WSmith

Jul 25, 2018
It's been so long I completely forgot about this game. I was a Patreon supporter but I moved on. If there are more frequent updates after the next release I might play again. Not going to bother until I see the dev is more active.
To me the dev seems very active, but just chooses to do substantial updates with long intervals in between, instead of smaller updates with shorter intervals. I'm actually okay with this, since the content is always great. Games like Summertime Saga update more regularly but always feel disproportionate (although I still enjoy the game a lot).

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
It's been so long I completely forgot about this game. I was a Patreon supporter but I moved on. If there are more frequent updates after the next release I might play again. Not going to bother until I see the dev is more active.
Not trying to get you into Patreon here, but consider that the game as it is now with all its content is basically one update. The 0.0.1 was only the prologue in your hometown with a quick glance at the city. That is more content than whole games (who update monthly for years) have. If the next update is of similar volume (as promised) the content per dev time ration is quite high on the list of F95.

Last edited:

Hoplow73

Dec 10, 2020
To me the dev seems very active, but just chooses to do substantial updates with long intervals in between, instead of smaller updates with shorter intervals. I'm actually okay with this, since the content is always great. Games like Summertime Saga update more regularly but always feel disproportionate (although I still enjoy the game a lot).
You seem to be happy waiting for the next update. It seems that you do not accurately remember how active Komisari was the first year. Between December 2019 when they first released the game and November 2020 there were 9 content updates released. That's 9 in 11 months. It kept me entertained and supporting. So no, they did not always have long intervals between updates. This is the first one but it's killed my interest and excitement about the game.

I decided that new content was not being released and the information from the developer indicated a long development period, so I stopped supporting this past July when I noticed I hadn't seen a status update since April. Now it's been nearly a year since the last content update. I barely remember playing, only that it was fun. I don't want to replay the earlier content, do the new stuff, then wait who knows how long for the next update. If they get back on track and release more content I might come back.

I enjoyed the game but like most visual novels it's not really replayable to keep you entertained until the next release. If there's a long interval between releases the developer runs the risk of being forgotten, thus rendering all of their hard work pointless. Sometimes trying to go big is not a good thing. Smaller releases keeps your base entertained and engaged. Big games companies have their major title releases but still have minor content patch updates to keep people playing until the next big release. It's a solid business model. Since they are receiving financial support of their project they are in business whether they see it that way or not. Once you take money you have obligations to your supporters.

I know they still have lots of supporters on Patreon so maybe I'm the odd man out. The last goal was to hit $1500 per month to be a developer full time. They currently sit at over 8k per month per their Patreon page. No new goal posted. What are they doing with that $8000 per month? Do they have employees now? Working by themselves stuck and unable to figure out how to fix errors? Maybe doing nothing...who knows. They used to post updates several times a month. Since the beginning of May they posted to their Patreon once. My question is why are so many people still supporting based on vague promises that it isn't abandoned and will some out on the future.

WSmith

Jul 25, 2018
You seem to be happy waiting for the next update. It seems that you do not accurately remember how active Komisari was the first year. Between December 2019 when they first released the game and November 2020 there were 9 content updates released. That's 9 in 11 months. It kept me entertained and supporting. So no, they did not always have long intervals between updates. This is the first one but it's killed my interest and excitement about the game.

[...]
You wrote a very long reply to my post, but I don't think you meant it all as a reply to my post directly.

I never said Komisari always had these long pauses. I said they choose to do so, which is true. Your assumption that I do not remember the earlier update rhythm is false (but I get how my post reads like that), as I do indeed remember that and have been here since the early days (I still have all the builds, including the early naughty Sunny stuff :eek:).

