Jun 10, 2019
its rare to see a friendly community and friendly developers when online gaming is involved
usually its a toxic community with even more toxic developers (cough cough war thunder cough cough)
makes me proud to be here

Reactions: TRSA

Furabia

Donor
Jun 23, 2019
Just to keep everyone up to date;

(Or if that doesn't work, )
I'll be honest, every once in a while I daydream about getting into the game industry in some capacity, and maybe even creating my very own game suited to my own tastes... but every time I read devlogs and hear stories about delays and crunch-time and crazy work hours and bugs and features to implement and stuff... jeez it's seems like such an insane amount of work that it kills my aspirations instantly.

I used to have this notion in my head that making games was all sunshine and rainbows, but following various game projects over the years and reading news of the game industry as a whole really soiled my naive perspective lol

You even mentioned Cyberpunk and I just can't wrap my head around how a game that was in development for what? 6 years? With a huge team of professional developers working full time and crunch hours and still it released very buggy and unpolished, clearly needing at least another year to be considered finished...

I dunno how you people do it, because at least from an outside perspective seems like you have to be almost crazy or not ok in the head to willingly choose to work on games because it seems like a grind that frankly I'm not mentally prepared to go through no thanks, I'll suffice in supporting my favorite devs from the sidelines and leave the grind to them haha

dragonsix6969

Apr 26, 2019
I'll be honest, every once in a while I daydream about getting into the game industry in some capacity, and maybe even creating my very own game suited to my own tastes... but every time I read devlogs and hear stories about delays and crunch-time and crazy work hours and bugs and features to implement and stuff... jeez it's seems like such an insane amount of work that it kills my aspirations instantly.

I used to have this notion in my head that making games was all sunshine and rainbows, but following various game projects over the years and reading news of the game industry as a whole really soiled my naive perspective lol

You even mentioned Cyberpunk and I just can't wrap my head around how a game that was in development for what? 6 years? With a huge team of professional developers working full time and crunch hours and still it released very buggy and unpolished, clearly needing at least another year to be considered finished...

I dunno how you people do it, because at least from an outside perspective seems like you have to be almost crazy or not ok in the head to willingly choose to work on games because it seems like a grind that frankly I'm not mentally prepared to go through no thanks, I'll suffice in supporting my favorite devs from the sidelines and leave the grind to them haha
unfortunately now it's just business

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
its rare to see a friendly community and friendly developers when online gaming is involved
usually its a toxic community with even more toxic developers (cough cough war thunder cough cough)
makes me proud to be here
That means a lot; we genuinely do care about people's opinions about the game and their enjoyment of it (plus how happy they are about their finances regarding it), so I figure that comes off some on how the community reacts/what type of people gather within it.

Does anyone have a save for 27P? All the old links seem to be dead
I believe someone posted a save for 27P on the last page, within F95's servers itself, so it should still be up.

Personally, I really really like working on the game; if I could never have to sleep, eat, use the bathroom, etc. again so I could just work on things nonstop, I'd be elated.

It may seem like it's a mentally destructive thing from the way things are presented, yeah, and don't get me wrong, some stuff is a real pain to implement due to really having to fine tune it, or having continuity errors with the plot that I have to somehow find a fix to, or having a map issue that I really really want this particular feature in it but it just doesn't flow well as-is or is too hard or too easy, etc.

However, those are few and far between moments; the majority of the time working on the game really does make me happy, but I think that's also because it's our game, as opposed to say, working for a large studio on a game you really have no big ties to, no stake in, no "stamp of your own" to put on it.

Because of that, I think indie game development with a small team is a lot more rewarding and fulfilling than working on a large, AAA game where you're just "another cog in the system" so to speak, and under those conditions, crunch and overwork can be especially mentally punishing, you're right.

Situations like this also arise with AAA games because of burecratic reasons; when I did some work for some other "corporate" games long in the past, the number of ridiculous orders and backwards thinking that would come down from up high was insane. Months were sometimes wasted on the most mundane, pointless things that could have just been ignored or that even outright walked back progress on the game significantly for no reasons in particular.

When you have a large team, it's rare that the "hand knows what the foot is doing", and so communication problems between departments and tiers/layers of teams happen a lot more than you think.

All it takes for example is some guy in say, lighting environments, to get the wrong information that a blue tint was wanted for all the streets in the game, and so all the texture designers design the textures to mesh well with blue tinted lighting... except it was supposed to be red tint, so now all the textures have to be redone to work with the red lighting, costing days or even weeks of time. Compound errors like that over and over and over in development, sometimes to even a much larger scale, as well as people running on fumes from crunch time so they make even more errors, and you can see why games like Cyberpunk end up being delayed.

(Now, in our case, it's taken us 6 years simply because there's just a ton of content and we're only a few people working on this; that's the reverse problem with indie games, is while communication may be great, you can only do so much per day!)

unfortunately now it's just business
There's a lot of devs still doing this with passion; if we weren't, we wouldn't be giving people refunds whenever they asked, encouraging piracy so more people can enjoy the game, posting on F95 like this, or taking out a 5-figure loan just to get the game out faster.

That said, for some reason, people nowadays seem to think that you can only have one or the other; if a game makes good money and is marketed well, it's "business only", and if they are releasing the game for free and work themselves to the bone on it to the point of health issues, it's "a passion project".

I'd like to think our game is both of those, and there's many other games that are the same; making money on your game and managing it and marketing it doesn't mean it suddenly has no passion.

