ThaDude1977

Jul 5, 2022
No comment on most of this... but I will correct a bit towards the end. Runey has stated multiple times that this game is about the girls and not the MC. The MC is just a lense to view the story through, but the game is about the main girls.
Well if that's the case why not put that in the overview? Or heck make it a female protag. Why have a mc in the first place? or maybe in developer notes. If that's really the case the overview doesn't make sense. Oh well most of what i said is not about this game really i was just explaining why people Holler NTR and the reasoning behind it and gave some examples.

shadowtempered

Aug 22, 2020
Well if that's the case why not put that in the overview? Or heck make it a female protag. Why have a mc in the first place? or maybe in developer notes. If that's really the case the overview doesn't make sense. Oh well most of what i said is not about this game really i was just explaining why people Holler NTR and the reasoning behind it and gave some examples.
I can't comment directly on his thoughts since I never saw him mention that, but from my own perspective: the MC is the catalyst for much, if not all in some cases, of the changes the girls go through. Either by providing the support, encouragement, money or backbone he's the lynch pin for much of everything (and likely much more). The game I'm sure has grown from what was originally planned in some aspects, so just tossing the MC out to the curb after all this time would require significant changes to the story that currently exists.

While I'm not sure on the context of "the game being about the girls and not the MC", he is still a very valuable element and contributes to each girl's story.

Why are you people talking about NT again.... :FacePalm:
Even better is the person who restarted this conversation responded and quoted a message from 2019. It wasn't even relavent to the last few pages of conversation (unless I missed something).

Rome5555555

May 4, 2017
Thank you. There have been lots of games on here that I've either just walked away from and not said anything else about, or that I find myself just fast forwarding through certain scenes because they aren't my thing.
Maybe it's better to just enjoy the game and everyone will be happy?

Reactions: 北方玄武

TwoSeven13

Sep 24, 2022
I like the open sandbox world aspect where you decide what you can do and when you can do it. Traveling, exploring, fucking etc. :)
Thats the big draw for me as well. It makes a HUGE difference in my enjoyment. The setup of this game is really good in that way. If all of the scenes and characters were the same but it was a one directional VN, I would have given up early on.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Well if that's the case why not put that in the overview? Or heck make it a female protag. Why have a mc in the first place? or maybe in developer notes. If that's really the case the overview doesn't make sense.
It's not in the overview because it wouldn't fit there at all. Actually I think many of your questions here are easily answered given some thought.

The player character is the one you control, but he is not the hero or protagonist. Not that I would do it, but the player character could die and the story could easily go on. It couldn't start, but it could eventually go on.

He's meant to be a normal (horny) guy with the ability to do normal things. It's your rare encouragement and support to these women that inspire them to do things. It was my goal to make the reader emotionally attached to each female protagonist, not the player's character, because Harem Hotel is about these main female characters that some people might be able to connect to.

I can't comment directly on his thoughts since I never saw him mention that, but from my own perspective: the MC is the catalyst for much, if not all in some cases, of the changes the girls go through. Either by providing the support, encouragement, money or backbone he's the lynch pin for much of everything (and likely much more). The game I'm sure has grown from what was originally planned in some aspects, so just tossing the MC out to the curb after all this time would require significant changes to the story that currently exists.

While I'm not sure on the context of "the game being about the girls and not the MC", he is still a very valuable element and contributes to each girl's story.
This story wouldn't have happened without MC, it starts with him and his hotel. If he weren't as supportive, the women wouldn't all stick around, and the harem wouldn't have happened, etc etc. It's his ability to support that makes him special I suppose. I mean he is able to consistently take care of 8 girlfriends needs and inspire them to do great things. He doesn't have any issues, he's the perfect person for this society actually. If his story is anything, it's one happening in the background.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Thats the big draw for me as well. It makes a HUGE difference in my enjoyment. The setup of this game is really good in that way. If all of the scenes and characters were the same but it was a one directional VN, I would have given up early on.
I actually consider HH a visual novel with sandbox elements in it, but primarily a visual novel since that's where the bulk of the content is. Or maybe it's more of a mix of the two. Because there is an overarching story, and it's likely that all main characters will converge into one plot point eventually. But the freedom to move around and start story when you want is also important.

Uthuriel

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 26, 2021
I actually consider HH a visual novel with sandbox elements in it, but primarily a visual novel since that's where the bulk of the content is. Or maybe it's more of a mix of the two. Because there is an overarching story, and it's likely that all main characters will converge into one plot point eventually. But the freedom to move around and start story when you want is also important.
Harem Hotel is the only game with sandbox that I've played so far where the sandbox is good and not distracting from the story.
I have no idea how so many dev fuck it up but you didn't. Here it's good.

Harem Hotel has both. Amazing story and lore and good game design.
You can really pat yourself on the shoulder, you did really good.

北方玄武

Sep 11, 2017
Harem Hotel is the only game with sandbox that I've played so far where the sandbox is good and not distracting from the story.
I have no idea how so many dev fuck it up but you didn't. Here it's good.

Harem Hotel has both. Amazing story and lore and good game design.
You can really pat yourself on the shoulder, you did really good.
Yep, always love to return to the hotel like a bar and enjoy my fair share of storytelling, interesting characters and good looking girls ;)

Reactions: Uthuriel

Perniciousducks

Aug 21, 2018
it's actually pretty obvious if you think about it. The MC is just a way to insert the intended male audience into the girl's stories. He's a faceless placeholder with very little story or plot. He has a setup, he's from the capitol and his relative died and left him a hotel. He's got a sister who's name we don't even know. Beyond that does he have any story at all other than what he experiences with the girls. He barely talks, I don't think we ever see internal thoughts from him like the girls. He's just there for players to see the story.

As far as the overview, I think it's good enough and as far as a female protag, that doesn't accomplish what having a male MC insert does.

Edit: Oh, Runey answered, well, there you go.

TwoSeven13

Sep 24, 2022
I really, really like the way that you've done it. It allows the player to experience everything on their own time, and to mess around as much as they like in between. Plus the ability to level up the girls, so to speak, progress towards unlocking new content, ect. You've really nailed the sweet spot, and this is how I would ideally like most games to be set up.

4.70 star(s) 450 Votes