HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I'm one of those lurky types, but gotta say, you've been incredibly communicative about the progress and setbacks in finishing the game for a while. I don't envy you having to engage with the NSFW dev community, but applaud that you've been doing it so consistently for so long.
Means a lot, but yeah, while we're not perfect, I'd like to think we've tried our best in that area.

I hope you'll eventually consider further projects once FF is behind you, I'd love to see more quality work like this.
Check this post out for more about that; https://f95zone.to/threads/future-fragments-v0-27ex-march-2022-demo-hentaiwriter.1550/post-9476312

Reactions: Nosian

anonymousbruh

Aug 14, 2017
HW please leave this site. Making multiple paragraph responses to people can't be good for your mental health or the development of the game. I and many others here follow your twitter and we're fine getting updates there. It just feels like you're unnecessarily putting stress on yourself when you respond to every one of these. I wish you all the best and am still impressed by the quality of FF. I look forward to buying it on itch when it comes out there.

Reactions: Jimmeh

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
HW please leave this site. Making multiple paragraph responses to people can't be good for your mental health or the development of the game.
I'm generally only replying to people who have actual critique/concerns, but I promise it's not impacting my mental health (or derailing development of the game); actually, I like answering questions and such.

I appreciate the concern though :)

iamnuff

Sep 2, 2017
Actual release-dates feel like a trap.
You still want transparency but you can have that without a deadline.

"Yeah, the first level is done" or "We're touching up the final level now." is fine as a ballpark for where production is, but "It's definitely going to be out by X date" is a mistake to say. Because you have no guarentee that it's actually true.

I hope this project works out for you guys, it really sounds like you've poured everything you have into it.
But you've also overran your 'final deadline' like... a dozen times.

What even happened with the latest one? Did steam reject it again?

Reactions: dragonsix6969

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Actual release-dates feel like a trap.
You still want transparency but you can have that without a deadline.

"Yeah, the first level is done" or "We're touching up the final level now." is fine as a ballpark for where production is, but "It's definitely going to be out by X date" is a mistake to say. Because you have no guarentee that it's actually true.
Absolutely, I can promise future games will never ever have release dates (until it's ready to go).
They'll still have progress reports, but yeah.

I hope this project works out for you guys, it really sounds like you've poured everything you have into it.
That, and then some. Pretty much lived and breathed this game for the last 7-some years.

What even happened with the latest one? Did steam reject it again?
They did the 2nd time around per not being complete enough in general (not just endings) to qualify for full release (and not early access). We were going to submit it a 3rd time, but then we ran that poll + fears of getting banned, so we set the release date to "when it's done".

alxmir23

Feb 3, 2019
Absolutely, I can promise future games will never ever have release dates (until it's ready to go).

That, and then some. Pretty much lived and breathed this game for the last 7-some years.

They did the 2nd time around per not being complete enough in general (not just endings) to qualify for full release (and not early access). We were going to submit it a 3rd time, but then we ran that poll + fears of getting banned, so we set the release date to "when it's done".
i feel release dates are only really good when you are either finished or extremely confident about finishing it in short time window. i dont think its necessary. frankly i like the surprise of waking up one day and seeing a game i follow being completed

Sologor

Nov 13, 2020
How "heavy" is the game going to be though? more than 1 GB? Just asking because of all the things we should be getting like the cutscenes depending on moral alignment and other variables plus the voiced dialogues.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
How "heavy" is the game going to be though? more than 1 GB? Just asking because of all the things we should be getting like the cutscenes depending on moral alignment and other variables plus the voiced dialogues.
Right now, the game is at 1.3GB, at completion, we're estimating around 2GB.

Note that the audio is compressed with .ogg which doesnt hurt the quality (in a way humans can really hear, at least) but it makes something like 2 minutes of audio be under 1MB of file size.

iamnuff

Sep 2, 2017

Everyone knows the best release date is "It's actually out now. Go buy it."
But if it got rejected for not being finished in general (not concerning the endings) then what else is left to do? I thought it was all-but done? Is it voice-acting?

