HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I'm shocked that there's even 150+ cutscenes total.
If I had to give a completely off the top of my head guess, if you're counting purely cutscenes / endings / game over CGs, there's probably like 300-ish scenes (so about half are already in the game).

The problem with that number though, is that in all honesty, what defines "a single cutscene" is really, really vague.
------------------
In my documentation, way early on when we were just trying to get the Electric Level demo out ASAP, I documented every time a cutscene would trigger with the Mainframe Computer, which, technically, they ARE separate cutscenes.

If we do it that way, it comes out to 27 different cutscenes with him (not tab variations, just pure cutscenes).
------------------
However, for easier organization purposes on my end, once I started to get the other four level's cutscenes written/voice acted/added to the game en masse, I started grouping certain events and just considering them "one cutscene" due to similar shared factors.

For example;

- All the "End Path scenes (when you get to the end of a path in a level) + the special version of that that happens in the last level", were considered a "single cutscene" as far as my countdown tally goes (they're in the game 100% right now, to be clear)
- The Fire level's "return to save pad scenes", which happen directly AFTER you finish a path, and usually encompass a small back and forth between the player and Vie, cover over 16 possible variants (there's only 5 paths in the level), but this too, is considered one cutscene on the counter (also all in-game)
- Staying in the Fire Level, Vie has 8 different additional optional cutscenes if you want to seek her out, encompassing around 800 lines and 50 variants, but... this too, is considered a "single cutscene" on the counter. (working on this one right now, about halfway done, started a few hours ago)
------------------
So depending on how things are calculated, there's probably between 300-400 scenes total coming for the game, with at least 1,000 variants between all of them I'd assume. Probably 90-95% of them are optional, of course.

This isn't counting the 157 databanks, either, all of which are fully done/in-game and voiced (except for the 12 Gold Databanks, which we still need to get in-game, but art etc. is done for them)

JasonK3

Sep 7, 2017
I'm sad the game never got released this year
But Still Excited for the game and I still have it on my wishlist
This game seems to have a lot in it so i'm going to have a fun time playing it
And after I beat it I will try to speedrun it

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I'm sad the game never got released this year
But Still Excited for the game and I still have it on my wishlist
This game seems to have a lot in it so i'm going to have a fun time playing it
And after I beat it I will try to speedrun it
About a month or two after launch, we'd like to get SFW mode, a speedrun mode, and the level editor all made available, but no promises on the timeframe for that stuff, of course.

Glad to hear you're lookin forward to it though :)

Reactions: Nosian and JasonK3

Dexhellhound

Apr 18, 2018
the amount of effort that has gone into this game i am excited for its release and hopefully it takes me a quite a bit of time maybe a few days to beat

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
the amount of effort that has gone into this game i am excited for its release and hopefully it takes me a quite a bit of time maybe a few days to beat
On a first playthrough, it shouldn't take that long; the game's really dense laterally (lots of replay value), but not super long "vertically" so it doesn't take forever to go through a new run. Probably 4-6 hours on a first run.

Reactions: HardcoreCuddler

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
The most I could say is that it'll be out in 2023; our new policy is to avoid giving release dates anymore specific than that to avoid missing them again.
I can see the pressure to give out a release date already lol
honestly no wonder dev teams fuck up their release / update schedule so often, it's like the first thing people always ask, even though it can only be decently determined more than like 80% of the way thru a project
People who can give accurate estimations on project durations are fucking gods to me tbh

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I can see the pressure to give out a release date already lol
And now you know why we started giving them in the first place; for the first few years, we didn't, but yeah having tried it, never doing it again. Lesson definitely learned.

People who can give accurate estimations on project durations are fucking gods to me tbh
99 times out of 100, they're able to give accurate estimations because whatever isn't in by that date doesn't get in, and that's how you end up with so many shoddy games.

Reactions: HardcoreCuddler

zarqupang

Forum Fanatic
Nov 2, 2017
well the cyberpunk game was kinda rushed and like i say you rush a game and you fuck it up.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
hay long time peeps just wondering if all the lvls had been added some how?
All the levels are connected together on our internal build, but not on any public or backer demos.

don't get why people want to play an unfinished project. Did they not learn anything from the launch of Cyberpunk 2077 and The Callisto Protocol? I appreciate you and your team for putting your all into this game, something most devs these days don't do.
Yeah, I don't get it either, but for some reason some people think the game's been complete or something and we're just sitting on it, is my best guess (despite tangible proof it's not complete yet on livestreams etc.)

release will take forever it's seems
I mean, it can't take "forever" because I don't have infinite money to keep a roof over my head, sooo

FutureHUD

May 5, 2021
don't get why people want to play an unfinished project. Did they not learn anything from the launch of Cyberpunk 2077 and The Callisto Protocol? I appreciate you and your team for putting your all into this game, something most devs these days don't do.
As always this needs to be said, people are fed up with the delays because it comes off as milking for as much money as possible, many of these people have supported the game for years and sees no release in sight (me in particular, supported them for a few years). This sets the fear that what we end up getting might not be up to the expectations.

I personally think the naysayers doomsaying is a bit much, even if i myself am a bit cynical of this games development, at worse this game will just be painfully average given their effort. No way the team will even dare to release a half baked product, they would kill any interest in future games of theirs.

Really happy though that the mod stepped in and effectively shut down the arguing, this gives HW more time to work on the game.

all we can do now is wait though till the game is out, then we MIGHT have grounds to complain.

Sologor

Nov 13, 2020
Cyberpunk had bugs and other issues but it had all cutscenes and game core mechanics in place and was even playable from beginning to end since day one if you knew how to avoid some glitches and many of them were just graphic nonsense

callisto protocol is unfinished project?
Haven't played the game yet (but I plan to) but I've heard it's buggy as hell. Many have compared it to Cyberpunk.
EDIT
To be clear, Callisto protocol is already out and you can find all game cutscenes on youtube so I ASSUME it is possible to be completed. I don't know how broken it actually is though.

One thing I forgot to ask about the game. Will we be able to revisit old levels to gather stuff we missed or is the "metroidvania" part of the game just reserved for the current level we will be at?

dragonsix6969

Apr 26, 2019
Sologor
this is a degraded version of dead space except for graphics, there is nothing. You can not make a game only on the name of the previous ones. Good example of crowbcat video comparing l4d2. Promptly here cleaned up the comments(y), the creators of this game at least show the levels you are working on for believability.

Reactions: Sologor

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
One thing I forgot to ask about the game. Will we be able to revisit old levels to gather stuff we missed or is the "metroidvania" part of the game just reserved for the current level we will be at?
Once you've beaten a level, there's no going back to it; the game will give sufficient warnings to let you know (both in cutscenes and on your GUI) if you're missing anything in terms of core collectibles before going to the next level, etc.

Last edited:
3.70 star(s) 84 Votes