Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
I just made several posts saying it already, you know... Not even counting an old one.
Apart proposing you to test the mod with the last compatible version and see what it offers ingame, I don't know how to explain it better.

Like I said before, I cannot tell you that something isn't clear if I don't know that it EXISTS - unless re-exploring all the possibilities and combinations available ingame.
You've made several posts describing how the mod works, not how I could improve the game. I'm not going to copy that mod and include it in the game, and the game is already easy to progress, so what are you suggesting exactly? Nothing is being hidden.

If you never knew any of this existed, then what are you complaining about regarding the walkthrough? You can't even point the issues out because they don't exist? All events already tell you exactly what you need to do if it is available.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDevian

Wisblade

Jul 2, 2019
Your impression is correct, all I've had to do is patrol the rooms for a talk option and I occasionally stumbled, yes stumbled, into a side girl event like Vanessa's while doing that whenever I would go to the lobby. The instructions were very clear, such as what I had to do for the side girl hot spring scene.
You said it: "I had to patrol". Going everywhere to see what's new isn't the funniest part, I want the story, not only wearing out my mouse's left button. There is "Hidden objects" games for that.

I didn't make Harem Hotel and I find it easy to play. I'm also not the only player not developing the game that finds it easy. Pretty much every event boils down to patrol the room doors for a talk option, occasionally check other rooms for side character events, and always pay attention to the end text of every event because it tells you what to do next.
Did I said that game wasn't easy? Dude, I was speaking all the time to simply have a CENTRALIZED information source, instead of "having to patrol", like you said it yourself...

As for people 'crying' over the mod, there's something you might want to take into consideration and it is especially true of people on F95. A lot of people, I'm trying to avoid saying everyone because some do genuinely have issues with the games on this site that cause them to get stuck, want a walkthrough, walkthrough mod, cheats, galleries, stuff like that for the purpose of avoiding the gameplay so they can just fap. This is in direct conflict with the purpose of games like Lessons in Love or Harem Hotel. While, yes, they do have some of that, they also have gameplay elements that are meant to be played as Runey and I have mentioned.
I'm well aware of this problem of "let's unlock gallery and fap"... Not my own case.

Speaking of "Lessons in Love", being STUCK because I never went to the dorms THEN going back home doing nothing - so never triggered a "happy scene" - was particularly annoying, up to near disgust me of the game, to be honest. Thanks to the mod, I got it finally, but I'll need to restart the whole game to solve some other issues. Also, clearly, this game - despite all its qualities - is the typical game that benefits from an ingame walkthrough, in order to NOT be blocked on a girl's path because you followed another girl a bit too much. I play games for fun, not to have problems and headaches - I have a paid work for these particular purposes.

It's not the case in "Harem Hotel": I repeat myself, I don't miss the walkthrough, I miss the INTERFACE of the mod, and what it provides to the game. But I can say whatever I want, if I speak to people who never TRIED it, I won't convince them.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
You said it: "I had to patrol". Going everywhere to see what's new isn't the funniest part, I want the story, not only wearing out my mouse's left button. There is "Hidden objects" games for that.

Did I said that game wasn't easy? Dude, I was speaking all the time to simply have a CENTRALIZED information source, instead of "having to patrol", like you said it yourself...
Okay, now it is clear that you want a centralized cheat sheet that tells you everything you want to know and exactly where everyone is... My friend, that is the walkthrough mod. Not Harem Hotel. Cheat menus like that never appear in the base game for a reason. But you are more than welcome to use that mod if it ever updates. I will not be adding that though.

Wisblade

Jul 2, 2019
You've made several posts describing how the mod works, not how I could improve the game. I'm not going to copy that mod and include it in the game, and the game is already easy to progress, so what are you suggesting exactly? Nothing is being hidden.
I thought I was clear enough... Obviously not. Informations aren't centralized currently ingame, they are with the mod, I suggest to make something similar natively - without mod - so that it won't be mandatory to "patrol", like alex2011 said it, to knew what to do.

If you never knew any of this existed, then what are you complaining about regarding the walkthrough? You can't even point the issues out because they don't exist? All events already tell you exactly what you need to do if it is available.
Just an example: next update, add scenes to dungeon, same in cafe, beach, etc. but only for some girls, not the same girls for each location, and then, tell me HOW we can know that these new scenes EXIST... Without redoing all the locations for all girls, obviously.
That's the issue.
That's why having this information clearly shown, and if possible for all girls at the same time, is interesting.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Just an example: next update, add scenes to dungeon, same in cafe, beach, etc. but only for some girls, not the same girls for each location, and then, tell me HOW we can know that these new scenes EXIST... Without redoing all the locations for all girls, obviously.
That's the issue.
That's why having this information clearly shown, and if possible for all girls at the same time, is interesting.
The game is designed to be played from start to finish. Playing a game during an early access/unfinished period, picking off where you last left after the last update, is not how the game is designed to be played. (but I do still make design choices that fit an early access game) That's why patch notes exist. Patch notes are unnecessary for full game releases, because in this case, the devs just advertise the best features, not every little thing added. But since this game has content still being added to it, you would need to check the patch notes each time, for every update. Just like every other early access game.

edit: But I do understand that some players like yourself want a much more streamlined experience without all of the walking around. Mods are great for that. But this is a sandbox game, it inherently has mechanics that you personally don't enjoy, and that's walking around and looking for content to do. Linear visual novels might be more down your alley.

Last edited:

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017

I'm well aware of this problem of "let's unlock gallery and fap"... Not my own case.

Speaking of "Lessons in Love", being STUCK because I never went to the dorms THEN going back home doing nothing - so never triggered a "happy scene" - was particularly annoying, up to near disgust me of the game, to be honest. Thanks to the mod, I got it finally, but I'll need to restart the whole game to solve some other issues. Also, clearly, this game - despite all its qualities - is the typical game that benefits from an ingame walkthrough, in order to NOT be blocked on a girl's path because you followed another girl a bit too much. I play games for fun, not to have problems and headaches - I have a paid work for these particular purposes.

It's not the case in "Harem Hotel": I repeat myself, I don't miss the walkthrough, I miss the INTERFACE of the mod, and what it provides to the game. But I can say whatever I want, if I speak to people who never TRIED it, I won't convince them.
Yeah, meaning all I had to do was go to each door, which honestly didn't take long. As for the part about not wanting to wear out your mouse, if you just want story, then you're looking for a kinetic novel, not a sandbox visual novel. This is a sandbox visual novel.

There's no need to centralize the information, it is all easily accessible as is and centralizing it is just extra work for no gain at this point. All I ever had to do is go into the top right to see how many events are left or if any are left while the game told me what I needed to do next when it wasn't just another talk option.

You are one of not too many, the majority who want things like the mod, generally speaking, are looking for an easy way to get to the content.

There is nothing a walkthrough, in game or not, can tell the player about this game that the game itself doesn't already tell the player. The same goes for Lessons in Love, where I have a perfect run going despite Selebus's antics in what I could sometimes swear is an attempt to make me fail and my playthrough of that game is sudden death, one missed event or peek at a walkthrough or help source of any kind and I go back to the very beginning unless I peeked because of a real world time constraint. Actually, the one time in that game where going too far with one girl blocks content with another boils down to common sense because the girl that gets blocked specifically tells you in game not to get too close to the other one before she gets the chance to try. Harem Hotel has no such issue, though. All girls are accessible regardless of what you do to other girls.

The mod didn't provide anything as far as interface or information that the game doesn't already provide. The mod was helpful in cases where there are alternate paths and I wanted to see them without going through an entire playthrough, namely the sanctuary paths, but that's about it. If I remember correctly, I think it supposedly restored the content for that one removed character that Runey put in for a patron, but don't quote me on that because I stopped using the mod before she was removed from the game.

I thought I was clear enough... Obviously not. Informations aren't centralized currently ingame, they are with the mod, I suggest to make something similar natively - without mod - so that it won't be mandatory to "patrol", like alex2011 said it, to knew what to do.

That's the issue.
Patrolling isn't even really necessary now that the icons are added to the new day screen. As soon as you see a fully colored face, there's a new event with that character. I just do it out of habit at this point because I've been playing for so long using the patrol method.

God I hope Lain comes back.....
I hope I'm wrong, but it seems unlikely. She's been radio silent since the end of October. It would be a shame if I was right because she does some amazing work.

Uthuriel

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 26, 2021
I hope I'm wrong, but it seems unlikely. She's been radio silent since the end of October. It would be a shame if I was right because she does some amazing work.
Yeah I hope so too... would be nice if she would return.... HH doesn't feel the same without her mod... at least for me....

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Lysergic

Aug 18, 2018
Yeah I hope so too... would be nice if she would return.... HH doesn't feel the same without her mod... at least for me....

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Yeah, with a little bit of added hand-holding this is one of the best projects you can find on this site. As a pure sandbox... well it's less than ideal.

Reactions: Uthuriel

Corvus Belli

Nov 25, 2017
There already exists a way for you to know if you've done an exhibitionism event. This may not be the case for every exhibitionism event, but if that's not the case, it will soon be fixed. Regardless, you can check Kali's exhibitionism code now. All options you can't do are greyed out, and they are greyed out because you haven't done the last option. If all options are available, you have done all the options.
Yes, that's all accurate (obviously), but I think what the person you're replying to is saying is that it's not a very efficient way to check.
Let's say I'm in the MC's Room, and want to check which Exhibitionism content I've finished for all the girls. In your current system, I have to click on the door, click on 1st floor, click on enter the room, click to remove the text box and enter the room, click on Lin, click to remove the text box, click on "Let's get coffee", click five times to remove the text boxes, click on "something lewd", I then realise I've done everything there, I click "back", then I click "cookies", then click five times to remove the text boxes, and return to the Hotel. That's twenty clicks, I've used up a full time slot on that day, and I've only checked one girl. I'd use almost three full days to check them all (three a day for the first two days, then two time slots on day three), and I've had to click about 160 times, give or take.
In the system from the mod the other guy mentioned, I'd have to click "mod", then "other", then "exhibitionism", then the eight girls' names, for a total of 11 clicks. It'd take about thirty seconds, and wouldn't skip time forward at all. It is indisputably a faster, more efficient way to check if I've completed all the content.

Obviously, you don't need to do as he's suggesting, but what he's saying is "I'd like a quick, at-a-glance method of knowing if I've finished all of a particular type of content" and your reply is "take the time to go through each girls options over multiple in-game days, and you can find out that way" and you're presenting that as an equally efficient option, but it's not.

Last edited:

Shadesishere

Modder
Dec 5, 2020
If Runey reads this, can I suggest a slight QoL improvement? right now, with the current UI, theres some free space to either side of the top display, could I suggest adding the event available heads from transition to either side? amount of times I've missed it and scrolled back is a bit of pain

Untitled.jpg
Just an example I copy and pasted together. could have main girls on one side and side girls on other, could even make it so clicking a head takes straight to characters status screen

Reactions: Runey

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
Runey, I was someone who used the mod when it was available, and while I don't particularly agree with a lot of the complaints — it's a much slower game requiring a lot more experimental clicking around without it, but that's not such a big deal — one particular enhancement was not only quite useful, but saved me from having to go back and replay things to experience content that was offered but not actually deliverable.

There was a beach event — I don't remember with who; probably Maria, but maybe Kali — in which I was able to request a certain action, but couldn't actually experience it because my affection and/or exhibitionism weren't high enough. Which wouldn't have been such an annoyance if the message telling me that wasn't was well past the rollback limit, but it was. Which also meant that I had to go back to my second most recent save...and since I was playing as if content would fall naturally into the stat system, which is my default assumption while playing HH, I had to replay almost two full weeks.

I "solved" this by stopping the story and accumulating all available stats until they couldn't possibly hide a scene. That took...I want to say somewhere between five and twenty hours? I didn't actually time it. I wouldn't call that process enjoyable. But one feature the mod included, and there's a screenshot of it somewhere above, was revealing that "beach event 3 for Maria" required X exhibition points, which I didn't yet have. If I'd known that, I wouldn't have been caught by the stat gate.

That sort of functionality doesn't diminish the gameplay — I still have to accumulate the necessary points if I want the scene — but it stops me from being caught out by a stat gate I had no other way of knowing about. And I didn't; there was no indication of which stat (or both) I needed to raise, nor what the threshold was, until the game denied me the ending of the scene. Honestly, I still don't know which stat I needed to raise. I just replayed until whichever character was maxed out by any reasonable standard, and then I went back to the beach.

I don't need giant flashing arrows pointing me to the next crucial scene; the doors aren't hard to click on, and occasionally poking around the hotel can be fun. But this, to me, seems like an actual gameplay flaw. It doesn't need the mod to be improved, though; it could just be fixed by not letting me get to a scene that Character X will say she's up for and then decide that she won't do long after I can rollback.

(And yes, I understand that you wish I could remember which scene it was so I could fix it. Sorry, it was a long time ago. Searching for something akin to "she probably would've done it if her affection/exhibition stats were high enough" might ferret it out.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisblade and Runey

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
I never knew all these issues existed, I just click the 'i' and see what stats I need to work on. Maybe it's because I'm not bothered which exhib events I do, they all seem to add up regardless. :)

I've never done the riddles either, not sure if that'll come back to bite me at some point. So far so good. A kitchen link on the door menu wouldn't be a bad thing tbh.

Deleted member 4298851

Oct 27, 2021
I think that making sure Lin gets her daily headpats is just as important as having her give you her panties and never giving them back.
You know something? I never did that! I always felt bad about that. I always wondered, when Droid ("Miyu") short circuits the hotel lights and Lin trips, I guess she'd be exposed to Kali & Ashley.

Although, by that time in the story, they've sampled each other anyway. :LOL:

Last edited:
4.70 star(s) 449 Votes