Sinphil

Nov 15, 2018
I agree on most of your points, but that portion of the shuttle and well everything on that side of the shuttle if it was atmosphere doing it would all be light bluish rather than just that very specific area.

I am doubting a ship wouldn't depressurize/recycle the airlock and keep all the air, rather than venting it to space, since oxygen etc are resources they need and are non replenishable in space. Also I think that area is too far forward on the ship from the airlock but that may be my memory being iffy.
The two straight edges are the edges of the door.

I not sure science behind it but look at actual dockings and space walks of real missions you will see venting when equalising pressures. Maybe atmospheric pumps can only decompress to a point and rest has to be vented.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
The two straight edges are the edges of the door.

I not sure science behind it but look at actual dockings and space walks of real missions you will see venting when equalising pressures. Maybe atmospheric pumps can only decompress to a point and rest has to be vented.
The overnights haven't finished yet so I can't really check (I daren't open Daz twice else the hamster will have a fit and die) but will get back to you all asap.

Still...what other smut game gives you science as a debate, eh? :D

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Other than Mass Effect i haven't played many scifi game who actually try to take time to make some sense from their ingame science. Most just briefly mention things, similar the way Star Wars games do.

Hell i played the Anno 2250 from ubisoft and i don't remember the game ever bothering to explain much of the tech behind the ships and the lunar colony you needed to build.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Other than Mass Effect i haven't played many scifi game who actually try to take time to make some sense from their ingame science. Most just briefly mention things, similar the way Star Wars games do.

Hell i played the Anno 2250 from ubisoft and i don't remember the game ever bothering to explain much of the tech behind the ships and the lunar colony you needed to build.
*noddities*

I mean I know really it shouldn't matter that much given the genre of H5 but...it sorta does? I think anything that is immersion breaking is an issue and since I've set out to make a game with a more grounded feel to it, anything that breaks that feel is a problem.

Oddball2k

Woof, woof, woof!
Donor
Jun 1, 2018
Just a little idea about just how many light sources in space without a pesky atmosphere..some great contrasts with man made lighting included.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
And to add to this post, very nice video Sinphil, it reminds me that i never saw any particles illuminations in all my ISS's EVAs re-watches... space is not empty but not so particles filled or you are in big troubles when you are above the atmosphere of an astral body.

tontoman

May 4, 2017
*noddities*

I mean I know really it shouldn't matter that much given the genre of H5 but...it sorta does? I think anything that is immersion breaking is an issue and since I've set out to make a game with a more grounded feel to it, anything that breaks that feel is a problem.
So long as I don't see a space ship arriving at a space station, pointing towards it, engines going full throttle (so max acceleration as it arrives) and then magically stopping as it arrives.... I'm good :).

But what can/will break it depends on the person. The correct science can break it for someone expecting the wrong (see above.. and why it's almost ALWAYS done), and the wrong knowing the right. You can't win ;)

Do love The Expanse for getting much of the gravity stuff correct. Now there's an example of using science giving plot points. All the combat is physics based with the leading, hard burns, Gs etc.

That because Star Wars isn't really sci fi (the movie, let alone the game heh). It's fantasy based, with space weapons. You've got your Knights (Jedi), wizards (the more magical jedi powers), princess, pirates etc. In general the science should have something directly to do with the plot for sci fi (why so many sci fi dystopian future movies on how tech might twist things). Gattaca (DNA checking), Moon (would be a spoiler), Altered Carbon (mind swapping). Then you need to know the science as it's part of the plot, if it's just a gun to shoot someone with, not so much.
And much of it would be problematic to explain. Like what is a phaser. Is it a light weapon, because if so we shouldn't see it like it's done on screen. So better leave it, and keep the cool visuals.

Ahhh, nothing like science and movies for a Friday night post beer heh.

edit: thinking about games. SOMA and Control are two games that are pretty good with science stuff (one more than the other being based on reality) as being explained and ingrained into the gameplay. But yeah, certainly not many.

Last edited:

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
So long as I don't see a space ship arriving at a space station, pointing towards it, engines going full throttle (so max acceleration as it arrives) and then magically stopping as it arrives.... I'm good :).
*so promises this won't happen!*
But what can/will break it depends on the person. The correct science can break it for someone expecting the wrong (see above.. and why it's almost ALWAYS done), and the wrong knowing the right. You can't win ;)
Yeppers! I suspect everything will probs be a compromise between fact, asset rig and time with a smidge of "does it look right", but providing I only ever end bending rules as opposed to breaking them I'll be happy :)

Do love The Expanse for getting much of the gravity stuff correct. Now there's an example of using science giving plot points. All the combat is physics based with the leading, hard burns, Gs etc.
Really must get around to watching this at some point!

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
*so promises this won't happen!*

Yeppers! I suspect everything will probs be a compromise between fact, asset rig and time with a smidge of "does it look right", but providing I only ever end bending rules as opposed to breaking them I'll be happy :)

Really must get around to watching this at some point!
Just use Star Wars sound effects. - A Lazy Man

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes