maroder

Jun 17, 2017
Question: What's your definition of remaster(ed) for an AVN game?
if developer takes chapter down and then reuploads it with even small changes i would consider it remaster. i would agree that im much more liberal with use of remaster than most people. also i don't know better synonym to use

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Oddball2k

evileeyore

Aug 15, 2023
Question: What's your definition of remaster(ed) for an AVN game?
If it hasn't even had a final release... how can it have any "remasters", it's just updates to a pre-alpha/beta release...

Yeah, yeah I know. AVNs and 'chapter based' games like Telltale's games are different... but I still stand by it. For instance had Blizzard released a remaster of Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty (originally released in 2010) on the heels of Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm (2013), because of "three years of graphical development upgrades", and then a remaster of Heart of the Swarm right before Legacy of the Void (2015), I'd have been screaming "BULLSHIT!" at them from the highest mountain.*

Yes, I know Blizzard claims those are "three separate games"... fuck Blizzard. It's one game split three ways so they can charge full AAA pricing three times.

Again, I know, apples and oranges for a lot of reasons, but it still feels like Notty is polishing a beta release (twice now) rather than any sort of "actual remastering"... if my pedestrian "feelings" on it make any sense at all.

* As it was I screaming "BULLSHIT!" at them from the highest mountain over Blizzard's decision to make all their games "always online". I haven't played anything from Blizzard since that decision was made.

Oddball2k

Woof, woof, woof!
Donor
Jun 1, 2018
Well, each new AVN's chapter or update is basically defined by the number of its new renders and their visual quality.
With that in mind, when a Dev makes a remaster of a previous chapter(after another), it means a significant increase in that number or in visual quality or both, imho.
That's exactly what happened to HeavyFive in January 2020 with Chapter-1R and up to Chapter-3R.. It made the previous version look like a demo.
The R suffix remained for Chapter-4R even if it was completely new at that time to avoid any confusion.. Chapter-4R included all the previous chapters after all.

So, what's about the new RS chapters, one and two at this instant?
The RS suffix means Rebuilt and refreShed, imho.
Rebuilt and refreshed with the new polished GUI, a new PDA UI with new and more refined intel and also introducing text message with characters and a more exhaustive achievements panel per chapters(active path and also overall), new animations(with VA for the lewds ones), new tweaks for some gameplay, new refreshed writings, new ambient sounds, etc..

No significant increase in render's number or visual quality even if they have been converted to webp, and a few renders were redone tho.. The length and visual quality of the animations is completely something else, also.
The RS version can't be considered as another remaster version, imho.

And the old saves from Chapter-4R should still be compatible with the new incoming Chapter-5(RS), anyone of them prior to Becca's debriefing...

All this work on Chapter-1RS through -4RS has been made with her Patreon on pause, I should point out.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes