Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
A few non-spoiler thoughts on Chapter Two:

Holy shit, do choices ever matter. Based on things that happened in Chapter one, there's at least three different storylines that you may or may not see going in, to say nothing of the variations based on your choices during this chapter. The banter is great, really cementing these people as characters with motives and feelings and depth.

I think there are three-and-a-half lewd scenes. Two are mutually exclusive. I think the half is unavoidable. I'm not certain about the last one, which IMHO is a major unlocking point for future chapter options. *wiggles eyebrows*

I don't have a save with a blackmailed Sarah, so I'll have to run through that one at least again.

I have not found a bad end, which doesn't mean there isn't one.
Thank you for your kind words

And yuuuuuurp. Choices -really- do matter in H5. I honestly do believe that any completionists will have to give that quest up by Chapter Five. It will simply be impractical. Which is by design.

Right now you scamps can run around and, with a bit of effort and saves, see everything . As the choices impact, intersect and contradict each other the further we get through chapters...you won't be able to do it. I say this with some confidence as out of the five people who asked if they could do a walkthrough on Chapter One...not one has so far managed it, which I guess is due to the scale of decision impacts. Imagine another four layers on top of that.

But the main reason it will become impossible is because how the other characters see you is key to unlocking future paths with them - and in some cases with others. So, what? you say.

Well some of the decision trees and paths are obvious. But some are less so and are dependent on other characters. Lets say all the time you've spent with Y and getting in their good books, is directly opposite to what is needed for X and also depends on what Z thinks. And we're not talking about an odd decision. We're talking about those three little stats on the character page which are almost always impacted by every choice you make...to open a branch in Chapter Six could require you to replay all the way from Chapter Two.

So why make it like this? So that as the game progressed your decisions have weight. So that they have meaning. But also to reflect, as best I can, that the girls are real. That they don't forget what happened and that they can, and sometimes do, talk to each other. There will be no raping someone at night and the next morning having breakfast as though nothing had happened in this world thank you.

You'll always be able to reload and poke around of course each chapter - but only to an extent due to the sheer scale of work involved in retrospectively opening paths. BUT I'll -always- play fair with you. You'll never have any forced content. No sudden swings or ambushes. Everything will be there to help you make an informed choice or at the very least signal what's on the way and, for example, if anyone suffers a bad end on Ophion? That will be down to you too. But choices you will have to make. Depending on your path you want, some of those choices could end up being very hard indeed. But not without you being forewarned before you step down that road of course - that's only fair.

Once past Chapter Three you'll have a couple more chapters to roam around, explore, test the waters, do the nasty with people and have some fun. But then?

Then the game -really- starts. :)

Abîme

Sep 27, 2018
Since the game is supposed to have 10 episodes and the quality of renders is constantly improving, do you plan to redo the graphic part of the first episodes if the graphic difference is too important compared to the final episodes?

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Thank you for your kind words

And yuuuuuurp. Choices -really- do matter in H5. I honestly do believe that any completionists will have to give that quest up by Chapter Five. It will simply be impractical. Which is by design.

Right now you scamps can run around and, with a bit of effort and saves, see everything . As the choices impact, intersect and contradict each other the further we get through chapters...you won't be able to do it. I say this with some confidence as out of the five people who asked if they could do a walkthrough on Chapter One...not one has so far managed it, which I guess is due to the scale of decision impacts. Imagine another four layers on top of that.

But the main reason it will become impossible is because how the other characters see you is key to unlocking future paths with them - and in some cases with others. So, what? you say.

Well some of the decision trees and paths are obvious. But some are less so and are dependent on other characters. Lets say all the time you've spent with Y and getting in their good books, is directly opposite to what is needed for X and also depends on what Z thinks. And we're not talking about an odd decision. We're talking about those three little stats on the character page which are almost always impacted by every choice you make...to open a branch in Chapter Six could require you to replay all the way from Chapter Two.

So why make it like this? So that as the game progressed your decisions have weight. So that they have meaning. But also to reflect, as best I can, that the girls are real. That they don't forget what happened and that they can, and sometimes do, talk to each other. There will be no raping someone at night and the next morning having breakfast as though nothing had happened in this world thank you.

You'll always be able to reload and poke around of course each chapter - but only to an extent due to the sheer scale of work involved in retrospectively opening paths. BUT I'll -always- play fair with you. You'll never have any forced content. No sudden swings or ambushes. Everything will be there to help you make an informed choice or at the very least signal what's on the way and, for example, if anyone suffers a bad end on Ophion? That will be down to you too. But choices you will have to make. Depending on your path you want, some of those choices could end up being very hard indeed. But not without you being forewarned before you step down that road of course - that's only fair.

Once past Chapter Three you'll have a couple more chapters to roam around, explore, test the waters, do the nasty with people and have some fun. But then?

Then the game -really- starts. :)
Imokwitthis.png

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
No sudden swings or ambushes. Everything will be there to help you make an informed choice or at the very least signal what's on the way and, for example, if anyone suffers a bad end on Ophion? That will be down to you too.
No ambushes at all? I like the way you do this (makes my MC look smart, until I choose wrong:D), but wouldn't it eliminate the element of surprise too much?

I don't mean sudden random bad ends that would impossible to anticipate, but rather situations where the MC would need to be on his toes and ready to deal with the unexpected.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Since the game is supposed to have 10 episodes and the quality of renders is constantly improving, do you plan to redo the graphic part of the first episodes if the graphic difference is too important compared to the final episodes?
Yeppers. I knew that Chapter 1 and 2 was the best I could do with the rig I had, and was hoping that my rig would get better as time went on.

I've done some super renders for myself when I was learning but they took six hours to do....which with over 400 renders per chapter was a non starter for that level of quality.

But its actually in my design plan on my patron page. Ten months, ten chapters. Then, whilst scripting my next game, using those two months to remaster earlier graphics and add a fem MC option. It also means instead of patrons seeing nothing in between games, they are still receiving some form of output.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
No ambushes at all? I like the way you do this (makes my MC look smart, until I choose wrong:D), but wouldn't it eliminate the element of surprise too much?

I don't mean sudden random bad ends that would impossible to anticipate, but rather situations where the MC would need to be on his toes and ready to deal with the unexpected.
Within the confines of the story everything will be foreshadowed or have information available.

You may well go "Fuck! That's what that meant!" and indeed be caught out. But you will never go "Where the fuck did that come from?!" A subtle difference perhaps but an important one I feel.

Abîme

Sep 27, 2018
Yeppers. I knew that Chapter 1 and 2 was the best I could do with the rig I had, and was hoping that my rig would get better as time went on.

I've done some super renders for myself when I was learning but they took six hours to do....which with over 400 renders per chapter was a non starter for that level of quality.

But its actually in my design plan on my patron page. Ten months, ten chapters. Then, whilst scripting my next game, using those two months to remaster earlier graphics and add a fem MC option. It also means instead of patrons seeing nothing in between games, they are still receiving some form of output.
Ok, it's good to know and I think it's a good way to proceed,
Sometimes the graphic inequality between the beginning and the end of a title can be a brake for some players.:)

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Within the confines of the story everything will be foreshadowed or have information available.

You may well go "Fuck! That's what that meant!" and indeed be caught out. But you will never go "Where the fuck did that come from?!" A subtle difference perhaps but an important one I feel.
I have little doubt that there will be moments where I'll be caught unaware, and then I'll realise I missed the cue. We'll see, I kinda like things that are out of control happening out of the blue, but I understand your view on this.:)

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
I say this with some confidence as out of the five people who asked if they could do a walkthrough on Chapter One...not one has so far managed it, which I guess is due to the scale of decision impacts. Imagine another four layers on top of that.
I think it is illusory to try writing a walkthrough until the last chapter is out, but by then? You'll have so many fans that someone is bound to have made one of those strings and pictures things on the wall that can be seen on detective TV shows :D
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I have little doubt that there will be moments where I'll be caught unaware, and then I'll realise I missed the cue. We'll see, I kinda like things that are out of control happening out of the blue, but I understand your view on this.:)
I suppose perhaps a little acid test might be how many times you've been surprised in the first two chapters and whether you felt, if there were any occasions that is, that they were unfair or not foreshadowed?

Edit. By that I mean I can still surprise you - But fairly.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
I suppose perhaps a little acid test might be how many times you've been surprised in the first two chapters and whether you felt, if there were any occasions that is, that they were unfair or not foreshadowed?

Edit. By that I mean I can still surprise you - But fairly.
Honestly, it depends. I can only talk about chapter 1.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Honestly, it depends. I can only talk about chapter 1.
Annie's Character sheet should/would have been flagging "probably reading how to frag an officer ". Although the Chapt One bad end was a marker for the future more than anything else. I'd rather players be aware that things can go badly early on than find out too far down the path.

As to how many they've murdered...That depends on your viewpoint.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes