Oct 5, 2017
If we want to play the show-off game then the following is shorter:

Python:
lst={k_ex:'Kali',a_ex:'Ashley',l_ex:'Lin'}
if max(lst) >= 3:
    print 'twas', lst.get(max(lst))
else:
    print 'git gud, no exhibition training to speak of'
What did we prove with our posts? Nothing. Runey's time is better spent on writing than in coming up with ways to achieve a minor feature like this.
It's not about showing off, it's about showing someone who is by his own admission not a great coder how to do something that could improve his game. If you know how to do something, and someone seems to think it's way harder than it really is, why wouldn't you share that knowledge with them?
(Incidentally, forgive my ignorance of python, but would that way actually work? Don't the keys of a map have to be unique?)
Huh? Did you read what I said? The game's story is missing most of that, which is why I assume people believe that. You're being told something that hasn't been shown in game. Yes, he's a snob, and pompous, and a bully. But he also doesn't treat Elves like trash, he treats them as tools.
Yes, I do read what you write. Whenever anyone complains about him, rather than admit that people might not want to associate with him, you try to defend him! It's sick, and it spoils the whole rest of the game. (That's not hyperbole, by the way; when I'm looking for a game to play, I think of being forced to interact with him, and it puts me off playing HH, even though I would be playing another girl's story anyway)

NeroZee

Jun 24, 2018
Dayum, I'm loving what i am seeing. I guess Kali isn't mad about her sister getting the D, in fact she looks amused. Also I love how Lin looks in that second picture, black mascara and red(or maybe it's orange) lipstick will get me every time.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
It's not about showing off, it's about showing someone who is by his own admission not a great coder how to do something that could improve his game. If you know how to do something, and someone seems to think it's way harder than it really is, why wouldn't you share that knowledge with them?
(Incidentally, forgive my ignorance of python, but would that way actually work? Don't the keys of a map have to be unique?)

Yes, I do read what you write. Whenever anyone complains about him, rather than admit that people might not want to associate with him, you try to defend him! It's sick, and it spoils the whole rest of the game. (That's not hyperbole, by the way; when I'm looking for a game to play, I think of being forced to interact with him, and it puts me off playing HH, even though I would be playing another girl's story anyway)
Someone mentioned he was an evil man, I informed him on things that aren't known, those being he is open minded and wants to help Elves.

You can draw your own conclusions, but I mean what I say, and I say only what I mean. I'm not saying he's a great guy, I'm saying he's not pure evil incarnate.

edit: Going back to the Hitler connection, if we were to compare what I'm saying to what he has done it would be this: "Yes, Hitler was a bad man. And he liked puppies." Which is basically the Hitler version of "Yes, Cornwall is a bad man. But he helps Elves." I am not defending either of them, just simply informing people that there is lore that isn't included in the game yet, which is why I brought it up. In no way am I saying "Yeah, Hitler was a bad guy... BUT he loved puppies!" I'm not defending anyone here. Again, I'm just detailing things that people had no way of knowing.

Cornwall himself may not play as big of a part in Lin's story as you may be worrying about. But he is a big part of the narrative. In other words, things are happening, and now you know who is the cause. Cornwall will likely not be a character that reoccurs as often as you might think.

Seems Maria is working as a waitress now? (y)
Spoilers

Someone post the patreon build please! Thanks.
Beta Builds are unfinished, unpolished, buggy versions of the game. Beta Builds do not represent the final version of each game. You're likely to run in to bugs which may ruin your save and force you to start completely over. Since some things aren't finish, this could lead you to believe the game is worse than I intend it to. Beta Builds are not Patreon builds. Beta Builds are there to test the new content, give me feedback, and report bugs. Playing through those Beta Builds would be a very bad experience to the average player.

If any builds are to be leaked (which would make me sad) I would HIGHLY prefer those to be pre release builds. As by then, most of the content is set in stone, and there should be far less game breaking bugs, however those things may still occur. The above reasons are why I dislike and highly recommend against uploading beta builds. Those builds, if shared, paint the game in a very bad light.

WindIsHowling

Aug 5, 2017
Someone mentioned he was an evil man, I informed him on things that aren't known, those being he is open minded and wants to help Elves.

You can draw your own conclusions, but I mean what I say, and I say only what I mean. I'm not saying he's a great guy, I'm saying he's not pure evil incarnate.

Spoilers

Beta Builds are unfinished, unpolished, buggy versions of the game. Beta Builds do not represent the final version of each game. You're likely to run in to bugs which may ruin your save and force you to start completely over. Since some things aren't finish, this could lead you to believe the game is worse than I intend it to. Beta Builds are not Patreon builds. Beta Builds are there to test the new content, give me feedback, and report bugs. Playing through those Beta Builds would be a very bad experience to the average player.
I appreciate that, but most players would be happy to play ahead anyway.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
The code has to be changed a bit, but yes, it would work. It's almost the same example I posted on the last page, but more detailed (showing off eh?^^).
But I'm not really sure what you mean with the keys of a map? Sure they have to be unique, but this code has nothing to do with a map o_O

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I prefer to have a working game. I remember playing a S.L beta and got really frustrated because at some point I got errors over errors and had to skip several story events.

WindIsHowling

Aug 5, 2017

edit: Going back to the Hitler connection, if we were to compare what I'm saying to what he has done it would be this: "Yes, Hitler was a bad man. And he liked puppies." Which is basically the Hitler version of "Yes, Cornwall is a bad man. But he helps Elves." I am not defending either of them, just simply informing people that there is lore that isn't included in the game yet, which is why I brought it up.

Spoilers

If any builds are to be leaked (which would make me sad) I would HIGHLY prefer those to be pre release builds. As by then, most of the content is set in stone, and there should be far less game breaking bugs, however those things may still occur. The above reasons are why I dislike and highly recommend against uploading beta builds. Those builds, if shared, paint the game in a very bad light.
On another note, is there a lot of autumn content in this next update? Would be a shame if she takes months to have any proper content put in.

Reactions: TheDevian

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Looking at it from a business point of view, I would also lose around $1,000 if it was leaked (going off of the last beta build's stats). I'm not here to start a discussion about money though. I would rather lose $1,200 on a Pre Release than $800 on a Beta Build.

People typically look for the highest version of the game and download it right away. If that version is the most recent beta build, people will play it, find out some things aren't finished and or run in to a lot of bugs and think "Wow, this dev is terrible. No content, and all that there is, is bugged to shit" Which is a big fear of mine. That's why beta builds exist, to iron out each version and make everything smooth.

NeroZee

Jun 24, 2018
I give up... anyway we are gonna get a lot of content this update, so looking forward to it.

Time to buy my new slave Jin i guess(that sounded less wrong in my head then as i typed it out).

Reactions: Construct and Runey

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Happen in most threads the "give me the new version" song. So why is there alpha/beta/pre version of a game before the "normal" version of the game itself?

Often SW will be developed with a versioning system (SVN/GIT/...) to help to track changes. The SW is constantly developed and the changes in the SW (aka files) is uploaded back in the versioning system. This versioning system gives a running number to the whole SW of one project in it.
So the first file(s) you check in in your project will have the number 1. Each change you do will increase this number. The versioning system don't regard how small or big a change is and if one or all files are affected. If you upload your changes back in the versioning system it will increase the number by 1.

So the latest SW you develop will always be the one with the highest number and the number increase everytime you upload your files back in the versioning system.

If you compile this (latest) SW the term for this is nightly build. Nightly build can be extremly buggy and could break everthing.

So after you gave your SW progress as much as you like, you will most likely make a alpha with it. So you take the SW with number x (eg. 12762) and name as an alpha (eg. 0.1-alpha1).
With this SW, as ist most only a specific nightly build, you go to your group of alpha testers. How this group is define is entirely your business, but usually its a very small group.
If the alpha1 is good enough you are all happy. Most times bug report and feature request will come in and you trying to apply patch to the alpha1. So with the same versioning system in the back the number incraise again (eg. 12833). If you think all big bugs previous named have been taken care of and thus release alpha2 and the same process will happen again.
In this developing cycle you try to define what feature would like to be in the next major version (eg. 0.1) of your SW.

If you are all happy with the last alphaX for your software, then you step up. You have the latest alpha before you (eg. 13434 or 0.1-alpha4). Most likely you will try to correct the biggest know bugs, so the number will increase again. But you do not add a new feature to it anymore. If you think your "finished" you name the SW beta (eg. 01-beta1) and in the versioning system this has another number again (eg. 13452).
This build/SW you will give now to your group of beta tester. Again, how you manage this group is up to you and usually this group is bigger than the alpha test group. Viewed of the bug aspect her this build can be as bad as an alpha or a nightly build as per definition the focus until now wasn't to make the SW stable.
You will make as much betas as needed before you are happy with the stability of your build.

Now you are quite sure that the most annoying bugs are taken care of it. Before you release your SW to the masses, you want to make sure that it is running as good as it can. So you take your latest beta (eg. 0.1-beta2 or 13677) and add an additional bugfix work on top of it.
With this, mostly stable, SW you go to your next greater groups of tester and released it there as Release Candidate (eg. 0.1-RC1 or 13712). Again you release as much RC as needed.

If you are are happy with the result (eg. don't have any know bugs or there all labled as "OK") then you add an additinal bugfix to your SW and release it to all your all your clients (eg. 0.1 13718)

TL:DR:

Nightly Build <= Alpa <= Beta <= Release candidate <= Release
unstable........................................................................................stable
small audience...................................................................big audience

So if a person is unkow to this cycles then 0.2-alpha1 > 0.1 and will play the alpha and usually all bugs/complains and so on will be reported to the normal thread and not the place where it should be - even a rating on the game based on this alpha could happen and would most likely not be as good as for a normal release.

So in the eve of a dev I see why most don't want to have spread their Nightly Builds, Alphas, Betas or Release Candidates. Not because of their own, but most as the user would not distinguish between this different version and would be mad at the dev for a broken game and demand that he take care of their problems, only because they don't understand this concept and the consequence.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Cornwall himself may not play as big of a part in Lin's story as you may be worrying about. But he is a big part of the narrative. In other words, things are happening, and now you know who is the cause. Cornwall will likely not be a character that reoccurs as often as you might think.
If it really is an isolated incident, and not a harbinger of Lin's story going in an unpleasant direction, then what's wrong with the suggestion (that several others have made now) to make it optional? The big problem is not that he exists, but that the game forces you to interact with him rather than walking away like many of us would like to (and indeed did when that was an option in 0.4). It's inevitable that games will have the player "decide" to do things they wouldn't actually choose to, but when it's something that objectionable it reflects rather poorly on the game.
The code has to be changed a bit, but yes, it would work. It's almost the same example I posted on the last page, but more detailed (showing off eh?^^).
But I'm not really sure what you mean with the keys of a map? Sure they have to be unique, but this code has nothing to do with a map o_O
Isn't it using a map to map each girl's exhibition score to her name? That's what it looks like.

Reactions: Hones

geemergary

Aug 12, 2017
And yes, here's an image of the patch notes so far.

(Note, the bolded words are new content since Beta Build #2, not v0.5)
I'm sure I remember you mentioning that you were working on events for Juliet, though that you were having a lot of trouble writing for her. May I ask to verify that she still has stuff planned? I was really looking forward to playing with her.

Reactions: TheDevian
Sep 4, 2017
4.70 star(s) 450 Votes