HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Level selection can be made after completing the game at launch or will have to wait for a later update
We won't ever have level selection available, simply because many things (your choices, the enemies you do/don't kill, your behavior in the level) affects events in future levels, and if the game doesn't have that input from the prior level, some cutscenes will break/won't work, because it's expecting you played through the previous level.

If enough people REALLY want it, we might possibly do it in a future update, but it'd take some work to add in extra variants/checks for things in regards to players deliberately having not played the earlier levels.

Sologor

Nov 13, 2020
We won't ever have level selection available, simply because many things (your choices, the enemies you do/don't kill, your behavior in the level) affects events in future levels, and if the game doesn't have that input from the prior level, some cutscenes will break/won't work, because it's expecting you played through the previous level.

If enough people REALLY want it, we might possibly do it in a future update, but it'd take some work to add in extra variants/checks for things in regards to players deliberately having not played the earlier levels.

Quite honestly I'd rather you to focus on your next projects after you've completed the game. I'm confident in your intellectual faculties to understand I don't mean it as an attack/offense but the game is already taking this long in its intended way.

I very much prefer to see the dev team to focus their energies on new games rather than wait who knows how many months just to replay a specific level. I mean....I'm sure I can clear the game faster than you can make levels (DUUUUUHH :ROFLMAO:)

Reactions: MortimerScharf

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Quite honestly I'd rather you to focus on your next projects after you've completed the game. I'm confident in your intellectual faculties to understand I don't mean it as an attack/offense but the game is already taking this long in its intended way.
Oh absolutely, one of the main reasons we want to finish this ASAP is because we literally have multiple game design documents, fleshed out in bits and pieces over the years during times we couldn't directly work on FF (on the toilet, sick, writer's block, going to the store, etc.).

We do plan to do bug fixes and general quality of life updates, but our main focus after FF is done will definitely be future games.

Reactions: Merlin7

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020

depending on how the levels are built you may even be able to just remove the story and progression elements and just load the players into the map with the default enemies randomly spawning or something. I think for most intents and purposes that would probably be enough as well for the general person that wants this feature :unsure:

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
depending on how the levels are built you may even be able to just remove the story and progression elements and just load the players into the map with the default enemies randomly spawning or something. I think for most intents and purposes that would probably be enough as well for the general person that wants this feature :unsure:
This would describe speedrun mode, basically, but there may be elements i'm not aware of still that might affect jumping from level to level (ex. the powerup RNG, not sure if it calculates stuff based on ones in past levels that've already been picked up or shown, for example), so I'd need to ask our programmer about it.

• Red Heart
Reactions: HardcoreCuddler

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Screenshot.png

BTW, we've just gotten in a neat feature for non-English speakers; pressing CTRL+C will copy text during a cutscene.

Then, you can paste that text in a translation program/website as a stopgap, until we get an official localization completed in your language.

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
View attachment 2232339

BTW, we've just gotten in a neat feature for non-English speakers; pressing CTRL+C will copy text during a cutscene.

Then, you can paste that text in a translation program/website as a stopgap, until we get an official localization completed in your language.
that's....why the fuck have LITERALY NO OTHER DEVS done that?....especially those non-english speaking devs that LOVE marketing their game in english but then publising a version in a different language...
I mean I'm not much into story stuff but that must've been real convenient for story enjoyers....
kudos

Reactions: Linlex

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
that's....why the fuck have LITERALY NO OTHER DEVS done that?....especially those non-english speaking devs that LOVE marketing their game in english but then publising a version in a different language...
I mean I'm not much into story stuff but that must've been real convenient for story enjoyers....
kudos
To be fair, this heavily relies on translation programs and websites, and they haven't been the best sites until very recently, so it likely wouldn't have made sense for all that time.

We'll have a few more accessibility things coming too for the full game, like a colorblind filter mode to ease eye strain on some people with colorblindness (had a few QA people report on this), as well as making some enemies/aesthetic more clear to said colorblind people.

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
To be fair, this heavily relies on translation programs and websites, and they haven't been the best sites until very recently, so it likely wouldn't have made sense for all that time.

We'll have a few more accessibility things coming too for the full game, like a colorblind filter mode to ease eye strain on some people with colorblindness (had a few QA people report on this), as well as making some enemies/aesthetic more clear to said colorblind people.
mfs planning on implementing accesibility features into their game while others are barely implementing their jump keys 5 years into development...the contrast
You keep getting my hopes up, man XD

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
mfs planning on implementing accesibility features into their game while others are barely implementing their jump keys 5 years into development...the contrast
You keep getting my hopes up, man XD
Well, there's still definitely areas we fall short in, but we're trying to make it the best game we can with the time/resources/experience we have, so that means a lot to hear that we're on the right track :)

Astrolucidity

Jan 10, 2019
Like I know this is an 18+ game with niche stuff in it, but god damn you are putting in effort to make it genuinely enjoyable and accessible to people barring that whole adults-only theme. Seeing a dev care so much about their game as to go above and beyond what most would expect is honestly something deserving of respect.
Hats off to you! even though I do not have one, but that's besides the point

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Like I know this is an 18+ game with niche stuff in it, but god damn you are putting in effort to make it genuinely enjoyable and accessible to people barring that whole adults-only theme.
Part of that of course, is that we'll have a SFW filter a little while after launch, but it's also just that yeah, we want to make the best game we can for everyone.

Seeing a dev care so much about their game as to go above and beyond what most would expect is honestly something deserving of respect.
Hats off to you! even though I do not have one, but that's besides the point
Thanks a lot, seriously :)

We pretty much live and breathe this game, for better or for worse, haha. But I do hope (and believe) that the full game is worth the wait, people's time spent playing it, and their hard-earned money as well.

Also, I'm streaming cutscene injection again at !

Reactions: Nosian and Merlin7

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
#70 December 16th progress report.png

-----------------

Bi-Weekly Progress Report #70 for Future Fragments

DISCORD
-
STEAM -
TWITTER -
FREE DEMO -
MORE PLACES -

All links are for those 18+ of age and older only.

-----------------

Bit of a long post this time, but I'll try to make it as brief as I can!

-----------------

To start off, we switched the numbers to make it so that it shows the number of cutscenes completed, instead of the number of cutscenes left, so that we could also show how many cutscenes/databanks are in the game total.

And just to get this clarification out of the way, those of you with good math skills will realize that 388 - 210 = 178 left to go, which is a bit more than last week's amount of 157 left to go.

The reason for this is because on our end, some of the cutscenes in the game are grouped together for ease of finding them/similarity.

However, we realized this gives a skewed view of how many actual individual cutscenes there are in the game. (This isn't counting "tabs" or "variants" on scenes; if we count that, we're probably at somewhere around 1,000+ total for the final game!)

For instance, every one of "Shadow Vie's" cutscenes in the Fire Level were grouped as just "one cutscene", despite her cutscenes happening on entirely different maps with entirely different content per event.

Similarly, all the cutscenes when you reach the end of a path in a level were grouped as "one cutscene" per level too.

The number you see there now is a much more accurate amount of how many cutscenes/databanks are in the game right now and working, and how many will be in the game at launch.

-----------------

As far as programming goes, Frouge has just been generally adding general things around the game; this might not sound like much, but trust me, he's been getting a lot of stuff done.

Most of it is spoiler stuff, as usual, but I can say these things as specifics;

- We now have more NPC functionality in that I needed for cutscenes in general, as well as specialized stuff for certain cutscenes that should make some cutscenes really "pop".

- We also have in this neat feature for people whose primary language isn't English; you can press CTRL+C to copy any text on-screen and then paste it into a translation program, which should help lots until we get localizations officially done in different languages (after-launch).

- Global cutscenes are now a thing; these would be things like secret endings or other events that can happen on any map, instead of being locked to a specific map. This functionality was needed for both the secret endings and other cutscenes that I'd want to happen by tracking player actions over the course of the game (or over a series of maps, like the pre-boss puzzle rooms in the Electric Level).

- Most of the remaining music has been added in game and is usable in cutscenes now.

As always, if you've got any questions, feel free to talk to us on Discord at :)

lraas

May 31, 2018
While its conpletely fine to change the way cutscenes are counted, it’d still be interesting to know how the number changed from two weeks ago (either by the new or the old metric), just to know how much progress has been made. Is there a way to show that, or give a rough estimate?

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
While its conpletely fine to change the way cutscenes are counted, it’d still be interesting to know how the number changed from two weeks ago (either by the new or the old metric), just to know how much progress has been made. Is there a way to show that, or give a rough estimate?
I'd say I got about 20 cutscenes in, with the caveat that I was also writing new ones, ripping a lot of new audio, and had some IRL stuff to attend to.

So slower than usual for sure, but speed should go up a lot here soon.

Reactions: Nosian and lraas

Maddog3316

Oct 23, 2022
Not sure what happened but throughout my demo i came across several already open powerup cases but didn't have them in my inventory. This is in the electric/Gratification factory demo. I've got it from the twitter post/patreon and tried the steam demo with similar results, thus i have like 5 power ups none of which seems to help against the mainframe boss. Any way to fix this?

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Not sure what happened but throughout my demo i came across several already open powerup cases but didn't have them in my inventory. This is in the electric/Gratification factory demo. I've got it from the twitter post/patreon and tried the steam demo with similar results, thus i have like 5 power ups none of which seems to help against the mainframe boss. Any way to fix this?
Did you play any prior demos? That's the only thing I can think of, but what operating system are you on as well?

itsallgoodman09

Feb 2, 2018
View attachment 2232339

This is amazing feature and you can even make it more awesome by providing toggle in setting to allow auto copy dialogues to clipboard as it is displaying on screen, then we can use external tool to generate automated translation like we use Textractor for VNs.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
streaming cutscene injection again!
This is amazing feature and you can even make it more awesome by providing toggle in setting to allow auto copy dialogues to clipboard as it is displaying on screen, then we can use external tool to generate automated translation like we use Textractor for VNs.
Hmm, I didn't even think about that; good idea!

So for this specific use, would the auto copying overwrite the existing last copied clipboard lines, or does your tool let you keep multiple things in clipboard?

Additionally, would it still work even though we dont have text automatically playing (as in, the player has to press X to go to a new text window)?

3.70 star(s) 84 Votes