Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Fuck me, reading the new info for beta 2, being super excited, and right as I am about to go to bed.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Runey

SpikyHair

Nov 13, 2019
It's a good thing,
To be honest... I'm not so sure I could agree with this the way things stand right now.

"Early access" or whatever you want to call it is, ultimately, a tool. It can be used to positive effect, or, as it's unfortunate tendency to see in game industry nowadays, as a means of "leveraging" cash-flow without having to put in the effort to really make a good game.
back then there wasn't much demand for games so people had to pay players to play a broken game,
To be honest, QA has always been seen by the upper management as largely pointless "money sink." Mostly because people in those positions either have no idea what QA really adds to the product, or (rightfully or not) think it ultimately does not matter whether or not something works flawlessly and well, as long as those affected by issues are small enough of a percentage of the customer base.

Kind of like IT department in larger organizations. When they can do their work well, you don't really notice the effects of it. What you do notice is when you keep cutting down the budget until things start falling apart, and suddenly that works turns extremely critical.

Then gets outsourced to some third-party "provider" from an underdeveloped country (because wages), and things are hardly better, but that's another story.
now gaming is so popular that demand has switched places with supply and now people will pay a lot of money to play something before others get it. You witnessed the birth of an industry, and now it's flourishing :)
It's more that gaming became an affordable mainstream hobby, so the percentage of "I can't wait and this advert looks so awesome and who cares if it's from a publisher that keeps releasing shiny turds LOOK AT THE GRAPHICS!" customers (basically teens and easily impressionable young adults) gets refreshed so often even companies like EA, rightfully loathed by both the industry and gamers alike, still keep in business and do pretty darn toot well, to boot.

It doesn't help that the constant stream of "we'll fix it post-release" titles is constantly increasing the collective acceptance of steady decrease in quality (see above "young impressionable self-replacing audience" comment), and I won't even go into the totally awesome paradigm the industry realized in cutting out parts of originally planned content to sell it as separate DLCs and MTS.

For the record, even back before the internet companies could, and did, patch their games. There's a reason lots of gaming magazines used to come with floppies (and later CDs) ;)
On the other hand, you also get a different level of help when you hire a professional over letting any rando doing too.
Most people really do not appreciate how technical "quality assurance" job is.

It's not "playing the game," and you do need a very specific skillset (and frankly, personality) to be really good at it.
OMG, HA, I haven't seen that in years.
Runey's such a hipster he puts in HH memes from back before memes were a thing ;)

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
To be honest... I'm not so sure I could agree with this the way things stand right now.

"Early access" or whatever you want to call it is, ultimately, a tool. It can be used to positive effect, or, as it's unfortunate tendency to see in game industry nowadays, as a means of "leveraging" cash-flow without having to put in the effort to really make a good game.

To be honest, QA has always been seen by the upper management as largely pointless "money sink." Mostly because people in those positions either have no idea what QA really adds to the product, or (rightfully or not) think it ultimately does not matter whether or not something works flawlessly and well, as long as those affected by issues are small enough of a percentage of the customer base.
What you're describing is a byproduct of rampant capitalism, early access in and of itself is a good thing. It helps the devs find bugs for a polished release, and it supports the devs during the development phase so it may be finished. As an example, I wouldn't be able to finish HH if no one supported it during its development. I started with $0 and a computer. It is only those greedy few who run companies that use whatever they can to make an extra dollar. So many games these days, including mine, would never see the light of day without early access supporters.

Last edited:

SpikyHair

Nov 13, 2019
early access in and of itself is a good thing
Myeah, I probably should've specified I meant what I said within the scope of "established business" developers.

No argument EA and its ilk was crucial in expanding market access to tiny developers, regardless of the frequent abuse of the process.

And yes, it would've been nice if our laws kept up with tech progress better. Wouldn't mind seeing legally binding obligations codified to require things like Steam's EA to either provide a decently developed result, or force developers that decide to drop the project to publish their code as open source.

I get that "decently developed result" is not exactly a legal term, and it would require a lot of thought and care to define what exactly it should be, but the threat (well... assuming it'd get actually enforced, not treated like, say, GDPR violations, heh) of open-sourcing a failed project alone should prevent at least the most glaring abuse of EA that all too often happens nowadays. Especially if there was also a codified way for customers who feel screwed over by whatever "final version" gets released (especially if the roadmap or prior advertisement of it was blatantly different) to have easier time at launching class action suit to force open-sourcing the code.

That way, even if the developer does a number on people who pay, the "community" itself can salvage some of it (if not actually finish the damn game in the first place). As things are right now, Steam sure loves to keep listing things that are daylight rip-offs. Even after the development studio ends up long dissolved, and even when there's no third-party publisher.

Blatant cash grab, but Holy GabeN something something.

ankhtar

Jan 24, 2020
Isn't there a (legit) way now to swap between the love/slave routes in-game? I don't believe you'd need a whole new save just to view that specific content.

Skode

Mar 9, 2020
Isn't there a (legit) way now to swap between the love/slave routes in-game? I don't believe you'd need a whole new save just to view that specific content.
As far as im aware no, the choice is one or other and you cant just change said pathing on a whim.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Yeah there is, slaveroute_girls name, or loveroute_girls name.
Or as I just realised, copy over the persistent and skip it.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Not without using a cheatcode. I had thought that Runey mentioned adding an ingame way of doing it in a future update, but it's been assumed that he was talking about adding the cheat.
Probably the only way to do it, as a cheat which resets their stats.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheDevian

ankhtar

Jan 24, 2020
That was what I meant, yes, changing the route you picked via a cheat, similar to the money cheat. I wasn't sure whether it had been implemented or if it was just mentioned as something to be added in the future.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
That was what I meant, yes, changing the route you picked via a cheat, similar to the money cheat. I wasn't sure whether it had been implemented or if it was just mentioned as something to be added in the future.
Yes added to the recent public version, just enter it by code in your pc in your room and then it resets their stats.

darkevilnite

Dec 26, 2019
Runey, just want to say this game is amazing. It is the best game on this site in my opinion and belongs in everyone's top 10 (at least). The writing is great for this genre and the characters feel like they have real personalities. Well, "real" might be a stretch considering they are in a harem, but I think you get my point. I've played through the game a few times now and I am always looking forward to the next update. You've done an excellent job and I hope you keep working on this fantastic game!

4.70 star(s) 445 Votes