Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Nottravis, I have a request. Could you consider changing all 'pause (x)' commands in your scripts to '$renpy.pause(x)'? I don't know how it affects other systems, but in mine (unless I do the changes myself) I see no pauses at all - just jumping from the previous render to the last. It completely eliminates the intended animation. It also skips past your information notices, which I would have missed completely, were I not following along in the scripts. I suspect others have been subjected to the same issue.

I can always continue to modify things by myself, if you find it unwise to accede to my request.

Thank you for this terrific game.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Nottravis, I have a request. Could you consider changing all 'pause (x)' commands in your scripts to '$renpy.pause(x)'? I don't know how it affects other systems, but in mine (unless I do the changes myself) I see no pauses at all - just jumping from the previous render to the last. It completely eliminates the intended animation. It also skips past your information notices, which I would have missed completely, were I not following along in the scripts. I suspect others have been subjected to the same issue.

I can always continue to modify things by myself, if you find it unwise to accede to my request.

Roger that. This is the first time this has been reported and is obviously a bit of a game breaker in terms of the game not looking/working as it should do so I'm grateful for you bringing this up and indeed providing a solution too. *will get the spanking tools out for the testers* Given that I've animated the whole of the bonus Rock, Paper, Scissors for the next release this is damned timely!

It's a simple change and one I'm more than happy to make. You'll forgive me if I do it as part of the chapter Three release as opposed to reworking now *is knee deep in rendering*

Also, you're more than welcome for the game. I'm just glad you enjoy my work. :)

May I ask a quick question myself? You mentioned in another post about running with three paths. I'm curious as to which three you settled on?

Last edited:

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Roger that. This is the first time this has been reported and is obviously a bit of a game breaker in terms of the game not looking/working as it should do so I'm grateful for you bringing this up and indeed providing a solution too. *will get the spanking tools out for the testers* Given that I've animated the whole of the bonus Rock, Paper, Scissors for the next release this is damned timely!

It's a simple change and one I'm more than happy to make. You'll forgive me if I do it as part of the chapter Three release as opposed to reworking now *is knee deep in rendering*

Also, you're more than welcome for the game. I'm just glad you enjoy my work. :)

May I ask a quick question myself? You mentioned in another post about running with three paths. I'm curious as to which three you settled on?
Trying to find out how to tease and pervert him over to other paths? :p

• Haha
Reactions: Oddball2k

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Trying to find out how to tease and pervert him over to other paths? :p
Who me? As if...

*coughs*

Nah, I'm just curious as to which paths people play. With H5 being so non-linear in many ways as a dev you wonder sometimes if anyone will ever actually see certain scenes. I had my doubts anyone would see either the alt-Trisha path or Annie's witches scene for example. I was also surprised at just how popular playing a tabletop RPG with Sarah turned out to be. I thought everyone would go VR tbh.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Who me? As if...

*coughs*

Nah, I'm just curious as to which paths people play. With H5 being so non-linear in many ways as a dev you wonder sometimes if anyone will ever actually see certain scenes. I had my doubts anyone would see either the alt-Trisha path or Annie's witches scene for example. I was also surprised at just how popular playing a tabletop RPG with Sarah turned out to be. I thought everyone would go VR tbh.
As said before you highly underestimate how many people are trying all options still. :) I know you say that will be impossible later on by design, especially since the emotional developments with characters may make it extreme hard to play as their friend, lover, enemy and likely adversary at the same time, but for now and likely remade chapter 3 as well it is still possible.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
I play as a white male. I am not averse to playing as black, and definitely not averse to playing as a female. I do both in many other games. Just thought I'd limit my choices in this game to those that actually reflect me. I also limited myself to the romance paths. When given the choice, I much prefer them to domination/submission or blackmail routes. When things can heat up with other LI's, I suspect I will branch off with romance paths with them too, if they are offered. That should occupy enough of my time, but still allow me to play other games.

I hope you can continue to provide content for all of the various individuals who are attracted to your game. It seems like it will be a daunting task to me, given the expansions you are planning. Many other developers who try diverse paths can only do some of them in each release.

Reactions: Nottravis

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I hope you can continue to provide content for all of the various individuals who are attracted to your game. It seems like it will be a daunting task to me, given the expansions you are planning. Many other developers who try diverse paths can only do some of them in each release.
Thanks. *was curious*

The paths issue isn't as bad as you'd think. Certainly not from a control and plotting perspective and writing the various paths is a sheer joy tbh. I quite like peeking at the alternative universes.

