Unity Furotic VR [2023-12-08] [FuroticVR]

2.00 star(s) 2 Votes

SaltyMan69

Mar 2, 2020
Sandbox implies there was something to do. It was more of a gallery than anything. Anyways, I unsubbed so I have no idea what the update was.
Maybe Sandbox was too loaded but I mean just literally a simple environment where all you can do is look at some shit
some guy put in there only to use your imagination and thats about it.

catsdino

Aug 6, 2019
Maybe Sandbox was too loaded but I mean just literally a simple environment where all you can do is look at some shit
some guy put in there only to use your imagination and thats about it.
Fair enough, I almost want to say this game got less features because you used to be able to at least influence parts of the character's bodies but now that's also disabled in the latest one I've played.

SaltyMan69

Mar 2, 2020
Fair enough, I almost want to say this game got less features because you used to be able to at least influence parts of the character's bodies but now that's also disabled in the latest one I've played.
When? Anytime I saw it wasn't possible.
All the good games even the VR ones lack limb influencinging.

catsdino

Aug 6, 2019
When? Anytime I saw it wasn't possible.
All the good games even the VR ones lack limb influencinging.
Only some of them could be influenced but it was quickly removed and by the last one nothing could be moved at all. I have no idea what's in the newest update. I personally started following eros again since they've been updating the game and adding to it frequently.

Last edited:

SaltyMan69

Mar 2, 2020
Only some of them could be influenced but it was quickly removed and by the last one nothing could be moved at all. I have no idea what's in the newest update. I personally started following eros again since they've been updating the game and adding to it frequently.
why would they remove that?

BaasB

Post Pro
Uploader
Donor
Respected User
Aug 5, 2018
2022-04-10
April Build -

Reminders:
Be sure to add the game to Steam as a "non-steam game" in your library, or the controls may not work!

Pull back on the stick to teleport!

The only buttons on the main menu which work at this time are the ones to change your size. The others are just placeholders for a future update.

The game is VR only. There is no desktop mode in the game at this time, and I don't know if or when I will add one.

Dark_Messiah

Apr 19, 2017
Disclaimer: I haven't tried this out myself yet. I'm going based on what I've seen on the devs' Patreon and here.

The first issue here is that we don't know what their plans are and what they're capable of implementing. I mean, at this point it might be a walking sim/tech demo, but from the sound of it they want to add in a bunch of natural interactions. The second you start adding VR interactions, things get a lot more complicated if you want to have a flat screen fallback.

The traditional keyboard and mouse setup are great for aiming and performing simple actions. When it comes to manipulating objects with two hands it gets dicey pretty quickly. Games that have complex interactions typically condense them down to individual keypresses, like the way the weapons handling in Receiver is implemented. Even in cases where pancake mode is implemented reasonably well (such as in Heat) it still feels like you're controlling a robot, and you lose the sense of immersion and interaction that you get from being able to fluently control two hands, but also your head. Something almost always suffers: you either end up with a dumbed down VR experience that's only worth it for the sense of scale, or a flat screen experience that's objectively worse than something designed for traditional controls.

Of course, if this remains little more than a model viewer for its entire life, then yeah, I completely agree. I know a few people who will straight up refuse to play non-VR games even if they're a genre that works well on a flat screen (FPS, etc) so I know that "VR or die" mentality all too well. It's beyond frustrating.

The second issue is that even implementing VR support can be a pain in the ass, and can be overwhelming to a small team. There's the more obvious stuff, like the player being able to move their entire body and hands around a scene, but there's also the more subtle stuff like controller support. With standard games/interactables you can assume that the player has access to a keyboard and mouse, and if they do have a controller it'll almost certainly be an Xbox, PlayStation, or Switch (Pro) controller, all of which have the same general layout. With VR controllers you can't even count on the grip buttons working the same way, not to mention the myriad of issues caused by having to support multiple HMDs.

So yeah, VR is difficult, and trying to throw in a completely vastly different, incompatible control scheme in addition to the other controller options could easily overwhelm a small team. The result can certainly be worthwhile (the aforementioned Heat is honestly incredible if you have an HMD), but a lot of devs tend to bite off more than they can chew because engines like Unity and Unreal make it so easy to get started. All we can do is see where this one goes.
I will just say this, both VR and 2d controls can be done competently, for 2d controls, i'd direct you to illusion games, they give you a lot of control over a lot of things during scenes with simple mouse and keyboard, and it's not complicated, and i dont own vr so idk what counts as good controls there. But implementing both shouldn't be a problem. they made the 2d controls in the early 2000s when illusion games was in its infancy with a few people. If they could do it back then, then so can people now with far more improved tools. Will it take more time? yes. Will it take as much time as it did in the early 2000s to set up a similar control scheme? hell no. In fact i'd argue that it'd still take less time to set up both vr and 2d controls for a game than it did back then for just the 2d controls.

Last edited:

Dereth

Nov 12, 2018
I know my 1080 Ti isn't exactly what you would call "top of the line" for VR anymore.
But if a even more detailed game with a lot more happening on screen runs at 144hz on very high settings in VR...
The why does a cheaper looking thing with next to nothing in it run like hot garbage even on lower than standard settings?

Softscale

Game Developer
Feb 28, 2021
For a game that appears to be about 90% purchased assets glued together, there seems to be very little progress being made. Looking at one of the debut videos from almost a year ago (characters in idle poses scattered around a house) compared to the one released recently (characters in idle poses scattered around a house, but now some of their body parts have floppy dynamic bones), I can't really see where this is going.

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
I will just say this, both VR and 2d controls can be done competently
I thought I made my point pretty clear. I never said that it couldn't be done (I even brought up modern examples of where it was done, and why I personally don't feel it captures the same experience), I said that they were radically different and that not everything translates cleanly between the two. You're bringing up examples of games that were built from the ground up as a desktop experience, so obviously they have a workable flatscreen experience.

Translating VR to 2D tends to require a lot of thought, as you're migrating two fully 3D controllers that can be moved independently into a keyboard and mouse. If we're talking about a lone developer that translates to a fair amount of design and development, coupled with them trying to flesh out the core experience at the same time, with a ton of testing on top of all that.

And again: wanking with a VR controller still feels awkward, but it still feels better than doing it with a mouse. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2.00 star(s) 2 Votes