johnconnor

Jul 24, 2017
Indeedy! But speaking of games and chapters..

So whilst I'm sat here keeping an eye on the render hamster, I'm also polishing up the scripts for the last chapters. (well it gives me something to do, no?) and this leads to me to a question. An unfair one I know and one perhaps better asked once you've played Chapter Two. But, I'm already thinking broadly about my next project.

The first is a fem protag game about a pirate gal and her adventures, which would be in third person view as opposed to POV. This was originally called the "Sea Witch" but is now named after the character in one of Sarah's books (I was amused by the idea of me having my own shared universe!) so would now be the "Scarlet Pirate" instead.

The other option would be a second season of Heavy Five. It dawned on me that re-reading the ending....well, yeah a second season would be a possibility for sure.

They would need to be some cast changes for sure of course.

Any early thoughts?
Do the pirate game first, so you don't get creative burnout.

johnconnor

Jul 24, 2017
Chaps, thanks.

You all make some very valid points and you have some justifiable concerns. If not handled correctly a sequel could indeed be a disaster...

...but I wouldn't let that happen.

I trust you'll forgive me for not answering point by point (on my phone as the render hamster squeaks away) and quotes etc are a nightmare to do right.

IF, and it is an if, it were to be a sequel it would be the same protag. I say that for although the story doesn't end on a cliffhanger, it does end in a cracking way. I'll be honest and share, the ending popped into my head one day. I suddenly had an image of the very last scene - and that's what made me write the game. Now, this doesn't mean your story is fixed, but the arc is. Your choices do indeed matter. Who you romance, whether the mission is a success, what happens to and on Ophion, indeed whether even everyone even survives (and some you may decide you don't want to...) is all down to you. But your MC is not the only player in this game...

IF it were to be a sequel there would be no hard reset. I have a way to make the choices roll over story wise in a logical way that is actually manageable from a dev point but I'm finding your concerns to be really interesting. This is a superb sense check of will it work, is this what they'd want, which by myself I would be merely guessing or perhaps even missing a trick.

Please do carry on discussing this if you wish - I'm finding it really useful.
It would be interesting to to a time jump from Ophion after Heavy 5. You get a code that indicates which of the dozens of possible endings you got, this starts the game with the next V-Class coming to Ophion to solve problems. But you've got an issue of chaos: outcomes upon outcomes, which could be a total pain in the ass to account for.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
But you've got an issue of chaos: outcomes upon outcomes, which could be a total pain in the ass to account for.
The consequences of the first one can be introduced gradually. The beginning of the second season could be common and seemingly unrelated (e.g. different mission with a different crew) with the impacts of the previous decisions and endings appearing one at a time. Many smaller decisions can be ignored and unused, so I think there is flexibility in limiting how much of the stuff will carry over to the second story.

johnconnor

Jul 24, 2017
Roger that. I think I'm keen on the Scarlet Pirate purely because, damnit, I want my smut too! ;) There are quite a few fem protags which have some nice concepts but never -quite- hit the mark. The rest of course are instant slut/rape games. But I'm getting the feeling that if I did do SP instead of another H5, I'd probs lose what little fanbase I have...So...side project by the looks unless I go full lesbian with it?
After ten months, I'm going to point out the size of your fanbase to you. But if you are concerned with attrition, you could do both and alternate releases each month.

Frosty2000

Nov 16, 2017
Roger that. I think I'm keen on the Scarlet Pirate purely because, damnit, I want my smut too! ;) There are quite a few fem protags which have some nice concepts but never -quite- hit the mark. The rest of course are instant slut/rape games. But I'm getting the feeling that if I did do SP instead of another H5, I'd probs lose what little fanbase I have...So...side project by the looks unless I go full lesbian with it?
As long as the female protagonist would be able to be dominant towards the guys I would be okay with it. ;) Wouldn't play a female who is in any way submissive to men, like I don't play guys who are dominant to women. So options please.^^

But well, that's still a bit far away though, so H5 first.

Reactions: PowerDildos

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
As an idea, you don't technically have to split the games as a "first taste" of the female protag. Sarah could read the book to the MC and it could be a choose your own adventure, with the renders being what happens in the book. Some of the get togethers between the MC and Sarah could be just going through the book, or in a later case VR as the female pirate. Then after H5 is done you do the full story of pirate gal.
*nods nods*
Temptation
(Keep climbing higher and higher)
Temptation
(Adorable creatures)
Temptation
(With unacceptable features)
Temptation
(Trouble is coming)
Temptation
(It's just the high cost of loving)
Temptation
(You can take it or leave it)
Temptation
(But you better believe it)
Btw... Notty the whole neighborhood appreciates that song
Tell me you haven't been playing H17 on a loop? :)

I usually quit games with female MC, just because I can't stand the constant abuse. There just aren't options to be more in control like with male MCs.
Oh Gods aye. Why do you think I want to have a crack at it? :)

Always glad to be good for a laugh. ;)

I like the idea of a sexy female space pirate (especially with long, red, curly hair, come-on, her name is scarlet!), and hey, as long as she is a lesbian or bisexual, the male encounters are optional, and she isn't getting raped at every other turn, then I am so down to play it! With you making it, I don't doubt that it will be a blast.

As long as you avoid a few tropes, I assume most of us would follow you into a black hole itself. I think most of us could be fine with her if she was bi, as long as we stick the the motto!
Aye the name was for a reason ;)

But oddly enough playing as Pirate Chris was sorta in the back of my mind as the concept...
And aye, all content would of course be optional :)

*adores!*

enthusiastically gets the popcorn
*wiggles eyebrows*

The render hamster needs a promotion!
The render hamster is a lazy arse. No grapes for him!

But well, that's still a bit far away though, so H5 first.
Indeed!

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes