TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
I really like the UI presentation of the game and little touches like the warning and "how-to-play" screens. The About screen with full credits is nice to see. Together they make the game look professional and more like a regular commercial game. I especially like the sound effect words. Brings a little unique touch to the game. Though the word casting a shadow caused a little cognitive dissonance.

I am concerned about the logo and the Journal button during gameplay especially on an OLED monitor. The logo itself is very distracting and really detracts from the presentation of the game. Wish there is an option to remove it. As for the Journal button it would be great if it was semi-transparent.

Are there plans to have the gallery part of the journal be on the main menu? Chapter select is not a good substitute. And where applicable the gallery items like the daydreams should be replays instead of image viewer.

Finally, please consider a music player too. It would be nice to access the music directly from the main menu.

Pardon the complains and requests, please keep up the good work and I look forward to further chapters.
Thanks for the kind words! Quick thoughts about your suggestions:
  • Journal button transparency: I'll give it a look. Not opposed to changing this.
  • Corner logo: Was meant as an initial half-hearted attempt to stop people from creating videos of my game to post elsewhere and pass off as their own. This was especially important to me in the beginning, when the success of the VN was totally unknown. I'll likely remove this at some point. Not sure when.
  • Gallery in the main menu, full replays instead of image set: No plans at this time. The gallery is reserved for the unlockable scenes. This serves to let the player know, if in Normal Mode, which puzzles were completed if they decided to skip any. Many scenes don't fall into this category, and wouldn't be included in the gallery in the first place. I feel that having up to seven bookmarks in each chapter through Chapter Select (not merely starting the chapter from the beginning, but having several starting points throughout the chapter) is sufficient to allow replaying sequences, and keeps me from having to manage at least twice as many starting points in each chapter, with all the variable/audio/etc cues that would need to be tracked to do so. I'd rather spend that effort on moving forward; there's already too much lateral work as it is.
  • Music player: There is a music player in the Puzzles menu (main menu, top right). It currently just has some of the calmer music from the VN, but I might consider adding some of the others if I can think of a clean way to categorize the music intensity.

asahibito

Modder
Jan 17, 2021
Thanks for the kind words! Quick thoughts about your suggestions:
  • Journal button transparency: I'll give it a look. Not opposed to changing this.
  • Corner logo: Was meant as an initial half-hearted attempt to stop people from creating videos of my game to post elsewhere and pass off as their own. This was especially important to me in the beginning, when the success of the VN was totally unknown. I'll likely remove this at some point. Not sure when.
  • Gallery in the main menu, full replays instead of image set: No plans at this time. The gallery is reserved for the unlockable scenes. This serves to let the player know, if in Normal Mode, which puzzles were completed if they decided to skip any. Many scenes don't fall into this category, and wouldn't be included in the gallery in the first place. I feel that having up to seven bookmarks in each chapter through Chapter Select (not merely starting the chapter from the beginning, but having several starting points throughout the chapter) is sufficient to allow replaying sequences, and keeps me from having to manage at least twice as many starting points in each chapter, with all the variable/audio/etc cues that would need to be tracked to do so. I'd rather spend that effort on moving forward; there's already too much lateral work as it is.
  • Music player: There is a music player in the Puzzles menu (main menu, top right). It currently just has some of the calmer music from the VN, but I might consider adding some of the others if I can think of a clean way to categorize the music intensity.
Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear about the logo and understand the concern about people claiming your work.

I found the Journal button at 70% of its current size and under 50% transparency sits neatly at the top right corner without overpowering the scene.

I can understand about the extra work needed for standalone replay gallery and music player. Definitely would prefer the time be spent on progressing the game story. Since I do like those features I will develop a mod for them and perhaps share with the community here.

Reactions: Udayana

f95poke

Apr 21, 2017
Okay, but for real, is it actually possible to do all these puzzles without guesswork? I like the puzzles, I think it's so inventive that the dev came up with this completely new and fun sort of puzzle. And I have spent an inordinate amount of time with them and I don't think I'm stupid or generally bad at these logic puzzles, they remind me a bit of Sudoku, which I love, but only harder. All of which is fine.

But I have yet to solve a single one of these bigger ones where I didn't have to, at some point, just make a guess for a sub-region, see where it leads me, and hope I can retrace my steps when it leads to a contradiction. Which is also something that happens with Sudokus when they're badly designed. And on some of them, I got really far, like puzzle #10 I got like 2/3 of the way through without guessing, so I'm obviously capable of applying these complex rules but then I was just stuck.

So are they made to be possible to solve without guessing at any one point? Or is sometimes just making a guess part of the necessary deduction to solve it? If the latter, that's just bad puzzle design, if that's the case.

