Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
Yes, pls, what this guy said! :LOL: No offense to that patron, but I hate when an AVN has characters speaking like proper english gentlemen from the 18th century or w/e. I've even come across ones where they have children speaking that way :LOL::ROFLMAO: It is by far the most jarring, irritating thing that a writer can do with dialogue imo; ffs, I'll take bad bobby's terrible grammar over that any day of the week! This isn't meant to offend or shame anyone or anything, but I have a high suspicion that the writers that do this have some degree of autism and are just hyper-focused on proper grammar because "it's correct", failing to realize that they've actually compromised their dialogue altogether in the process; in other words, missed the forest for the trees! The only situation I could believe someone would speak like that in real life is maybe an uptight grammar teacher or something. Or, again, maybe someone with autism who is focused on grammar.
It's either this or a ton of "Johnny-san what should we do"/"fufufufuufufuf"/"tch tch tch"/"uwuwuwuw"

I'd just prefer games to be like "hey hows it going, you coming over tonight?"

Reactions: PHIL101-YYouPPHard

Samuel Hidayat

May 16, 2019
It's either this or a ton of "Johnny-san what should we do"/"fufufufuufufuf"/"tch tch tch"/"uwuwuwuw"

I'd just prefer games to be like "hey hows it going, you coming over tonight?"
If NeonGhosts follow the patron's advice, it'll be like, "Hey, how is it going? Are you coming over tonight?"

Small differences, but you can feel how stiff and unnatural it is.

PHIL101-YYouPPHard

Jan 11, 2022
If NeonGhosts follow the patron's advice, it'll be like, "Hey, how is it going? Are you coming over tonight?"

"Good evening sir! Might we take a walk on this fine night? Oh, but we ought to finish before supper or mother will have my head!" *crinkles nose into a laugh*

Ok, so, I kinda realize after the fact that my rant on grammar and dialogue was a tad over the top xD But, I genuinely have come across games where the characters speak like that, and that "ought to" from Neon is what triggered that dreadful memory xD It seems to be a favorite among these bad writers.

I've also come across one where a main LI spoke exactly like a robot. And she wasn't an actual robot, btw, it wasn't sci-fi or fantasy or anything like that; nor was it done for quirkiness or a laugh or anything. She just flat out had the most robotic, off-putting, boner-killing dialogue. Really made me feel like I was trying to cyber with the dev. Which in a way is kind of what every AVN is :LOL:

Anyways, some writers just really have me scratching my head furiously :LOL: I feel like I've discovered an oasis with this game.

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
"Good evening sir! Might we take a walk on this fine night? Oh, but we ought to finish before supper or mother will have my head!" *crinkles nose into a laugh*

Ok, so, I kinda realize after the fact that my rant on grammar and dialogue was a tad over the top xD But, I genuinely have come across games where the characters speak like that, and that "ought to" from Neon is what triggered that dreadful memory xD It seems to be a favorite among these bad writers.

I've also come across one where a main LI spoke exactly like a robot. And she wasn't an actual robot, btw, it wasn't sci-fi or fantasy or anything like that; nor was it done for quirkiness or a laugh or anything. She just flat out had the most robotic, off-putting, boner-killing dialogue. Really made me feel like I was trying to cyber with the dev. Which in a way is kind of what every AVN is :LOL:

Anyways, some writers just really have me scratching my head furiously :LOL: I feel like I've discovered an oasis with this game.
A lot of it is I think machine translations, without having a natural language proofreader.

• Thinking Face

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022

butterss.jpg

A lot of it is I think machine translations, without having a natural language proofreader.
I dunno man, perhaps here, but even when games are normally machine translated, the innate style so many have strongly suggests what phil101 was saying before (meaning it goes beyond just word choice, it's a broader style of conversation) - that's fine on its own, but when it's juxtaposed with any kind of theme I can't imagine a speaker like that doing in 1000 years......:LOL:

Or said plainly, I don't mind the narrative speaker sounding like a huge dork. I do mind the speaker sounding like that when the story portrays mc as a cooldude.jpg, or chad mcthundercock.

• Haha

U330661

Aug 29, 2022
I think you're probably right with the machine-translated idea. It's almost a feature of 'bad' translation systems if the characters still carry over the original pacing and structure, even if it doesn't work in the new language

PHIL101-YYouPPHard

Jan 11, 2022
Or said plainly, I don't mind the narrative speaker sounding like a huge dork. I do mind the speaker sounding like that when the story portrays mc as a cooldude.jpg, or chad mcthundercock.
Oh, man, that's a classic lmfao :ROFLMAO: Nothing worse than when the game's universe and characters are portraying MC as the coolest dude ever, meanwhile it's so apparent to anyone playing that he's a huge dweeb. It blushes me right out of the game to take it off my harddrive. That's a hugely necessary quality for a writer imo, self-awareness and knowing what you can and can't write. Like, don't try to write a funny character if you're not very funny, for example, you're just going to make your audience roll their eyes and move on to something else.

