xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
Journey can fuck right off. But that's like, my opinion, man.

I am more of a New Traditionalist, if you're savvy to my my avatar ;)
Wow, thank's great music ! since I didn't recognize the Profile Pic I google it and sounds cool men, I liked it !

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
tanstaafl ; Do you know "new riders of the Purple sage ?" or you have a conection with the "Fabulosos Cadillacs" ?
(Gustavo Ciratis band, Soda Stero, Taja Turunen and Bono did a in Memoriam for him) differnt Generaion different culture easy as that

Last edited:

CircaAD

Oct 9, 2021
But if you were good, you could tell what baud rate you were getting by the number of squeals before the connection was made.

Reactions: Elhemeer

WigglyWorld84

Aug 14, 2021
I'm torn between "Glad people are finding new music, nice!" and "You never heard of Devo? wtf."
THERE'S NO SEX WITH NANA YET

She sends out an aroma of undefined love,
that drips on down like a mist from above.
She's just a girl... The girl u want.

[historically, I think this is the first music video actually shot ON video and not film. Man, video was so shitty back in the day.]

Last edited:

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022

She sends out an aroma of undefined love,
that drips on down like a mist from above.
She's just a girl... The girl u want.

[historically, I think this is the first music video actually shot ON video and not film. Man, video was so shitty back in the day.]
I'm not sure what you're actually trying to say in this, unless you mean it was saved on a video cassette instead of a film reel. However, the reason it looks so shitty today is because those images were produced for a much smaller scale than today's monitors and TVs are made to handle. Because it's been scaled up to be playable on today's technology, it's been pixilated and warped throughout the images. Your phone has better resolution than a 20-inch TV from that era (and that was a big TV for most people).

It's not an illusion of memory that it looked better when we watched it on TV in the 80s and 90s. New stuff would look fine on old equipment (although the color balance might be off), but old video never scales up well on modern viewers.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
I'm not sure what you're actually trying to say in this, unless you mean it was saved on a video cassette instead of a film reel. However, the reason it looks so shitty today is because those images were produced for a much smaller scale than today's monitors and TVs are made to handle. Because it's been scaled up to be playable on today's technology, it's been pixilated and warped throughout the images. Your phone has better resolution than a 20-inch TV from that era (and that was a big TV for most people).

It's not an illusion of memory that it looked better when we watched it on TV in the 80s and 90s. New stuff would look fine on old equipment (although the color balance might be off), but old video never scales up well on modern viewers.
I believe he means saved directly as a file instead of to film and then transferred to file later.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: FatGiant

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
I believe he means saved directly as a file instead of to film and then transferred to file later.
Then it would still have to have been a transfer, since I don't think there was anything shot digitally until 1996, and that's an 80s video, unless we're talking about video broadcast vs film, but we've had that since the beginning of television broadcasting (1920s I think?) ... I guess it could be the first music video made live in a studio instead on filmed on a set first.

EDIT: Can't stop thinking about this. Thanks for that WigglyWorld84 (added this 'cause it's your fault)

Here's the only production notes about the video on Wiki:

"In the music video, Devo performs for a group of young women in the style of a performance from The Ed Sullivan Show, with two robotic backup dancers, one male and one female. Further implying the televised nature of the performance, the color in the video is deliberately altered to make the red of the band's energy dome headgear look almost purple. The band wears the silver naugahyde suits from the cover of Freedom of Choice, and mime the song with Moog Liberation synthesizers."
(there's a bit more, but it's just more about the events happening in the video, not about style and production)

Last edited:
Reactions: WigglyWorld84

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Then it would still have to have been a transfer, since I don't think there was anything shot digitally until 1996, and that's an 80s video, unless we're talking about video broadcast vs film, but we've had that since the beginning of television broadcasting (1920s I think?) ... I guess it could be the first music video made live in a studio instead on filmed on a set first.
I don't know about that video at all, lol. I was just trying to interpret from what he said about it.

Reactions: Elhemeer

WigglyWorld84

Aug 14, 2021

I am talking VHS style video rather than cellulous film that needs to be developed. I am not that up on the specifics.

The youtube video i linked is significantly worse than my DVD of their videos. Though, the original is nearly as shitty looking.

That is some of the first uses of Blue screen (pre green screen) I ever saw too. DEVO paved the way on lots of tech. they were one of the first to use the MIDI format too and created an entire show around integrated video and music. All shit that is so commonplace now and any of us can do far better in a web browser.

I didn't mean to create such off-topic discussion, but I am having fun.

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
All I know is, back in my day the internet used to scream in torturous agony whenever I tried to get online.
The internet? In my day, we had a local BBS connected to FIDOnet...

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. 1200 Baud Modems on fire connecting to an ASCII based BBS. I watched email groups glitter in the dark near the FIDOnet Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain, because of the Internet.
Somebody come pick up your grandparents they're stuck in a reminiscence loop.
Get off our lawn, you whipper-snappers!

3.90 star(s) 282 Votes