shamedump

Nov 21, 2018
I'm so excited this game is releasing soon! the demo is super fun and really promising. I'm excited to see the way the whole game comes together.

Reactions: Nosian

dakilladj

Feb 21, 2018
This is similar to what we have on Easy Mode, except you take all the damage right at the beginning of the animation and that's it, otherwise it's identical (except that the animation isn't changing based on health etc.)
Should ask to get a spread of expectations. You've got a hefty amount of endings planned and a number of stats to keep track of. Some even considered 'bad' and i believe game over ones which might be behind losing to a boss. Is the ending going to be 'static'? In that Talia will achieve her goal of destroying the weapon and there are a number of variations? Or is there some divergence. Like if Faye was able to win and opts to do what she wanted or if the king got the weapon in the end?

Don't want you spoiling one or multiple boss fights to answer this but your answer previously hinted a bit towards some of the same ending but with different reactions from the participants based on past deeds. Wanted to know how dynamic it was and if i should be playing a certain way to better get at a particular ending.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Should ask to get a spread of expectations. You've got a hefty amount of endings planned and a number of stats to keep track of. Some even considered 'bad' and i believe game over ones which might be behind losing to a boss.
So let me clarify the types of "endings";

- 21 True Endings = you get these for beating the True Final Boss, they're epilogues spanning anywhere from 2 to 2,000+ years after the game's events

- 3 Bad Endings = you get these for getting to the end of the game but not having all the Gold Databanks and/or all the Fragments, it's a sprite-based sex scene with Talia and Faye

- 21 "Game Over CGs", plus another 3 CGs in the same style, but gained for winning/success, instead of losing = you get these for dropping to 0 HP against enemies/bosses, or rescuing Vie/Faye for the "success" ones. One CG is gotten by winning against a boss.

- 20+ Secret Endings = These are secret easter egg events that are WAY out of the normal scope of the game's story (think the Dog Ending in Silent Hill 2), usually comedic or extremely dark in nature, and they would technically be "endings" since under normal circumstances, Talia's journey would end with them, but in all cases, I've worked some sort of deus ex machina/loophole to return you back to where you were at, given the nature of the endings themselves being ridiculous.

Is the ending going to be 'static'? In that Talia will achieve her goal of destroying the weapon and there are a number of variations? Or is there some divergence. Like if Faye was able to win and opts to do what she wanted or if the king got the weapon in the end?
So, there's only two "guarantees" regarding the True Endings;
1) You beat the True Final Boss and saved your people
2) You achieved your initial goal of retrieving all the Fragments

Outside of that, anything is game, and no one has plot armor.
The endings are pretty wildly divergent from that point on; I won't say they're 100% unique, but they're probably like 95% unique. There's one or two plot points that are very vaguely shared between a few endings, but the interpretation/outcome of them is pretty different between them, and it's not a core part of said endings.

Don't want you spoiling one or multiple boss fights to answer this but your answer previously hinted a bit towards some of the same ending but with different reactions from the participants based on past deeds.
So in regards to this, that's actually just saying that based on your Ideals at the time, bosses will react to you both before and after the fight in different ways. The boss fight itself won't be different (with one exception where one part of the fight's aesthetics will differ based on your Ideals), though.

Wanted to know how dynamic it was and if i should be playing a certain way to better get at a particular ending.
As with the game in general and the characters and all that, there is no "good" or "bad" objectively; I tried to make stuff as "grey" as possible.

So while yeah, some endings are fairly "holy shit everything went straight to hell" at first, those same endings could, by the end of it, end up being BETTER outcomes than the ones that seem to be initially "good" endings.

There's no endings I would say are 100% "everything is bad and nothing good happened" or "everyone is happy and everything is good".

Even the Ideals themselves aren't entirely "guaranteed" in terms of what you'll get; Kindness isn't inherently "good", and Pessimism isn't inherently "bad". I know I'm kinda rambling on about this, but it's hard to beat around the bush with it without spoiling stuff, and also without misleading/giving false impressions.

Reactions: dakilladj

dakilladj

Feb 21, 2018
So let me clarify the types of "endings";

- 21 True Endings = you get these for beating the True Final Boss, they're epilogues spanning anywhere from 2 to 2,000+ years after the game's events

- 3 Bad Endings = you get these for getting to the end of the game but not having all the Gold Databanks and/or all the Fragments, it's a sprite-based sex scene with Talia and Faye

- 21 "Game Over CGs", plus another 3 CGs in the same style, but gained for winning/success, instead of losing = you get these for dropping to 0 HP against enemies/bosses, or rescuing Vie/Faye for the "success" ones. One CG is gotten by winning against a boss.

