Jan 18, 2018
Even they admit their super compressed version has the chance to be buggy specifically because they compressed it further.
yea no if you know how image compression works, it's just... a different image with the same extension. of course, the difference is with most games the images are originally pngs, so compressors *must* change the extension, and they can easily miss it sometimes, especially if the original game builds the full path out of parts

The more you compress something, the more chances there are for bugs once you pass the point the official version is already at
so this is just objectively wrong. images are images, the images being more or less compressed will have exactly zero effect on bugs - it's just whether the images are compressed or not. (and again, in this case they're already webps so they're already pretty compressed)

The png issue is minimal at best
because it has already been fixed.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
And what do we talk about? I talk about the compression - without changing anything more in the code than the file extension for the affected image or animations.

Even I'm warning the players about my patchs. My major reason for this are not that I fear that are a bug in the patch, although it have happen once, but that the players simple don't read my instruction and thus don't followed it and that resulting in a bug.
Also the bug that have happen with my patch was that my creation method was faulty. If it isn't then it would have the exact same bugs than the official release from Runey.

I don't see what could add bugs here, other than what I've written before. The only thing I've seen who could cause issues is if you happen to play with the clickable images (eg. click on the door). I don't have knowledge of how that works in Ren'Py (or any other engine), but general speaking you need to define the clickable area and define what will happen (eg. clicking on Lins door calls the function knockOnLinsDoor).
Only way I see how a compression could fuck up here, is if you compress the image that the previous defined clickable area from the original image now is not the same anymore in the "ultra"-compressed one.

Other than that I simply don't see how a compression could add bugs to a game if you not compress the scripts too. ;)

Runey says he compress it as much as he can under his quality demands. We can compress it future if we set other quality levels. Sure the game site will only goes up in time and nothing will change that. It is how it work. Even if you go from Ren'Py to another engine the game size still will increase with every update even if the other engine will actually render the scenes and not display pre-render scence. Alone the defintion of for the render is (little) data that adds to the game even with the best possible compression in use.

No, it isn't. I and every only compressor don't write code. Compressors only change code if the needed (eg. image42.png to image42.webp). I haven't needed to do even that. Do you want to convince me that the possibility is the same for writting new code and small or none change to change existing code?
Well, I was talking about the bugs that can occur while you were talking about how it affects the quality. While that is an issue, it is not the same issue.

Whether people who use your patch read instructions or not is irrelevant, bugs happen, it doesn't matter how good your work is, they will slip through occasionally. As for your patches, those actually alter code, compression does not unless somebody does so for some reason, but both are capable of producing error messages.

Playing with clickable objects in the game won't do much by itself, but if the code gets altered, there can be problems depending on how it is altered.

Yes, it does come with the same risks, too much compression and the game will cease to operate entirely. It won't just stop opening, but it will be a continuous wall of error codes only closable by exiting the game. I don't need to convince you about changing the code being able to fuck up the game, it can, badly if the change is somewhere important enough. It doesn't matter how big a change you make in the code, there is always the possibility of bugs, that's just one of the risks of programming. One character different, as in characters on the keyboard not like Lin, and the whole game is done for until the character is fixed in the code.

Yeah, but the goal is to change all that in our lifetimes, before the game is over. The thing is, with us working for a better future, it's not going to get worse, other than maybe a few brief moments. This is a happy story.

But it is not something you have any evidence for. It is not something you can factor in, because it may not be even remotely the case. For all you know, there are breeding farms. You keep acting as if this is a fact, but you have less then no reason to assume so.

Yeah, that is why we need long term plans, not just trying to take out the people at the top. You have to work your way up. Unless we start a war (killing thousands, if not millions), we have to work politically, and having as many allies as we can get is going to be necessary.

Yeah, that is my point. That is why it is so easy to use it to spread false information. You don't have to speculate, we saw it first hand. There ARE people like that, and statistically speaking at least half the population is like that. Recent surveys show 53% get their news from Social Media.
A goal which, if we don't do this right, will fail and it will be the length of an elven lifetime if it ever succeeds. We still have no idea what will happen down the road, including any immediate threats to the elves. We need to plan for those ahead of time, preempt them so we already have a plan in place if they happen, including the potential 'If I can't have them' scenario once we inevitably back the slavers into a corner. You know what they say about cornered rats, right?

We don't have much choice but to factor it in even if only as a potentiality, the elves are in an unfavorable position and we need to plan for the possibilities that come with that. Here's the issue, we have no current evidence of what is going on right now, we only have evidence of what already happened. We don't know if there are breeding farms or not. I'm not acting as if it is fact because I am acting on a potential future, something nobody can predict 100% accurately. We need to be prepared for the worst and hope that we encounter the best.

As I said, a war may be the only option that gets us a full victory. Otherwise, we may take some losses before we can save them all. I'm not saying go complete US vs Japan on them, we know how that one ended and it wasn't pretty, but we need to be prepared to take drastic measures in case the political process proves too slow.

Unfortunately, yes, though it may be fortunate for us if we find enough people stupid enough to rely on social media.

yea no if you know how image compression works, it's just... a different image with the same extension. of course, the difference is with most games the images are originally pngs, so compressors *must* change the extension, and they can easily miss it sometimes, especially if the original game builds the full path out of parts

so this is just objectively wrong. images are images, the images being more or less compressed will have exactly zero effect on bugs - it's just whether the images are compressed or not. (and again, in this case they're already webps so they're already pretty compressed)

because it has already been fixed.
That's the issue, it's a different image, the code doesn't recognize it and throws up an error. This is a risk with compression. The same file type can only compress so far, then you have to switch to a smaller one, which comes with having to change the code itself, which is one character away from completely breaking the game. Code can be that volatile, I've done it before in my early days.

Except it is A LOT more complicated than 'images are images' when it comes to including them in code that directly calls the specific image in a program that can be VERY picky about file types right down to minor differences in the same extension. Even using an incompatible codec can cause bugs, but the goal of compression isn't making things compatible, it is to make them smaller.

No, not because it's been fixed, because it already had very little effect. At worst it made the game a tiny bit bigger than if no png files remained after conversion to webp. Unlike compressing the game further, which has its own share of issues.

Last edited:

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
As for your patches, those actually alter code, compression does not unless somebody does so for some reason, but both are capable of producing error messages.
Thanks for knowing my patch better than myself.:ROFLMAO:
If I would have alter code, I can guarantee I would know that. But I am a lazy bum and don't change code if I can work my arse around that.

Yes, it does come with the same risks, too much compression and the game will cease to operate entirely.
Let me get this straight: Compressing picture can break the game?
Sure.:rolleyes: Anyone up to the challenge to compress this game way behond the threshold of ugly mess of images. If doing this, then the game certain will be faulty as hell.

I'm out of this topic.:censored:

Reactions: TheDevian

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Thanks for knowing my patch better than myself.:ROFLMAO:
If I would have alter code, I can guarantee I would know that. But I am a lazy bum and don't change code if I can work my arse around that.

Let me get this straight: Compressing picture can break the game?
Sure.:rolleyes: Anyone up to the challenge to compress this game way behond the threshold of ugly mess of images. If doing this, then the game certain will be faulty as hell.

I'm out of this topic.:censored:
It isn't what you did, it is what it does. That's what a patch is in programming talk, a piece of code that alters the code of the host program, even if just temporarily like the patches that are needed for content not allowed here. Remove them and the content isn't there, put them in and the content is there. It alters already existing code, usually a flag in the code set to false without the patch.

Yes, compressing images can break the game. That doesn't mean it WILL, it just means that can happen. Compression means changing the underlying properties of an image and doing that enough changes the underlying properties enough that they are either no longer recognized as the image needed or are no longer in a format the game can handle. Renpy can't handle every media format, no program can, nor can it handle every codec used in every file type, again no program can. Some file types are incompatible as are some codecs used on the same file type, for example an MP4 that was made using the h.264 codec would be compatible with Windows Media Player, but an MP4 that was made using VP9 may not be, keep in mind this is just an example and does not reflect actual compatibility.

fonel

Nov 22, 2019
I mean, if I understand your question correctly, you're basically just asking if you can put your game up on Patreon/Subscribestar/Buy Me a Coffee? And you seem to be worried about it, because you're uncertain about trying to monetize something you created while using another program?
Sure you can; you wouldn't be the first, nor the last. Plenty of people have projects up on Patreon that use programs like Honey Select and DAZ. Using a program like that to make your product doesn't violate any licence or copyright law. Provided you don't include any illegal stuff in your game, like underage characters engaged in sexual behaviour, and your storyline, characters and coding aren't blatantly plagarised, you're good to go (and even then, you might be covered by fair use exemption if it's parody, rather than theft).
I'm not a lawyer, but using a programm to make content like Honey Select 2 Studio would have their own software license agreement. Based on this, in my eyes, would depend what they allow or not. Same goes for Ren'Py, but in my understanding Ren'Py is FOSS software, were Honey Select 2 Studio isn't, yet both have their terms.

