VN Ren'Py Abandoned Heir Apparent [v.0.02] [SilkandMilkProductions]

3.80 star(s) 46 Votes

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
Don't know the dude. But a little empathy goes a long way from both sides.
I know dev's that have killed themselves and get flamed while raking in less than 10 dollars a month.
Can you really blame them for quitting?

Usually key is communication. If this dev was honest, I don't see the issue.
In short if he told clearly that he needs amount xx to do yy, that is how it is.

Not sure if that is the winning strategy, but that is an entirely different topic.
No. The issue is that the dev stole money. He put up what ended up being a pretty-looking demo and then said that he A) wouldn't work on it until it hit a minimum dollar amount and B) would keep the money from his patrons anyway. That is not what Patreon and other monthly support platforms are for. That is more appropriate for platforms like Kickstarter, where you are only being pledged money rather than having it donated and if the goal isn't reached the supporters don't lose the money. The project just gets scuttled if the goal isn't reached and pledges are refunded. What an ethical dev does is pause the payments when they are unable to work on their game because of other commitments. Like OrbOrigins who hasn't been able to work on their game due to legal and family troubles. While communication is an issue as you said, keeping the "insufficient amount" of money his patrons gave him over the course of several months while refusing to start development was incredibly dishonest.

E_O_N

Creator of Winter Warmth & Karma
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2021
No. The issue is that the dev stole money. He put up what ended up being a pretty-looking demo and then said that he A) wouldn't work on it until it hit a minimum dollar amount and B) would keep the money from his patrons anyway. That is not what Patreon and other monthly support platforms are for. That is more appropriate for platforms like Kickstarter, where you are only being pledged money rather than having it donated and if the goal isn't reached the supporters don't lose the money. The project just gets scuttled if the goal isn't reached and pledges are refunded. What an ethical dev does is pause the payments when they are unable to work on their game because of other commitments. Like OrbOrigins who hasn't been able to work on their game due to legal and family troubles. While communication is an issue as you said, keeping the "insufficient amount" of money his patrons gave him over the course of several months while refusing to start development was incredibly dishonest.
I thought he took the money and developed the promised amount of content. That he also said that he will be closing the project if a certain amount is not reached. This is how I understood it. In this case at least every patron knows what he is signing up for.

To me there is always three parties Dev - Patron - Devteam. People that just download the games don't matter. Sounds harsh? Maybe, but people's time isn't worth anything.

I don't know the details, possible he is a scumbag and if he betrayed either his patrons or devteam, I will not argue that he is. And to me personally, that matters in regards to supporting someone.

If however, he mapped out a clear deal, followed it, was transparent and the deal wasn't that great for many and ultimately his project failed. That is not betraying his patrons or team. He is following the plan he has set out to do, the one he communicated, and sadly his patrons, as well as he, lost something on that.

But I don't want to defend the guy, he sounds like an ass.
However, he doesn't owe us anything on a pirate site. We have 4 million users, how many do support a dev? 20k? That would be around 0.5% - those download and play a lot more games than they support. We are talking about Indie games here. We are not pirating the big franchises like Blizzard, who are morally corrupt and deserve it.
We are shafting people who give their all to create something and make it somewhere.

I am not against piracy, also I've had rough times. Anyone in a time like the ones I've had. I kind of hope he downloads my games, instead of paying for it. If we fail because of that, then we didn't deserve it anyway.
Also it can help a game dev as well, if that means it spreads. But let's be real here.
We are not entitled to shit and we are not the good guys.

Edit: Math is hard, added 0.

Last edited:

89tasker

Jun 4, 2017
Abandoned with (incest) content with Summer (niece) only?
partial HJ, with a secret scene of full HJ....

Even without the obvious patreon ultimatum, the game felt like it was going to delay the sex content to milk patrons for years.

allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
Lol. We all knew this was going to happen sooner or later but I didn't think it'd be this quick this time around. Nothing against the dev, just disappointed. So much potential but he just tries to make this a full-time thing way too quickly. I feel like if he just had some patience, the patrons would definitely come. His last game had the potential the blow a lot of stuff out of the water with just the renders alone.

atrebor68

Aug 26, 2020
My Two Cents: Primal Instinct could be a great game if wrote without the mistery side. With its wonderful graphics and exciting story of the couple's honeymoon, with arguably the prettiest and exciting wife in current adult games. The Dev just needed a little patience and the patronizers should arrived, just as for others couples games like Deliverance, Exciting Games, Watching My Wife.

Reactions: EndlessNights

SuperPerv96

Apr 21, 2018
I wante to play the game but i see the "abandoned" tag, it has been confirmed by the dev that the game was abandoned?

Draupnir7

Sep 3, 2020
I wante to play the game but i see the "abandoned" tag, it has been confirmed by the dev that the game was abandoned?
I don't think he has, no. But he's still got about $280 a month coming through, so he's not likely to shut things down when he can still milk coomers to blunt living costs.

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
I think it's not abandoned the dev is just waiting for more supporters.
He was making a post on patreon each month to say that (and to show sign of life), but not anymore for a couple months. So we can just assume it's abandonned because there is low support from the start and he said he would abandon it in that case. A lot of devs ghost their patrons instead of officially saying they abandon their game. Hard to refuse a few bucks each month for doing nothing.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Don't know the dude. But a little empathy goes a long way from both sides.
The dev has made financial demands on both this and the last game saying if they didn't get a certain amount they would abandon the project.

It didn't work last time so he abandoned a game many loved and started this just to repeat the process.

On top of that he had an attitude problem and managed to piss off damn near everyone in the last games thread and then wondered why people weren't throwing money at him.

Empathy?

Empathy my clit.

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
My Two Cents: Primal Instinct could be a great game if wrote without the mistery side. With its wonderful graphics and exciting story of the couple's honeymoon, with arguably the prettiest and exciting wife in current adult games. The Dev just needed a little patience and the patronizers should arrived, just as for others couples games like Deliverance, Exciting Games, Watching My Wife.
You aren't wrong. There was nothing really wrong with either of these games other than the Dev.

homejorz

Apr 12, 2020
Is there anything official about the game being cancelled? Or is it speculation based on his previous game?

Reactions: The D0n

homejorz

Apr 12, 2020
He was making a post on patreon each month to say that (and to show sign of life), but not anymore for a couple months. So we can just assume it's abandonned because there is low support from the start and he said he would abandon it in that case. A lot of devs ghost their patrons instead of officially saying they abandon their game. Hard to refuse a few bucks each month for doing nothing.

So no

3.80 star(s) 46 Votes