HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
so there will be new events, dialogs and animations on the demo level? cool
The Electric Level is getting new dialogue branches/events for almost all cutscenes, as well as a few new databanks and four new NPCs/cutscenes, with two new sex scenes.

The other four level demos probably have less than 2% of their total story/cutscene content that'll be present in the full game.

beingalive

Oct 30, 2019
I don't post much but there's a lot of negativity in the past few pages I'm reading over... So I thought I'd put my own thoughts forward.

Release it when you are ready. It's not like you don't want to release it and keep from earning the money you'd get from a Steam release. That would be silly. I'm sure you're doing what you can, and you're clearly passionate about your project.

The demos are great so far. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the full release on Steam.

If there's cut content (due to Steam for example), I am hopeful it will be released elsewhere assuming it's not too terribly difficult to do (DLC or Patch?). You may have already addressed this.

No reason to pander to the frustrated and impatient on this forum, or really elsewhere. If one is upset and already providing you financial support through something like Patreon, they are always welcome to withdraw their pledge.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I don't post much but there's a lot of negativity in the past few pages I'm reading over... So I thought I'd put my own thoughts forward.

Release it when you are ready. It's not like you don't want to release it and keep from earning the money you'd get from a Steam release. That would be silly. I'm sure you're doing what you can, and you're clearly passionate about your project.

The demos are great so far. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the full release on Steam.
Thanks a lot; the well wishes are appreciated :)
That said, we do have to release it ASAP mainly because I'm just at my financial ends; our hope is that the release will be a "soft release", and we'll be updating the game practically daily on Steam for the first month or so to finish off anything remaining content-wise.

If there's cut content (due to Steam for example), I am hopeful it will be released elsewhere assuming it's not too terribly difficult to do (DLC or Patch?). You may have already addressed this.
Due to the way the game's setup, it's an all-or-nothing thing; we can't do patches, so we'd have to remove the content entirely without it being patchable-in.

That said, I don't think there'd be any content they'd want to remove, so fingers crossed on that one.

We do have free DLC planned in the form of map packs and of course general polish/bugfixes/extra content.

No reason to pander to the frustrated and impatient on this forum, or really elsewhere. If one is upset and already providing you financial support through something like Patreon, they are always welcome to withdraw their pledge.
That, or they can even ask for a refund too, but yeah, that's true. I'll probably stop replying to outright troll/bait posts from here on out so I can focus as much time as I can on the game itself; critique is fine, but the same complaints that've been addressed 100 times before probably aren't worth spending more time on.

dragonsix6969

Apr 26, 2019
I have already said that it is no need to tell a specific date, but they always saying, why? it just always looks like catching up on the hype and people, and then leaving, like in a fairy tale with wolves. This is not a "negative", it's just a sober look, you have to be able to distinguish it, the game seems to be good, though I don't like the last robot boss.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I have already said that it is no need to tell a specific date, but they always saying, why? it just always looks like catching up on the hype and people, and then leaving, like in a fairy tale with wolves. This is not a "negative", it's just a sober look, you have to be able to distinguish it, the game seems to be good, though I don't like the last robot boss.
We literally have to release in November, so we might as well let peole know that.

Future games wont have release dates though.

TheRealSomeone92

Apr 15, 2019
You stated a couple of months ago that (one of) your next game will be similar to FF but with a male PC.
Will it depend on how well FF sells if you guys continue developing games?

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
You stated a couple of months ago that (one of) your next game will be similar to FF but with a male PC.
Will it depend on how well FF sells if you guys continue developing games?
Well, either way, we'd still make games, it'd just be the difference between;

A) FF sells really poorly, can't come close to paying off debt, need to take on 8 to 5 office job or something similar while I work on games part time until debt is paid off
or
B) FF sells great, can pay off debt, and immediately go into new game full time while doing polish work on FF part time

Reactions: Konpon

Neverscored

Sep 23, 2017
We literally have to release in November, so we might as well let peole know that.

Future games wont have release dates though.
You have said you "have to release it" a couple of times now over the span of a year. You can't expect that to mean anything at this point. This recurring post where you insist the latest arbitrary deadline is "the last straw" and then delay the game anyway with some brand new excuse is getting old. For a spell the weekly updates started to say more or less the exact same thing after a certain point and I was asking myself what the point of even posting them was.

I'm struggling to figure out how a literal one-man studio like Scott Cawthon (to use a specific example) can pump out four or five games in the time this one has taken to get off the ground and his games all sold gangbusters. Either than 10 grand per month on Patreon is too good to give up after all this time (which I would understand, especially in the current global economy) or there is a serious unspackled hole in the competency of your team. We're starting to reach Valve levels of time spent working on a single title.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
You have said you "have to release it" a couple of times now over the span of a year. You can't expect that to mean anything at this point.
I think there's a bit of context missing there; we "had to release it... to not get hit with sales going on on steam, which would cripple our profits significantly, so we'd like to either get it out ASAP to avoid those sales, because otherwise we're going to have to push it months forward to avoid a deluge of sales".

This is the first time we've had to release because we're literally going far beyond broke (we already hit that a year ago), I've maxed out my credit cards and unless I want to not pay rent, we need to release in November.

I'm struggling to figure out how a literal one-man studio like Scott Cawthon (to use a specific example) can pump out four or five games in the time this one has taken to get off the ground and his games all sold gangbusters.
Because every game Scott Cawthorne's done combined, has likely less than half the content of our game.
There is very, very little dialogue across his games, almost no voicework, no branching storyline segments besides one or two of his games, and mechanically and programming-wise, his games are very simple/straightforward, with no physics to be accounted for (except for his very latest game AFAIK), with them all being effectively action-based point and clicks.

Also, he's using mostly the same engine between most of his games, which makes things even faster.

The platforming aspect alone of our game, even sans story, is far more complex than any FNAF game in terms of design, maps, programming, art demands, etc.

It'd be like comparing a Final Fantasy game to a match-3 game, and then asking how someone can put out multiple match-3 games in the same time period.

Yes, they do sell like gangbusters, but we're not in this to just solely focus on money makers; if we did that, we would have never picked a platformer (one of the worst selling genres on Steam), never made it highly focused on story to the point of having 1,000+ branching variants of cutscenes and 350+ NPCs (costs tons of money and time), nor would we care about bugs or design flow or a lot of other things.

We want to make the game that we wanted to make, and we wanted to make it at extremely high quality. Anyone can make low quality games; if we wanted to get into this to do something that anyone could do, we'd be wasting our time and yours.

(Not to say that what we're making is something ONLY WE could make, but I think you get what I'm saying).

Either than 10 grand per month on Patreon is too good to give up after all this time (which I would understand, especially in the current global economy)
I can't count how many times I've said this now, but yet again;

The current Patreon amount only pays for my rent and my electricity bill.
I am literally using my credit cards to pay for everything else (food, car payments, gas, internet, phone, etc.) because the Patreon money is not enough and has not been enough since mid-2021.

If the Patreon money were truly the thing that was keeping us from releasing, we would have shoved the game out the door in mid-2021, incomplete as it was, because we are literally going negative on credit card bills every month past roughly mid-2021 and have continued to do so.

The $10,000 is;
- Used to pay for music and sound effects and sound mastering (roughly $1,000-ish a month)
- Given to our lead voice actress for her tier (roughly $500-1000 a month)
- The remaining amount is then split three ways between the programmer, artist and myself

Which results in a grand total of $2833 (or less) a month, for pulling 16+ hour workdays 7 days a week.

Conversely, Steam and other sales platforms, we're projecting around $1,000,000+ in sales on in the first year alone.

Now, why on earth would we stay on Patreon solely and continue to lose money if that's the kind of sales we'd be getting with 45,000+ wishlists at $14 a sale after the platform's cut...

...when we could put the game on Steam, AND get Patreon money both for our new game?

The only logical, sensible answer is: because we're not milking the Patreon, we're wanting to put out the best game we can and have all the core content in, instead of kicking it out the door and leaving the players with an unfinished, poorly optimized game, just like 99% of games come out as nowadays.

We are literally going into $50,000+ debt solely to make sure the game comes out at high quality.
How people are deriving "you're staying on the Patreon and milking it" with that, is beyond me.

or there is a serious unspackled hole in the competency of your team.
It's not a competency thing, it's a "three people and two audio team members are attempting to do the workload of 100+ people on an AAA team by themselves". That is literally what it boils down to.