The real problem is render production, especially given how many renders I use for each scene. Drinks with Annie required around 400 renders for all the various paths and options last time around (some of her scenes changed significantly path depending) but I don't think H5 would lend itself to part chapters. The coding extraction would be a nightmare for me for a start and I'd probs balls it up something shocking.

But render production is now purely a hardware issue. I can hit a delivery every three months with what I have for the rest of this year. It's only when the animation needs start to get really heavy I might struggle - but by then, hopefully, I'll be working with more than one machine and one decent card so time could solve that one for me.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018

Hi Walter, have you checked your privil preferences to see if the transitions settings are set to "none"? pause (x) is a transition parameter and it might resolve your issue to set the transition to "normal" or something (I'm not in front of my PC right now, so I can't be more precise)

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheDevian

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
I don't think H5 would lend itself to part chapters. The coding extraction would be a nightmare for me for a start and I'd probs balls it up something shocking.
And it's something that is a poor conduct from the dev IMO. Instead of all players enjoying an update, only those who are pursuing a selected branch do. It takes longer obviously, but your way of complete chapters advancing all paths is the best way to do it. :)

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
And it's something that is a poor conduct from the dev IMO. Instead of all players enjoying an update, only those who are pursuing a selected branch do. It takes longer obviously, but your way of complete chapters advancing all paths is the best way to do it. :)
Well that depends on the dev and whether he will keep development of characters balanced over updates. If they do, you get in the end at same situation as Notty. Unfortunately the temptation and pressure is always there if you do, to develop certain paths first since popular and to unbalance the game with all trouble that gives if want to rebalance it, since then your popular paths need to go on backburner for a long time or those original intended paths will never make it into the game.

Reactions: Akamari

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Hi Walter, have you checked your privil preferences to see if the transitions settings are set to "none"? pause (x) is a transition parameter and it might resolve your issue to set the transition to "normal" or something (I'm not in front of my PC right now, so I can't be more precise)
Walter Victor
Do you have it like this? Not skipping transitions?
I AM skipping transitions. That may be my problem. But, I don't want to unzip everything again to see, or undo my changes. I will test it out on some other game though, when I have time.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
I AM skipping transitions. That may be my problem. But, I don't want to unzip everything again to see, or undo my changes. I will test it out on some other game though, when I have time.
Yes, that is where your issue lies. The game works perfectly fine when transitions are not skipped.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Yes, that is where your issue lies. The game works perfectly fine when transitions are not skipped.
As someone who has decades of programming experience with multiple programming languages, I have to say I consider a function that is supposed to control a SKIP function, also affect a NON-SKIP function is abominable programming. Watching a transition has absolutely nothing to do with skipping or fast-forwarding. I want to be able to fast-forward through transitions, having already seen them once. I have no interest in missing out on them if I haven't seen them yet.

Perhaps if the Preferences screen explained what the hell the effect was of the choices it would mitigate confusion.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
As someone who has decades of programming experience with multiple programming languages, I have to say I consider a function that is supposed to control a SKIP function, also affect a NON-SKIP function is abominable programming. Watching a transition has absolutely nothing to do with skipping or fast-forwarding. I want to be able to fast-forward through transitions, having already seen them once. I have no interest in missing out on them if I haven't seen them yet.

Perhaps if the Preferences screen explained what the hell the effect was of the choices it would mitigate confusion.
That's Renpy for you.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017

Yeah. All this default button does is this...

Code:
 textbutton _("Transitions") action InvertSelected(Preference("transitions", "toggle"))
Not really related to the skip function...

However, from my experience the skip function works through transitions if you leave it off (it doesn't stop with every transition), so to get what you desire simply leave all skip options off. It will skip everything read until the next choice.

Last edited:

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
However, from my experience the skip function works through transitions if you leave it off (it doesn't stop with every transition), so to get what you desire simply leave all skip options off. It will skip everything read until the next choice.
Well, my experience is that if 'Unseen Text' is NOT flagged, it doesn't work for new code that has been added in a previous release, like if you have to restart a game from scratch for whatever reason, or go back to change a choice. Also, if I have seen a transition scene before, I usually want to skip through it. I like to choose which scenes I see multiple times, especially when I have changed a past choice, and need to fast-forward to each of my save points to re-save them. That is the purpose of spamming saves, so you can go back and modify your past choices.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes