WaltS

Si vis pacem para bellum
Donor
Apr 4, 2018
We are lieutenants, that's not a very impressive rank for something of that magnitude. [...]
Also not very impressive for someone his age and w/ his experience. Granted he started his career as a grunt (so NCO I guess) being an LT (or even 1LT) is kinda low on the ladder... I mean we're not talking a CPT scenario here where each separate branch can choose what kind of CPT/CAPT it is...

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Also not very impressive for someone his age and w/ his experience. Granted he started his career as a grunt (so NCO I guess) being an LT (or even 1LT) is kinda low on the ladder... I mean we're not talking a CPT scenario here where each separate branch can choose what kind of CPT/CAPT it is...
I think we should request a complete list of ranks.:)

WaltS

Si vis pacem para bellum
Donor
Apr 4, 2018
I think we should request a complete list of ranks.:)
As this obviously is modeled on the modern US/NATO style rank system as an LT he either fucked up majorly and has been demoted at least once or something kept him from being promoted. (Which deviates somewhat from our system of 'Up or Out'). But I digress...

Making him a Captain rank officer would at least leave us with the ambiguity of his real rank - (Army) Captain (O-3) or Navy Captain (= Bird Colonel, O-6). That way we could have some fun guessing his background :p

Reactions: Nottravis

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
14 atomic batteries, one is enough to power a small building for a year. Not sure how large the base is, nor how large a "small building" is.

Also weird magic metal.

If I hear ke ke ke ke, I will assume the zerg ate the power cables again.

Reactions: Nottravis

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Could be but w/ @Nottravis use of US mil lingo ('Vanguard Actual' anyone?) I'd bet money on US or at least NATO (excluding English ranks - he'd be a Leftenant then :p )
I confess I took a tiny liberty by nodding at BSG who mixed US and UK navy terms around in their dialogue. So we're not operating on NATO standard rather something in between.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

As to the low rank, well it's not that low. Lowish perhaps but any higher and you wouldn't send him out by himself I don't think. Besides, junior officers have one trait that so endears them to the higher ranks - they're expendable...

14 atomic batteries, one is enough to power a small building for a year. Not sure how large the base is, nor how large a "small building" is.

Also weird magic metal.

If I hear ke ke ke ke, I will assume the zerg ate the power cables again.
You saw a quick glimpse as we landed, but I'll concede not perhaps sufficient to make an assessment. Well unless you want to start looking at the images and judging how big the landing pad vs the base was and the size of Vanguard when on it. Then again we could wait a few days and see ourselves :)

The switching branches probably didn't do him much good I suspect...

Also, peacetime remote force. The command is probably quite small so rather like most small peacetime military, promotion is often at the expense of "dead men's shoes"...

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
You saw a quick glimpse as we landed, but I'll concede not perhaps sufficient to make an assessment. Well unless you want to start looking at the images and judging how big the landing pad vs the base was and the size of Vanguard when on it. Then again we could wait a few days and see ourselves :)
Figured that was just an outpost for the base, like the best place to land and then vehicle ride to the real base.

Pretty sure they could run the electricty for that place with a hamster in his wheel.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes