Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
So I started playing this game in version 3.2, became a patreon back then and still am. Gave a review of this game months ago in this thread and i must say i still absolutely love this game, and besides for LaS it still remains my favorite. You're story lines with all the characters are amazing, the player actually feels like they have personality and can almost feel emotions over these fictional characters. That being said after playing this for 5 hours straight today to play all the new content (it was my day off dont judge) i still love everything you are doing but i will say the cliff hanger with how
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Whoever just stumbled upon this game don't hesitate to download it. It will probably be in developments for much more time to come but it is currently one of the best games on F95 in my opinion and the scenes alone are worth it. The story and character development are just the icing on the cake. 9.5/10
Thank you so much!

Yeah, Ashley, and other characters, will all go down a sad path they will get over. Life is a road with twists and bumps after all. The goal here is to get you even more attached to them as you experience some of the hardest parts of their lives, and watch them grow out of it. I have a big event planned for Ashley in v0.6

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Is there a compressed version 2+ GB is a bit much.

D

Deleted member 59977

Thank you so much!

Yeah, Ashley, and other characters, will all go down a sad path they will get over. Life is a road with twists and bumps after all. The goal here is to get you even more attached to them as you experience some of the hardest parts of their lives, and watch them grow out of it. I have a big event planned for Ashley in v0.6
I saw somewhere on the patreon page you had said that 0.6 was going to focus on the side characters (I dont remember which post exactly) have your plans changed? is it going to be an update that focuses on the main characters?

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
Man, I looked at the updates page and saw Harem Hotel, then I looked at the version number and cried inside a little. Sometimes I wish I could stick Devs in Dragonball's Time Chamber, so there'd be a full game 1 day later. ^_^

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Is there a compressed version 2+ GB is a bit much.
I hope there's a compressed version :confused:
& TY for the update :)
The game is already compressed a lot, without the compression, the game would probably be around 10GB in size. There's over 8,000 pictures after all. However, it can still get lower, you're just going to have to deal with incredibly bad image quality.

do the new update work as well with old save?
Old saves always work on new versions.

I saw somewhere on the patreon page you had said that 0.6 was going to focus on the side characters (I dont remember which post exactly) have your plans changed? is it going to be an update that focuses on the main characters?
Nothing has changed. The plan for v0.6 has always been focus on side stuff which likely means less focus on main characters, such as only giving them 1 story event instead of 2.

D

Deleted member 59977

Nothing has changed. The plan for v0.6 has always been focus on side stuff which likely means less focus on main characters, such as only giving them 1 story event instead of 2.
Thank you for clarifying. I am looking forward to the update. The side characters need more love.

Reactions: Runey

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
The game is already compressed a lot, without the compression, the game would probably be around 10GB in size. There's over 8,000 pictures after all. However, it can still get lower, you're just going to have to deal with incredibly bad image quality..

Honestly, I played 0.4, I've seen nothing that justifies the size, and I got all content that was there.
No idea if you just have a lot of completely unnecessary pics or if your idea of what compression means and mine differ a lot, but I see a lot of better looking games with at least as much content that can be compressed to a lot under 2.2 GB

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Honestly, I played 0.4, I've seen nothing that justifies the size, and I got all content that was there.
No idea if you just have a lot of completely unnecessary pics or if your idea of what compression means and mine differ a lot, but I see a lot of better looking games with at least as much content that can be compressed to a lot under 2.2 GB
Keep in mind one 1920x1080 picture is the same as another 1920x1080 picture regardless of what's on it (Of course, I don't mean just one color, that would be very different. I just mean your average 1920x1080 picture). So one image could be drawn by a 3 year old, and another by a very talented artist, and the file size is going to be very close to each other.

What I mean by this is, Honey Select isn't the most graphically stunning engine out there. With a lot of work, Daz can look bloody amazing. But in the end, they're just 1920x1080 pictures that are going to have roughly the same file size.

I convert my images from .jpg's to .webps... .png's are roughly 75% bigger than webp's. Webp does some magic that lessens the quality of the picture, but I'm able to control how deep it goes, and I lessen the quality just enough to where its barely noticeable.

v0.4 had about 5,000 pictures. File size: 1.76GB
v0.5 has over 8,000 pictures. File size: 2.44GB

One event alone in v0.5 has over 500 pictures alone.

Each animation is 21 pictures, more or less. Combine that with about 3 - 5 outfits and you get about 84 pictures per animation. Combine that with the over 50 animations, and that's over 4,200 pictures.

I don't know if videos would lower the file size over frames, but I do know videos tend to look a lot worse than the rest of the game, at least in renpy/honey select games I've played with videos. And I definitely don't want to lower the quality of the images in Harem Hotel.

I don't understand what the issue is about a game being 2gigs. The longest it's going to take anyone is like 4 hours to download at incredibly bad speeds. And more content is better in my book.

edit: I just did some testing, and without webp's and only .jpg's, the game size would be roughly 6GB. And with only .png's, Harem Hotel would be roughly 36GB

bkvodycb

Mar 9, 2017
It would probably be a big save for space if you switched to transparent overlays.

For example acafeall1 through to acafeall7 all have the same/similar background.
This could be split into a background image, and several transparent overlays.
The overlays would only contain pixels that are different, i.e. the characters and their shadows. Image compression algorithms *love* solid blocks of color/transparency.

Similarly all the animations would benefit from either the above, or being stored/loaded in a format with built in inter-frame compression.

Having said all that, it's almost certainly not as simple as it sounds, especially now there are some 8000+ pictures that would need conversion, and 50,000+ lines of code would need updating to reflect the design change (though Renpy's "Layered Images" would help with that)

Edit: Runey, your reply didn't exist when I was typing this!

Ji-yeon

Dec 30, 2018
How to fix App not Installed problem? I checked on CatLog it shows Error Code -11 I have 9GB of Space on my Device I tried to install other apps it installed. Only Harem Hotel shows not installed.

bkvodycb

Mar 9, 2017
Oh, another solution would be switching to a packaging style that allows patching. If each update is 10s or 100s of MB, that's currently 2GB+ that hasn't changed, and just doesn't need to be downloaded again.

4.70 star(s) 450 Votes