Either way, I think most of these puzzles are too hard. I know, I know, there is the story mode, but like I said, I like the puzzles, I would like to solve them and have these mini-games in between. But even if they are possible to solve without guessing, they just take way too long and literally make my boner go down :ROFLMAO:
Either the puzzles are extreamely difficult and there is a lack of intermediate puzzles* or the entire game is flawed and you must always work through multiple possibilities, only to trace back and figure out which guess-timate was the wrong one. The more complex these puzzles get, the more branches there are for possible guesses that work into the puzzle.

I've watched sudoku players solve puzzles with 0-4 digits on the puzzle with a specific rule set, but they are really hard for most people to do. There are so many logic tricks as well as memorizing certain patterns.

I doubt less than 1% players solved all puzzles without hints/solutions and made no guesses.

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
Either the puzzles are extreamely difficult and there is a lack of intermediate puzzles* or the entire game is flawed and you must always work through multiple possibilities, only to trace back and figure out which guess-timate was the wrong one. The more complex these puzzles get, the more branches there are for possible guesses that work into the puzzle.

I've watched sudoku players solve puzzles with 0-4 digits on the puzzle with a specific rule set, but they are really hard for most people to do. There are so many logic tricks as well as memorizing certain patterns.

I doubt less than 1% players solved all puzzles without hints/solutions and made no guesses.
I've mentioned this before: Almost all the moves are deducible with direct logic of the next one or two steps. Very few moves require looking ahead more than this. You shouldn't ever really feel like you need to solve through random guesswork; even with the 5-star puzzles, there is a sequential logical flow.

When I'm designing these puzzles, I apply the ruleset and various logic tricks for every single move as I build it up. At no point am I injecting logic-less guesswork into the solution.

For example, see my comment here where I walk through the crux in Daydream 10:
https://f95zone.to/threads/futagenesis-unveiled-v0-06-2-tessaxyz.130936/post-11685287
This section is one of the hardest in the game (so far), besides the crux in Daydream 11. But there's no guesswork really needed here.

Last edited:

f95poke

Apr 21, 2017
I've mentioned this before: Almost all the moves are deducible with direct logic of the next one or two steps. Very few moves require looking ahead more than this. You shouldn't ever really feel like you need to solve through random guesswork; even with the 5-star puzzles, there is a sequential logical flow.

When I'm designing these puzzles, I apply the ruleset and various logic tricks for every single move as I build it up. At no point am I injecting logic-less guesswork into the solution.

For example, see my comment here where I walk through the crux in Daydream 10:
https://f95zone.to/threads/futagenesis-unveiled-v0-06-2-tessaxyz.130936/post-11685287
This section is one of the hardest in the game (so far), besides the crux in Daydream 11. But there's no guesswork really needed here.
I will check it out later, I think I finally understand it.

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
I will check it out later, I think I finally understand it.
I saw your comment asking about Daydream 7, but it's gone now. I'm guessing you found that one region that was fully highlighted in the top right.

KrystofDayne

Donor
Dec 9, 2019
Either the puzzles are extreamely difficult and there is a lack of intermediate puzzles* [...]
I think that last part is key. After replaying the game, I did a lot better with the puzzles (even though I didn't actually remember the solution) because I was more familiar with the mechanics and saw through the logic better. It's just a very complicated and unique puzzle with lots of rules and when you're starting out, it's hard to keep track of everything but when you've done more of the puzzles, you get like a more intuitive and quick feel for them and more immediately see the logic progression. But just playing it through for the first time, never having played these puzzles before, I agree that they jump up in difficulty too quickly. You haven't gotten time to really get used to the rule set yet before you're already at like 4-star puzzles.

Kind Nightmares

Instinct Unleashed developer
Game Developer
Oct 1, 2019
I finally got the opportunity to play the latest update and, as always, everything is at the highest level.

I hadn't noticed this character before, but she has a funny name. Like three Slavic female names in one. Curious who is she.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I also wonder if we can expect that in the future there may be an opportunity to tone up her muscles and body just a little bit, until the first signs of six-pack, for example?

Udayana

Oct 19, 2021
I also wonder if we can expect that in the future there may be an opportunity to tone up her muscles and body just a little bit, until the first signs of six-pack, for example?
May I know what you call six-pack? Visible abdominals?

Codesterz

Jul 3, 2017
Just started playing this today and am enjoying so far, but would really like to see sex sounds on a different sound setting than music. Just begging to get someone in trouble or put into an awkward situation. I had the music volume all the way up and sound effects really low, but that didn't stop them BJ sounds from being really loud out of nowhere. Visuals won't go through a wall and a closed door, but audio can.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TessaXYZ

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
Happy Halloween!
Ancient Rites
, the "witches"-themed minicomic that won a recent poll, is now available on Patreon!
In this fully-texted 35-page minicomic, Jenny takes the role of Jennerva the Wood Witch. She must perform a dark ritual to save her coven from destruction!
Sapphire/Gold Patrons (2560x1440):
Silver Patrons (1920x1080):

tessxyz_witches2023_2K_0.png

4.70 star(s) 60 Votes