somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
A bit grainy....but could I get away with it? I mean that level of quality for animation?
I think most people would be fine with it, is this in game animation or text box head? Since I don't know the context I can't tell if the animation is on the slow side. Physical motion looks fine, you even got the slightly closing open eye. As you mentioned only the grain is off (especially that single shiny one on her hair near her ear).

Maybe the one real critique is that the winking eye is the one covered by hair and so it makes it less dramatic/noticeable. The skin moves well, the neck muscles are hidden so any effect there would be minimal, the eyes closing and slightly closing are how the muscles work.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
D: All of the above... :p
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
And thus, the animations began...
Just use Star Wars sound effects. - A Lazy Man
Pew... pew...
A bit grainy....but could I get away with it? I mean that level of quality for animation?
It is, though the quality of the animation itself is quite good. If it's small, it will look fine, if it's full screen, you will want to have ren'py do the animation with stills, rather than a gif (they do a number on the quality, and cause a pause on the loop from what I have seen). Either way, really nice work.

tontoman

May 4, 2017

Really must get around to watching this at some point!
Has a slow start, but once it gets going has some great characters (like the heavy that just knows he's so broken) on top of the space stuff.

I'd say yes. It certainly doesn't look bad by any means, and animation adds variation to the game for a nice treat here and there! And depending on what is being animated, people probably won't even see the rest. :)

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Aye, the cut does look odd.

But the set up of exterior lights , sun and atmosphere seems to work generally so it might just be that render that's playing up.

I'll have another look when the overnights finish. Thanks everyone.

You see why I like throwing renders around now. :)
And they are appreciated, though I am a bad critic when it comes to the quality and technical side of renders. Somehow always have been more interested in the mood a painting and such engenders like this one.

One last one before I go beddies ....

So I have a pile of Karen in the shower renders from water testing and time on my hands as renders churn away.

Who'd be up for me turning them into a stand alone shower peek game? Non cannon of course. Just some silliness and lewds.
Well you reallyhave no need to ask, as long as you have the time and would be a bit of fun for you to make. :p

Do you really hafta ask?
View attachment 406257
Some gas problems Huity? You should know by now you should not light a Zippo close to your behind when it is windy. ;)

Really? That's a serious question? You really don't know us at all do you? :rolleyes::whistle::p
I would rather say she knows us well enough and likely is cackling about how easy it is to play us. :p

Oh thank God!

For one it might look decent by the time you do :), and also my guilt at not having played yours yet is somewhat molified :)
Well i know you prefer to concentrate on something else right now, but just see it as a homework assignment, taking care of yourself and research for when you have a little bit more time. At least you have no excuses then to feel guilty over the time you would put into some gaming. :p

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Huity has a big heart and somewhat loose definition of one like most of us. Why would he not be able to love them all completely? :cool:

Nuttylicious one,when will you learn you can get away with everything you yourself consider good enough. For me I do not mind a bit grainy since it can add character. The only question is whether you feel that the quality of the animations fit with the rest of the game. Personally I suspect Philly for example held back a little on the quality he could do on DA to keep that sameness and feel of renders to the game and he was already capable of the Broken dreamers quality which was a big jump up by the end of DA.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
That because Star Wars isn't really sci fi (the movie, let alone the game heh). It's fantasy based, with space weapons. You've got your Knights (Jedi), wizards (the more magical jedi powers), princess, pirates etc. In general the science should have something directly to do with the plot for sci fi (why so many sci fi dystopian future movies on how tech might twist things). Gattaca (DNA checking), Moon (would be a spoiler), Altered Carbon (mind swapping). Then you need to know the science as it's part of the plot, if it's just a gun to shoot someone with, not so much.
And much of it would be problematic to explain. Like what is a phaser. Is it a light weapon, because if so we shouldn't see it like it's done on screen. So better leave it, and keep the cool visuals.

Ahhh, nothing like science and movies for a Friday night post beer heh.

edit: thinking about games. SOMA and Control are two games that are pretty good with science stuff (one more than the other being based on reality) as being explained and ingrained into the gameplay. But yeah, certainly not many.
I know. Star Wars mythology around the Force is so rich and detailed that the franchise always takes a turn to the fantasy everytime a Jedi, Sith or any other force user being is involved.

No idea about Control(can't find on steam/gog) but i did found SOMA, going to put it on my watchlist to check it later during some sale.

So long as I don't see a space ship arriving at a space station, pointing towards it, engines going full throttle (so max acceleration as it arrives) and then magically stopping as it arrives.... I'm good :).
*so promises this won't happen!*
Haha i actually remember Shepard jocking about this in Mass Effect 2.
Really must get around to watching this at some point!
It is a great space scifi series. Probably the one with the best science involved.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I know. Star Wars mythology around the Force is so rich and detailed that the franchise always takes a turn to the fantasy everytime a Jedi, Sith or any other force user being is involved.

No idea about Control(can't find on steam/gog) but i did found SOMA, going to put it on my watchlist to check it later during some sale.

Haha i actually remember Comd. Shepard jocking about this in Mass Effect 2.

It is a great space scifi series. Probably the one with the best science involved.
Yeah, Star Wars is 'Space Opera' as a genre (no, not the musical kind). ;p

Reactions: Oddball2k and DA22

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
D: All of the above... :p
And thus, the animations began...
Pew... pew...
It is, though the quality of the animation itself is quite good. If it's small, it will look fine, if it's full screen, you will want to have ren'py do the animation with stills, rather than a gif (they do a number on the quality, and cause a pause on the loop from what I have seen). Either way, really nice work.
The trouble with stills animation is that of file size. Even on that small scale test, 60 stills rocks out as 9MB as opposed to 2.8 for the GIF shown earlier or 187KB for a MP4

Certainly not as much grain and smallest file size too *thinks*

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
The trouble with stills animation is that of file size. Even on that small scale test, 60 stills rocks out as 9MB as opposed to 2.8 for the GIF shown earlier or 187KB for a MP4

Well, size does actually matter, but is always second to quality ;)

That being said, that mp4 is quite good indeed. Is that size thing a myth? :unsure: All hope is not lost then \o/

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018

For stills, I assume if you scale it down, and do less than 60fps, you might have a lot less of a problem. MP4 is much better quality wise, depending on the codec you use to encode it, but it suffers from the stutter on loop. This is only a problem if you are looking for a smooth animation, like in a sex scene loop, for something like a wink, where there is a natural pause moment, it won't matter either way.

Other options for the stills is to do them at a lower resolution as well, going from 1080 to 720 would make a huge difference. Depending on the image format, you might consider turning down the quality as well, such as with a jpg.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017

MP4 what heretical nonsense is this?! The god-king only allows the true successor to his throne AV1.

I am kidding, please don't try AV1 (not to be confused with avi) it is too new and almost 0 encoders/decoders exist. WebM might make the file even smaller with about the same quality. Plus it is free, and MP4 might have a whole royalty thing on it.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
MP4 what heretical nonsense is this?! The god-king only allows the true successor to his throne AV1.

I am kidding, please don't try AV1 (not to be confused with avi) it is too new and almost 0 encoders/decoders exist. WebM might make the file even smaller with about the same quality. Plus it is free, and MP4 might have a whole royalty thing on it.
Webm has some promise, mp4 depends on the codec you use, most of them are free, so not too much of an issue.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes