to admit it.
The Alice ending had a lot of us thinking that it would just be MC and Alice that's why there's peoplewho are irate. MC could've staying in a relationship with Melody knowing Alice was gonna have a random girlfriend on the side, this ending was poor.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I haven't played this update, but from reading the reactions the Alice ending doesn't make much sense to me. Obviously MC likes girls, and Alice does too. I'd even say that Alice likes girls more than guys, but I think continuing that style of relationship into the ending is a missed opportunity at character development.

I understand that Alice and MC have been hooking up with others the entire game, but I viewed that as more of a necessity. They had to keep their relationship secret from the parents. Alice was already with Leah before MC. MC had to pretend to be Leah's boyfriend etc. It was also experimental. Trying stuff out. Seeing what they enjoy. Like most young people do.

It's not like some couples IRL don't have a similar dynamic and then commit to being exclusive when they get married. Or at the least tone it down, perhaps only every so often instead of a regular thing. To keep things spicy, but not a major part of the relationship. I'd argue if you want to have sex with others more than with your SO, you aren't in a real committed relationship. I feel like, eventually, someone would be hurt. There is a thin line between consensual open relationships and cheating.

Related to that, this, from what I'm reading, may not be polyamorous. Polyamorous relationships are when the people involved are... in a relationship. They love each other, they are intimate emotionally and physically. Open relationships and swinging are different, there are no emotions involved, it's just for pleasure and fun. One of the people involved having a GF or BF on the side, but the other not having the same, isn't balanced. I don't think those types of relationships are stable long term. If Alice's GF wants to be serious with her and tries to make her dump MC we have a problem. And yes, that happens IRL. Girls can definitely leave their guy for another girl, especially if they already seem to prefer girls in the first place.

This all could've been solved with a simple choice in the update. Alice ( or MC ) asks the other if they want to be exclusive, or continue seeing other people too. Yes or no, simple and easy.

A while back, I had a girlfriend who was bisexual. She asked me if I would be ok if she hooked up with other girls every so often. I thought about it, and agreed. But I had conditions. 1- We do it together. I don't mind them focusing primarily on each other, but I wouldn't be comfortable with her going out on a "date" with someone else while I'm sitting at home. She isn't a hot-wife, she is my girlfriend. 2- Nobody we know. Yes, some of her friends were cute but I didn't want to risk them becoming more than friends (or them developing feelings for me or vise versa) . 3- I had to approve of the girl in question. That's all. She agreed and we made a couple profile on one of those dating sites and that worked out just fine for a while. It was a once a month or so activity, not a major part of the relationship. She got her carpet munching fix :p. I got to pretend I was an adult game MC :geek: and it worked out fine until my other crazy ex burned her alive in a house fire. :mad: I'm kidding about that part...I think?. Something like that would've worked great for Alice and MC's relationship, but less dramatized.

You should really just play the update, before judging.
The way some have represented it here, says more about them, than the actual ending.
It's like they ignored 90% of the content to concentrate on the 10% they didn't like.
And I know the dumbasses will go and facepalm this post like hell, but that doesn't make it any less true.

For any mod reading this, I do not call anybody specific a dumbass, not even the people whining about the ending, and it can hardly be my fault if people chose to react to this post with a facepalm. ;)

d_pedestrian

Engaged Member
Jul 18, 2020
I fail to understand how someone can be in a Serious relationship with a married person. let's say I meet a woman and she's married but is open to have extra marital relationships and tells me that her husband will always be her priority.

Not a cuck so ain't gonna date a married woman for whom I'm not the priority and why would i be serious when i know there's no future?

Rocc46

Sep 1, 2020
Imagine waiting 4 years for this game to end and you get endings like this :LUL: It's like the writer is trying to make them bad on purpose or something, except the Melody one. I don't really want to wish anything bad on anyone but I kind of hope that when the dev makes a new game, he'll change the writer.

xXwankerXx

Engaged Member
Jul 21, 2017
And I know the dumbasses will go and facepalm this post like hell, but that doesn't make it any less true.
Well, the 'dumbasses' have a lot of facts to back up their claims while your 'eminency' has what ?? A childish reaction to posts that YOU don't like and a WWI haircut ?? Get real, bruh !! We can give you a shitload of reasons as to why they fucked up the game, ACTUAL facts. They had time (still have actually) to 'fix' all the stuff that ppl complained and still complain about, but no can do, or, to put it accurately, don't give a shit about doing.

Guess it must be obvious by now that they got tired of this project and did everything they could to be done with it, even ruin it on purpose. Just play the game again and pay attention to the story... you can come facepalm our posts afterwards.

For any mod reading this, I do not call anybody specific a dumbass, not even the people whining about the ending
Naaw, you don't give names, just call all of them idiots for not agreeing with you even tho you're wrong. That way, nobody feels discriminated or say it's a personal attack... sneaky you.;)

Imagine waiting 4 years for this game to end and you get endings like this
Yeah, add all the plot holes and the dad to the list and enjoy your disappointment. I wonder what that "none" option will look like, don't think Hailey will get her happy ending with the MC. Given how disappointing the other endings were, I wouldn't be surprised to see this one being all about Susan pegging the shit outta the MC and forcing him to prostitute himself to make money.:ROFLMAO:

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Well, the 'dumbasses' have a lot of facts to back up their claims while your 'eminency' has what ?? A childish reaction to posts that YOU don't like and a WWI haircut ?? Get real, bruh !! We can give you a shitload of reasons as to why they fucked up the game, ACTUAL facts. They had time (still have actually) to 'fix' all the stuff that ppl complained and still complain about, but no can do, or, to put it accurately, don't give a shit about doing.

Guess it must be obvious by now that they got tired of this project and did everything they could to be done with it, even ruin it on purpose. Just play the game again and pay attention to the story... you can come facepalm our posts afterwards.

Naaw, you don't give names, just call all of them idiots for not agreeing with you even tho you're wrong. That way, nobody feels discriminated or say it's a personal attack... sneaky you.;)
Wait, you think I'm actually HP Lovecraft? Great how educated you are.
Oh, and just so you know, I already made a long post, explaining why I liked the Alice ending and why you and all the other whiny loudmouths are wrong. And neither you, nor your companions are important enough for me to repeat myself.
Just keep on acting like entitled Karens, but I'm not engaging with the likes of you any longer, my time is too important for that.

SkyeJordan666

Sep 19, 2020
Okay, here I am making a second reply since I was in a hurry. Now I have some time to write/type my full thoughts on Alice's ending.
Her ending is perfect IMO. It does include flashbacks where we first met Alice, the beach scene, you know what I'm talking about. MC clings on to her tightly while facing his life deciding what to do next.

Let's recap a bit. Alice did have a relationship with Leah at some point and MC did hook up with Leah at the same timeline. At that time, Alice didn't care who's MC is fooling with as long as he doesn't go fully boast it around like a dimwit. During the beach trip, we notice that Alice is also playing with fire as she tried to hook up with Karina. Fast forward a bit, we see Alice mingling with other girls as both of them break up the relationship with Leah.

Now, this is the true definition of polyamory where one doesn't think that a single individual can fulfill all of their relationship needs, and therefore they prefer having many partners. Not those "we can fuck whoever we want" or "I can bang those two at the same time". Nope. You see, I realized this after remembering that Alice tried to hook up with Karina and her sex drive was more towards bisexual rather than a full-on lesbian, and yes that also includes the part where all of the guest and bride mates were wet because of rain.

Kudos to Val for writing this ending and FF for rendering the scene. Both of them deserve some standing ovation!

Almost forgot, I've made something for Freeloading Family fans, so grab those files .

ChooseYourCharacter.png

Wicked Garden

Osiris
Donor
May 9, 2018
Guys don't over analyze it, that's how the writer wanted the stories to go. Alice is my fav girl too but my favorite ending has to go to my 2nd fav girl Melody.
It's sad, but now that I think about it Melody does have the best ending, which is ironic for me because earlier in the series I never cared for Melody. I thought she would be just this dumb blonde character that Mc would fuck, but she turned into one of my best girls. Plus in her ending Mc got her pregnant and that made me so happy.

Gmandingo

Nov 3, 2019
All i got to say is the aunt better play a big role in the harem ending and there better be some actual changes to the story for the harem ending and not just all their endings smooshed into one that would just be shit and yes Mel's ending was better than the rest i was hoping for better with Alice's ending but it was passable way better than leah's or karina just god please let the harem ending be good

Gallant Trombe

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2021
There's a couple of things I think really hurt the endings of this game. A lot of posters here point out specific things they don't like about them, but from a writer's perspective, the problems stem from the narrative itself. That, in my opinion, is why the endings are not as universally liked as all we wished they would be.

First of all, these "endings" are not endings, they are epilogues. The story itself didn't have an ending. We call them endings because VNs traditionally have routes, and each route has its own ending. In the case of this VN, these endings are not actually endings, they are effectively epilogues, with Melody's and Leah's to a certain degree being the only exceptions.

I say this because endings should resolve the central conflict. The central conflict of Freeloading Family has been the relationship between the MC and his father and his somewhat inconclusive relationship with the girls. The story starts with the MC moving and living with Alice, the conflict is that his father wants more from the MC. So, right before the endings, the father evicted the son, forcing him to deal with the consequences. Yet the endings didn't deal with this at all. Sure, the story told us what happens after, but that's not storytelling, that's just informing the reader.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I'm not sure what to expect with the harem ending, I really hope we get to see the MC finally doing something to make it all work out. Please don't just have everyone drift apart, and then time naturally pulls them together or something.

Last edited:

Wicked Garden

Osiris
Donor
May 9, 2018
There's a couple of things I think really hurt the endings of this game. A lot of posters here point out specific things they don't like about them, but from a writer's perspective, the problems stem from the narrative itself. That, in my opinion, is why the endings are not as universally liked as all we wished they would be.