- 350 NPCs, all voiced, all with backstories that connect to multiple other character's backstories, all with branching cutscene storylines based on your 8 personality Ideals and other choices/actions done in-game, and full voice acting charted out on voice acting instruction sheets
- 1,000+ variants in cutscenes, hand-written (no modular/algorithmic stuff, it's entirely manual) and hand-plugged into the game, containing roughly 300,000+ words (probably even higher now)
- 25 hours of voicework from those voice actors, cut up, edited, mastered, added sound effects in, etc.
- 50 powerups with 20,000+ combinations that have to be hand-checked for bugs with a QA team of over 40 people using QA sheets and checking things off, fixing all the bugs that come from it
- 40+ endings between the bad endings, secret endings, and true endings, with 1,000+ words per ending, multiple songs, and artwork for each
- The programming to actually get all of this to not explode, files to be cached/loaded properly, etc.
- A single artist doing 20+ CGs with multiple variants, 30+ sets of tiles (background and foreground both), GUI, sprite animations, special effects, 20+ enemies and 7 bosses, and all of it hand-animated (no spine, no skeletons, no rigs)
- A ton of player quality of life things, from fully adjustable audio, to auto controller remapping with button art for the controllers, full remapping, unique code for multiple controllers on the market
- An entire level editor/cutscene editor built into the game that allows for extremely flexible scripting without making the game explode or having any bugs or issues for it, and then allowing map trading on top of that

This is only the most time-consuming things I can think of off the top of my head.
And yes, then the next question is "but why do all this then? didn't you realize it would take a lot of time?"
And the answer to that is; "because we wanted to, and yes, we did realize it'd take a lot of time".

As a final note, I've said it many times before, but future games will have no release date, until the game is literally complete, with bugs checked, and ready to be sold. I won't even hint at the year, the month, anything. Never ever again will we have this cycle of announcing release dates and such for any future games, cause I definitely learned my lesson this time around.

---------------------

I know I said I wasn't going to respond to posts like this anymore, but I figured if I just write it all out here, I can just link the post from now on when people state the same old "you're milking Patreon, you must have management/competency issues, these other devs got their game done faster than yours even though they have a tenth of the content" statements that've been mentioned time and time again with no basis in reality.

Last edited:

Neverscored

Sep 23, 2017
I think there's a bit of context missing there; we "had to release it... to not get hit with sales going on on steam, which would cripple our profits significantly, so we'd like to either get it out ASAP to avoid those sales, because otherwise we're going to have to push it months forward to avoid a deluge of sales".
There's two parts of this I don't understand. First: Steam can't force your game to be on-sale. They will send publishers and developers notices of impending sales which they (the devs) may opt in or out of. They can't ransom your game in any respect, least of all forcing it to be X price or discounted by X amount. "Delaying to avoid sales" is completely nonsense.

Second: there's no profits to cripple because your game isn't being sold anywhere except on Patreon. I don't refer to the monthly donations but the one-time payment of $20 you offered a year(?) or so ago. Related to this, did the people who paid that $20 receive a guaranteed release date as to when they'll receive their product? Is it even legal to just charge people for a product there's no obvious sign they'll ever be receiving?

I really hope that comment about sales was just a mistake on your part and not a lie. If you and your team tried to use that as an excuse within the next couple of months to explain away yet another delay you would be (figuratively) eviscerated by anyone with even basic knowledge of Steam's publishing process. It's not a secret. Please don't lie to your supporters.

This is the first time we've had to release because we're literally going far beyond broke (we already hit that a year ago), I've maxed out my credit cards and unless I want to not pay rent, we need to release in November.
I'm sorry your project has gone on so long that you're in a financially-bad position but what does this have to do with anything? If the trajectory of your personal life was actually careening downward and "just release the game early, we'll patch it later" was ever an option, why is that somehow more of an option now than it was, say, half a year ago? What part of the development process are we missing here?

Was it not possible to simply release the initial "Future Fragments" with some kind of cliffhanger that would give you some funds to survive on and then - later, - release a "Future Fragments: Part 2" with the WIP content? This isn't uncommon, I can think of three well-known game series who faced your dilemma and solved it that way.

Because every game Scott Cawthorne's done combined, has likely less than half the content of our game.
There is very, very little dialogue across his games, almost no voicework, no branching storyline segments besides one or two of his games, and mechanically and programming-wise, his games are very simple/straightforward, with no physics to be accounted for (except for his very latest game AFAIK), with them all being effectively action-based point and clicks.

Also, he's using mostly the same engine between most of his games, which makes things even faster.

The platforming aspect alone of our game, even sans story, is far more complex than any FNAF game in terms of design, maps, programming, art demands, etc.

It'd be like comparing a Final Fantasy game to a match-3 game, and then asking how someone can put out multiple match-3 games in the same time period.
I can't help but see this as needlessly insulting. Scott Cawthon was a single guy using a very rudimentary game engine to produce games and continued to do that even after he discovered his niche in the industry. He made five Clickteam Fusion games by himself, from 2014 to 2016. You have an entire team and haven't published one game since your Patreon began in January 2015.

