HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
He's had to give this whole financial rundown so many times now, yet the bold claims continue popping up every now and then. Maybe pinning your most elaborate response is a good idea, HentaiWriter?
I'd rather just release the game so I don't have to keep getting those claims :p

Thanks for your in-depth write-up of ero game income! As someone who works in tech and is toying around with entering game dev as a hobbyist, it feels really dumb when people say "omg ur milking the game with a 10k/mo income!" when a single person earns that much in Silicon Valley doing web dev, and web dev is considerably less complex than game dev is. With some effort you could just drop this project and move to the valley and earn a more comfortable income, so really, who's the beggar here, the game devs, or the people constantly posting about milking on Patreon?
Yeah, some people don't know how much making a game (or any product really) costs nowadays; I remember Skullgirls had to do an image showing how it cost upwards of $250,000 for a single character, and that shocked people, but in reality that's probably below average for the cost of animating something like that for a fighting game.

The segmented demo nature of the game also has led a lot of people to not realize just how much content is in the game, which is entirely on us of course, but that can cause a skewed perception on how much we're working on/getting done etc. which won't really be clear until the full game's done.

Something else I forgot to mention too in the original post is that there's a lot of games that people think had short development cycles, but instead had very long ones; for an example in a similar genre to ours, Sinisistar, while done by one person and not crowdfunded (AFAIK), took 6 years at least to make.

Even if we got paid a billion dollars a month, there's only so much we can do as 3 human beings per month; more money means that we can commission more things audio-wise in theory, but we still have to write up the scripts, design documents/information for each song and sound effect and voiceline, which still takes time regardless (if people thought we were just telling the audio people to "have at it", with no instructions, that is).

Last edited:
Reactions: Asakura Ouryuu

Sazoji

Sep 30, 2018
I'm not for or against hypnosis, but a powerful aphrodisiac that exposes "hidden" internal feelings (while sober) that via a consenting situation like a falling out battle turning into a romance scene would keep some of those scenes. You're writing a game where the loss scenario is forced sex and you were able to write around that, writing in an aphrodisiac/hypnosis that affects both parties is far less """rapey""" than being captured/inflated by a 5th dimensional plant to steal your life essence... in a universe where all women are perpetually milked for energy; where all plants, mushrooms, animals, sentient robots, and soldiers will fuck you when defeated; and you have to save your rival from getting stuck in milking machines. The flavor text writes around most of this but from the surface, hypnosis gas doesn't seem to be the most egregious "total removal of consent" especially if you can rewrite it to be consensual.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
So let me go into detail as to why hypnosis is banned on Patreon and other storefronts and such. It's a silly reason, but it is the reason.

When it comes to things like non-con or dub-con sex in games, the people involved are still able to think and rationalize things without the effect of anything else on them. They have free will of thought and action, effectively.

And then in the real world, hypnosis is something that does work on people, but it only works to improve suggestion; it's not going to make someone go shoot someone by making them think they're seeing a demon in front of them or something like that, except in rare cases where the person already has disorders that would make them hallucinate or something like that.

However, and this is the key point; credit card companies and other businesses consider hypnosis in fantasy scenarios to be something that 100% robs you of free will.

This is because in fantasy, hypnosis is often presented as literally turning someone into a mental zombie; they 100% obey whatever they're asked, they don't question it, they get glassy-eyed, turning into effectively a puppet.
As a result of this, Patreon and other places consider hypnosis (and aphrodisiacs, and anything else that affects your mental state as such, including things that would even just make you more okay with exposing hidden feelings) as the hardest form of non-con possible, and that's why they ban it so ruthlessly.

Now to reply to a few other points you made;

a powerful aphrodisiac that exposes "hidden" internal feelings (while sober) that via a consenting situation like a falling out battle turning into a romance scene would keep some of those scenes.
The problem with this is that in our game, none of the characters have romantic feelings for one another or for any of the enemies, besides Vie being into her husband, Seeber. To suddenly make someone in the game fall in love with someone they've spent less than 10 minutes with, tops, would be disingenuous for Talia, Vie, and Faye's personalities, and none of them are lesbians nor have feelings for one another either, so to suddenly place that on them would also be disingenuous and a large break in character.

When we're putting a huge amount of effort into characterization, the personality of said characters, and the worldbuilding of the universe and consistency of it, having a large break in how they would act or do things makes the entire effort worthless.

in a universe where all women are perpetually milked for energy
They aren't, though. It's only willing WORM volunteers and captured Rebels, and in both cases, they're only milked for a standard 8 hour shift. They live pretty comfortably outside of that.

...where all plants
It's not all plants, and the ones in the game that do fuck you are human/plant hybrids; they're not just random plants fucking you for no reason either, as they're intent on getting energy from you to stay alive, as you and Faye are the only two things that can actually give them sustenance outside of the Mega Mutabilis (and I don't mean through things like cum or milk or whatever else).

There are no animals in the game. In fact, there's no animals on the Earth at this point in the in-game universe.

The flavor text writes around most of this but from the surface, hypnosis gas doesn't seem to be the most egregious "total removal of consent" especially if you can rewrite it to be consensual.
You are right in that we can write around it if we reallllly wanted to, and if we wanted to take that risk.

But as I noted in an earlier post, even if there was no risk and no taboo for it, we still would have removed it.

The WORM are heavily against sex with other people, banning it and only allowing people to use gratters (sex machines) to get their sexual urges out, as they believe that actual procreation with people, pregnancy, relationships, etc. are a huge waste of time that could be spent on work instead. They even segregate people by sex, so all the men are in their own facilities with only men, and same for only women.

Having sex with someone else besides a gratter gets you the most severe punishment possible in a society where death has been defeated and you can respawn endlessly to cure any injury; exile to the outside world, outside of the domed and underground cities, broken off from a connection to the Save Pads.

So with government like that, being so bent against sex, it would make no sense for them to put all their time and resources into creating an empowered form of human being meant to combat the Rebels by... making people horny enough to have to masturbate on the spot.

The same Rebels that love and encourage and promote sex, not only for their values, but to produce more soldiers to fight against the WORM.

It would be like the Vatican employing Satan to teach Bible study by getting kids into the virtues of Satanism. Lore-wise, it just makes zero sense with the lore we created as the game's story expanded, so we just axed it.

There's been a lot of other things like this we've cut out, but since they weren't something like this, people just didn't notice.

Jelevo

Apr 29, 2018
New Demo is supposed to be out today, yeah?

I've pledged previously, and it states that anyone that's ever pledged can get it, so I'm curious as to how to access it?

Thanks.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
New Demo is supposed to be out today, yeah?

I've pledged previously, and it states that anyone that's ever pledged can get it, so I'm curious as to how to access it?

Thanks.
You'll get it in your Patreon inbox :)

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Yeah, this time around, we linked the demo on Discord, so if anyone wants to join to grab it...

Reactions: Jayomms

Eastmarch

Sep 16, 2020
Yeah, this time around, we linked the demo on Discord, so if anyone wants to join to grab it...
Perfect boss battle. The first phase is pretty static, but the rest are great. Immediately after the announcement of the Prince of Persia. As for visual bugs, maybe icicles with a white square texture at the base, hanging on a blue texture of ice.

Eastmarch

Sep 16, 2020
P.S. Compared the game to the 2D-Metroids, and it feels much better than them. Like the modern version. With full voice acting, attractive main character, improved sound, backgrounds and, perhaps, quite better music. Can't say it's grater than Hollow Knight, but fantastic genre, Patreon (which is necessary in this situation) instead of Kickstarter and "erotic" context are reasonable explanations. The game could not be harmonious if it was different. But in such a state, erotic content does not overshadow the gameplay and is not overshadowed by it, which is important. Not to mention the fact that FF cannot be compared with any other "erotic" games. The fact that it is compared with the games mentioned above suggests that this is a kind of AAA project. It's great that you bring sex back to the game industry at this level. In addition, inviting SilkyMilk, Zone and so on for voice acting. As if it were The Simpsons.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Perfect boss battle. The first phase is pretty static, but the rest are great. Immediately after the announcement of the Prince of Persia. As for visual bugs, maybe icicles with a white square texture at the base, hanging on a blue texture of ice.
We're really happy so many people seem to like the boss battle; a few people though have said it's too easy, so in later builds we're going to experiment with making whatever portion of the platform is hit with the time wave vanish temporarily, as well as making the crystal you've used the most in phase 1 shatter when the boss hits 50% health, so you can't just stand there arbitrarily etc.

P.S. Compared the game to the 2D-Metroids, and it feels much better than them. Like the modern version. With full voice acting, attractive main character, improved sound, backgrounds and, perhaps, quite better music. Can't say it's grater than Hollow Knight, but fantastic genre, Patreon (which is necessary in this situation) instead of Kickstarter and "erotic" context are reasonable explanations. The game could not be harmonious if it was different. But in such a state, erotic content does not overshadow the gameplay and is not overshadowed by it, which is important. Not to mention the fact that FF cannot be compared with any other "erotic" games. The fact that it is compared with the games mentioned above suggests that this is a kind of AAA project. It's great that you bring sex back to the gaming industry at this level. In addition, inviting SilkyMilk, Zone and so on for voice acting. As if it were The Simpsons.
What high praise, man, when I read stuff like this it really makes me feel like we've done right with this game :D

Funny thing you note having SilkyMilk on as voice acting like it were the Simpsons though; our game was actually one of her very first NSFW roles, way back when, and I'm happy she's blown up massively since then in NSFW roles! It's really nice to see she's becoming a household name, because she deserves it!

Definitely check out the full game too; if you're this happy with it now, I think you'll really enjoy what we've got planned for things like the true final boss, achievements, secret endings (and just the 40 endings in total) powerup revamp, and more :D

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Released a version over at Patreon and on our Discord with a number of fixes;
- Boss crash bug fixed
- Powerup capsules can now be opened by pressing Up on them and have a prompt as well
- Multiple maps with visual bugs now fixed
- Minimap/megamap works properly after fighting the boss

Reactions: AngelAIGS

randombbl

Aug 30, 2017
HentaiWriter I've also pledged previously and got no email. Wouldn't have known if I hadn't checked the thread. Grabbed the Demo off the discord so no worries but I hope we don't get a repeat when the game releases.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
HentaiWriter I've also pledged previously and got no email. Wouldn't have known if I hadn't checked the thread. Grabbed the Demo off the discord so no worries but I hope we don't get a repeat when the game releases.
I'd need to know your patreon username to check, but almost 100% of the time it's because the email went into their spambox, which I unfortunately have no control over (and I do ask people to check their spam boxes all the time).

We also do monthly posts on Patreon alerting everyone we've sent out all the reward emails for that month, so people should be getting notified that we've sent out said emails in case they did go into spam etc. so that we can re-send them.

TidePodz

Feb 15, 2020
so how does getting the game work? i donated the $10 via Patreon and am not sure where i should look come release date. great work on the game though, it plays great!

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
so how does getting the game work? i donated the $10 via Patreon and am not sure where i should look come release date. great work on the game though, it plays great!
Thanks a lot for the support and compliments!

For getting the game at release, I'll email you at the email address you registered on Patreon with, asking you how you want the game download; I'll be able to get you a key anywhere we're selling it *except* for steam, because steam requires us to have you pledge $20 cumulatively (the price of the game at launch), unfortunately.

TidePodz

Feb 15, 2020
Thanks a lot for the support and compliments!

For getting the game at release, I'll email you at the email address you registered on Patreon with, asking you how you want the game download; I'll be able to get you a key anywhere we're selling it *except* for steam, because steam requires us to have you pledge $20 cumulatively (the price of the game at launch), unfortunately.
so when exactly would i get the email? at launch?

3.70 star(s) 84 Votes