First of all, these "endings" are not endings, they are epilogues. The story itself didn't have an ending. We call them endings because VNs traditionally have routes, and each route has its own ending. In the case of this VN, these endings are not actually endings, they are effectively epilogues, with Melody's and Leah's to a certain degree being the only exceptions.

I say this because endings should resolve the central conflict. The central conflict of Freeloading Family has been the relationship between the MC and his father and his somewhat inconclusive relationship with the girls. The story starts with the MC moving and living with Alice, the conflict is that his father wants more from the MC. So, right before the endings, the father evicted the son, forcing him to deal with the consequences. Yet the endings didn't deal with this at all. Sure, the story told us what happens after, but that's not storytelling, that's just informing the reader.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I'm not sure what to expect with the harem ending, I really hope we get to see the MC finally doing something to make it all work out. Please don't just have everyone drift apart, and then time naturally pulls them together or something.
Well if we're being technical than sure, but I agree with everything you said with the exception of the Leah ending. You said Mc didn't do enough, from my perspective he did too much. I felt he left everyone and everything to be with Leah, stopping contact with Alice and Melody and even moved to a new foreign location for her.

You touched on the fact that there was an option to get Melody pregnant in her ending, that's pretty much all I wanted in Alice's ending. An option to say we're done fucking around, we've been there and done that, but it never happened. That's also why I felt so fulfilled doing Melody's because as you mentioned it felt like a story giving closure. Mc became a father, that's a pretty big deal, and he showed growth in my opinion during that ending.

With Alice the only "closure" we saw was him finally mustering up the courage to call his dad and even then that was only because Alice had persuaded him. In Alice's ending they both essential did the same damn thing they did prior til these endings taken place and that's sleep around with people, which brings me back to my question of what was the reason of breaking up with Mel in that ending if they were gonna bang strangers? If I remember correctly Alice had a thing for Karina also, you mean to tell me those two wouldn't have been down for some action instead?

Aside from the beautiful wedding, having played the ending three times now, there's nothing extravagant about it. There lives never really changed, and they essentially had the same routine as before, Mc randomly became a writer and that was it. But yes, you can definitely make the argument that Leah's ending was better also. I don't think it was, but you can definitely make a case.

Last edited:

atomicp

Feb 25, 2018
Y'know what? I said the same thing in my review.

It feels like if the writers knew where they want to end up, but not how to get from point A to B.

So they inserted a time skips and announced “B!” in a confident tone, often following up with some vague comments about what had happened (mostly, not even that).
All endings thus far, the only who leads to an actual ending are Melody's and Karina's. And even then, they do so after timeskips.

Reactions: Bobby Boucher

Gallant Trombe

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2021
Well if we're being technical than sure, but I agree with everything you said with the exception of the Leah ending. You said Mc didn't do enough, from my perspective he did too much. I felt he left everyone and everything to be with Leah, stopping contact with Alice and Melody and even moved to a new foreign location for her.

You touched on the fact that there was an option to get Melody pregnant in her ending, that's pretty much all I wanted in Alice's ending. An option to say we're done fucking around, we've been there and done that, but it never happened. That's also why I felt so fulfilled doing Melody's because as you mentioned it felt like a story giving closure. Mc became a father, that's a pretty big deal, and he showed growth in my opinion during that ending.

With Alice the only "closure" we saw was him finally mustering up the courage to call his dad and even then that was only because Alice had persuaded him. In Alice's ending they both essential did the same damn thing they did prior til these endings taken place and that's sleep around with people, which brings me back to my question of what was the reason of breaking up with Mel in that ending if they were gonna bang strangers? If I remember correctly Alice had a thing for Karina also, you mean to tell me those two wouldn't have been down for some action instead?

Aside from the beautiful wedding, having played the ending three times now, there's nothing extravagant about it. There lives never really changed, and they essentially had the same routine as before, Mc randomly became a writer and that was it. But yes, you can definitely make the argument that Leah's ending was better also. I don't think it was, but you can definitely make a case.
Why I said the MC didn't do enough is because his actions didn't connect logically with the conflict.

Intent - MC loves Leah and wants to be with her.
Conflict - Leah is afraid of romantic relationship due to past trauma
Action - MC stops sleeping around with other girls.

The action doesn't make any sense. Now, MC didn't understand why Leah was hesitant, he thought Leah might have qualms about him sleeping around with their circle of friends. So that's why he did what he did. That's fine. Problem is, when it is time to resolve the conflict, it wasn't because of his misguided action, it was Leah herself coming to terms with her feelings. Leah never had issues with MC sleeping around. Ergo, MC didn't do anything besides not moving on from Leah. That's something, but not enough IMO.

Reactions: Wicked Garden

Profound_Madman

Dec 3, 2019
Spend all this time, suffer through bad endings hoping that this Alice ending would make up for some of these others ones, only for Alice and MC to end up as boring glorified Swingers, living a boring life. Who cares about a mono route right? Is Alice even happy or satisfied taking dick or does she prefer pussy much more? More and more Melody is looking like the better choice over everyone.

3.90 star(s) 181 Votes