I'm going to be painfully honest: if given the choice between one hyper-polished game (let's say Final Fantasy 7 HD Remake to keep with your metaphor) that took almost 8 years to develop versus a point-and-click Boo! Haunted House: Peep the Horror that released once per year, most people would pick the latter. People don't want to sit on their hands for eight years with nothing. Not only will smaller, tightly-designed games keep people entertained but it will also build up a larger fanbase and provide the developer (you) with funds to keep development going.

I'm not going to get too deep into your comments about "art demands" or level design when compared to the Freddy games. Apples and oranges aside, sprite animations and constructing/animating 3D models are both challenging in equal measure.

Yes, they do sell like gangbusters, but we're not in this to just solely focus on money makers; if we did that, we would have never picked a platformer (one of the worst selling genres on Steam), never made it highly focused on story to the point of having 1,000+ branching variants of cutscenes and 350+ NPCs (costs tons of money and time), nor would we care about bugs or design flow or a lot of other things.

We want to make the game that we wanted to make, and we wanted to make it at extremely high quality. Anyone can make low quality games; if we wanted to get into this to do something that anyone could do, we'd be wasting our time and yours.

(Not to say that what we're making is something ONLY WE could make, but I think you get what I'm saying).
This is where the problem lies if I was forced to guess, this pursuit of perfection.

There's unrealistic and terribly-common notion that polishing one thing for ages will make it the pinnacle of hentai platformers (or whatever) once it's finally released... and it frequently never is, because nothing is ever perfect, and thus it will always need "more polish."

The more I think about the development of this game the more I think episodic releases would have solved a lot of your mentioned development issues. Obviously I'm not a developer and will never know the entire situation, but if I had to ask myself whether I'd have bought "Future Fragments: Lava Zone" (which let's say took two-and-a-half years to make) and then waited a year-and-a-half to purchase "Future Fragments: Ice Zone", etc., the answer is... yes. I would have.

That would also be more games a website like this one would have to go find and "showcase", rather than the single Future Fragments we may or may not ever be receiving... just saying!

I can't count how many times I've said this now, but yet again;

The current Patreon amount only pays for my rent and my electricity bill.
I am literally using my credit cards to pay for everything else (food, car payments, gas, internet, phone, etc.) because the Patreon money is not enough and has not been enough since mid-2021.

If the Patreon money were truly the thing that was keeping us from releasing, we would have shoved the game out the door in mid-2021, incomplete as it was, because we are literally going negative on credit card bills every month past roughly mid-2021 and have continued to do so.

The $10,000 is;
- Used to pay for music and sound effects and sound mastering (roughly $1,000-ish a month)
- Given to our lead voice actress for her tier (roughly $500-1000 a month)
- The remaining amount is then split three ways between the programmer, artist and myself

Which results in a grand total of $2833 (or less) a month, for pulling 16+ hour workdays 7 days a week.

Conversely, Steam and other sales platforms, we're projecting around $1,000,000+ in sales on in the first year alone.

Now, why on earth would we stay on Patreon solely and continue to lose money if that's the kind of sales we'd be getting with 45,000+ wishlists at $14 a sale after the platform's cut...

...when we could put the game on Steam, AND get Patreon money both for our new game?
I don't know. Why aren't you putting the game on Steam? Why are you releasing free demos and openly, frequently communicating with a website specializing in the P-word? If finances are this dire then why hasn't a new plan been drawn up? Did you sign your sound engineer and voice actors to a lengthy contract? If you're confident in a million dollars in sales why haven't you approached somebody (a bank, a publisher, etc.) for financing?

There's a lot of questions that have me scratching my head surrounding this game. I can't figure out if the biggest problem is scope creep, mismanagement, staff changes, technical difficulties or something else. It's not even a case of TORtanic-esque "oh man, I sure hope they fail!" because I've been checking in on this game's progress on a monthly basis since it was announced. Shoutout to for being another developer who takes a long time to produce games but has actually released stuff.

It's not a competency thing, it's a "three people and two audio team members are attempting to do the workload of 300+ people on an AAA team by themselves". That is literally what it boils down to.

- 350 NPCs, all voiced, all with backstories/life stories, all with branching cutscene storylines, and full voice acting charted out on voice acting instruction sheets
- 1,000+ variants in cutscenes, hand-written (no modular/algorithmic stuff, it's entirely manual) and hand-plugged into the game
- 25 hours of voicework from those voice actors, cut up, edited, mastered, added sound effects in, etc.
- 50 powerups with 20,000+ combinations that have to be hand-checked for bugs with a QA team of over 40 people using QA sheets and checking things off, fixing all the bugs that come from it
- The programming to actually get all of this to not explode, files to be cached/loaded properly, etc.
- A single artist doing 20+ CGs with multiple variants, 30+ sets of tiles (background and foreground both), GUI, sprite animations, special effects, 20+ enemies and 7 bosses, and all of it hand-animated (no spine, no skeletons, no rigs)
- A ton of player quality of life things, from fully adjustable audio, to auto controller remapping with button art for the controllers, full remapping, unique code for multiple controllers on the market
- An entire level editor/cutscene editor built into the game that allows for extremely flexible scripting without making the game explode or having any bugs or issues for it, and then allowing map trading on top of that

This is only the most time-consuming things I can think of off the top of my head.
And yes, then the next question is "but why do all this then? didn't you realize it would take a lot of time?"
And the answer to that is; "because we wanted to, and yes, we did realize it'd take a lot of time".

