AngelOfDeath

Apr 27, 2018
So is there like a shared account that is only this game in patreon that is supported so we can get all content or a way to get it all?
Sorry mate, but no. And it's not likely to have such shared account in the future. Why?
That's because the game autosaves are stored in the Patreon account. So imagine how much fun will be when 100 players are playing with the same shared account and each of them is overwriting the other players autosaves. :closedeyesmile:

Reactions: sergop

NachoCheese

Dec 10, 2017
Some people have said that all the game's code is on his server but that's not true.
I actually said that the part you download is effectively just a glorified web browser, which is why I never bothered digging into scripts.dll. I observed the game state loop going out over HTTP and recognized that event, display and dialogue decisions were being made remotely (and passed via JSON to the client). With that architecture, it'd be redundant for DS to have game logic in the client.

It took 40 minutes to redownload 700mb from his server since it's so fucking slow holy shit
Yeah. I threw a caching nginx instance up to proxy for his server back when I was working on this. That boy needs to learn how to Cloudflare.

this game was so easy to modify in the first place that anyone who said that this game was uncrackable doesn't know anything or never even tried.
Clearly I don't know anything. With that out of the way, how has your investigation gone in seeing if your modifications were successful at unlocking the latest version?

So what even are the differences between versions? I don't know a way to tell what the actual version I'm playing is since they all say "v0.5"
Game events newer than two months will be available in the game. I don't know anything, but I suspect those would be working at the hotel, and something to do with a café. I have no idea how to trigger those events.

NachoCheese

Dec 10, 2017
Is it just me or is it a slow download?? if it is i can give you a faster one ;)
If you've downloaded the client and let it update, you should already have all of the images (they are downloaded before authenticating through Patreon). Those files should be available at `%LOCALAPPDATA%Low\Sandlust Games Ltd\Glamour\images` as PNGs with no file suffix.

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
If one of you is a patreon who is certain they have the patreon exclusive content, if you want to help could you do this please:
1. Type and open 'regedit' in windows search
2. Copy and paste this in the top search bar: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sandlust Games Ltd\Glamour
3. Tell me what the numbers you have in these two parentheses are

Lain is god.png

My first approach is modifying the PlayerPrefs.SetInt("pledge", this.pledge); statement with PlayerPrefs.SetInt("pledge", 1);, but the compiler complaints about "PlayerPrefs" name not existing. I'm not sure what to do, even tried installing Unity with VisualStudio2017, but it stays the same.
There were more places that you have to change than just that one place in the code. You have to load the dependency UnityEngine.CoreModule.dll

When that failed, I tried modifying the registry, so the PlayerPrefs settings should get another values, but somehow it doesn't work for now. Any clue where to check any of my leads? Am I lost (probably...).
Did I make a post talking about the registry? I thought I did but I guess not. The registry keys get reset every time you start the game, and you can't change them after the game starts. Also setting the Glamour registry keys to read only will cause the game to throw an exception and be stuck loading at the menu. You just have to change the code that sets the keys.

I actually said that the part you download is effectively just a glorified web browser, which is why I never bothered digging into scripts.dll. I observed the game state loop going out over HTTP and recognized that event, display and dialogue decisions were being made remotely (and passed via JSON to the client).
I don't think I saw any posts you made, I just saw others that posted saying they looked into the Assembly dll and they just assumed that was the only code stored client side which was wrong. I don't really know much about networking though and how to intercept packets. Would reading the actual contents of the requests/responses/JSON files be easy?

Clearly I don't know anything. With that out of the way, how has your investigation gone in seeing if your modifications were successful at unlocking the latest version?

