Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Oh, I know. I suspect he quoted you for some reason, then reacted here and added your quote by accident.

Anyway, here you go:
View attachment 2835451
Hmmm ... a bit faster in the browser than on my computer. Weird. Still good though.
Yeah, that's what I thought too (though for a moment I thought I was being dragged here to overanalyze some plot point or something XD).

• Haha
Reactions: Dragon59

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
I don't really consider Google to be a minority on the internet.
1691472274480.png
1691472274480.png
You are trying to argue appeal to authority based on marketshare here when he explicitly said "most sites"
google does not claim to be the source of these lyrics. it just provides the lyrics from "musixmatch". (it explicitly lists the source).

However, Dragon59 said "most sites". Not "the sites with the most marketshare".
so you are arguing something completely different than what he said

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
IDK, Google show it as "in"
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
It's genuine that there was a bar called The Levee in New Rochelle, where he lived.
Rye (NY) is not very far.
As rye basically is whiskey, to me, it seems more plausible than "whiskey & rye".

Our local bar's run dry, so we've gone across the river to Rye, where they still have whiskey, them good ol' boys.
Or
Our bar's gone dry, but the good old boys were drinking whiskey & whiskey.
Former seems more likely, to me.
You are trying to argue appeal to authority based on marketshare here when he explicitly said "most sites"
google does not claim to be the source of these lyrics. it just provides the lyrics from "musixmatch". (it explicitly lists the source).

Damn ... not even Wikipedia talks about that line. Someone'll have to go watch the documentary on Paramount+ ... otherwise this is turning into the next "obsessively inane" debate ...

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018

Get over it, it was a 1 line joke, which I edited a while back, anyway.

Reactions: Dipper Pines

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
Bourbon is a type of whiskey.
If you had a night out drinking Jack Daniels most people (over here) would consider it a night on the whiskey.
Bourbon is a type, yes. But still not. But back to rye. Here in the States, rye is made with rye mash, not corn mash, which is what most whiskeys are made from. Another fact is that to be called rye, it has to have 51% rye mash or higher.

Orgitas

Jan 5, 2023
People here in the uk, at least, don't refer to things like JD as whiskey. It's a bourbon. Like we don't refer Guinness as a beer but a stout. It feels like an insult to call JD a whiskey as it is then lumped with actual many decent whiskeys.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Bourbon is a type, yes. But still not. But back to rye. Here in the States, rye is made with rye mash, not corn mash, which is what most whiskeys are made from. Another fact is that to be called rye, it has to have 51% rye mash or higher.
Would you differentiate, when recounting the night to friends, if you drank some bourbon + some rye on a night out? IDK how things are done, in America.
Over here, in England, most people I know wouldn't, because we're lazy, so lump it in together. They're all just US whiskey.
We would, however, differentiate drinking Scotch whisky, from bourbon (even while called whiskey).

All I know, is that Rye is a place close to McLean's hometown & The Levee was a bar in his hometown.
So it makes sense, to me, for him to be singing about a time when the bar was dry, so they drove to a neighbouring area where they had booze.

Edit: Just read that, much like rye's 51%, bourbon has the same req for 51% corn mash & it has to be aged in new charred oak barrels.
Both seem to have specific things that must be met, in order to earn the name.

Last edited:

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
Would you differentiate, when recounting the night to friends, if you drank some bourbon + some rye on a night out? IDK how things are done, in America.
Over here, in England, most people I know wouldn't, because they're all just US whiskey.
We would, however, differentiate drinking Scotch whisky, from bourbon (even while called whiskey).

All I know, is that Rye is a place close to McLean's hometown & The Levee was a bar in his hometown.
So it makes sense, to me, for him to be singing about a time when the bar was dry, so they drove to a neighbouring area where they had booze.

Edit: Just read that, much like rye's 51%, bourbon has the same req for 51% corn mash & it has to be aged in new charred oak barrels.
Both seem to have specific things that must be met, in order to earn the name.
Why would I need to? Only friends that I have, would've been out with me and we all know what each other drinks. I personally drink Jameson. Anyway, no need to recant what we would already know. Most of us don't even go out anymore. Too old for a night out and our significant others probably wouldn't appreciate it.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Why would I need to? Only friends that I have, would've been out with me and we all know what each other drinks. I personally drink Jameson. Anyway, no need to recant what we would already know. Most of us don't even go out anymore. Too old for a night out and our significant others probably wouldn't appreciate it.
lol Too true. Fortunately had plenty of good nights out when younger, but as I got older the consequences seemed to mount up.
Can't remember when the scales tipped, but the negative far outweighs the positive now, for me.

Orgitas

Jan 5, 2023
lol Too true. Fortunately had plenty of good nights out when younger, but as I got older the consequences seemed to mount up.
Can't remember when the scales tipped, but the negative far outweighs the positive now, for me.
Usually around the 25 year old mark. Sort of the mark when people mature in adulthood as it were. University days behind them and all that. Your body can't metabolise things as efficiently, especially your liver, things like Alcohol that it could when you were 21. Basically prior to 25 you are still growing, and maturing, physically. 25 and beyond you start to slowly age. So that is when the negatives start to outweigh things.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Usually around the 25 year old mark. Sort of the mark when people mature in adulthood as it were. University days behind them and all that. Your body can't metabolise things as efficiently, especially your liver, things like Alcohol that it could when you were 21. Basically prior to 25 you are still growing, and maturing, physically. 25 and beyond you start to slowly age. So that is when the negatives start to outweigh things.
lol was definitely later than 25, for me.
I was in Ibiza for my 30th, still clubbing until sunrise.
Wasn't long after that, though.
You don't wanna reach the point where you're the oldest guy in a club. That's sad.

• Haha
Reactions: FatGiant
3.80 star(s) 286 Votes