VN Ren'Py Abandoned Heir Apparent [v.0.02] [SilkandMilkProductions]

3.80 star(s) 46 Votes

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
To the surprise of no one, the game got abandoned...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Sorry guys, to the people that actually paid money on Patreon and to those that thought this game will be completed.
Told you so...

How does the saying go: Bit me once, shame on you. Bit me twice, shame on me.

There were not a snowballs chance in hell that this game would get completed. If the dev cared to listen to me, he could have saved himself a ton of work and pain and just never started with the game.
One of the most able developers on this sight, their games were really, really good.

But they just don't seem to grasp how the adult VN gaming industry works and how to build a loyal fan base.

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
I'm actually not mad at the dev. He wanted to do this for money and tried to be up front about it.

It will just never work... Seeking funds, but simultaneously warning potential investors that the project has a high probability of not getting finished, does not inspire a lot of confidence in said potential investors.

utiola

Mar 10, 2020
Just played this for the first time and holy shit. Not only are the renders beautiful but the music and atmosphere are on a level I don't think I've seen around here for a while. I think much like Come Inside this is one of the few VNs here where incest being treated somewhat naturally (without it being a mindless fuckfest), and teasing without doing/revealing much in a slowburn without getting boring, are recurring themes. Love how there's an actual plot instead of the usual run-of-the-mill "mc lives with mom and sister and dad is gone", and the writing is subpar, being actually able to deliver emotion and a sense of loss for the well written characters. The nuanced references to things that have happened between the characters before without any scenes or flashbacks is done amazingly too, and what's not to love about a well written nurturing motherly figure (or two). And shoutout to whoever chose the soundtrack because it fits fantastically with the sultry/luxurious atmosphere! This game gives me Come Inside/Milky Touch vibes in all the positive ways.
In any case, this is a god-tier 3D CG and I wish the devs the best of luck with the project and I pray that it never gets abandoned. :giggle:
You described this game incredibly accurate, especially that "without it being a mindless fuckfest" part!
It's really disappointing that these near-perfect games never finish. I hope Where It All Began will not suffer the same fate as Heir Apparent or Estate Dominate.

Bloodguard

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2021
I hope Where It All Began will not suffer the same fate as Heir Apparent or Estate Dominate.
Anyone who thinks WIAB will ever be done, does not understand the Dev has God tier OCD. He has to rework, remaster, reboot, everything, until it is perfect. And since it will never be perfect, it will never be complete. That's my take on Super OCD perfectionist Devs anyway. Tons of talent but can't get out of their own way long enough to actually finish anything. :cry:

palmtrees89

Jul 3, 2021
To the surprise of no one, the game got abandoned...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Sorry guys, to the people that actually paid money on Patreon and to those that thought this game will be completed.
Told you so...

How does the saying go: Bit me once, shame on you. Bit me twice, shame on me.

There were not a snowballs chance in hell that this game would get completed. If the dev cared to listen to me, he could have saved himself a ton of work and pain and just never started with the game.
One of the most able developers on this sight, their games were really, really good.

But they just don't seem to grasp how the adult VN gaming industry works and how to build a loyal fan base.
I'm actually not mad at the dev. He wanted to do this for money and tried to be up front about it.

It will just never work... Seeking funds, but simultaneously warning potential investors that the project has a high probability of not getting finished, does not inspire a lot of confidence in said potential investors.
Don't know if I'd call that 'being upfront'. Obviously one of the goals for a game developer is to make profit, so that basically goes without saying. But demanding (yes, not asking but actually demanding) money before even moving a finger is not how that works, and anyone who has worked a day in their lives knows it. This guy acted like he's invented the wheel, deserving everything before delivering anything. I'd call that delusional, not upfront. That, in combination with his absolute insanely cocky and arrogant attitude is a complete no-go.

But yeah, I totally agree that anyone who was willing to jump on that ship has to blame themselves. This dude actually called himself "The best", and yet here we are. Abandoned. Again. Oh surprise! lol

In regards to what you said about saving himself alot of work and pain, well.. This game got abandoned on v0.2 with barely any content, and yet the developer has made a couple thousand bucks out of it. I don't really see the work and pain, except for the pain of those willingly burning their money for nothing.

His renders are solid, that's for sure. Story and writing, though? Nothing new or special there, atleast in my book.

Oh, and it's actually 'Fool me once...', and so on. Sorry, I'm a smartass. :LOL:

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
Don't know if I'd call that 'being upfront'. Obviously one of the goals for a game developer is to make profit, so that basically goes without saying. But demanding (yes, not asking but actually demanding) money before even moving a finger is not how that works, and anyone who has worked a day in their lives knows it. This guy acted like he's invented the wheel, deserving everything before delivering anything. I'd call that delusional, not upfront. That, in combination with his absolute insanely cocky and arrogant attitude is a complete no-go.

But yeah, I totally agree that anyone who was willing to jump on that ship has to blame themselves. This dude actually called himself "The best", and yet here we are. Abandoned. Again. Oh surprise! lol

In regards to what you said about saving himself alot of work and pain, well.. This game got abandoned on v0.2 with barely any content, and yet the developer has made a couple thousand bucks out of it. I don't really see the work and pain, except for the pain of those willingly burning their money for nothing.

His renders are solid, that's for sure. Story and writing, though? Nothing new or special there, atleast in my book.

Oh, and it's actually 'Fool me once...', and so on. Sorry, I'm a smartass. :LOL:
I have not played this one, so cannot really comment on it. Primal instinct was very, very, very good IMO. Not the best for sure, but pretty much up there. Somone on this thread say it's better than DrPinkCake's game, that is obviously not true. (even if you don't like DrPinkCake's game, there are very few games on here with the same production value as that one. Same with Phillygames)

Having said that, This dev IMO had the potential to be one of the greats. He just had to keep his head down and update his game.

In terms of being upfront (For his first game at least). Well, I think he wanted to play open cards with his Patreons. He had some money targets (milestones) in his head about the rate of growth for his game and the targets were falling short of expectations. When he saw that, he basically wanted to give up, unless by a miracle his targets could be met. Maybe a last throw of the dice?

His second game (this one) was just a bad call from the start for everyone involved. Definition of stupid: Doing the same thing twice and expecting a different outcome. The irony is that if he just kept on going with his first game, he would have probably been at his target by now.

The fool me once... at the time I kinda forgot the actual wording and just went with something. Did not want to edit it a day later when I remembered the correct expression. bit me once worked well enough for me :D

SweetSatu

Jan 29, 2020
Well I see harem and/or incest tags, I don't touch. Always dumb shit.
Oh, dont get me wrong. Im all in for incest/romance shit. I was just paraphrasing DEVs line of thinking.
Was huge fan of his previous game.
He is just entitled cunt now.

Zorrion

Mar 18, 2020
I couldn't agree more. I don't like/pay incest, I think 99% are just dumb. This one was pretty decent, so far...
Yeah tbh I play most of them that come out but it's usually for fap material since most of them are carbon copies of each other but every so often there's one with an actual story to tell and it's a 50/50 on whether it gets abandoned or not.

kartolas

Apr 10, 2021
Yeah tbh I play most of them that come out but it's usually for fap material since most of them are carbon copies of each other but every so often there's one with an actual story to tell and it's a 50/50 on whether it gets abandoned or not.
I'm all for the story. Once I even played an harem one and finished without skipping.

3.80 star(s) 46 Votes