Game events newer than two months will be available in the game. I don't know anything, but I suspect those would be working at the hotel, and something to do with a café. I have no idea how to trigger those events.
I wasn't being specific when I said that. =P It's just that I read the first couple pages of this thread and saw people saying that the game would never be cracked and was impossible to modify because of the online stuff but it's not really any different than every other Unity game so idk why people were saying that.
And lol, I still haven't confirmed if I actually have the new content or if the game only says I do.. I don't really want to play the game for 2 hours just to find out. xP

XxMikaelxX

Jul 1, 2018
If you've downloaded the client and let it update, you should already have all of the images (they are downloaded before authenticating through Patreon). Those files should be available at `%LOCALAPPDATA%Low\Sandlust Games Ltd\Glamour\images` as PNGs with no file suffix.
i was talking about the cg`s Mega link, it was like 2 mb/s download for me and i think my link is faster

NachoCheese

Dec 10, 2017
I don't really know much about networking though and how to intercept packets. Would reading the actual contents of the requests/responses/JSON files be easy?
DS took no effort in protecting the content of the messages (no encryption or obfuscation, it's just JSON over HTTP). I have about 75% of the notes required to draw up a protocol sequence diagram to document the interactions between client and server, but stopped working on that after perceiving little interest or benefit in doing so. Based on your interest, I'll try to finish that this week some time.

it's not really any different than every other Unity game so idk why people were saying that.
As far as a running program goes I'm sure it's like the vast majority of other Unity games out there. The difference is in where game state is kept and game decisions are made. Specifically, it appears that the game client connects to a server to which it passes instructions about user actions while the server responds with game state updates.

And lol, I still haven't confirmed if I actually have the new content or if the game only says I do.. I don't really want to play the game for 2 hours just to find out. xP
That's basically where I ended up as well.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I don't really know much about networking though and how to intercept packets. Would reading the actual contents of the requests/responses/JSON files be easy?
Back in the day I used .

gisanaj

Oct 21, 2017
There were more places that you have to change than just that one place in the code. You have to load the dependency UnityEngine.CoreModule.dll

Did I make a post talking about the registry? I thought I did but I guess not. The registry keys get reset every time you start the game, and you can't change them after the game starts. Also setting the Glamour registry keys to read only will cause the game to throw an exception and be stuck loading at the menu. You just have to change the code that sets the keys.
I actually worked on the network side as well (as I am more used to it than reversing/compiling), and noticed that everytime the game launches, it sends the client ID to the game server, which then replies with the account information (version, pledge, patreon) that is dumped in the registry. I've modified that information client-side, so the game thinks that the pledge is made, but, as @NachoCheese say, all of the processing is done server-side, so the events associated with patreon accounts won't happen.

I don't think I saw any posts you made, I just saw others that posted saying they looked into the Assembly dll and they just assumed that was the only code stored client side which was wrong. I don't really know much about networking though and how to intercept packets. Would reading the actual contents of the requests/responses/JSON files be easy?
I made a python script to intercept the requests, print them out, and change some server replies so the client get the values I want, but the only meaningful thing sent to the server is the client ID (as far as I know), and it is a long, hash-type string, hard to bruteforce (and doing so would mess with other people's saved games).

If you want the script, I can send it to you, is not complicated to set it up, and would allow you to see the traffic in real time (actually, is work in progress, but works well as it is, it's just not pretty).

If one of you is a patreon who is certain they have the patreon exclusive content, if you want to help could you do this please:
1. Type and open 'regedit' in windows search
2. Copy and paste this in the top search bar: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sandlust Games Ltd\Glamour
3. Tell me what the numbers you have in these two parentheses are

View attachment 142192
Actually, it would be useful to get one or two active client ID's, maybe via private message, and keeping in mind that it could alter the saved games (there isn't much to play, though, so...). I've already tried some values, and for the time being I would keep "6" as value, it has given me the full patreon access screen:

Capture.PNG

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
I actually worked on the network side as well (as I am more used to it than reversing/compiling), and noticed that everytime the game launches, it sends the client ID to the game server, which then replies with the account information (version, pledge, patreon) that is dumped in the registry. I've modified that information client-side, so the game thinks that the pledge is made, but, as @NachoCheese say, all of the processing is done server-side, so the events associated with patreon accounts won't happen.

I made a python script to intercept the requests, print them out, and change some server replies so the client get the values I want, but the only meaningful thing sent to the server is the client ID (as far as I know), and it is a long, hash-type string, hard to bruteforce (and doing so would mess with other people's saved games).

If you want the script, I can send it to you, is not complicated to set it up, and would allow you to see the traffic in real time (actually, is work in progress, but works well as it is, it's just not pretty).

Actually, it would be useful to get one or two active client ID's, maybe via private message, and keeping in mind that it could alter the saved games (there isn't much to play, though, so...). I've already tried some values, and for the time being I would keep "6" as value, it has given me the full patreon access screen
Yeah I saw that the account info is stored in the registry and I assumed the game used those keys to check if it should send the patreon exclusive content but found out that wasn't the case and I think it only uses the registry values for the menu screen.

I also figured out how to run the game with the .Net debugger so I can read requests/responses using the locales window. Indeed the server still knows what pateron tier a user is without checking the registry and I thought changing the login response to always set pledge to 40 would unlock the patreon content but no luck.

And is 6 the value you're using for the game version? I was hoping that patron's just had a different version # for the patreon content but I think it's still set to version 5 for them as well.

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
It turns out that my assumption of only needing to change the registry keys would unlock the patreon content was wrong, so I'm just going to post everything I have. I still think it's crackable but I don't really have the time to figure it out. I also still believe that someone smarter than me could crack this game pretty fast.

along with a list of changes I've made.

Assembly-CSharp.dll
Code:
Assembly assembly = Assembly.LoadFrom(Application.persistentDataPath + "/lain.dll");
Only thing I've modified is the file that the game uses for the scripts.dll which I've changed to lain.dll because any changes to scripts.dll get reset when the game is started. This allows you to make any modifications to the game code.

mono.dll
Patched mono library so that dnSpy can run the program in debug mode which allows you to read responses/requests/JSON files in the locales window.

scripts.dll (lain.dll)
LoginResponse:
Code:
public static LoginResponse Parse(string source)
{
    source = source.Replace("\"pledge\":0", "\"pledge\":40");
    Debug.Log("source: " + source);
    return JsonConvert.DeserializeObject<LoginResponse>(source);
}
Login responses from the server have the pledge amount changed from 0 to 40 whenever they are parsed.

Code:
public void UpdatePlayerPrefs()
{
    PlayerPrefs.SetInt("patron", 1);
    PlayerPrefs.SetInt("pledge", 40);
}
The registry values are changed to always update to these but I think the registry values are only used for the menu not for deciding to send the patreon content.

LoginScene:
Pretty sure I made some small change here but I don't remember what it was but this is just for the menu anyways so don't think it matters.

NetworkHelper:
Code:
    public static IEnumerator SendStatusRequest(string id)
    {
        WWWForm wwwform = new WWWForm();
        wwwform.AddField("id", id);
        WWW request = new WWW(PlayerPrefs.GetString("ServerUrl") + "/api/status", wwwform);
        yield return request;
        JObject jobject = JObject.Parse(request.text);
        PlayerPrefs.SetInt("patron", 1);
        PlayerPrefs.SetInt("pledge", 40);
        PlayerPrefs.SetInt("version", jobject["version"].ToObject<int>());
        yield break;
    }
Same changes as UpdatePlayerPrefs.

Also when the new update comes out I'd assume there will be changes to the scripts.dll so these changes will have to be added again to the new .dll in order to get the rest of the changes to the scripts dll.

gisanaj

Oct 21, 2017
Yeah I saw that the account info is stored in the registry and I assumed the game used those keys to check if it should send the patreon exclusive content but found out that wasn't the case and I think it only uses the registry values for the menu screen.

I also figured out how to run the game with the .Net debugger so I can read requests/responses using the locales window. Indeed the server still knows what pateron tier a user is without checking the registry and I thought changing this to always set pledge to 40 would unlock the patreon content but no luck.
Code:
public static LoginResponse Parse(string source)
{
    source = source.Replace("\"pledge\":0", "\"pledge\":40");
    Debug.Log("source: " + source);
    return JsonConvert.DeserializeObject<LoginResponse>(source);
}
And is 6 the value you're using for the game version? I was hoping that patron's just had a different version # for the patreon content but I think it's still set to version 5 for them as well.
I set 6 as the pledge value, as 40 froze my game, so I tried adding one per level, and 6 gave me "the most", but it could be wrong.

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
I set 6 as the pledge value, as 40 froze my game, so I tried adding one per level, and 6 gave me "the most", but it could be wrong.
Ah, well 40 definitely works but those values are only used for displaying when you get updates on the main menu I think so I don't think it really matters what it is set to. If you want it set to 40 though you can download my files in the post above.

2.60 star(s) 184 Votes