The dumb part is, if you tried to submit it with no voice-acting and then add that in a later patch, you probably could have done. (Disco Elysium did that, for example)
But partial voice-acting means that it's unfinished.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
But if it got rejected for not being finished in general (not concerning the endings) then what else is left to do? I thought it was all-but done? Is it voice-acting?
No; I clarified a lot of this on the Discord poll, but basically, while most of the writing and voicework is done, as far as actually getting it in the game, there's a good chunk left to do.

Once stuff's written, we can't just copy-paste it in the game 1:1 in like 10 seconds; I have to implement cutscenes, by hand, as well as camera movement stuff, sound effect placement, music placement, character expressions, etc. all myself.

Then, for game over cutscenes and a few other things, Frouge has to hard-code those in, since those can appear on any map (regular cutscenes are chained and load up on specific maps, which is why I can do them myself with the editor).

The dumb part is, if you tried to submit it with no voice-acting and then add that in a later patch, you probably could have done. (Disco Elysium did that, for example)
The difference is, we promised voice acting from the get-go, and the demo had it, too. Removing it wouldn't work, even if that was all that there was left to do.

May 19, 2018
well i guess i going to wait until the release and stop following this thread and leave the discord.

to be honest i was hoping at least a preorder or a early access release today
just to buy it and forget it until it releases, my reason?

my country is a shitplace and even if NOW have a "decent" price
with the inflation that we manage is going to be worse and worse as months go by...

Reactions: D4n0w4r

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
to be honest i was hoping at least a preorder or a early access release today
Steam doesn't let us do pre-orders, and early access isn't something that's viable for us either.

with the inflation that we manage is going to be worse and worse as months go by...
If the price inflation gets worse, we will change prices as is appropriate, of course. We'll likely change them at the very least, one more time right before release.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
#69 December 2nd progress report.png

Bi-Weekly Progress Report #69 for Future Fragments

DISCORD
-
STEAM -
TWITTER -
FREE DEMO -
MORE PLACES -

All links are for those 18+ of age and older only.

-----------------

Now, before you freak out at that number, realize that some of these cutscenes take literally only 30 minutes-1 hour tops to put in the game.

However, there ARE some cutscenes (like the core storyline ones) that have a ton of branching variants, or that have a lot of special effects/extra stuff needed to get them working on Frouge's end, and those are the ones that can take upwards of 3-4 hours to plug in.

Again, most of the writing/voicework stuff is done for a lot of these ones to plug in, they just need to actually be put in, by hand, event by event, in-game, and that's why it takes a while.

Probably 80% of the remaining scenes are optional ones, too. Most of the core stuff is done.

We could provide numbers for how many are written, how many are voiced, etc. but it just ends up leading to more confusion (as it did before), so I figure this is the easiest/most straightforward way to quantify how much is left before release; if that number ticks down, a new cutscene, or game over scene, or secret ending, or etc. is in-game, fully playable, with voicework.

But yes, once that number hits 0, we should have everything else done as well (any remaining programming, etc.) so we SHOULD be ready to launch by then.

Oct 20, 2017
But yes, once that number hits 0, we should have everything else done as well (any remaining programming, etc.) so we SHOULD be ready to launch by then.
That's probably the best ETA estimation I've seen yet for something like this. No dates to get hopes up, but visible progress is made and you can extrapolate out. You got this mate, home stretch now.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
That's probably the best ETA estimation I've seen yet for something like this. No dates to get hopes up, but visible progress is made and you can extrapolate out. You got this mate, home stretch now.
Agreed; we're definitely still learning as we go, and I think having no release date to avoid repeated delay announcements, while still having some sort of counter like this can let us show progress but without needing to burn hours noting every single tiny change (that could be better put towards development itself).

We'll likely add a "total cutscenes" counter on the next one too, with the caveat that this is still a really simplified version of things; some cutscenes as noted before have upwards of 500+ lines with 20+ variants and tons of different events/flag checks, while others may have only 1 or 2 variants and barely any checks, etc.

3.70 star(s) 84 Votes