Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
Also, just setting up a navigate-able menu would be a nightmare
Ever heard about ? With them it would be EZ.
For you use case it would be more suitable to use , but it just an extension of tree.

In pseudocode it would looks like
Java:
class dialogue_node_base
{
    soundID* what character should say;
    string* subtitle;

vector<dialogue_node_base> possible routes from current node;
    dialogue_node_base* owner;
}

class fucked_up : dialogue_node_base
{
    soundID here point to FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.wav from assets library
    string here point to "my mouth are dangerously close to perform a blowjob" in strings table

routes here point to resist, give up, become a millionaire using webcam routes
    owner here could be null(ptr) if this is the beginning of a cutscene or point to whatever that predeces it
}
Of course if you dont parse cutscenes info (i.e. they located inside your *.cpp/py/whatever language you a using, not in plain text file) you should change pointers to strings/integers. But thats implementation details.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Ever heard about ? With them it would be EZ.
Yeah, this is effectively what we do for cutscenes with the tabs and flags system and such.

I guess what I should have said/clarified was that it would be a nightmare for us to setup in a user-friendly format: either they'd need to scroll through a very long list of hundreds of scenes (and that's just the base amount, not counting the variants), or we'd need to implement a user friendly "sorting" system by level, or by events in the scenes, etc.

Something that would make it easily navigatable by players, instead of just making them trudge through a really overly dense list of cutscenes, and doing that would be a pretty notable timesink when we're already having time-based issues just meeting deadlines.

Of course if you dont parse cutscenes info (i.e. they located inside your *.cpp/py/whatever language you a using, not in plain text file) you should change pointers to strings/integers. But thats implementation details.
This would be the second issue: there's nothing that parses the cutscene info in a "comprehensible" format, so we'd need to give titles/names/descriptions to every cutscene and every cutscene variant in the game, which would be a bit of a timesink.

Post-release though, never say never :p

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
setup in a user-friendly format
Group them by locations (underwater section, ice section, lava section, sniper section, racing section, stealth section, etc.), with nested cutscenes (i.e. lava level 1 -> at the beginning, lava level 1 -> when figure out that lava is actually quite hot, etc.).
Or just add search to "Watch cutscene" submenu, which would open nested/move camera to/highlight all cutscenes that have same word(s) in their names.
Some games that gave up on/dont want to structuring its systems (upgrading/researching/crafting/etc.) uses this as a last measure. Half assed solution but IT JUST WORKS :todd howard face: At least you didnt have to look through all list of options to pick one that you need.

there's nothing that parses the cutscene info in a "comprehensible" format, so we'd need to give titles/names/descriptions to every cutscene and every cutscene variant in the game
Well, thats a bad system design. Really bad, since it makes simple addition/removing of a cutscenes too big problem.
"-What this cutscene from? Hey, Johny, from where cutscene number 36 are?
-Dunno. Ask Tonny.
-Tonny, what the cutscene 36 are for?
-Dunno, ask Jane."
And so on.

Erbluhende

Jun 22, 2019
Hey man, just wanted to say good luck with the game! Been following silently since the first fire demo hit Newgrounds and I really like your approach of talking with fans. Enjoy your day :D

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Group them by locations (underwater section, ice section, lava section, sniper section, racing section, stealth section, etc.), with nested cutscenes (i.e. lava level 1 -> at the beginning, lava level 1 -> when figure out that lava is actually quite hot, etc.).
Right, but what I'm saying is, this would still create hundreds and hundreds of nests/things to look through. Generally, it's not too user-friendly to make someone parse through stuff like they're at a library.

An example of a game that does this fairly well is Detroit: Become Human, where there's a sort of visual interface showing small animations/previews of each core version, and then nodes for each variant.

However, they get away with having more "core" events than we do, but far less "variants" than we do, keeping the "tree" a lot shallower and easier to parse through.

Or just add search to "Watch cutscene" submenu, which would open nested/move camera to/highlight all cutscenes that have same word(s) in their names.
This would require a lot of extra work and time which we don't want to do for probably the 0.1% of the playerbase that would want to re-look up non-sex cutscenes to this degree without just playing through the game.