- 20+ Secret Endings = These are secret easter egg events that are WAY out of the normal scope of the game's story (think the Dog Ending in Silent Hill 2), usually comedic or extremely dark in nature, and they would technically be "endings" since under normal circumstances, Talia's journey would end with them, but in all cases, I've worked some sort of deus ex machina/loophole to return you back to where you were at, given the nature of the endings themselves being ridiculous.

So, there's only two "guarantees" regarding the True Endings;
1) You beat the True Final Boss and saved your people
2) You achieved your initial goal of retrieving all the Fragments

Outside of that, anything is game, and no one has plot armor.
The endings are pretty wildly divergent from that point on; I won't say they're 100% unique, but they're probably like 95% unique. There's one or two plot points that are very vaguely shared between a few endings, but the interpretation/outcome of them is pretty different between them, and it's not a core part of said endings.

So in regards to this, that's actually just saying that based on your Ideals at the time, bosses will react to you both before and after the fight in different ways. The boss fight itself won't be different (with one exception where one part of the fight's aesthetics will differ based on your Ideals), though.

As with the game in general and the characters and all that, there is no "good" or "bad" objectively; I tried to make stuff as "grey" as possible.

So while yeah, some endings are fairly "holy shit everything went straight to hell" at first, those same endings could, by the end of it, end up being BETTER outcomes than the ones that seem to be initially "good" endings.

There's no endings I would say are 100% "everything is bad and nothing good happened" or "everyone is happy and everything is good".

Even the Ideals themselves aren't entirely "guaranteed" in terms of what you'll get; Kindness isn't inherently "good", and Pessimism isn't inherently "bad". I know I'm kinda rambling on about this, but it's hard to beat around the bush with it without spoiling stuff, and also without misleading/giving false impressions.
For the inevitable guides that get made in order to get certain paths, is it easily deduced what each of your Ideals are at any point in time? Or more limited like only at the save stations?

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
For the inevitable guides that get made in order to get certain paths, is it easily deduced what each of your Ideals are at any point in time? Or more limited like only at the save stations?
On a first run, the only way to tell what your maximum Ideal is is the boss fight intros/outros; they'll react differently in pretty tell-tale ways as to what your max one is currently. This is because we want choices to feel organic/matter significantly on at least ONE playthrough, aka your first one. (It's why we'll only have one save slot on a first go, too.)

On future runs, assuming you beat the True Final Boss, it might not be in at launch, but we'll have a toggle that will let you see what your Ideals currently are at if you so wish. (You'll also get 9 more save slots at this point, too.)

Reactions: dakilladj

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
#67 November 11th progress report.png

Weekly Progress Report #67 for Future Fragments

DISCORD
-
STEAM -
TWITTER -
FREE DEMO -
MORE PLACES -

All links are for those 18+ of age and older only.

omp123

Sep 25, 2017
There are two ideas: (a) sex scenes are the main collectable of the game, and (b) the player should be punished for failing in the game. Sex on defeat puts these two ideas completely at odds. Players are obviously going to intentionally sabotage themselves when they come across a new enemy. Games with group animations are even worse, because (as sexy as they are) they encourage constantly taking damage on the off-chance the devs made a specific combination. Having to go all the way back to the lore-checkpoint because I wanted sexy times is irritating.

And you also mentioned the irritation of watching sex animations through multiple times for a buff, but plenty of sex on defeat games let you get stun locked into animations. That's irritating. Also sometimes very sexy. But also irritating.

There is something very erotic about a female MC being forced into sexual pleasure, but it sure is a stain on the design of h-platformers.
"Defeat sex" or "Game Over Sex" is a genre. While some scenes in the game are part of cutscenes or PC-instigated interactions, most are designed around the narrative of Talia being defeated and captured by the enemies and put through dub-con sexual interactions due to the enemies' in-story design. It's much less of a "game design contradiction" when the story itself validates these losses and lets you progress with them instead of treating it as appealing one-off non-canon wank-fodder for losing. Furthermore these defeat instances will compound in the form of lewd stat increases which further promotes defeat as an organic part of the game's progression. Finally, it's been explained that completing half of a stage's challenges will unlock that stage's full gallery, so there's no need to lose to each enemy to see all the good stuff.

And yeah, PC's using sex attacks and sex finishers are great, but Talia's not a succubus and there's no in-story reason for why SHE would have sex with downed enemies, which is why it doesn't happen in this game. It's also WAY too late to start implementing it now.

It sounds to me like you're trying your hardest to compare this game to games that aren't like it. Maybe you're sick of the genre, maybe you got burned by games in the past, but each complaint seems severely disassociated with Future Fragments, which avoids most of these problems you're describing. I think this game just isn't for you.

Last edited:

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
don't take it for anything more than a genuine question: release have been delayed? :WutFace:
The date shown on Steam got pushed forward due to a lot of stuff involving Steam under the hood stuff (pre-release visibility, etc.) for now, we still intend to release on November 30th (assuming we get accepted by Steam with our build).

