RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
- tldr; The proper rendering work has begun, now that I've got enough written to stay ahead of the script. Also started writing a little short game directly connected to FiN, but I may or may not finish it. We'll see. And Carolina got a new cardigan.

View attachment 2939354

I've had a lot of people take issue with the amount of money the player has, but there is a reason I chose a relatively 'modest' amount of money for Guy/MC. On the practical side of things, 26 million is a 'small' enough amount that he feasibly could get it out of a crypto exchange, without a ton of fuss. And even then it's a bit of a stretch.

On the storytelling side of things, 26 million is enough that he can do a lot, but not everything. If he was Bruce Wayne (or Lex Luthor, depending on your morals..), then nothing he does would really matter. He could hire ten Nicki's, turn Barron Books into Barnes and Noble through monetary brute force, and buy Viola's apartment building just to punish Mr. Fowler. The fact that he has to pick and choose how generous he can be makes his contributions more meaningful.

On top of that, I've been trying to set up the whole idea that there is a divide between Guy/MC, and the people who are obscenely wealthy. We see him play nice with a rich dickhead in the Halloween Special, to avoid depleting his own warchest. We know that the mysterious Vaughn is someone who can throw away obscene amounts of money to chase his particular fetishes, similar to Guy/MC. And we know Risa comes from an 'old money' rich family, and that she personally knows people who dislike our hero because he's disrupted the social order. He feels like an upstart underdog because he is.

Finally, there is a bit of a social mission aspect to this game, where I use it to discuss things that bother me about the world. One of which is that our views on wealth have become so profoundly fucked up that we no longer have a sense of scale as to what real wealth is. People see YouTubers giving their friends Lambos, or Elon Musk buying Twitter for 44 billion dollars, and rather than think, "Jesus Christ, that's the operating budget of my mid-sized city for the next 100 years!" they think, "Huh, I guess that's not that much money."

But, I feel like this complaint is rooted in the same place as those about MC's inability to fight: people expect this story to be pure wish fulfillment, because let's be real, that's how 90% of these things go. I mean, if one more person asks me when MC is going to move out of his condo and buy a mansion for all the girls to live in.. :mad:

Like, there's a reason why we have Brent in the first chapter for contrast, who's willing to chase wealth and wealth-associated status symbols like Lamborghinis to his detriment as well as Nicki's. Our MC is just happy to have a car that works, and a nice place to live. Now, will he stay that way? He's only been doing this for seven months or so. So, maybe it's possible that his appetite will grow as he encounters real money, and the associated power it brings with it.

But, assuming that he only had 25 million after he bought and , paid off his debts, and then somehow found another $700,000 worth of shit to blow his money on -- that remaining 25 million would generate $1,250,000 in interest each year. Enough to pay Nicki's salary ($60,000), write a three-year grant to the museum ($150,000), renovate the bookstore ($100,000), and more. He could pay Pepper and Gabby's tuition at a state school, put Viola and her mom in a nice apartment, and still have a few hundred thousand dollars left over, without ever lifting a finger.

(I do leave taxes out of these calculations, because come on, how boring do you want me to be with all this?)

The point is that you don't have to be mega-wealthy to make a difference. Half of the working population in the United States can't weather a $500 emergency. To say nothing of tens of thousands of dollars. But for the player, it is ultimately a drop in the bucket, driving home exactly how unfair the world is. He lucked into so much money that he can easily alleviate the problems of a lot of deserving people, and he's not even worth as much as some second-string NFL player that's been on the bench all season.

Thanks! I honestly stopped managing the thread so directly, since it was just one more thing on my plate. But, I should probably review some stuff in the OP.
Agree. With this ammount of money if Guy is not stupid enough to waste it on buying ultra expensive things or especulation at stock markets he could literally make more money out of it with little effort (welcome to savage capitalism).
He is bound to have a lot more after a single decade despite all his "friends in need" charity work.

ps: when is he buying that mansion?
*runs away :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Clearly that is gonna happen at the end of the game when he has his harem of girls all secured lol
For real that would be a funny optional ending to me especially since I prefer solo routes.
I'd be so happy, this is the only non harem game I'm playing.

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
I'd be so happy, this is the only non harem game I'm playing.
for real I dont enjoy harems that much at all. sometimes I forget to look at the tags and whole of sudden harem but i keep playing it anyways as I dont really like to drop a game once I start unless i really hate it.

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
for real I dont enjoy harems that much at all. sometimes I forget to look at the tags and whole of sudden harem but i keep playing it anyways as I dont really like to drop a game once I start unless i really hate it.
Different strokes, I drop most off them once I realize I have to pick. Too real-life for my tastes, plus I'm not gonna replay for other routes, it's just not a thing I do.

Reactions: Master of Puppets

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
When I eventually take a break from other AVN's ive never played I might have to replay this again soon just cause of Nicki

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
I've had a lot of people take issue with the amount of money the player has, but there is a reason I chose a relatively 'modest' amount of money for Guy/MC. On the practical side of things, 26 million is a 'small' enough amount that he feasibly could get it out of a crypto exchange, without a ton of fuss. And even then it's a bit of a stretch.

On the storytelling side of things, 26 million is enough that he can do a lot, but not everything. If he was Bruce Wayne (or Lex Luthor, depending on your morals..), then nothing he does would really matter. He could hire ten Nicki's, turn Barron Books into Barnes and Noble through monetary brute force, and buy Viola's apartment building just to punish Mr. Fowler. The fact that he has to pick and choose how generous he can be makes his contributions more meaningful.

On top of that, I've been trying to set up the whole idea that there is a divide between Guy/MC, and the people who are obscenely wealthy. We see him play nice with a rich dickhead in the Halloween Special, to avoid depleting his own warchest. We know that the mysterious Vaughn is someone who can throw away obscene amounts of money to chase his particular fetishes, similar to Guy/MC. And we know Risa comes from an 'old money' rich family, and that she personally knows people who dislike our hero because he's disrupted the social order. He feels like an upstart underdog because he is.

Finally, there is a bit of a social mission aspect to this game, where I use it to discuss things that bother me about the world. One of which is that our views on wealth have become so profoundly fucked up that we no longer have a sense of scale as to what real wealth is. People see YouTubers giving their friends Lambos, or Elon Musk buying Twitter for 44 billion dollars, and rather than think, "Jesus Christ, that's the operating budget of my mid-sized city for the next 100 years!" they think, "Huh, I guess that's not that much money."

But, I feel like this complaint is rooted in the same place as those about MC's inability to fight: people expect this story to be pure wish fulfillment, because let's be real, that's how 90% of these things go. I mean, if one more person asks me when MC is going to move out of his condo and buy a mansion for all the girls to live in.. :mad:

Like, there's a reason why we have Brent in the first chapter for contrast, who's willing to chase wealth and wealth-associated status symbols like Lamborghinis to his detriment as well as Nicki's. Our MC is just happy to have a car that works, and a nice place to live. Now, will he stay that way? He's only been doing this for seven months or so. So, maybe it's possible that his appetite will grow as he encounters real money, and the associated power it brings with it.

But, assuming that he only had 25 million after he bought and , paid off his debts, and then somehow found another $700,000 worth of shit to blow his money on -- that remaining 25 million would generate $1,250,000 in interest each year. Enough to pay Nicki's salary ($60,000), write a three-year grant to the museum ($150,000), renovate the bookstore ($100,000), and more. He could pay Pepper and Gabby's tuition at a state school, put Viola and her mom in a nice apartment, and still have a few hundred thousand dollars left over, without ever lifting a finger.

(I do leave taxes out of these calculations, because come on, how boring do you want me to be with all this?)

The point is that you don't have to be mega-wealthy to make a difference. Half of the working population in the United States can't weather a $500 emergency. To say nothing of tens of thousands of dollars. But for the player, it is ultimately a drop in the bucket, driving home exactly how unfair the world is. He lucked into so much money that he can easily alleviate the problems of a lot of deserving people, and he's not even worth as much as some second-string NFL player that's been on the bench all season.
I see... that's really well thought out and solidly reforms my perspective, thanks.

Reactions: NeonGhosts

DrPoods

Jun 25, 2018
I can't seem to trigger the domination path for Gabby. Tried searching the thread and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Even tried downloading the taboo patch but am still not getting the options hinted at in the WT.

Any help would be appreciated.

soprano31

Engaged Member
Nov 12, 2021
I can't seem to trigger the domination path for Gabby. Tried searching the thread and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Even tried downloading the taboo patch but am still not getting the options hinted at in the WT.

Any help would be appreciated.
Make sure you get as few lust points as possible on the first visit,with her apology
Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 06-13-54 Friends_in_Need_Walkthrough_8_v0.4.pdf.png

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Gotta say, Nicki is a pretty amusing character, she's a clown car of bad decisions, just when you think that's it somehow another one gets out of the car. I've known a few walking disasters like her in my life but never to this scale...

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
Gotta say, Nicki is a pretty amusing character, she's a clown car of bad decisions, just when you think that's it somehow another one gets out of the car. I've known a few walking disasters like her in my life but never to this scale...
I enjoyed Nicki alot more than I thought when I first played. I wasn't big on her looks at first cause of the short hair but man she grew on me to the point she made it onto my top 5 on my personal LI list and i think I have around 70 LI on that list right now.

robrize2169

Oct 8, 2022
if i had to pick 1 fav LI from each of my favorite games, Nicki is definately top 10 for me. which is amazing, since after the 3 months later and no Nicki thing, i had intended to tell her to fuck off when she inevitably shows up again, but after hearing about the shit she has been through, i just wanted to hug her and never let her go. she brought out that protective paladin in me..

Reactions: Birdnman993

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
if i had to pick 1 fav LI from each of my favorite games, Nicki is definately top 10 for me. which is amazing, since after the 3 months later and no Nicki thing, i had intended to tell her to fuck off when she inevitably shows up again, but after hearing about the shit she has been through, i just wanted to hug her and never let her go. she brought out that protective paladin in me..
Same here I when she showed up I was like great she really is a gold digger and gonna try and get more money out of us but boy was I wrong and just like you just felt bad for her and wanted to help.

soprano31

Engaged Member
Nov 12, 2021
Yeah, I followed that it just stopped. I presume the only way for the domination path is the italics but I never even go to that point. MC just stopped. So I'm not sure if I'm on the path or not.
As mentioned,have you downloaded the taboo patch ?
then it should work normally,otherwise I wouldn't know.

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
Yeah, I followed that it just stopped. I presume the only way for the domination path is the italics but I never even go to that point. MC just stopped. So I'm not sure if I'm on the path or not.
Make sure you’re not using the Vanilla version of the base file.

You need to use the non-Vanilla version, Friends in Need, AND enable the patch, AND start a new game.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Small question for the dev, what's the names behind the code for hpoints and dkpoints? I'm imagining 'horny' and 'dick' but horny doesn't quite fit cause the options that grant them seem to all seem to be more like 'nice to me' points though i can see how that'd equate to 'how bad i want to fuck him' points. Still, i'm curious for the actual answer and not a theoretical one.

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
With Nicki potentially leaving the MC, he may need a new assistant soon.. :unsure:

Gab001.png

Small question for the dev, what's the names behind the code for hpoints and dkpoints? I'm imagining 'horny' and 'dick' but horny doesn't quite fit cause the options that grant them seem to all seem to be more like 'nice to me' points though i can see how that'd equate to 'how bad i want to fuck him' points. Still, i'm curious for the actual answer and not a theoretical one.
Happy points and dark points. When I redo the code and simplify variables, that'll change to lt/light and dk/dark points, to be more intuitive. :D

4.50 star(s) 190 Votes