Dremo

Jul 4, 2017
Every time, I let 2 or 3 updates pass by before replaying the game, and somehow every single time I'm even more amazed by how tremendously bad the balance is and always evolves in a "1 step forward, 2 to 10 steps backwards" manner.

Somehow, Gwen, someone that's in a zone who's difficulty is supposedly juuuuust above the beginning ones, can only be defeated 2 ways(Edit: 3 ways. Submitting to her continuously allows you to continue the fight, but gives you a permanent malus on top of addiction) . Either you straight up one shot her, either you succeed several back to back skill checks who;

1- Are tied to an useless stat that has always been kept useless and counter-productive but lately more and more stuff punishes you for not leveling it and therefore kinda forces you to waste points on it
2- Cannot be properly prepared for since said stat cannot be farmed with the usual early-game strats like labs
3- DRAINS PERMANENTLY said stat every time you fail
4- Increase by increments of 50 the skill check amounts every time you succeed
5- Constantly increases an addiction every single time

Like, I'm all for playing the game the "intended way", but clearly cheating in nearly unlimited fame appears to be what's encouraged when there's early encounters that can just not only stunlock you, but bears consequences of losing that most encounters, even late ones, don't even have themselves. When the only answer to such encounters is to steamroll them, what gives?

I thought the wacky balance was because it was early in development some time ago and didn't think much of it, but with things like this being added, "beneficial" things to the players being double-edged and actual reliable strategy like lab farming being nerfed, it just makes this game appear as something that doesn't even want to be played to begin with.

Last edited:

Chronwalk

Mar 18, 2019
Every time, I let 2 or 3 updates pass by before replaying the game, and somehow every single time I'm even more amazed by how tremendously bad the balance is and always evolves in a "1 step forward, 2 to 10 steps backwards" manner.

Somehow, Gwen, someone that's in a zone who's difficulty is supposedly juuuuust above the beginning ones, can only be defeated 2 ways(Edit: 3 ways. Submitting to her continuously allows you to continue the fight, but gives you a permanent malus on top of addiction) . Either you straight up one shot her, either you succeed several back to back skill checks who;

1- Are tied to an useless stat that has always been kept useless and counter-productive but lately more and more stuff punishes you for not leveling it and therefore kinda forces you to waste points on it
2- Cannot be properly prepared for since said stat cannot be farmed with the usual early-game strats like labs

Like, I'm all for playing the game the "intended way", but clearly cheating in nearly unlimited fame appears to be what's encouraged when there's early encounters that can just not only stunlock you, but bears consequences of losing that most encounters, even late ones, don't even have themselves. When the only answer to such encounters is to steamroll them, what gives?

I thought the wacky balance was because it was early in development some time ago and didn't think much of it, but with things like this being added, "beneficial" things to the players being double-edged and actual reliable strategy like lab farming being nerfed, it just makes this game appear as something that doesn't even want to be played to begin with.
I mean... Ever since HC 1, both games have always been that, steamrolling the enemies... Dev has been trying to add more mechanics (stamina, the dominated debuff that happens when you're getting laid, resistance now with one of the bosses, adding more debuffs and buffs, the added mechanic on HC 2 to have starting buffs but forcing you to get debuffs), but none of them effectively changed the game, they just added more grind to the game... HC 2 lacks events currently, you need to grind a helluva lot of enemies on each run to gain fame, which you turn into stats, around a couple of days, even the starting enemies gain a few stats, like hp and more damage, which makes it slightly more harder to maintain MC addictions in check (This makes the steamrolling of early game much more important, you beat as many enemies early on as you can to buy maps, and gain xp to lvl up). The idea is you eventually become almost a god, since the roguelike aspect is there... There are a lot of ways the game could receive a few QoL updates, the fastest way to make the game better in balance is just to increase Fame acquisition per each enemy defeated, say 15 - 20 points base, bosses give you a decent amount of fame, but until you can beat them, it's a grind fiesta and it would also need to be reviewed the amount you gain from defeating them...

Not everything about the game is bad, obviously, it possesses a small yet loyal playerbase, since the Dev makes steady additions of enemies and with each one tries to implement a new mechanic, but the core is there (steamrolling enemies) that's the problem with a Roguelike game, the core is you eventually become strong enough to do this, say, you were fighting in a sword game, and X boss was defeating you, he did so until you lvl'd up so much you end up bringing a bazooka to a sword fight, this said X boss you are now bullying and going to new enemies easier and quicker...

Nait Sieve

Mar 5, 2021
the frequent updates are great and all, but without cheating i'd honestly have grown tired a good while ago, thanks to all the grind. i guess balance isn't much of a priority at this point. i hope that the dev will also rework the progression system at some point, allowing us to get to similar starting stats as in HC1. just grinding the starting areas again and again gets boring quickly.
for now i don't feel ashamed to just cheat myself high stats and all the money i coud need and just inspect the new content.
and yeah, gonna agree that the stat checks for Gwen are way over the top, quickly demanding stats that you woud never really get to, especially not by the time you start exploring tier 2 areas.

anowon

Apr 4, 2021

Just submit the very first time she asks you to. No skill checks, yeah you get Dominated, but her HP pool is half the other enemies in the area anyway so it washes. It's a gimmick/puzzle fight.

Reactions: Adungaman

Imprezo

Aug 31, 2017
what renpy programs do you guys use on PC to modify the game?

here's a quick guide, how to modify your game ignoring unren.
you can just open console and use some commands,

such as:
lust = 0
gold += 999999
points += 999999

Those three should be enough to abuse any content you may want.

3.60 star(s) 22 Votes