Basically tl;dr though, within 14 days of release, your release date becomes locked and your pre-release visibility period starts. In the event we don't get accepted by Steam before the 30th, we wouldn't want that pre-release visibility to get used up, so we temporarily changed it ahead of the release date to prevent that from happening.

Pagoramix

May 22, 2019
The date shown on Steam got pushed forward due to a lot of stuff involving Steam under the hood stuff (pre-release visibility, etc.) for now, we still intend to release on November 30th (assuming we get accepted by Steam with our build).

Basically tl;dr though, within 14 days of release, your release date becomes locked and your pre-release visibility period starts. In the event we don't get accepted by Steam before the 30th, we wouldn't want that pre-release visibility to get used up, so we temporarily changed it ahead of the release date to prevent that from happening.
Great (y)

punhetas

Nov 2, 2016

tl/dr: :BootyTime:

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
#68 November 19th progress report.png

Weekly Progress Report #68 for Future Fragments

DISCORD
-
STEAM -
TWITTER -
FREE DEMO -
MORE PLACES -

All links are for those 18+ of age and older only.

Reactions: BDO3 and ilmncsm

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
So it's december 30th on itch.io right?
Wasn't it November 30th?
If we get accepted by Steam on this next submission on the 23rd (and we don't get banned for submitting too many times without fixing the problem as Steam has already suggested is possible), then it's Steam on the 30th of November, and everywhere else on the 30th of December.

If we don't pass on Steam and have to resubmit again, then it'd be sometime in January for Steam, and a month after everywhere else. (Not gonna release in December on Steam, that'd be suicide.)

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
If there's a risk of being banned, why not wait to resubmit until the ending is actually completed?
The endings are complete, it's other stuff that isnt complete enough to get it accepted thus far, etc.

But mainly we just want to release it so we stop letting people down with release date stuff. That potential ban IS a bit scary, though...

iamnuff

Sep 2, 2017
The endings are complete, it's other stuff that isnt complete enough to get it accepted thus far, etc.

But mainly we just want to release it so we stop letting people down with release date stuff. That potential ban IS a bit scary, though...
The threat of a ban is probably just for abuse. They're not gonna ban you just because it took a couple of attempts to get it in a passable state.
So long as you're not taking the piss, it'll be fine.

You fixed/completed the thing that they failed it for last time, right?

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
The threat of a ban is probably just for abuse. They're not gonna ban you just because it took a couple of attempts to get it in a passable state.
Actually, while Steam has said that messages exchanged between us are NDA (so I can't post it verbatim), they did in fact say that if we keep getting rejected and we don't fix what's been asked to be fixed by the reviewers, then we might get banned.

You fixed/completed the thing that they failed it for last time, right?
What was asked to be completed was to have the game "complete", i.e. playable from beginning to end; further messages between us and Steam clarified that that didn't just mean "have the endings in", it meant "there shouldn't be chunks of cutscenes/events/gameplay missing", which, as the game is definitely not complete, we haven't been able to "fix".

okichobi

Oct 9, 2017
"Steam has told us if we keep not doing what they ask they'll ban our ability to put our game on Steam, but we keep trying anyways."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so then why do you keep supposedly gambling by uploading a non-finished product? You're still making Patreon money at a reasonable rate, your team has pushed off release like ten times now, what face do you think you're saving by coming back every week to give some marginal excuse about "well we did the thing despite knowing it had a chance of failure but we did it anyway... for the users!" I think at this point most of your playerbase already expected this to eventually come in with a "well sorry guys but because of REASON we've had to push off another six months, darn" and honestly I'm waiting for that post too towards next week.

"What was asked of us by Steam is to release a "complete" game despite Early Access titles going up daily that have a half hour of content."

Yeah this is still annoying me to some extent, the game isn't done, we all know the game isn't done, you haven't released an updated demo or anything on Patreon in an obscenely long time despite all this progress, so why is it that your game that has an obscene amount of dialogue for a smut game, a bunch of animation, so much content, etc is not good enough for Early Access? Why haven't your Patrons seen literally anything of value in about a year? Your Patreon posts are leaked on Kemono, it's not exactly a secret that you've kept backers practically in the dark with the same progress reports you post here so its not like we can't publicly see how little you're doing to really reassure anyone on the actual status of the game.

Edit: Some janitor/moderator banned me from being able to post on this thread without any mention of a timer; I'll be reporting this to the admins as potential abuse, I'm sorry some people on the moderator team are treating HW as if he's someone above and beyond but I think it's pretty clear that a substantial amount of the F95 community are getting a bit miffed on both his backpedaling and clear inability to maintain general standards in how he does things. He's great at talking, not so much at doing. We're allowed to point this out.

Last edited:
3.70 star(s) 84 Votes