What actual content you make (eg. a Star Wars mix) and what of that is allowed or not, would depend on the actual case and how they handle such things and a lot, lot more.
Also we have over 193 nations and depending where you are, it would be different.
Thank you all so much for providing very informative matters about my question. I learned so much. I wish you all the best for your kindness in helping me sate my curiousity :)

Reactions: c3p0

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
A goal which, if we don't do this right, will fail and it will be the length of an elven lifetime if it ever succeeds. We still have no idea what will happen down the road, including any immediate threats to the elves. We need to plan for those ahead of time, preempt them so we already have a plan in place if they happen, including the potential 'If I can't have them' scenario once we inevitably back the slavers into a corner. You know what they say about cornered rats, right?

We don't have much choice but to factor it in even if only as a potentiality, the elves are in an unfavorable position and we need to plan for the possibilities that come with that. Here's the issue, we have no current evidence of what is going on right now, we only have evidence of what already happened. We don't know if there are breeding farms or not. I'm not acting as if it is fact because I am acting on a potential future, something nobody can predict 100% accurately. We need to be prepared for the worst and hope that we encounter the best.

As I said, a war may be the only option that gets us a full victory. Otherwise, we may take some losses before we can save them all. I'm not saying go complete US vs Japan on them, we know how that one ended and it wasn't pretty, but we need to be prepared to take drastic measures in case the political process proves too slow.

Unfortunately, yes, though it may be fortunate for us if we find enough people stupid enough to rely on social media.
Which is why we need to start small, and use any help we can get.

It is just as much of a potential outcome as a breeding program, that helps them outnumber us. Preparing for the worst here, would be to start a breeding program, if there is any indication that their population is going down. What I am saying is that if we do get some indication of that being an issue, we have a bunch of ways to correct it, it's not really worth concerning ourselves over.

That is the thing, they are there, waiting to be found. The only thing we would need, is a few interested people, and a good VPN system to hide their locations. Set up a bunch of fake accounts, and start sending out posts. For a silly example, check out the South Park episode,'Franchise Prequel'. Butters sets up a company to trash the other boys on Facebook, even hiring Mark Zuckerberg to protect him. Kali's step-mom could get people, we could get elves, Vanessa's friends, etc...

Reactions: alex2011

Chazam

Jul 26, 2021
Which is the latest story quest of Ashley ?
I'm not sure that I already completed the quest or not

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Which is why we need to start small, and use any help we can get.

It is just as much of a potential outcome as a breeding program, that helps them outnumber us. Preparing for the worst here, would be to start a breeding program, if there is any indication that their population is going down. What I am saying is that if we do get some indication of that being an issue, we have a bunch of ways to correct it, it's not really worth concerning ourselves over.

That is the thing, they are there, waiting to be found. The only thing we would need, is a few interested people, and a good VPN system to hide their locations. Set up a bunch of fake accounts, and start sending out posts. For a silly example, check out the South Park episode,'Franchise Prequel'. Butters sets up a company to trash the other boys on Facebook, even hiring Mark Zuckerberg to protect him. Kali's step-mom could get people, we could get elves, Vanessa's friends, etc...
And what I'm saying is small may mean it is too late further down the line to do anything and still hope to liberate them.

Preparing for the worst isn't starting a breeding program, no, that's preparing for the worst on THEIR side. Preparing for the worst on OUR side means being ready to take immediate and decisive action to liberate as many elves as possible. This can mean being prepared to get our hands dirty.

Or we could get a mix of the three. A cyber campaign would definitely be of great assistance in trying for a peaceful solution, but we still need to be prepared to go the other direction if necessary.

still waiting for compressed version
The main version is already as compressed as it is going to get without having problems ranging from quality loss on a large scale to issues with the game actually running, including errors while playing.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
And what I'm saying is small may mean it is too late further down the line to do anything and still hope to liberate them.

Preparing for the worst isn't starting a breeding program, no, that's preparing for the worst on THEIR side. Preparing for the worst on OUR side means being ready to take immediate and decisive action to liberate as many elves as possible. This can mean being prepared to get our hands dirty.

Or we could get a mix of the three. A cyber campaign would definitely be of great assistance in trying for a peaceful solution, but we still need to be prepared to go the other direction if necessary.
Well, starting small, doesn't mean we will stay small, once our work starts to pay off, and people start buying into it, we can ramp it up quickly. We do have a lot of backing after all.

While I do want to liberate as many as possible, we only have one reasonable way to do that right now, buy them ourselves. Unless we want to send them to the Desert or High elves, they would just end up back in the system again. Every slave Nia/Sui saves, goes right back into the system, to find a new master, hoping that they get one that is nicer than the last. She doesn't really 'free' anyone. Most of the ones she saves are from illegal slave owners and really abusive assholes that are breaking the law, she doesn't actually free them.

Cyber campaign, radio, TV, movies, and any other way to spread rumors and 'news'.

Just think about it... (off the top of my head...)

Jia and Grace - a show we can start making once we marry Jia, and it can show the two of them living together, and Jia can start to show that she is not useless without a human, like the campaigns they have going now, but she is the one who is always helping the bumbling Grace out of her weekly jams...

Elfville - a story about an elf who was abandoned and found by a human couple who raised her as their own, but she had to hide her identity, or the authorities would take her away (this could also work with a half elf, who had their ears clipped... maybe even Maria). Not only do they get to see her struggles with trying to hide, but she could secretly go around saving people (maybe using her 'elf magic'). lol Could be like a magical girl anime.

The Greatest Sylvanian Hero - A human who works for the government, maybe a parody of Cornwall, and his slave are out in the middle of nowhere one day, when suddenly a spaceship comes down, and gives them a super suit. The human, being a dick, makes the elf try on the suit first, in case it is dangerous, and it bonds to them, so only they can use it from them on. The human then thinks he can use the elf to stop crimes, which he says includes saving elves that are being abused, so the slave agrees, even after learning they are super strong, fast, can fly, and all that in the suit, but it's hard to control (hilarity ensues). So, the human tries to get them to enforce their laws, but the elf starts to get more and more bold, and less willing to take orders as the story goes, all the while, they are helping people, while the human continues to be a bit of a jackass, showing the elf as the hero, who ignores orders when it means helping someone.

Could do like a funny soap opera parody, like Soap, where they have an elf butler, who is always fixing all of the dumb family's mistakes.

Could have a post apocalypse story, where the humans and the elves went to war, and almost everyone died. At this point, only a few people still care if you are human or elf, some old hatreds stay, but most people are just trying to survive, one day at a time. Mad Mia! The leather clad elf, with a bad attitude and a heart of gold.

An Archie Bunker parody, where the dad is a bigot, the mom is nice but conservative, and the teen-adult child and their boy/girl-friend are both abolitionists. This one could have Ashley's dad as the inspiration for the main character.

Luu Pin - A story of two elves (Luu and Pin) who are master cat burglars, and do some robin hood shit, go around helping orphans, and other poor kids.

Space Trek Wars - Taking place far, far in the future, a long, long ways away, elves, humans, and aliens, working together in their federation, battling the evil empire... bla bla bla... ;)

Starving Games - Elves, forced to fight for food, this is the story of one 'young' elf, trying to feed her sick mother, or whatever.

Similar Strokes - An elf slave dies, and her master 'adopts' her two children. The two kids could be based on Lin and Jin, "What'chu talkin' about, Jinny?!?!?"

Maybe 'The Elf Maid's Tale' - Another dystopian future, where most male elves are sent out to work, while all fertile females are kept pregnant at almost all times, as that is their only use, to make more elves and half elves. This story revolves around one elf maid, who learns that she is baron, and how much worse her life becomes once the word gets out. After she gets pushed around enough, she starts a revolution or some shit, or maybe it doesn't have a happy ending. That could also work to make people think, maybe she dies in the end, crushed by the system.

Ms. Android - An android ends up replacing a teacher at a school, originally she was just supposed to be a substitute teacher, but she does such a good job, and the kids like her so much, they keep her on full time.

The Elf-Files - Two government agents investigate strange cases, one of them always convinced that it is 'elf magic' that caused it, but in the end, it is always something mundane, and the elves were just a scapegoat.

The Toymaker - Use the web comic for yet another dystopian story.

Elf Park - A cartoon about 4 elf children, just being kids.

Mac, The Bounty Hunter - About a space bounty hunter, flying around in their armor, having fun... But, after a while, they take off the helmet, and there is an elf under there.

Need I go on? XD
Also anyone got a full save? reaalllyy just d oingg it for the gallery
The gallery if far from complete, it's better to play the game.

Reactions: Runey

Reedman07

Jul 24, 2017
Well, starting small, doesn't mean we will stay small, once our work starts to pay off, and people start buying into it, we can ramp it up quickly. We do have a lot of backing after all.

While I do want to liberate as many as possible, we only have one reasonable way to do that right now, buy them ourselves. Unless we want to send them to the Desert or High elves, they would just end up back in the system again. Every slave Nia/Sui saves, goes right back into the system, to find a new master, hoping that they get one that is nicer than the last. She doesn't really 'free' anyone. Most of the ones she saves are from illegal slave owners and really abusive assholes that are breaking the law, she doesn't actually free them.

