WigglyWorld84

Aug 14, 2021
Looks like the name of Runeys game raised your expectations for a Hotel Simulator or in this case you were expecting a brother simulator.
The game is lacking incest ;)

Does your auto-correct have an issue with the word, brothel? Cuz you typed, "brother" like 3+ times in that message... maybe I am just confused.

Perniciousducks

Aug 21, 2018
I'm sorry, I'm not really good at English. It's not my native language. Sometimes I find my words aggressive because of the lack of my vocabulary. I have no problem at reading tho. Thank you for pointing it out.
If you are good at reading, I suggest writing out whatever it is you're trying to say... then reading it again and using that understanding of reading that you claim to have to then revise what you're trying to say so people can understand it. Repeat that process until whatever it is makes sense, because it hasn't yet.

Delighted12

Oct 28, 2018
If you are good at reading, I suggest writing out whatever it is you're trying to say... then reading it again and using that understanding of reading that you claim to have to then revise what you're trying to say so people can understand it. Repeat that process until whatever it is makes sense, because it hasn't yet.
I'll keep that in mind!

Korok85

Aug 21, 2021
The game is lacking incest ;)

Does your auto-correct have an issue with the word, brothel? Cuz you typed, "brother" like 3+ times in that message... maybe I am just confused.
Thanks for pointing that out. English is not my native language, so if I write a bigger text I write it in Word so my spelling is at least checked. I have no idea why it “corrected” it like that … and I did not notice.

lecture

Dec 22, 2019
How far are we though the HH story? Have you given thought to a project after this?

Best writing on this site, IMO

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
How far are we though the HH story? Have you given thought to a project after this?

Best writing on this site, IMO
If I had to guess, we are maybe 65% through the story, but that's very hard to guess. I only have a destination, we'll get there when we get there.

I already have many concepts for a Harem Hotel 2, which would take place maybe 100+ years after HH1.

biohazardinc

Feb 10, 2018
If I had to guess, we are maybe 65% through the story, but that's very hard to guess. I only have a destination, we'll get there when we get there.

I already have many concepts for a Harem Hotel 2, which would take place maybe 100+ years after HH1.
Any possibility of an option for a female mc when that rolls around? Would be hype, but understandable if you don't wanna make potentially 2x the scenes. Still enjoy this game as is. :)

Swifthand

Aug 4, 2019

How long do you assume will it be until HH1 is 100% story complete?

Also thank you for you hard work so far. This is one of my 3 most replayed H-Games, and of those 3 its the best overall tbh

lnomsim

Sep 12, 2021
How do you complain about pacing in a sandbox game? :unsure:
I love the game, and I respect Runey, but the game definitely has pacing issues.
In my playthrough, I had to grind for almost 100 days to make the story progress.
Maybe I did something wrong, but the grind was real.

I think the problem is how the money and upgrades systems work.

Lin asks us very soon to build the garden, which I did.
But the garden becomes relevant only very far in the story.

Actually, the very first upgrade should be the bar. I know this now.
But I played the game without any knowledge about anything and bought upgrades in a way I thought would make sense.

I am told the bar requires a huge investment=>Wait for the bar to become a requirement
Lin asks me to build the garden=>Build the garden
All rooms are occupied and I'm playing a game called "hotel manager"=>build more rooms to get more tenants

But the way the game is supposed to be played is to build and fully upgrade the bar=>build the dungeon=>build more rooms=>build the sanctuary=>free slaves=>build the garden.

And honestly, at the time, I didn't know the game was that story-focused and didn't know either the tenants were here to stay without any clientele rotation. (and a lot of them would end up not paying rent)

Can we please stop this? I could correct everything you got wrong, like that story also mentioning that elves don't remember everything when they're nearly toddlers... as Lin was when their parents
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Wait, what? Isn't this a major spoiler? I thought we didn't know what happened to them?

Last edited:

PervyParadox

Apr 26, 2022
If you guys don't like grinding money, just use the cheat honestly. That's litterally the first thing I did even before meeting Kali at the beginning. I have no issue "grinding" character variables myself, and HH has a lot of this for each girls, but grinding money annoys me in every game, VN / Sandbox or not. I just haven't bought everything straight up to keep my "story" more or less consistent but at least money was not affecting the pace at all and I could freely decide when buying something would make the most sense instead of waiting for the bar to get me enough money or whatever.

And to keep suspension of disbelief, I tell myself that it's more logical to be someone who had at least some fund in his pocket before coming to manage the hotel, instead of being a dude who just appears in the world with no possession except the clothes on his back.

