VN Ren'Py Abandoned Heir Apparent [v.0.02] [SilkandMilkProductions]

3.80 star(s) 46 Votes

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
Great game! Any update?
Nope, dead as can be.... The dev expected (pretty much demanded) a certain financial support level that never happened.
This is his second abandoned game, both were well above average, but his expectations just weren't realistic.
And announcing you will release new content based on fixed support received, with the promise the game will be discontinued if not met, just doesn't inspire much hope for possible patreons...

Edit : seems the Patreon is still up, next target is 1477 euro for 1 month of production on V0.3 (currently 106 in)

Last edited:

Xumeey

Apr 27, 2017
Nope, dead as can be.... The dev expected (pretty much demanded) a certain financial support level that never happened.
This is his second abandoned game, both were well above average, but his expectations just weren't realistic.
And announcing you will release new content based on fixed support received, with the promise the game will be discontinued if not met, just doesn't inspire much hope for possible patreons...

Edit : seems the Patreon is still up, next target is 1477 euro for 1 month of production on V0.3 (currently 106 in)
The man is mentally ill.

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
The man is mentally ill.
I sincerely hope for him that is not actually the situation. But i get the point, it would make more sense to just keep regular updates coming and with time gaining more support. The initial release halfway 2021 and one update halfway 2022 just will not generate much exposure, fans or patreons... Some people will find the game, but only after they got bored enough from playing all the other games with more frequent updates. You only find this game when looking for something you missed before...
Annual updates just don't work unless you've already gathered a decent number of supporters... (and bring big content too)

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I sincerely hope for him that is not actually the situation. But i get the point, it would make more sense to just keep regular updates coming and with time gaining more support. The initial release halfway 2021 and one update halfway 2022 just will not generate much exposure, fans or patreons... Some people will find the game, but only after they got bored enough from playing all the other games with more frequent updates. You only find this game when looking for something you missed before...
Annual updates just don't work unless you've already gathered a decent number of supporters... (and bring big content too)

It might be more a matter of pride, in that he is unable to accept that his idea of forcing people to support him didn't work.
After all, you have to be pretty irrational already to ever believe a stunt like that could work. Then he keeps on losing supporters, because he doesn't release updates and instead of accepting he is wrong, he just trudges on until it's all over again.
Maybe not the sign of a madman, but definitely of someone whose ego is his biggest hurdle to overcome.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Do you think there will be a third coming of this developer?:BootyTime:

Let's hope not. He is a skilled artist and a passable writer (with delusions of grandeur), but he doesn't get how patreon works.
He thinks he is so great that people should just say "Shut up and take my money," but nobody else thinks that and so he becomes offended and acts as if it's a personal insult he doesn't get the money he expects.

You don't need to be a genius to understand that there are two ways in which you can get support on patreon.
One way is that you are one of the lucky ones, whose game fills a niche at the right time and you get a lot of supporters in just a few months, the other one is to slowly build up reputation and garner support by providing regular updates with a fair amount of content.

The first one didn't work for him, because while his skills were alright, even with his first game, he didn't really offer anything new, just the same stuff a few dozen games have, but looking prettier and with better writing than most.
I still think, in the end this would have been enough to gain him decent support if he kept at it long enough.
But no, he constantly demanded (not asked) for more money, while providing slow updates with little content. Threatening that if he didn't get the money he decided he needed, the game would be abandoned.

And that's of course where his brain short-circuited, who in his right mind would support a dev who won't work on his game, unless he gets more money? Most people want something out of being patrons, they expect something in return, but this dev straight up tells you, you can support me, but if I don't get enough money, I won't work on the game, despite the money you give me.
The updates don't come, so he loses supporters, instead of getting the fucking hint, he doubles down and works on the game even less, constantly complaining about not getting enough to his remaining patrons and threatening to cancel the game.

Which of course leads to even more patrons leaving, because they are not getting anything but constant complaining and threats for their money.

I mean, he might not be insane in the clinical sense, but this approach has to be the most irrational and stupid attempt at getting patreon support I have ever seen.

There are people who support games solely because they want to help the dev, for his talent, but even those would of course see that it makes no sense to support him, as nothing would come of it. Unless they gave him a few thousands a month of course.

Yaaai

Jan 2, 2022
Let's hope not. He is a skilled artist and a passable writer (with delusions of grandeur), but he doesn't get how patreon works.
He thinks he is so great that people should just say "Shut up and take my money," but nobody else thinks that and so he becomes offended and acts as if it's a personal insult he doesn't get the money he expects.

You don't need to be a genius to understand that there are two ways in which you can get support on patreon.
One way is that you are one of the lucky ones, whose game fills a niche at the right time and you get a lot of supporters in just a few months, the other one is to slowly build up reputation and garner support by providing regular updates with a fair amount of content.

The first one didn't work for him, because while his skills were alright, even with his first game, he didn't really offer anything new, just the same stuff a few dozen games have, but looking prettier and with better writing than most.
I still think, in the end this would have been enough to gain him decent support if he kept at it long enough.
But no, he constantly demanded (not asked) for more money, while providing slow updates with little content. Threatening that if he didn't get the money he decided he needed, the game would be abandoned.

And that's of course where his brain short-circuited, who in his right mind would support a dev who won't work on his game, unless he gets more money? Most people want something out of being patrons, they expect something in return, but this dev straight up tells you, you can support me, but if I don't get enough money, I won't work on the game, despite the money you give me.
The updates don't come, so he loses supporters, instead of getting the fucking hint, he doubles down and works on the game even less, constantly complaining about not getting enough to his remaining patrons and threatening to cancel the game.

Which of course leads to even more patrons leaving, because they are not getting anything but constant complaining and threats for their money.

I mean, he might not be insane in the clinical sense, but this approach has to be the most irrational and stupid attempt at getting patreon support I have ever seen.

There are people who support games solely because they want to help the dev, for his talent, but even those would of course see that it makes no sense to support him, as nothing would come of it. Unless they gave him a few thousands a month of course.
Well, it is clear that it was his approach with "give money and shut up" that alienated all players.
I do not know why he decided to do it that way, but it was all-in.
But if he had continued to release updates without his ultimatum, then I am sure that the game would have found success, because the renders in the demo were at a new level

3.80 star(s) 46 Votes