Cyber campaign, radio, TV, movies, and any other way to spread rumors and 'news'.

Just think about it... (off the top of my head...)

Jia and Grace - a show we can start making once we marry Jia, and it can show the two of them living together, and Jia can start to show that she is not useless without a human, like the campaigns they have going now, but she is the one who is always helping the bumbling Grace out of her weekly jams...

Elfville - a story about an elf who was abandoned and found by a human couple who raised her as their own, but she had to hide her identity, or the authorities would take her away (this could also work with a half elf, who had their ears clipped... maybe even Maria). Not only do they get to see her struggles with trying to hide, but she could secretly go around saving people (maybe using her 'elf magic'). lol Could be like a magical girl anime.

The Greatest Sylvanian Hero - A human who works for the government, maybe a parody of Cornwall, and his slave are out in the middle of nowhere one day, when suddenly a spaceship comes down, and gives them a super suit. The human, being a dick, makes the elf try on the suit first, in case it is dangerous, and it bonds to them, so only they can use it from them on. The human then thinks he can use the elf to stop crimes, which he says includes saving elves that are being abused, so the slave agrees, even after learning they are super strong, fast, can fly, and all that in the suit, but it's hard to control (hilarity ensues). So, the human tries to get them to enforce their laws, but the elf starts to get more and more bold, and less willing to take orders as the story goes, all the while, they are helping people, while the human continues to be a bit of a jackass, showing the elf as the hero, who ignores orders when it means helping someone.

Could do like a funny soap opera parody, like Soap, where they have an elf butler, who is always fixing all of the dumb family's mistakes.

Could have a post apocalypse story, where the humans and the elves went to war, and almost everyone died. At this point, only a few people still care if you are human or elf, some old hatreds stay, but most people are just trying to survive, one day at a time. Mad Mia! The leather clad elf, with a bad attitude and a heart of gold.

An Archie Bunker parody, where the dad is a bigot, the mom is nice but conservative, and the teen-adult child and their boy/girl-friend are both abolitionists. This one could have Ashley's dad as the inspiration for the main character.

Luu Pin - A story of two elves (Luu and Pin) who are master cat burglars, and do some robin hood shit, go around helping orphans, and other poor kids.

Space Trek Wars - Taking place far, far in the future, a long, long ways away, elves, humans, and aliens, working together in their federation, battling the evil empire... bla bla bla... ;)

Starving Games - Elves, forced to fight for food, this is the story of one 'young' elf, trying to feed her sick mother, or whatever.

Similar Strokes - An elf slave dies, and her master 'adopts' her two children. The two kids could be based on Lin and Jin, "What'chu talkin' about, Jinny?!?!?"

Maybe 'The Elf Maid's Tale' - Another dystopian future, where most male elves are sent out to work, while all fertile females are kept pregnant at almost all times, as that is their only use, to make more elves and half elves. This story revolves around one elf maid, who learns that she is baron, and how much worse her life becomes once the word gets out. After she gets pushed around enough, she starts a revolution or some shit, or maybe it doesn't have a happy ending. That could also work to make people think, maybe she dies in the end, crushed by the system.

Ms. Android - An android ends up replacing a teacher at a school, originally she was just supposed to be a substitute teacher, but she does such a good job, and the kids like her so much, they keep her on full time.

The Elf-Files - Two government agents investigate strange cases, one of them always convinced that it is 'elf magic' that caused it, but in the end, it is always something mundane, and the elves were just a scapegoat.

The Toymaker - Use the web comic for yet another dystopian story.

Elf Park - A cartoon about 4 elf children, just being kids.

Mac, The Bounty Hunter - About a space bounty hunter, flying around in their armor, having fun... But, after a while, they take off the helmet, and there is an elf under there.

Need I go on? XD

The gallery if far from complete, it's better to play the game.
I reaelly just waannaa gget into whacking my junior ratheer than playing a game I have finished before l lol

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I reaelly just waannaa gget into whacking my junior ratheer than playing a game I have finished before l lol
A lot of that has been redone, so it's worth doing. I would give you mine, but it's kind of broken. If you really don't want to play though, you can use the search feature, sort by date, and look, there are a number of them posted, some requiring the mod, others not.

Last edited:

imzahai

Apr 19, 2019
A lot of that has been redone, so it's worth doing. I would give you mine, but it's kind of broken. If you really don't want to play though, you can use the search feature, sort by date, and look, there are a number of them posted, some requiring the mod, others not.
i have started over more than 2x, once because i borked my game, and the other 2 because i wanted to see the updates, and i am very glad that i did so.

4.70 star(s) 452 Votes