Reactions: Pr0GamerJohnny

soldano

Jan 29, 2018
The first thing I want to say is that it seems to me a better option for the characters to speak in slang, or with abbreviations, or whatever else suits them.
But as a non-native, I must admit that sometimes it is difficult for me to understand some expressions or non-formal forms.
I don't really remember that happening to me in Friends in Need, but I do remember it happening in some games. Now I don't remember the game name, but there was one in which the MC was black that I found unreadable. I imagine there was some racism there, since it seems very stereotypical to me that a black American has to speak as if he has facial paralysis. But anyway, that's another topic.

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
I probably should've clearly stated that I have no intention of changing the way I write. :D Honestly, I don't even know that I could. The characters' voices are so cemented in my head that it's hard to write them any other way.

Anyhow! Here's a little teaser for the next installment. <_<

4o205.png

Machete

Engaged Member
Apr 7, 2020
I probably should've clearly stated that I have no intention of changing the way I write. :D Honestly, I don't even know that I could. The characters' voices are so cemented in my head that it's hard to write them any other way.
And i think you shouldn't. Different characters should speak in a different way, i think it's called poliphony, technically As long as the narration has a consistent style character should espress themselves through their speaking registries too.

Time ago i read The First Law trilogy by Abercombie, which is a good reading indeed, but he literally used a completely different registry for each pov chapter on the base of which character the chapter focused on. Cool, but insane :D Kinda tiresome on the long run.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017

Anyhow! Here's a little teaser for the next installment. <_<

View attachment 2683611
Guy is adjusting the camera for doing a OF video? :ROFLMAO: :unsure:

Rasturac

Apr 6, 2023
Scene looks like it's straight from one of Joey Diaz stories:

We started snorting coke eating ass i mean it was filthy!
I'm waking up, she was naked ,ripped apart ,
i got dressed and got the fuck out ,never saw her again,
even robbed the money ,took everything. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: NeonGhosts
Feb 15, 2019
Normally when I play a game where you have the option to be a depraved maniac, I play that route. But the “nice” route in this game is actually more interesting. There’s more intrigue and you get extra info out, like Pepper suggesting that the manager is a druggie. She’s actually a sweet girl and makes me feel bad about having the MC brutally rape her the first go around.

allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
I had a very nice patron reach out and say I should change some of my weird contractions and verbal abbreviations (it’ll, that’ll, gotta, oughtta, etc.) to the more accurate, grammatically correct versions (it will, that will, got to, ought to) for readability. And like, I get it! But I kind of try to write the way the characters would actually sound in my head.
I'd argue that depending on the context, NOT contracting things reads super awkwardly. At a certain point, it just doesn't sound like real people speaking. Especially when everything else about the sentence is informal.

A: "Can you go to the grocery store?"
B: "Yea, I will go after I beat my meat."
or
B: "Yea, I'll go after I beat my meat."

I don't anyone who speaks like that normally unless they're trying to emphasize the verb.

A: "Did you go the store?"
B: "Yes, I have."

On the flipside, some people take it too far and contract EVERYTHING.

A: "Did you go to the store?"
B: "Yes, I've." (Like what?)

Reactions: Krynh

Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
There’s more intrigue and you get extra info out, like Pepper suggesting that the manager is a druggie. She’s actually a sweet girl and makes me feel bad about having the MC brutally rape her the first go around.
So you went to her "Hey Pepper, wanna date? Sorry I raped you in an alternate timeline/unvierse" ;)

• Haha
Reactions: GamerMcGameFace

soldano

Jan 29, 2018
And i think you shouldn't. Different characters should speak in a different way, i think it's called poliphony, technically As long as the narration has a consistent style character should espress themselves through their speaking registries too.

Time ago i read The First Law trilogy by Abercombie, which is a good reading indeed, but he literally used a completely different registry for each pov chapter on the base of which character the chapter focused on. Cool, but insane :D Kinda tiresome on the long run.
"If Glokta had been given the opportunity to torture any one man, any one at all, he would surely have chosen the inventor of steps. When he was young and widely admired, before his misfortunes, he had never really noticed them. He had sprung down them two at a time and gone blithely on his way. No more. They’re everywhere. You really can’t change floors without them. And down is worse than up, that’s the thing people never realise. Going up, you usually don’t fall that far. "

A great saga indeed. I haven't read anything else by Abercrombie, but "The First Law" is painfully good.

And yes, a good character should be distinctive. And the way each one speaks is a distinctive feature. So it's a good design decision to give your characters a way to talk. Even repetitive own expressions that become "catchphrases".

Reactions: Machete
4.50 star(s) 194 Votes