It would also result in a huge amount of potential bugs since some scenes could bug out when you just "jump" to them like that, which again would be a lot of time to fix things.

Well, thats a bad system design. Really bad, since it makes simple addition/removing of a cutscenes too big problem.
"-What this cutscene from? Hey, Johny, from where cutscene number 36 are?
-Dunno. Ask Tonny.
-Tonny, what the cutscene 36 are for?
-Dunno, ask Jane."
And so on.
The problem with your example here is that this has never happened and will never happen on our project, since I'm the sole writer and cutscene creator :p Also, there's only 3 people on the core team that would directly be interfacing with any of the cutscenes in any way:

Credits November 2020.png

But even with that, I've documented everything pretty thoroughly, both for myself as a writer and for our programmer and artist too in separate documents just for them.

Additionally, in a post above this one, I linked one of the scripts, which as you can see describes what each tab/variant does. Internally, our actual version of that document also has information on what room it's in, what other cutscenes and flags/etc. it links to, where it takes place on the map, and a lot of other things.

But that's not going to be great descriptors for a scene: I don't think it's going to be too user-friendly to look up scenes with 2-sentence long descriptions about each scene on the title bar for a given scene, and that's at a minimum.

When I mean user friendly, I mean something like:

Internal name for a song - "endbossp1.ogg"
Song's name in the soundtrack - "100 Years of Duty"

Detroit: Become Human again does this well, with actual cutscenes and events getting memorable names that can allow the player to quickly remember what was going on in that scene in just a few words.

The problem with our game is that due to the high number of variants, naming those variants in a palatable way is just going to be a nightmare, and a huge time sink.

Hey man, just wanted to say good luck with the game! Been following silently since the first fire demo hit Newgrounds and I really like your approach of talking with fans. Enjoy your day :D
Thanks for the support and kind words! Means a lot :) everyone's feedback is valuable, of course.

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
some scenes could bug out when you just "jump" to them like that
Again, bad system design.
If you was sure that cutscenes can be viewed in random order you should have been add additional layer of abstraction between "instantiate cutscene" and "actually show cutscene", where it would be possible to address problems like missing items/characters/level variables/etc.
I mean, in programming before actually making something you should spent at least five minute thinking how make it in such a way, to extend it in the future with minimal efforts.

From what I see now, I can tell that you not a very experienced programmer, which is okay. Im too not a veteran with 20+ years experience that "back in my old days we were program by moving electrons in processor by hands, without help of IDE and google/stack overflow". But lack of experience from you side makes this "too much variants" problem look silly from my side.

Also, never played Detroit, so I dont know what you mean by "cutscene handling in Detroit". Well technically I played it in one of my gf home, but I only managed to reach paint a picture scene. Then we moved to the main course. I fixed her computer and went home like a chad I am :cool:

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Again, bad system design.
If you was sure that cutscenes can be viewed in random order
They can't be viewed in a truly random order, though: the levels are linear in the order you go through them, so cutscenes can only be truly random within that level.

Additionally, there are a list of flags and checks that need to be set for cutscenes to behave in a certain way to get said variants: while this is easy to say on paper that this would work fine, it's another matter entirely to make sure there's no bugs at all, even with the best planned systems.

The way we have cutscenes and events setup is a custom, in-house editor too: it means making the cutscenes for the game itself is very easy, but it also means that trying to extrapolate that system to other setups like the one you're mentioning isn't that great, which is fine by us as that wasn't the intended use for it.

The cutscenes themselves are things placed down on maps that the player collides with and triggers: that's not an issue during gameplay, but for a cutscene to be pulled out of nowhere, where do you place the entities and things in the background? the engine would need to load that specific map up, and place the characters in exact spots, which again the engine isn't designed for as it's designed to work around the player character running into the events in real time, not having the sprite "placed" in a scene like a set-piece.

you should have been add additional layer of abstraction between "instantiate cutscene" and "actually show cutscene", where it would be possible to address problems like missing items/characters/level variables/etc.
We could, but again: more work for a system that wasn't a priority or part of the way most people would run into cutscenes. If we did this with everything in the game, we wouldn't have it out until 2050 :p

I mean, in programming before actually making something you should spent at least five minute thinking how make it in such a way, to extend it in the future with minimal efforts.
We did: we planned it out in a way that would work with the actual game's intended purposes.

From what I see now, I can tell that you not a very experienced programmer, which is okay.
Im too not a veteran with 20+ years experience that "back in my old days we were program by moving electrons in processor by hands, without help of IDE and google/stack overflow". But lack of experience from you side makes this "too much variants" problem look silly from my side.
Actually, I'm not a programmer at all. I posted the credits up above: did you see I wasn't credited as being the programmer? :p

Our actual programmer though I can assure you is ridiculously skilled: I would honestly place bets you would be unable to accomplish the level of programming/engine complexity he's pulled off with this game. The fact this game even runs without spontaneously combusting is a miracle in itself given the ridiculous number of assets, visuals, mechanics, and so forth in it.

And to be honest, I've heard this same response from a number of AAA programmers coming from 30+ years experience and with multiple games delivered on Steam that claimed they would have no problem taking on the kind of programming we had involved in our games.

Internal Interrogation, Reclaim Reality, and Eroding Ego all had programmers join up on those projects with those sorts of claims. Out of 5 total programmers who've attempted to help with programming on with that kind of experience, status and assurance that what I needed for the game, written out in clear, descriptive game design documents...

... all 5 were unable to deliver even a fraction of the quality/polish/functionality/bug-free coding that we needed, which was tbh, not even all that much we were asking for on those games; it wasn't complex stuff.

Frouge however has consistently been delivering quality programming since day one on Future Fragments (and he did on Reclaim Reality too), which is a game far more complex code-wise than II, RR, or EE.

The only other highly skilled, competent programmer I've worked with is, again, ironically, another guy that has no AAA experience, is self-taught, etc.

So in all honesty, if Frouge says it can't be done or it's a nightmare to do, I'll back him and take his word for it any day of the week.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
On a separate note though...

There's a christmas contest going on over here on F95 at
https://f95zone.to/threads/christmas-contest-2021-1200-pool.103176/

A number of smaller developers I'd like to at least get up for being on the list of people to vote for if possible, but I can't vote myself because i'm not a donor.

If they win, they get $250-200 so i figured it'd be a nice Christmas gift for them.

So if you wanted to, you could go to the vote link at https://f95zone.to/xmas_vote.php and then put in any of these threads as these devs qualify for all the requirements listed:

https://f95zone.to/threads/spunkstock-music-festival-v0-9-2-regulus.84487/
https://f95zone.to/threads/doki-doki-tri-line-quest-v1-33-70-purplecrit.77821/
https://f95zone.to/threads/dibs-tentacles-in-spaaace-v0-1-9-moxietouch.62809/
https://f95zone.to/threads/naylas-castle-v0-7-public-quidev.70149/
https://f95zone.to/threads/voidbound-v0-4-2-beta-public-cursed-atelier.43212/
https://f95zone.to/threads/book-of-korvald-v0-3-39-punching-donut.51901/
https://f95zone.to/threads/roshutsu-alpha-5-jaguar.64346/

Thanks in advance to any donors who voted :)

deekinftw

Mar 22, 2018
Because the game would be around 50-100GB of videos alone at that point, given that there'd need to be roughly 20 or so hours of video :p

Also, just setting up a navigate-able menu would be a nightmare: you'd have something like

• Cutscene #1 (John, made up name), Tab #1
    • Cutscene #1, Tab #1 (when Kindness is +10 or above)
      • Choice picked: "Don't help them close the door"
      • Choice picked: "Do help them close the door"
    • Variant from speaking to Bob (made up name too) before choices appear
      • Choice picked: "Don't help them close the door"
      • Choice picked: "Do help them close the door"
  • Cutscene #1, Tab #2 (second attempt)
  • Cutscene #1, Tab #3 (third attempt)
    • Killing John after talking on third attempt
  • Killing John before talking to him, while Violence is at highest value currently
--------------------------

Not every cutscene is this complex, but a good deal of cutscenes are more complex than this. (In the first level alone, there's 6 or 7 cutscenes that have 10+ variants).

