3.70 star(s) 32 Votes

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
On a more serious note, I won't say that he should listen to me specifically coz I'm all-knowing or something like that, but when the majority of your fans says the stuff with Madison was wrong and you don't give a crap about their opinion, then those fans won't give/stop giving a crap about your game. It's simple, check his to see if I'm right or not.
And I say that just because one faction is louder than the other it doesn't mean they are in the majority. You are once again projecting your views onto the community-at-large.
It's a proven fact that devs who listen to their fans make (way) more money and those who just tell their stories how they want without paying attention to feedback or becoming 'sellouts' make peanuts or abandon the project after the 1st/2nd update. Don't believe me, check all the abandoned game threads on this site and draw your own conclusions.
Tell that to Dr Pink Cake, who completely ignores F95, and given the number of subscribers he has (13,169), plus his earnings from Steam and other sources, must be grossing well over $500,000/year off his current game. And this is a developer who must have lost dozens of supporters when he posed a fateful question during his first game [Which one will you save?]. Did he listen to those people who were after his scalp? Of course not. He had a vision to which he remained faithful, finished that game, and started his current one. [I never could bring myself to make that decision and finish playing that game. But I was and remain a subscriber, and am glad of it.]

I have been around the block for a long time on F95 and seen how developers are treated by pirates who have no financial stake in any game.

While it is a good thing for novice developers to listen to feedback as they start out their games, that quickly turns sour as the game progresses. And it is best that they ignore forums like this one, as the law of diminishing returns sets in. I have been told by several developers that when they started out and asked for advice from experienced developers, the advice was to ignore F95. One developer that I respect ignored that advice, and keeps getting frustrated by the feedback from loudmouths. He keeps reading and responding to this forum though. I hope he can retain his sanity.

As for the number of abandoned games, there are any number of factors that enter in. I liken it to starting up any new business, such as a restaurant: there are more failures than there are successes. I suspect that many if not most games fail because the developers underestimated the time, money and computer resources needed to bring a game to completion. It also helps if a developer has a clear plan for the development of the game's plot; not just an idea for the start and maybe the ending and no clear idea of how to achieve the latter from the former.

Bhaiyajii19

Nov 16, 2021
And I say that just because one faction is louder than the other it doesn't mean they are in the majority. You are once again projecting your views onto the community-at-large.

Tell that to Dr Pink Cake, who completely ignores F95, and given the number of subscribers he has (13,169), plus his earnings from Steam and other sources, must be grossing well over $500,000/year off his current game. And this is a developer who must have lost dozens of supporters when he posed a fateful question during his first game [Which one will you save?]. Did he listen to those people who were after his scalp? Of course not. He had a vision to which he remained faithful, finished that game, and started his current one. [I never could bring myself to make that decision and finish playing that game. But I was and remain a subscriber, and am glad of it.]

I have been around the block for a long time on F95 and seen how developers are treated by pirates who have no financial stake in any game.

While it is a good thing for novice developers to listen to feedback as they start out their games, that quickly turns sour as the game progresses. And it is best that they ignore forums like this one, as the law of diminishing returns sets in. I have been told by several developers that when they started out and asked for advice from experienced developers, the advice was to ignore F95. One developer that I respect ignored that advice, and keeps getting frustrated by the feedback from loudmouths. He keeps reading and responding to this forum though. I hope he can retain his sanity.

As for the number of abandoned games, there are any number of factors that enter in. I liken it to starting up any new business, such as a restaurant: there are more failures than there are successes. I suspect that many if not most games fail because the developers underestimated the time, money and computer resources needed to bring a game to completion. It also helps if a developer has a clear plan for the development of the game's plot; not just an idea for the start and maybe the ending and no clear idea of how to achieve the latter from the former.
What are you doing here???

eddie987

Dec 5, 2018
I am curious what the honor/corruption points will used for. Thus far there doesn't seem to be any effect.
I can't say I checked thoroughly, but I think that so far there's one scene that plays out differently depending on your corruption points. After getting back home from the stripclub, if you have low corruption points you find Lucy playing the violin and with high (at least 4 if I remember correctly) you get attacked by a wolf right in front of the house and Lucy scares it away with her bow.

