HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019
that too

edit: molly gets only pets,cuddles and walks from everyone but MC who forgets sometimes
Real talk for a second here, don't hug dogs unless they have learned to accept them. Dogs that aren't accustomed to hugging can panic, since it's not natural behaviour for canines. This has been PSA on having good relationship with our canine friends, now back to regular schedule.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Real talk for a second here, don't hug dogs unless they have learned to accept them.
There's a bit of a problem with this.
How can they possibly "learn to accept them", without receiving them to get them accustomed? :unsure:
Seems rather like a catch 22.

Dogs nuzzle each other and rub up against each other as part of natural bonding. They do the same to us, mine are always rubbing their sides round my legs.
They also like to rub the corner of their mouth on family & friends, to impart their scent.
I don't see how hugging is all that much different. If you put your face into your dog's ruff, it's really quite similar to their natural way of showing affection.

Only if a dog feels trapped by the arms around them, could I see it having a problem with being hugged.
But, if the owner is pack-leader (as they should be), the dog will accept it, even if not entirely happy about it.
If they trust you (as they should), then they know that you mean them no harm, so there is no threat.

They didn't exactly have to "learn to accept" pats on the head, or stroking.

Last edited:

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
How can they possibly "learn to accept them", without receiving them to get them accustomed? :unsure:

Dogs nuzzle each other and rub up against each other as part of natural bonding. They do the same to us, mine are always rubbing their sides round my legs.
They also like to rub the corner of their mouth on family & friends, to impart their scent.
I don't see how hugging is all that much different. If you put your face into your dog's ruff, it's really quite similar to their natural way of showing affection.

Only if a dog feels trapped by the arms around them, could I see it having a problem with being hugged.
But, if the owner is pack-leader (as they should be), the dog will accept it, even if not entirely happy about it.
If they trust you (as they should), then they know that you mean them no harm, so there is no threat.
So true - and well said whichone (y)
loli-3486.gif

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
Real talk for a second here, don't hug dogs unless they have learned to accept them. Dogs that aren't accustomed to hugging can panic, since it's not natural behaviour for canines. This has been PSA on having good relationship with our canine friends, now back to regular schedule.
I believe you meant "stranger dogs" didn't you?

My dogs get used to hugs on the first week with us. But, yeah, no dog that I find anywhere receives a hug from me. Not that I don't want to, I simply don't know them from anywhere, and until I do, no way José. Exception made to Chiuahuas, no hugs for them, ever. Even if you know them, never ever hug them unless you are their leader, they can't stand it from anyone else.

Peace :)

boobsrcool

Apr 1, 2022
lol Fair point, but then I don't even pat stranger dogs unless I get the clear signals that it's OK with it.
Any stiffness in the tail, hunched shoulders, curled lip - nope. Not going near it until the owner is around and the dog relaxes.
Wagging tail, relaxed, happy dog - absolutely patting it!
(Still not hugging, though lol)
+ not touching shitbulls

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019

They didn't exactly have to "learn to accept" pats on the head, or stroking.
You can teach them when they are still young puppy, but adult dogs don't really get accustomed to it easily.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: HazyTank

BoosterGold74

May 22, 2020
Dogs are so needy. We ruined them in the domestication and breeding processes.
Give me a nice fluffy spider that doesn't ask for anything but food and never needs to be walked in the rain.

• Haha
Reactions: CircaAD

EvilMonkey

Aug 20, 2017
Don't hug anyone unless they have learned to accept hugs. Invading the personal space of any animal, including humans, messes with our fight or flight responses. Any animal has to have been conditioned to accept someone invading their space for a 'cuddle'.

Assuming you're just talking about hugging unknown dogs though, there are a number of things that people 'shouldn't' do but still do all the time, like try to pat them on top of the head, whereas you should offer your hand to the dogs muzzle in order for them to get your scent and become comfortable towards you and not block their eyeline.

3.90 star(s) 282 Votes