As a final note, I've said it many times before, but future games will have no release date, until the game is literally complete, with bugs checked, and ready to be sold. I won't even hint at the year, the month, anything. Never ever again will we have this cycle of announcing release dates and such for any future games, cause I definitely learned my lesson this time around.
I'm glad you're learning from this experience. I'll withhold my cynical suspicions regarding this game's success when (if) it releases.

All I ask is: please, please, please consider limiting work to 1 or 2 years (maybe a bit more) with the engine, etc., you've already developed. Do episodic stuff. People will pay $10 or $12 for Faye's adventures through Casino Night Zone (or whatever). I don't have to tell you that you can accomplish a lot with just level design, some plot and a decent enough showing of h-animations. Resident Evil 2/3/Veronica is like 70% recycled assets and people ate it up.

I know I said I wasn't going to respond to posts like this anymore, but I figured if I just write it all out here, I can just link the post from now on when people state the same old "you're milking Patreon, you must have management/competency issues, these other devs got their game done faster than yours even though they have a tenth of the content" statements that've been mentioned time and time again with no basis in reality.
I mean it's up to you. Being the PR guy for this project seems like a nightmare so I won't blame you for getting frustrated. What I will say is if this game's development continues to see delays and the finances continue to take an (alleged) downturn, refusing to talk to backers or waiting fans isn't going to help.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
There's two parts of this I don't understand. First: Steam can't force your game to be on-sale. They will send publishers and developers notices of impending sales which they (the devs) may opt in or out of. They can't ransom your game in any respect, least of all forcing it to be X price or discounted by X amount. "Delaying to avoid sales" is completely nonsense.
Yes, I never implied otherwise.
However, you do realize that if there is a Steam-wide sale going on, that both logically and statistically, people will overwhelmingly spend their money on games on sale, and not the games that are not on sale, right?

When you first launch your game, you get 5 weeks of "visibility period" algorithmic pushing by Steam.
This means that those first 5 weeks are crucial to whether or not the Steam algorithm decides after it if you're worth continuing to be pushed up on feature lists and get more attention.

If you launch your game and it's right in the middle of multiple big sales, that means that Steam will, per their own words, literally not feature your game while this sale is going on. This means you're effectively setting your visibility period on fire...

...which means you're crippling your profits, both in the immediate term, and long-term per the algorithm.

Second: there's no profits to cripple because your game isn't being sold anywhere except on Patreon. I don't refer to the monthly donations but the one-time payment of $20 you offered a year(?) or so ago. Related to this, did the people who paid that $20 receive a guaranteed release date as to when they'll receive their product? Is it even legal to just charge people for a product there's no obvious sign they'll ever be receiving?
I don't even get the logic here, because yes, the game isn't being sold anywhere but Patreon yet, but we have 45,000+ wishlists on Steam. Steam will be easily 95% of our profits for the game.

And yes, it is legal to charge people for this. It's literally in the Patreon ToS.
Additionally, we've offered full refunds at any time, and have paid out over $20,000 in said refunds.

I really hope that comment about sales was just a mistake on your part and not a lie.
It wasn't a mistake, and it wasn't a lie. Please don't imply either.

I'm sorry your project has gone on so long that you're in a financially-bad position but what does this have to do with anything?
It's saying that the Patreon money is not sustaining us, and that we're not holding off release because of the Patreon money. Made that pretty clear in the last post, so I'm not sure what else I could say here.

"just release the game early, we'll patch it later" was ever an option, why is that somehow more of an option now than it was, say, half a year ago? What part of the development process are we missing here?
Also made this pretty clear in the last post; if we don't release it in November, I go homeless. It's not an option we want to do, and it means the game will have some stuff unfinished at release which we really, REALLY do not want to do, but we literally have no other option.

Half a year ago, we weren't in that state. Pretty simple to understand.

Was it not possible to simply release the initial "Future Fragments" with some kind of cliffhanger that would give you some funds to survive on and then - later, - release a "Future Fragments: Part 2" with the WIP content? This isn't uncommon, I can think of three well-known game series who faced your dilemma and solved it that way.
Yes, it's common, and it's atrocious. It's a terrible business practice and I would rather go broke and homeless than do it. I absolutely refuse to cash grab by splitting an existing game up into multiple parts.

I can't help but see this as needlessly insulting. Scott Cawthon was a single guy using a very rudimentary game engine to produce games and continued to do that even after he discovered his niche in the industry. He made five Clickteam Fusion games by himself, from 2014 to 2016. You have an entire team and haven't published one game since your Patreon began in January 2015.
Again, I'm not saying he's bad, but objectively, his games are extremely simple to program, design, and execute. That's all there is to it. Mario 1 on the NES is a simple game to program and execute. That doesn't make it bad, but it is a simple game. Is it an insult to say that Mario 1 is a simple game? I think most people would agree it's not.

You're comparing two vastly different games in genre, content density, and a million other factors. You can't honestly see that as a fair comparison.

I'm going to be painfully honest: if given the choice between one hyper-polished game (let's say Final Fantasy 7 HD Remake to keep with your metaphor) that took almost 8 years to develop versus a point-and-click Boo! Haunted House: Peep the Horror that released once per year, most people would pick the latter.
That's great, and I'm sure there's a lot of people who would agree.
But I'm going to refer you to what I said in the last post;
[We're making this game] because we wanted to.
It's that simple.

I don't care if the game would sell 2 copies and take 50 years, if that's what we wanted to make, that's what we wanted to make. Again, we're not in this to min/max effort/money. We're in this to make games we want to make, all other things and costs be damned.

This is why we have our Patreon setup as we do where;
- you only have to back us once to get rewards for life
- you can ask for a full refund at any time, for any reason

So that backers can only back as much as they want, and if they want it back, they can get it back in full.
We're not going to be held hostage by anyone or anything when it comes to what games we want to make. Market appeal, what's popular, what's not, doesn't matter.

People don't want to sit on their hands for eight years with nothing.
If you think the playable demos and content we've put out so far is "nothing", then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not going to get too deep into your comments about "art demands" or level design when compared to the Freddy games. Apples and oranges aside, sprite animations and constructing/animating 3D models are both challenging in equal measure.
Challenging, sure. Time consuming, no, there is no comparison. There's a reason why almost every animated show on the market is switching to full 3D or pseudo 3D, or if they're 2D, they're using skeletons/rigs/spine/live2D etc.

Pure hand-animated 2D is extremely time-consuming, period.

This is where the problem lies if I was forced to guess, this pursuit of perfection.
As noted in a post juuuuust a few posts above yours, we're not even close to aiming for perfection. https://f95zone.to/threads/future-fragments-v0-27ex-march-2022-demo-hentaiwriter.1550/post-9118274

This covers the tons of things we've removed from the game solely to get it out faster. We're not aiming for perfection, especially since that's a terrible thing to aim for because it means you would have hit your peak, we're aiming to get all the core content out at a minimum.

The more I think about the development of this game the more I think episodic releases would have solved a lot of your mentioned development issues. Obviously I'm not a developer and will never know the entire situation, but if I had to ask myself whether I'd have bought "Future Fragments: Lava Zone" (which let's say took two-and-a-half years to make) and then waited a year-and-a-half to purchase "Future Fragments: Ice Zone", etc., the answer is... yes. I would have.
We did do "episodic releases" through the demos.
We can't do true episodic releases though because all the levels are linked to one another, as well as your choices in that given level. We would have needed to have the entire engine, all the voice actors assembled, all the artwork, programming, sound effects, etc. to do something like that.

If we didn't, then as we went along, we would have had to update previous levels to match in quality and content, which would have been a nightmare (which is specifically why we did the demo levels separate in the first place).

That would also be more games a website like this one would have to go find and "showcase", rather than the single Future Fragments we may or may not ever be receiving... just saying!
Yes, and it would be scummy to do so. We promised the full game experience. We're not going to split the game up into parts just to get more attention or more money. I don't know how much clearer I can make this.

We have countless other games planned, and now with our complete engine, future games should take much less time to make, but we will never, ever split up games into pieces like that, nor charge for DLC, nor release something mostly incomplete and "patch it later". Ever.

I don't know. Why aren't you putting the game on Steam?
Because it's not ready yet. It's that simple.
So we've got until sometime in November to get it as ready as possible, before we're forced to release it.

Why are you releasing free demos and openly, frequently communicating with a website specializing in the P-word?
Because player enjoyment and making the game we want to make simultaneously are the most important things to us. We literally have a line in the demos themselves that outright says if you can't afford the game, you should pirate it until you can afford it down the line.

We have regional pricing planned for Steam, which will allow people to get the game for far cheaper than $20 USD as well.

For the 1,000th time; we are not in this to milk people out of money at all costs and scam people with partial stuff. I would think that our repeated actions that can be observed just by seeing how our Patreon is setup, our actions regarding Steam, the demos, the take on piracy, etc. would have shown that a million times over.

If finances are this dire then why hasn't a new plan been drawn up?
Do you think money just comes out of thin air? Do you think we can go on Shark Tank and ask for more money? Or that our family members are loaded or something? What "new plan" would be drawn up to magically make $50,000 in credit card debt vanish?

Did you sign your sound engineer and voice actors to a lengthy contract?
We're paying them per piece of work; it's not a salary-based thing.

If you're confident in a million dollars in sales why haven't you approached somebody (a bank, a publisher, etc.) for financing?
Because we don't want to give up publishing rights, let alone 30% of our profits to a publisher, when I've been the one busting my ass marketing the game. It would make no sense. No one is going to know our game better than us, which means no one's going to be able to market it as best as we can. (Plus, many publishers want to alter games in ways to fit things better according to them, and that's the last thing we want.)

Hell, every publisher I've spoken to anyways in the past has said that we shouldn't publish with anyone else because we're strong enough with self-publishing.

There's a lot of questions that have me scratching my head surrounding this game. I can't figure out if the biggest problem is scope creep
Answered this before, we've had a game design document from 2017 that lists out everything I wrote in my earlier post. Hasn't changed. Zero scope creep. We've cut out numerous things, as also noted in this post. We wanted to make a big game for the last few years, hasn't changed.

It's not anything else you listed, either.

It's literally what I wrote in my last post.

AAA-level content, divided by a team of 5 people. You could be the best manager in the world with the most skilled people in the world and you wouldn't get the game done much faster than we had with the amount of content we've had planned, with one exception.

And that is, experience in knowing that something does or doesn't work with the gameplay, which is only testable once it's actually in the game. Many times we added in a new element to the game we'd had planned for months or years, only to realize that in actual gameplay, it wasn't good enough for us, so we scrapped it, but we'd spent that time integrating it.

And yes, you can do models and so on to get a rough idea of things, but that's just not good enough. Doing that stuff doesn't give a good enough idea of if it's truly something good.

I'm glad you're learning from this experience. I'll withhold my cynical suspicions regarding this game's success when (if) it releases.
I still find it funny people will say "if it releases" as if we'd do all this work and then just not release it and stay in debt.

All I ask is: please, please, please consider limiting work to 1 or 2 years (maybe a bit more) with the engine, etc., you've already developed. Do episodic stuff. People will pay $10 or $12 for Faye's adventures through Casino Night Zone (or whatever). I don't have to tell you that you can accomplish a lot with just level design, some plot and a decent enough showing of h-animations. Resident Evil 2/3/Veronica is like 70% recycled assets and people ate it up.
Future games will take around 2-3 years tops thanks to having a solid engine of ours now, but will not skimp on content. Absolutely no way for episodic stuff, and absolutely no way for just skirting by with bare minimum effort.

Future games won't be platformers, to note; each new game will be in a new genre, new aesthetic, etc. but with all the games interlinked with an overarching storyline.

I mean it's up to you. Being the PR guy for this project seems like a nightmare so I won't blame you for getting frustrated. What I will say is if this game's development continues to see delays and the finances continue to take an (alleged) downturn, refusing to talk to backers or waiting fans isn't going to help.
I'm totally fine talking to backers and people with questions or critiques; I think I've proven that through all the replies here.
But when people keep bringing up the exact same things that I've literally answered a few posts above their post, that's just a waste of time to type out.

Last edited:

smithsmithsmith

Aug 16, 2018
I'm totally fine talking to backers and people with questions or critiques; I think I've proven that through all the replies here.
But when people keep bringing up the exact same things that I've literally answered a few posts above their post, that's just a waste of time to type out.

Honestly just start linking back to your last two posts. Though it'll still be wasted effort for some people, especially if they're making the point that "you could've released 350963046e meet n' fuck games in this time" in spite of everything that's been said.

