katmandomo

Feb 10, 2018
Secret bdsm club, school bsdm training ground, bdsm house cave. People might be whining about the lack of content in Glamour, but the future looks bright.
Oh yeah. I'm totally planning to pick this back up in a year or so when the content is actually implemented. Right now most of the grind is there, but not too much of the payoff.

katmandomo

Feb 10, 2018
Instead of binding to 3000 he should bind to 0 to get a random socket from the OS. There are other details.
If his server binds to INADDR_ANY how it is supposed to notify the client which port it chose?

Port 3000 is not assigned to anything else so it's not a terrible option. I personally usually go for more oddball port numbers to reduce the chance of collision, but it's not necessary.

What I suspect may be happening is that the server is buggy and sometimes it gets wedged at startup. When this happens people kill their game and try to restart, but the server doesn't shut down properly so it sits on the port until their machine is rebooted.

To test this theory, next time the game fails to start quit the client and open a cmd prompt to run a "netstat -an" and look for a line with "0.0.0.0:3000" or "127.0.0.1:3000" in it. If that line says "LISTEN" then there's still a server running and sitting on the port. If it is in one of the WAIT states then DS forgot to set SO_REUSEPORT on his socket and you have to wait for the OS to time it out (5 minutes I think) before it can be used again.

It also wouldn't hurt to check task manager and see if there is a glamour_server.exe sitting there.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
If his server binds to INADDR_ANY how it is supposed to notify the client which port it chose?

Port 3000 is not assigned to anything else so it's not a terrible option. I personally usually go for more oddball port numbers to reduce the chance of collision, but it's not necessary.

What I suspect may be happening is that the server is buggy and sometimes it gets wedged at startup. When this happens people kill their game and try to restart, but the server doesn't shut down properly so it sits on the port until their machine is rebooted.

To test this theory, next time the game fails to start quit the client and open a cmd prompt to run a "netstat -an" and look for a line with "0.0.0.0:3000" or "127.0.0.1:3000" in it. If that line says "LISTEN" then there's still a server running and sitting on the port. If it is in one of the WAIT states then DS forgot to set SO_REUSEPORT on his socket and you have to wait for the OS to time it out (5 minutes I think) before it can be used again.

It also wouldn't hurt to check task manager and see if there is a glamour_server.exe sitting there.
Or do the bind in the client, tell the server what the port is on the command line, and have the server connect to the client.

katmandomo

Feb 10, 2018
Or do the bind in the client, tell the server what the port is on the command line, and have the server connect to the client.
That would require a bit of work on the client and server side to reverse the normal client/server connection. It's far from impossible, but there are easier solutions.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
That would require a bit of work on the client and server side to reverse the normal client/server connection. It's far from impossible, but there are easier solutions.
It's actually very simple, and bullet-proof. If the magic command-line option is there you do a connect to the provided port instead of a bind/listen.

I had a system that ran multiple client/server instances on random ports. The client would bind to a port, release it, and launch the server with the port number on the command line. It worked fairly well, but experienced sporatic failures. Switching to a reverse-connect strategy made it work 100% of the time. Well, not when the system was dying, but you know what I mean.

katmandomo

Feb 10, 2018
The issue is that the glamor server is almost certainly a multiple dispatch server (it's designed to handle hundreds of clients on the internet). You'd have to bypass all of that in the client mode. Far from impossible, but it means breaking some of the encapsulation and kind of a mess. Also have to configure the client to listen to the socket instead of initiating the connection.

Also, people will accuse you of failing to learn the lessons of FTP or Xwindows, although they mostly don't apply in this case. :)

heartagram10

Jun 3, 2017

Personally I take issue with the fact it's port 3000 - the default port used in tutorials and examples for Express. Unfortunately there are tons of programs written with NW.js/Electron that use Express and stick with the default port, that's how I noticed the collision ..

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
The issue is that the glamor server is almost certainly a multiple dispatch server (it's designed to handle hundreds of clients on the internet). You'd have to bypass all of that in the client mode. Far from impossible, but it means breaking some of the encapsulation and kind of a mess. Also have to configure the client to listen to the socket instead of initiating the connection.

Also, people will accuse you of failing to learn the lessons of FTP or Xwindows, although they mostly don't apply in this case. :)
In single mode you shut down the listen socket while you have a connection and quit when that connection drops. In multi mode you keep the listen socket open. Hopefully that's what he's doing now. To do reverse-connect, instead of listening and shutting that socket down when you get a connection, you connect back to the client. Everything you do with the socket after that point is the same.

Goobercreek

Aug 6, 2016
Fans: Dark Silver, you must destroy the ring. If you do not, you will start another flame war that will derail and engulf anything and everything you do. No announcement will be safe. No update will be free of shitposting. Every forum will descend into bitching and madness. You may have the devil on your shoulder telling you that it will work THIS time, that you will be able to control it. We promise you, you can not. It will control you. No good will come of this. If not for your sake, think of Glamour itself. Every discussion from here on out will revolve around your decision not to destroy the ring. Nothing else will be discussed. Nothing else will be heard. The battle lines will be drawn. There is no going back from this. This is your Isildur moment. Cast the ring into the fire and let it be done. DESTROY IT!
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: cvbn28c and DJsona

john_jones21

Jun 24, 2017
I've been avoiding this until now due to the online requirement.

The main benefit that comes from playing this game is to shatter any misplaced nostalgia for Big Brother. Over time it's easy to forget all it's many flaws and Glamour has them all times ten.

Small amounts of content hidden behind senseless grind. A main character that needs the permission of others in order to progress anything. Plot dead ends. Events that will only trigger at a precise time once a week and after enough time has passed.

I don't know why Dark Silver keeps making sandbox games. He's fundamentally opposed giving any agency to the player.

The renders are nice though as mentioned by many others it's the same body type repeated.

The school plot is interesting or could be if there was a choice involved.

Anyone's time would be much better spent downloading the CG. Any sexy previews you've seen are locked behind hours and hours of grind. Remember advancing the clock in Big Brother trying to get to that one event you needed to advance the plot? Now events are random, don't happen on the hour and might not trigger if your stats are wrong.

Reactions: DJsona

Valornim

Sep 8, 2018
From the second half, the first quarter is to be used in the bathroom, the second quarter is to give to Julia.

2.60 star(s) 183 Votes