• Haha
Reactions: Look-see

hagare

Mar 27, 2019
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
KeyError: u'relmcm'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "script.rpyc", line 407, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 716, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/exports.py", line 1417, in say
    who(what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/character.py", line 1210, in __call__
    what = self.prefix_suffix("what", self.what_prefix, what, self.what_suffix)
  File "renpy/character.py", line 1125, in prefix_suffix
    return pattern.replace(thingvar, sub(body))
  File "renpy/character.py", line 1109, in sub
    return renpy.substitutions.substitute(s, scope=scope, force=force, translate=translate)[0]
  File "renpy/substitutions.py", line 270, in substitute
    s = formatter.vformat(s, (), kwargs)
  File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 563, in vformat
  File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 585, in _vformat
  File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 646, in get_field
  File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 605, in get_value
KeyError: u'relmcm'

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.8.1895
Hail To The King 
Tue Jan  4 20:18:23 2022
keeps happening

Markosh_1973

Nov 29, 2020
After reading so many negative comments and discussions about "the bathtub scene" here, I finally had to play this VN.
Maybe I saw a different scene or my brain works a little differently. (or I'm just stupid and naive?).

For me it is nothing more than indirectly very directly share their fantasies and seduce MC on the side and make him jealous or spur him on.
Or did I miss some scenes when she had something sexual going on with some guy?

Should I have misunderstood this discussion, or something important overread and missed I ask for improvement of my thoughts ;-)
(Man, I really liked her a little bit until now....) :unsure:

Cokebaths

May 30, 2020
Anyways, my issue with the bath tub scene is that the MC is too fucking easy and desperate. It's not very interesting to have a guy who's supposed to be a "King" get so easily tossed around. Now, I'm not saying he should've threw her to the floor and had his way but damn can we get a little backbone. As for her fucking other guys in her past... who tf cares. She's a grown woman, I just don't care to hear about it unless we're specifically having conversations about past partners. So yeah my thought process was "I didn't ask and I don't give a fuck."

TheorPhys

May 28, 2018
After reading so many negative comments and discussions about "the bathtub scene" here, I finally had to play this VN.
Maybe I saw a different scene or my brain works a little differently. (or I'm just stupid and naive?).

For me it is nothing more than indirectly very directly share their fantasies and seduce MC on the side and make him jealous or spur him on.
Or did I miss some scenes when she had something sexual going on with some guy?

Should I have misunderstood this discussion, or something important overread and missed I ask for improvement of my thoughts ;-)
(Man, I really liked her a little bit until now....) :unsure:
Just play it as you like and don't care about other ppl opinion. I didn't see anything wrong with scene as well.

X2Z

Aug 8, 2017
why can't i load any of my saves? they aren't from a previous version or anything. i do have the mod installed

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 462, in __call__
    renpy.load(fn)
Exception: Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in script
    python hide:
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ast.py", line 923, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/python.py", line 2235, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in <module>
    python hide:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 35, in _execute_python_hide
    ui.interact()
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ui.py", line 298, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/core.py", line 3276, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, **kwargs)
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/core.py", line 4110, in interact_core
    rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/layout.py", line 1090, in event
    rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/transition.py", line 48, in event
    return self.new_widget.event(ev, x, y, st) # E1101
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/layout.py", line 1090, in event
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/screen.py", line 720, in event
    rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/layout.py", line 1297, in event
    rv = super(Window, self).event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/layout.py", line 273, in event
    rv = d.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, st)
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/layout.py", line 1297, in event
    rv = super(Window, self).event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/layout.py", line 273, in event
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 979, in event
    return handle_click(self.clicked)
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 914, in handle_click
    rv = run(action)
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 329, in run
    return action(*args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 462, in __call__
    renpy.load(fn)
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/loadsave.py", line 771, in load
    log.unfreeze(roots, label="_after_load")
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/python.py", line 2190, in unfreeze
    self.rollback(0, force=True, label=label, greedy=greedy, on_load=True)
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/python.py", line 2014, in rollback
    self.load_failed()
  File "/Users/apple/Downloads/HailToTheKing_v0.3.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/python.py", line 1932, in load_failed
    raise Exception("Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?")
Exception: Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?

Darwin-20.6.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 7.4.8.1895
Hail To The King 
Wed Jan  5 11:51:56 2022

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
why can't i load any of my saves? they aren't from a previous version or anything. i do have the mod installed
You did fresh install of the new version? I have no problems with loads from new version with mod...
Copying new versions in old folders can leave some unwanted files that may cause problems like that.

X2Z

Aug 8, 2017
You did fresh install of the new version? I have no problems with loads from new version with mod...
Copying new versions in old folders can leave some unwanted files that may cause problems like that.
yes first time ever playing this game so.. guess i can try redownloading it or something. my saves load when they've been made in the same "session" but if i close the app and reopen it they dont load anymore. its very strange

3.70 star(s) 32 Votes