Like, imagine telling someone working as a doctor that they have no passion for their job to save lives, despite going through 10+ years of school JUST to be able to be allowed to be a doctor, just because they make 6 figures a year.

500K later, there's no need to pretend to be sorry.
Fairly sure this is a reference to how much money we've made on Patreon since we started given your other posts in the thread over time; what you have to remember is that it's been spread out over 6 years, and that almost everything has went back into either paying rent/food/bills or paying for voicework, sound effects, music, and so on.

This is why I'm personally still $15,000 in debt, and that was before we took out the loan.

Games take a lot of money to make; the average game you see come out of AAA studios costs millions of dollars, minimum. We're putting out something with more voicework (20 hours) and music (3 hours) than most AAA games, as well as a sizeable script (250,000+ words; for comparison, Final Fantasy 7's script is 344,000 words), but at a fraction of the cost, because the core team of three people (Frouge, Triangulate, and myself) are doing the work of about 10-15 different roles per person.

dragonsix6969

Apr 26, 2019
There's a lot of devs still doing this with passion; if we weren't, we wouldn't be giving people refunds whenever they asked, encouraging piracy so more people can enjoy the game, posting on F95 like this, or taking out a 5-figure loan just to get the game out faster.

That said, for some reason, people nowadays seem to think that you can only have one or the other; if a game makes good money and is marketed well, it's "business only", and if they are releasing the game for free and work themselves to the bone on it to the point of health issues, it's "a passion project".

I'd like to think our game is both of those, and there's many other games that are the same; making money on your game and managing it and marketing it doesn't mean it suddenly has no passion.

Like, imagine telling someone working as a doctor that they have no passion for their job to save lives, despite going through 10+ years of school JUST to be able to be allowed to be a doctor, just because they make 6 figures a year.
I didn't really talk about you, but about the gaming industry in general, the new games are very casual and simple and more like mobile games

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I didn't really talk about you, but about the gaming industry in general, the new games are very casual and simple and more like mobile games
Ah, then my mistake; was just going off of previous posts. I do think even some mobile game creators have a lot of passion in their games, though; Langrisser Mobile, Bloons TD6, Teamfight Tactics, Rogue Adventure, and Archero are some great examples, IMO.

OtakuGamer11

Jan 19, 2019
The latest save was for the other version, not 27P. Or at least it has unlocked stuff for the other version for me.

BTW, I did play a bit and got the milking machine trap animation/scene, but it hasn't unlocked in the gallery. Is that intended?

dragonsix6969

Apr 26, 2019
Ah, then my mistake; was just going off of previous posts. I do think even some mobile game creators have a lot of passion in their games, though; Langrisser Mobile, Bloons TD6, Teamfight Tactics, Rogue Adventure, and Archero are some great examples, IMO.
Teamfight Tactics oh i hate this parody on chess i remember i trying this play this game, meh. i love tower defense i remember best mod on metal slug when you have 2 line and you need defeat another side, kingdom rush, good too

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
The latest save was for the other version, not 27P. Or at least it has unlocked stuff for the other version for me.

BTW, I did play a bit and got the milking machine trap animation/scene, but it hasn't unlocked in the gallery. Is that intended?
The gallery currently is just a slapped on thing for the public demo; the full game will have a way more robust gallery, and yep, it'll have all sex content in the game :D

Teamfight Tactics oh i hate this parody on chess i remember i trying this play this game, meh. i love tower defense i remember best mod on metal slug when you have 2 line and you need defeat another side, kingdom rush, good too
Can't say I've played Kingdom Rush but I'll check it out once things calm down with the workload on the game!

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
v0.49's out on Patreon; this will be the last backer build until the game comes out.

Sporadic mini-builds will be released for free to the public for large scale testing purposes of remaining features if people want to test them (like testing 3 powerups at once, as there's over 19,600 combinations for those!), as well as weekly progress updates being posted here, on discord, twitter,etc.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
powerup checklist.png

Progress Report #1

These will just be short, weekly reports detailing what's been done with each portion of the game's content, through to the game's release.

These will be somewhat sparse for the next week or two as each of us are fairly focused on a single thing for the rest of the month, so there's not really much to specifically get into detail with.

---------------------------

VISUALS
  • Work is continuing on the True Final Boss fight

WRITING
  • Work is continuing on Databanks

GAMEPLAY
  • Powerups were adjusted to work on all levels, not just the Fire Level
  • A small number of reported bugs were fixed; the majority of bugfixes will come next week

SOUND
  • We've mastered (equalized/polished) the first phase of the True Final Boss fight
  • Work is continuing on mastering the remaining songs for the True Final Boss fight
  • All Fire Level sound effects were put into the Fire Level
  • A good chunk of databanks were recorded, and will be sent off to get sound effects and mastering done within the next day or so

OTHER
  • We've setup a Discord server for bugtesting the game and invited around 40 people to test the game
  • The picture up above for this post shows one of the documents they're using to test; this one is for testing 2 powerup combinations (we have another for single powerup tests vs enemies, level mechanics, etc.)
  • We've also made a series of maps just for testers to make testing easier; each map has all the mechanics and enemies for that given level in a small space
  • Going forward, this same group will also be testing things like cutscenes, map design, and so on
  • We (the Future Fragments Team) will always have final say on what we do or don't adjust, so don't worry; this won't become something where we alter the game significantly or anything like that, this is just for bug-finding so we can focus on the actual development of the game

As always, feel free to contact us over at the Discord on

Reactions: Asakura Ouryuu
3.70 star(s) 84 Votes