For example, here's this one, with some things omitted as to not have spoilers shown: each "tab" is a variant of the cutscene.

The average complexity of cutscenes though, multiplied over 150 cutscenes and 120 databanks... it'd be a bit of a pain to scroll through and tab through to say the least.
Ah, didn't know the scope of what you had to work with. Yeah that'd definitely be an ordeal to pursue.
Thanks for elaborating.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Ah, didn't know the scope of what you had to work with. Yeah that'd definitely be an ordeal to pursue.
Thanks for elaborating.
No problem :)

Than what "game designer" is stands for?
From Wikipedia:

"Video game design is the process of designing the content and rules of in the and designing the gameplay, environment, storyline and characters in the . The designer of a game is very much like the director of a film in many ways; the designer is the visionary of the game and controls the artistic and technical elements of the game in fulfillment of their vision."

All three of us on the core team equally share this role.

Also from Wikipedia, game design constitutes designing:
  • Gameplay, which is the interaction between the player and the mechanics and systems
  • Mechanics and systems, which are the rules and objects in the game
  • Player experience, which is how users feel when they're playing the game
This is also why "programming" is listed separately.

While there are a chance that all 5 developers statements that their >9000+ years of experience was lie, I have a feeling that problem was not in their hard skills (i.e. how to code stuff) but in soft skills (socialization skills in general) or even team. I mean, five different programmers...with actual games...with, okay, some experience...in continuous sequence...that dont know how to code? Really?
It wasn't a lie.

The thing is, programming in the AAA industry is worlds different than doing it for a small indie team.

Programming for something like say, Grand Theft Auto V, requires the programmer usually to only worry about one single aspect of programming within the game, like say, the collision physics for objects, or the AI behavior for NPCs, or things like that.

For indie games though, Frouge has had to do the following, just off the top of my head:
  • AI behavior for bosses and enemies
  • 2D Lighting for lots of different objects / general lighting engine
  • Collision between the player and other objects
  • Gravity physics
  • Hooking up voicework, sound effects, music to events
  • Adding in and setting up proper animation cycles and effects for all visuals, parallax scrolling, enemies, etc.
  • Powerup implementation/addressing conflicts between over 19,000 possible combinations
  • The entire cutscene system / flag system
  • Platforming physics
  • The in-house editor for making levels
  • Save data and flexibility with it
  • Optimization and compression of all the above so the game runs well even on lower-powered systems
  • Controller support and remappable controls
  • Fixing all the bugs with the above that get found
And a whole host of other tasks he needs to do.

On an AAA game, the above tasks would be given to team of probably 10 or 15 different programmers.
On indie games like ours, it usually falls to just one person.

So, as a result, with your earlier example of planning for expanding the scope, that's just not something you usually do for indie games simply because you have to focus your efforts with the mentality of what's capable for a single person to do, as well as minimizing the time you need to spend on something while getting the most output/quality of gameplay for the player.

What I mean is:
they was unable to tell you, in such a way that you would be able to understand them, that implementing X not as easy as it looks;
I have a decent level of understanding in programming, audio design, game design, art, and everything else it takes to make a game, but I focus on what my strengths are. Because of this, I'm able to design individually catered game design documents that take into account just what is feasible for a programmer (or artist or audio person) to do.

But I'm not perfect: I still ask the programmer, after they've went over the sheet, if there's anything that's unfeasible. If there is, then I work with them to figure out a way to compromise to get something close to what we were going for, while still making it feasible for the programmer to do. And if that's not possible, then we scrap the idea entirely and come up with something different together.

(This is why I always equally share game design roles with the core team: I'm not a pro programmer or artist, so I trust them to know better than I what would be best to do in those categories, just like they trust me with story and level design and all the other things I do.)

---------------------------------

Here's an example task I asked one of the other programmers to do for a different game (Internal Interrogation), with all art and audio already completed and provided to them per the programmer's own specifications, using the image below:

stairs.png
  • The player starts the game at the bottom floor of this dungeon up above.
  • We need the player to be able to single-click the big double doors on the left if they want to exit the game.
  • We also want to have an arrow at the bottom of the screen (art was provided for this too), pointing downwards.
    • If the player single-clicks on this, the screen should fade out.
      • As the screen fades out over 2 seconds, the provided foot-step audio should play 4 times with an interval of 0.75 seconds between sounds.
        • After 2 seconds of darkness, the screen should fade back in over 0.5 seconds to the "Jail Room".
  • If the player clicks on the spiral staircase to the right, the first Dungeon should load.
The actual document I provided the two programmers working on this game goes into even further detail, linking to the files needed, showing a video mockup with audio and visual diagrams.

The above design instructions took two of those programmers working together three days to implement, and even then it never truly worked correctly.
There were numerous bugs, glitches, and other oddities, requiring multiple revisions to get it right at even a basic level.

---------------------------------

Feeling unsure of myself at this point, I showed the document and assets to a number of indie programmers who were working on other successful adult games at the time. Every one of them said they'd be able to implement it within an hour tops, and that nothing in it was complex, hard to understand, or too demanding of a programmer.

And the programming for Internal Interrogation was much, much simpler than even the most basic stuff in Future Fragments.

constant "how the progress on X?" ten times a day (are we there yet? not yet. are we there yet? not yet....are we there yet?);
I check in with my team about twice a week on average. I trust them to get their work done: they're adults.
If I check in more with them, or they check in more with me or other team members, it's because we're testing out things together to see how they feel when actually played, or we're hashing out game design choices we've made.

For the rest of the stuff you said, I'd be giving a similar response: people need to get stuff done, but I'm not going to police them over it. The last thing I want to do is to be "the boss" that "whips" people to get done: that kind of work environment helps no one. I'd rather have people on the team who are self-motivated and work of their own accord.

In general, I feel like this post is fairly cynical of both game development in general and interpersonal relationships within our own game. The post implies that the people on a team couldn't possibly enjoy working with one another, or be mature enough to behave like adults, or be able to actually treat each other like individual humans.

So honestly, while I appreciate your feedback, I'd like to actually keep the topic on-topic, and not keep going down the road of... well, all of this, because it's off-topic and it's clear you have a very different perception of what it's like to be on a game development team than what I've personally experienced, and it's unlikely we'll see eye to eye nor change either of our perceptions on things.

Last edited:

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
Programming for something like say, Grand Theft Auto V, requires the programmer usually to only worry about one single aspect of programming within the game, like say, the collision physics for objects, or the AI behavior for NPCs, or things like that.
Actually, usually there are two "teams", one work on engine in general (rendering, file system, collision detection, threading, serialization, etc.) other on game itself (scripts, level design, textures,etc.). In small studious they are usually a single team, without division on engine and game developer, while in something like EA/Ubisoft there are whole separate department that works ONLY on engine, like in Frostbite case.

• The player starts the game at the bottom floor of this dungeon up above.
  • We need the player to be able to single-click the big double doors on the left if they want to exit the game.
  • We also want to have an arrow at the bottom of the screen (art was provided for this too), pointing downwards.
    • If the player single-clicks on this, the screen should fade out.
      • As the screen fades out over 2 seconds, the provided foot-step audio should play 4 times with an interval of 0.75 seconds between sounds.
        • After 2 seconds of darkness, the screen should fade back in over 0.5 seconds to the "Jail Room".
  • If the player clicks on the spiral staircase to the right, the first Dungeon should load.
While it sounds simple, its unclear they should have been used some already existed popular engine (UE/Unity/etc.), some custom homebrew engine or create custom engine from scratch.
If popular engine it their fault to not knowing how they works. Knowing C++ and how to work with UE4 in it (not in blueprints) is now an industry standard.
If homebrew engine, its will take some time to dive into code that somebody wrote to figure put for it works and how it should be called/handled/etc.
If create engine from scratch, then yeah, it takes a little bit more time than two days.

In general, I feel like this post is fairly cynical of both game development in general and interpersonal relationships within our own game. The post implies that the people on a team couldn't possibly enjoy working with one another, or be mature enough to behave like adults, or be able to actually treat each other like individual humans (from someone who, by their own admission, isn't too familiar with indie game development or game development in general).

So honestly, while I appreciate your feedback, I'd like to actually keep the topic on-topic, and not keep going down the road of... well, all of this, because it's off-topic and it's clear you have a very different perception of what it's like to be on a game development team than what I've personally experienced, and it's unlikely we'll see eye to eye nor change either of our perceptions on things.
That was an actual examples how things are done in enterprise development (for and in BIG and small companies like Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Amazon, EA, you get the point) and how most programmers react to it. Yep, this is a cons of being a programmer.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Actually, usually there are two "teams", one work on engine in general (rendering, file system, collision detection, threading, serialization, etc.) other on game itself (scripts, level design, textures,etc.). In small studious they are usually a single team, without division on engine and game developer, while in something like EA/Ubisoft there are whole separate department that works ONLY on engine, like in Frostbite case.
Yes, and within those teams, people specialize.

When I last visited one of the large studios you've mentioned in this post, there was around 20-30 computers/employees in a single room just for a single specialized set of tasks (skinning models/textures, for example), and then that was repeated for multiple other rooms.

The same was true for a number of other games studios I've been at, too. I'm sure some places probably don't do it that way, but the majority of places I've been to and seen the development side of, didn't have people doing more than one or two specialties at most.

While it sounds simple, its unclear they should have been used some already existed popular engine (UE/Unity/etc.)
In the above example, they were using Flash. This was what they were most comfortable with, and they said they had 10+ years of experience in it, so we went with it.

After replacing them with another programmer after 3+ months of a general lack of progress, the new programmer started from scratch in Unity. The same general situation happened: said they were experienced in it, came from AAA and yet had numerous pitfalls happen.

Frouge, by comparison, has had no AAA training (or even any training at all to my knowledge) yet has been able to take on practically everything we've thrown at him for the game and been very easy to communicate with. He just "gets" what makes games fun and what needs to be done. Again, I would vouch for him any day of the week on practically any aspect of programming for games.

That was an actual examples how things are done in enterprise development (for and in BIG and small companies like Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Amazon, EA, you get the point) and how most programmers react to it. Yep, this is a cons of being a programmer.
I'm sorry you've had those experiences, that really sucks. But not every team, nor every situation, will be that way.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
10+ years of AAA Flash experience? How long ago that happened?
You can have AAA experience in other engines or skillsets despite having more experience in something else.
Flash was their most comfortable engine, but it wasn't what they did AAA work in.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
#27 December 24th progress report.png

Weekly Progress Report #27 for Future Fragments

DISCORD
-
STEAM -
TWITTER -
FREE DEMO -
MORE PLACES -

All links are for those 18+ of age and older only.

Zeddy

Jul 27, 2017
said they were experienced in it, came from AAA and yet had numerous pitfalls happen... Frouge, by comparison, has had no AAA training (or even any training at all to my knowledge) yet has been able to take on practically everything we've thrown at him
Hearing about stuff like this boosts my confidence a bit. I've been teaching myself for some time now and am currently learning Unreal engine. It's motivating hearing about the success of Frouge, someone who also has non standard experience.

HazumiCousin

Dec 1, 2019
i wouldn't mind some fail scenarios where you get captured 'hypothetical farm" and she has all this lewd sex happening around her and she has to maintain composure and escape a pure 'orgy' breeding room type of level. lol

Reactions: Enigmanic

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Hearing about stuff like this boosts my confidence a bit. I've been teaching myself for some time now and am currently learning Unreal engine. It's motivating hearing about the success of Frouge, someone who also has non standard experience.
Yeah, AFAIK this is his first "full" game he's ever worked on; I still can't believe it, but that's the truth.
Good luck with your own studies/experience :D

i wouldn't mind some fail scenarios where you get captured 'hypothetical farm" and she has all this lewd sex happening around her and she has to maintain composure and escape a pure 'orgy' breeding room type of level. lol
There's no "orgy room" in the game (and we're too far in to implement anything like that), but there IS a "the entire town gangbangs them" scenario if you get one of the bad endings by not finding all the Fragments or all the Gold Databanks.

Reactions: Zeddy
3.70 star(s) 84 Votes