3.60 star(s) 10 Votes

JayDJay

Jan 7, 2018
I asked about it a while ago but was ignored, am i really the only one that gets the "Access to the path 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts' is denied." when launching the "GrowthLocalServer"? I think it's pretty weird i'm seemingly the only one with this problem.

The obvious suspicion would be that i'm not running it as admin but i can't even run it without admin privileges if i wanted to, it will only launch if i accept the privileges prompt, i even tried giving it full account access to no avail.

I don't have any special security software installed, looking at windows defender and firewall history it hasn't triggered anything.

Edit:

Guess i'm not the only one after all.
Had the same issue. It was my anti-virus that was blocking it. Perhaps the same thing is happening to you

Reactions: SukebeDude

SukebeDude

Jul 27, 2017
Had the same issue. It was my anti-virus that was blocking it. Perhaps the same thing is happening to you
Well, it didn't trigger my antivirus in the first place but i added the file to the exclusion list just to be sure and it's still blocked from accessing that system32 folder, i think it's some other built in security measure stopping it, i'm not sure what or how to fix it though, i haven't done anything beyond what Windows recommended, so no third party security software.

l8rdude

Jan 13, 2020
Well, it didn't trigger my antivirus in the first place but i added the file to the exclusion list just to be sure and it's still blocked from accessing that system32 folder, i think it's some other built in security measure stopping it, i'm not sure what or how to fix it though, i haven't done anything beyond what Windows recommended, so no third party security software.
Not sure what configuration or service denies you access to this file. Usually it's a 3rd party security software that prohibits any user changes that is then marketed as 'enhanced protection' but that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

Since there was no exception thrown for the webserver itself (your output says Listening but no other error messages regarding that) it's probable to assume it bound itself successfully to port 80. What you can try to do now is to edit C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts manually and add 127.0.0.1 growthrpg.com (all in one line) to it. Whatever editor you use for making these changes doesn't matter but it *has* be run as administrator.

Cheers,

Reactions: SukebeDude

SukebeDude

Jul 27, 2017
Not sure what configuration or service denies you access to this file. Usually it's a 3rd party security software that prohibits any user changes that is then marketed as 'enhanced protection' but that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

Since there was no exception thrown for the webserver itself (your output says Listening but no other error messages regarding that) it's probable to assume it bound itself successfully to port 80. What you can try to do now is to edit C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts manually and add 127.0.0.1 growthrpg.com (all in one line) to it. Whatever editor you use for making these changes doesn't matter but it *has* be run as administrator.

Cheers,
That worked, thanks, it wasn't at all worth the effort but at least we know how to fix it now, i'll check back on this game in a year or so to see if it has improved.

Yuri2purem88

Mar 10, 2020
Gave it a try n' all out of curiosity, now my netstat has like 20 different "Foreign Addresses" all labelled as GrowthRPG.
Kinda concerning, not gonna lie.

Reactions: RavenDG34

l8rdude

Jan 13, 2020
Gave it a try n' all out of curiosity, now my netstat has like 20 different "Foreign Addresses" all labelled as GrowthRPG.
Kinda concerning, not gonna lie.
That's just how name resolution works. It's only concerning if you don't understand what netstat's output actually means. Do netstat -a to see IPs instead of hostnames and suddenly you'll see 127.0.0.1 again.

Cheers,

Reactions: Wolfymare12
Feb 15, 2021
( sorry bad english ) A new version of the game has been released on patreon . When the new version will be released on f95zone ( GrowthRPG V0.3.0)

str8up

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2020
im not understanding what im suppose to do to get past the loading screen asking for patreon key doesnt seem to be any clear directions?

Futabu!

Donor
Nov 5, 2018

Cheers,
Changing the host file doesn't work for me either :x

3.60 star(s) 10 Votes