Orgitas

Jan 5, 2023
Well, truth be told... If the Dev has an ending for each girl... It will take them 10 years to release something.

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
Who knows? Perhaps one of the developers' patrons will share the March sitrep here. The last I heard is that he has to finish the big scene, make another big and two small scenes from scratch and do the postwork. He estimated the postwork in a week or two. So I think the rest of the work will take at least a couple of months. But that's just my guess.

Reactions: Y.Gromov

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
Old Man Al did so over a week ago, you even reacted to the post?
Oops, thank you for reminding, it seems that these games are completely mixed up in my head. I wish there was a thread with a summary of the progress of popular games, a table for example, where you can quickly find a link to a recent developer report and excerpts from it, like time estimates and all :)

Reactions: Meushi

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020
Oops, thank you for reminding, it seems that these games are completely mixed up in my head. I wish there was a thread with a summary of the progress of popular games, a table for example, where you can quickly find a link to a recent developer report and excerpts from it, like time estimates and all :)
Given the mass of games here, it would be almost impossible to do. For example, I currently follow around 20 AVN and still regularly discover titles that are obviously very popular and have a large following. It would be most possible if you would add such information to the first post as a separate category. Then a mod would have to update it every time. I don't know if they would be so enthusiastic about this extra effort. After all, the information can usually be found quickly using the search function or by reading a thread backwards a little. Unfortunately, many users are too lazy for that. I don't mean you with lazy, I'm speaking in general.

Vulkan08

Sep 11, 2021
I'm probably not that smart, so it just doesn't fit in my head how an adult sane person can be "milked" by a random game developer. What is this, some kind of cult where you are persuaded to give them everything you have? You can't stop donating any time you want? Are you not allowed to donate only after the developer has shown some progress? (I personally do not agree with the last sentence, a donation for me means a token of gratitude that is not tied to some milestones in the development of the game, but that's just me.) Anyway, this is more likely to indicate that you do not know how to manage your finances than that the developer is a cunning milker.
About the long development cycle, yes, it's frustrating, it's annoying, but then again, how could you expect anything different from a one-man project that is most likely done on a part-time basis. Every software development team I've seen or been a part of has experienced occasional deadline misses by some of the members. Come on, these are people, not automatic coding devices, they tend to underestimate, overestimate, miss things, they are affected by bad mood or depression or a million other reasons. When it is a team, miscalculations and mistakes of individual developers are corrected by the efforts of the rest, and as a result, the team is able to produce a stable result on average (although this does not always happen). But when it's one person, then every shortcoming or mistake made by this person immediately becomes a serious problem for the project and affects the overall result, isn't it obvious? And setting your expectations that the performance of one developer will be the same as that of the team will inevitably lead to frustration and accusation of the developer being a lazy ass. But then again, this is more a sign that you are missing the obvious and overstating expectations than that the developer is a bad bad person.
The other thing people tend to overlook is how large the Updates from Az are. The next update isnt going to be 200 renders, 400 lines, and done in 10-15 minutes. I have some Devs I follow that drop small updates every month, but you burn through the update in minutes, and others that update every few months, or even once a year, but their updates are significantly more substantial.

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020
I have some Devs I follow that drop small updates every month, but you burn through the update in minutes
Like Summer Heat. An update every three to four month but nearly no progress. You can play the actual version in literally one hour without skipping scenes and it feels like the story didn't started. I'm team "better to wait longer to get a real story update".

Jan 13, 2023
Like Summer Heat. An update every three to four month but nearly no progress. You can play the actual version in literally one hour without skipping scenes and it feels like the story didn't started. I'm team "better to wait longer to get a real story update".
I also follow "Summer Heat". There are a lot of vn's released daily, but the vast majority are more of the same. Could you suggest me some good vn's that you follow?

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Since Halfway House last had an update, Summer Heat's devs published the game and provided 3 subsequent updates totalling over 3,000 renders, not to mention the animations, the flawless phone UI and the collectibles. Maybe you play too quick. A new update is expected to come in the next 1-2 months, too.

Will Halfway House ep 10 come in the next couple of months (making it a 16-month development cycle) and have 3,000 renders? Considering that ep 9 took like 9 or 10 months and had 950 renders, I doubt it.
Btw, did the story advance much with ep 9 after 9 months? I remember people's comments from one year ago, and they weren't the most enthusiastic.

I still don't get this type of defense of a dev who's behaving like this, all the more so when the defense is based on disparaging other devs who are actually providing a fantastic product. Az's renders are very very god, but they can't compare with Summer Heat's gorgeous, detailed renders.

EDIT: I was wrong. Ep 9 didn't take 9 or 10 months, but A WHOLE YEAR to make :4Head:

Last edited:

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Why does this game not have the abandoned tag and other games that don’t have update after 9 months get it?
Because he gives updates to people that support him on patreon
Because according to F95's rules, the game gets the abandoned tag if it goes 18 months without an update, even if the dev still communicates with their supporters. In this case, it's "only" been 13 months.
The other case in which a game gets the "abandoned" treatment is if the dev goes missing for 6 months.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
I still don't get this type of defense of a dev who's behaving like this, all the more so when the defense is based on disparaging other devs who are actually providing a fantastic product. Az's renders are very very god, but they can't compare with Summer Heat's gorgeous, detailed renders.
I stand by my belief that any dev that collects money for a game, barring some legitimate unforeseen event, every developer should release something every three months at the very, very, longest. Two months should be the target. Even if it is only 10 minutes of game-play. Give the fans that are paying you something. If they miss that, they should apologize profusely to their paid supporters, and try their best to release as soon as possible and not let it happen again.

Obviously, very few devs do this. I am sure the thinking goes, in dev circles, if you can still make money working a handful of days a month, or less, why not? A sucker is born every minute, so they say.

I don't care if your game is the most incredible out there, there is no excuse for releasing once per year unless the dev is in a coma.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
I stand by my belief that any dev that collects money for a game, barring some legitimate unforeseen event, every developer should release something every three months at the very, very, longest. Two months should be the target. Even if it is only 10 minutes of game-play. Give the fans that are paying you something. If they miss that, they should apologize profusely to their paid supporters, and try their best to release as soon as possible and not let it happen again.

Obviously, very few devs do this. I am sure the thinking goes, in dev circles, if you can still make money working a handful of days a month, or less, why not? A sucker is born every minute, so they say.

I don't care if your game is the most incredible out there, there is no excuse for releasing once per year unless the dev is in a coma.
It depends on the type of game/story that particular dev is providing. For a sandbox game, 2 or 3 months is more than reasonable.
For a story-focused game, that's probably too short; the dev will most probably need longer than that to put together an episode or chapter of that story that feels organic to read and play.
I wouldn't focus as much on development time as on the product finally released and the level of support received: this guy was making over $4,000 a month when it took him 12 full months to deliver an update with 950 renders and little story progression. Now, he's still making 2,000-and-something and it's been 13 months since the last update.

The problem is that some people defend the idea that being someone's patron is like giving money to charity: allegedly, you do it to help them fulfil their dreams. This was discussed here 2 years ago or so. As I said back then, that's bullshit.
When someone's creations are behind a paywall, when only paying patrons are allowed to enjoy those creations (in theory), and when the devs even set some support goals for themselves that are linked to some kind of reward or behaviour on their part, it becomes paying in exchange for something rather than a liberality. Patrons pay game devs so that they continue making the games that those patrons enjoy, not so that they can fulfill any abstract dream of theirs or suddenly start doing something entirely different.

It would be different if we were talking about a youtuber or an artist who releases their creations for free for everyone to enjoy. In that case, you could support that artist only if you want to, as a gift, becase having access to those works wouldn't be restricted to paying supporters.

4.30 star(s) 178 Votes