• Angry
Reactions: dragonsix6969

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Honestly just start linking back to your last two posts. Though it'll still be wasted effort for some people, especially if they're making the point that "you could've released 350963046e meet n' fuck games in this time" in spite of everything that's been said.
Yeah, pretty much.

bricksticks

Jun 30, 2017
HW is out here doing god's work. There are way too many haters jumping on to bash a pretty reasonable release date pushback thinking games should all be pumped out like an assembly line. Ya gotta let a guy put some time and heart into his work when he needs, and ya gotta let a guy make his own money choices to avoid falling into literal bankruptcy. You're still getting your long awaited hentai, but we gotta take a step back and realize HW is making hard choices and trying to prioritize their own well-being.

Stay strong, HW. You're killing it out there.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
#62 October 7th progress report.png

Weekly Progress Report #62 for Future Fragments

DISCORD
-
STEAM -
TWITTER -
FREE DEMO -
MORE PLACES -

All links are for those 18+ of age and older only.

----------------------

Frouge got me a build tonight that allows me to plug in true endings AND secret endings myself through the cutscene editor, so that'll save him a lot of time and let me get those in real quick for the next submission! Otherwise, it's just progress as usual :)

HW is out here doing god's work. There are way too many haters jumping on to bash a pretty reasonable release date pushback thinking games should all be pumped out like an assembly line. Ya gotta let a guy put some time and heart into his work when he needs, and ya gotta let a guy make his own money choices to avoid falling into literal bankruptcy. You're still getting your long awaited hentai, but we gotta take a step back and realize HW is making hard choices and trying to prioritize their own well-being.

Thanks for the kind words and sticking with us; we're gonna do our best to get this out to you ASAP. :)

Last edited:

throwawaynamelul

Oct 7, 2017
Damn, reading these recent posts criticizing Hentai Writer is just weird to see, I think it's clear to see that the team cares about quality, and I have no doubts that when the game releases it will be a very great game, compared to most of the games on this site, the demo's already proven that (to me anyways). I have been following the game for a bit since I stumbled upon it on a different website way back then. If you simply don't believe in the game, or just hate it for some reason, then why keep commenting on why the game/team sucks? Or how it's just mismanaged, when most people commenting these claims have no clue how game development works, and give their armchair takes on it. I certainly can't give mine, because I don't know how it works behind the scenes. That's just very strange behavior to me. Honestly, surprised after all this time Hentai Writer keeps replying to these same posts over and over again, lol.

Anyways, Hentai Writer, hope you and the team have a smooth time getting the game sorted, sucks to hear about the financial burdens that you and presumably the entire team is facing, and hope that once it releases you are able to recoup what you've put in, and then some. I am looking forward to trying out the game, once it is available to us. Just wanted to get that out there, to let you know that's it not all negative on this site, and that there are people looking forward to the game here, just trying to throw some positivity your way, since there is a lot of negativity as of the recent posts.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019
Also chiming in to say that not everyone is angry and we're still looking forward to this. I think some of the reason why people are typing up hater essays is that you've managed to get them invested in the game with its quality and scope. I think as a whole, the portion of fans patiently waiting don't feel the need to write as many posts, so don't be dissuaded by a vocal minority.

The majority of criticism is regarding the scope or the pushed back release date. I can understand being frustrated about the release date, but devs are human too and you've apologized for it. I think it's rather clear that you're all not just sitting on your hands. The scope criticisms are still weird to me though. HW has done a fantastic job communicating the scope and where the dev time goes again and again. Scope and complaints of feature creep are unjustified, and the refund policy they've got going is accommodating to say the least. People just want a "valid" reason to vent I suppose.

Passionate devs make the best games, so just continue with that mentality and we'll be here for when the game releases. It's hard not to be excited now that we're in the endgame.

heriso98

Nov 24, 2021

True, it's amazing how HW team keeps going on without going full on yandere dev. I mean, they are devs, they could easily work a corpie job, get money fuck bitches... except for the art guys, but damn those people really like what they do. Unmatching coom drive. Not just that but they are willing to do it again making other games. Kinda reminds me when I discovered sex mods.

Haven't seen better communication effort with the community in my entire life from a game that even if you look at it's demo quality, story complexity, voice acting you realize what the deal is. Long term project, passionate small team, perfectionists, etc... no more explication needed. It will be my first hgame that I'll pay

Last edited:

dragonsix6969

Apr 26, 2019
stupid opinion like "don't like don't eat", so games and bad ones come out lately. Especially when you're waiting for a long time. I love when criticism is called "hater" now an objective opinion is not fashionable. Everyone has difficulties not everyone has 1000 or 3000 dollars to live on. Although I don't like some of the levels in the electro level with switches (and with that robot that needs to be crushed by columns) and the last level with portals, the level design is quite hardcore, and yet I want to see the final release because I don't hate this game. It's a pity that people don't play other games.

3.70 star(s) 84 Votes