Reactions: Lolicon Kami

evildirex

Jul 18, 2020
If you guys don't like grinding money, just use the cheat honestly. That's litterally the first thing I did even before meeting Kali at the beginning. I have no issue "grinding" character variables myself, and HH has a lot of this for each girls, but grinding money annoys me in every game, VN / Sandbox or not. I just haven't bought everything straight up to keep my "story" more or less consistent but at least money was not affecting the pace at all and I could freely decide when buying something would make the most sense instead of waiting for the bar to get me enough money or whatever.

And to keep suspension of disbelief, I tell myself that it's more logical to be someone who had at least some fund in his pocket before coming to manage the hotel, instead of being a dude who just appears in the world with no possession except the clothes on his back.
Money was never the problem for me, and I kinda buy almost everything.

Reactions: TheDevian

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
I love the game, and I respect Runey, but the game definitely has pacing issues.
In my playthrough, I had to grind for almost 100 days to make the story progress.
Maybe I did something wrong, but the grind was real.

I think the problem is how the money and upgrades systems work.

Lin asks us very soon to build the garden, which I did.
But the garden becomes relevant only very far in the story.

Actually, the very first upgrade should be the bar. I know this now.
But I played the game without any knowledge about anything and bought upgrades in a way I thought would make sense.

I am told the bar requires a huge investment=>Wait for the bar to become a requirement
Lin asks me to build the garden=>Build the garden
All rooms are occupied and I'm playing a game called "hotel manager"=>build more rooms to get more tenants

But the way the game is supposed to be played is to build and fully upgrade the bar=>build the dungeon=>build more rooms=>build the sanctuary=>free slaves=>build the garden.

And honestly, at the time, I didn't know the game was that story-focused and didn't know either the tenants were here to stay without any clientele rotation. (and a lot of them would end up not paying rent)
This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone having money issues so bad, so that's a silver lining I suppose.
The way in which you buy things is up to you but the bar is the most profitable thing. Ellen will tell you this when you ask her how to make more money now so that should solve one part of the issue.
But I've also added Explore events in v0.16, which are short events where you can possibly get extra money early in the game. There's even a new active way to make money by delivering alcohol, and I plan to increase the money you get from pinups. Hopefully that will help the other issue.

But Harem Hotel is a visual novel, so that would probably hint that this is a story focused game.

Wait, what? Isn't this a major spoiler?
Or is it?

This is why 95% of your money is passive, you're not supposed to work for all of your money in this story driven game, but you're also not meant to have everything ASAP. There shouldn't be any moment that you're strapped for cash so bad that you need to cheat. Totally cool if that's how you want to play, but as a dev, I make sure that grinding is non-existent and fun is the goal.

lnomsim

Sep 12, 2021
But Harem Hotel is a visual novel, so that would probably hint that this is a story focused game.
Yeah, I know that now.
But take trainer games, most (or at least a lot) of them run on Ren'Py, even secret cafe does, and they all have some elements of gameplay, even if the story is still relevant.

When I go blind into something, I don't really know what to expect.
But what I said wasn't against the game, I probably did something wrong (well, I definitely did in terms of prioritizing the upgrades), I was mostly answering the person saying it was impossible to grind a sandbox game.

And honestly, the problem wasn't so much with the grind, there are plenty of activities to do, there is the "training" to fill the girls' bar, the date activity for each girl had a lot of different lines of dialogue, etc...

The issue was mostly with the fact that during those 100 days, the story didn't progress at all (main and girls' stories), and suddenly when I unlocked the requirement that was bottlenecking everything, I got flooded with event after event.

I can't give more details though, unfortunately, that was too long ago.

Mar 6, 2021
Harem Hotel? Grind? Woah-woah-woah-woah...
As I remember, in my playthrough (damn, it was 11 months ago) I had to gring for 2 weeks in row max. Moreover, the game allows you to have negative balance without any problems. I remember how I was scared when Android broke her arm. And you have Ellen — infinite moneybag

Reactions: TheDevian and c3p0

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
As far as money issues are concerned I had a somewhat similar experience on my first playthrough in that money was tight up until you get the big gift from you know who. But that was back 4-5 versions ago. I tried to go through the game again in versions 1.14 a while back when that came out and catalogue all my expenses and profits in a ledger and found the income curve to have been significantly flattened for the better. I have no exact idea how and why but I just newer felt a money crunch into my 2nd playthrough like I did in the 1st even though I didn't make any steps to save money or rush the bar. You can find my excel spreadsheet uploaded to this thread a while back IIRC.

So that is something to consider.

4.70 star(s) 450 Votes