I do get you completely though. Not everyone will like this speed. You say you lose your base like this, but personally I like it more. Now we have conflicting ideas, and unless you have some research that proves updating less will lose a player base, we cant get anywhere with this. (just for the record, I think you are right, but we dont have prove). Komisari seems pretty active here, and the money tap on patreon is still open for them, so I dont think they are losing their player base as much as youd think, so maybe more people are okay with this speed than one would assume.
I guess in the end its just that some people like to have more updates with less content, others the other way around. But you cant please everybody, unfortunately. :)

As for why people still support Komisari without much activity on patreon: I honestly dont know. I think I would have more of a problem with long radio silences than long periods without updates. Luckily Im on a site where Komisari is quite active.
As for the obligation thing: I disagree in a way. Patreon has a very clear model that you do things because you want to support a process, or an idea. You dont buy a product at its final stage, and people take that risk willingly. I understand you when you say creators have an obligation, and I agree in an ethical sense, but in a business sense its just not true. Komisari does not owe their supporters anything, but of course it would be best to be on their good side. Since the support is still there, they must be doing something right, no? :unsure: Or did it drop from when the updates were still coming at a quicker pace? Regardless, since you were a patreon and have decided to stop, I think your input should at least be seriously considered by Komisari.

Im still very much looking forward to the update. Curious to see how much will be added and how much will change.

Reactions: BloodyRelight

Komisari

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2019

I decided that new content was not being released and the information from the developer indicated a long development period, so I stopped supporting this past July when I noticed I hadn't seen a status update since April. Now it's been nearly a year since the last content update. I barely remember playing, only that it was fun. I don't want to replay the earlier content, do the new stuff, then wait who knows how long for the next update. If they get back on track and release more content I might come back.

I enjoyed the game but like most visual novels it's not really replayable to keep you entertained until the next release. If there's a long interval between releases the developer runs the risk of being forgotten, thus rendering all of their hard work pointless. Sometimes trying to go big is not a good thing. Smaller releases keeps your base entertained and engaged. Big games companies have their major title releases but still have minor content patch updates to keep people playing until the next big release. It's a solid business model. Since they are receiving financial support of their project they are in business whether they see it that way or not. Once you take money you have obligations to your supporters.

I know they still have lots of supporters on Patreon so maybe I'm the odd man out. The last goal was to hit $1500 per month to be a developer full time. They currently sit at over 8k per month per their Patreon page. No new goal posted. What are they doing with that $8000 per month? Do they have employees now? Working by themselves stuck and unable to figure out how to fix errors? Maybe doing nothing...who knows. They used to post updates several times a month. Since the beginning of May they posted to their Patreon once. My question is why are so many people still supporting based on vague promises that it isn't abandoned and will some out on the future.
I appreciate your opinion, and it's completely okay if you decided to stop supporting me! The game had, in content updates;
- v0.0.1 (The Demo)
- v0.1.0 (Overhaul Update, a radical change from the demo)
- v0.1.1 (Content update)
- v0.1.2 Beta and Pre-Release (Both content update and rework, AGAIN.)
- v0.1.2 Public (Added the Halloween events)

And all of that content was only the prologue of the game, right now I'm working on the full chapter 1 who is larger than the prologue, not only larger but looks incredibly better. (Not only that, but we have to remember there's literally a new full game mechanic that needs a lot of work; The Random Dungeons, plus the multiple characters I remade only for the game to look better. )
So, there are 5 updates in one year, not 9.
But that doesn't change anything, I just wanted to let you know.

I want to make HHG something special among the games around, that needs much more work than just taking renders and posting them on a folder.
And yeah, maybe you won't play it again, but... Once the update is here, I would totally recommend it ;)

Oh and there's a lot of ways to see if I'm really working on the game, I keep posting and showing in discord a lot of stuff most of the time, but, eh, you mentioned it so here it goes; I normally use Gyazo to show stuff to others or friends to show new gameplay or stuff, even to work with people like the guy who draws the tiles for the dungeon. Here u have if you have any doubt;

(And consider this is not REALLY everything I do.)

This is March, I worked a lot on the Dungeons system, the new Gifts system, the new Narissa companion, the new completely animated main menu, reworked almost every item, and a prototype of what would be a probably future battle system.
b11de9336a4532849277a606b1d02998.gif

I'm not showing this to you to start supporting me again or something like that xD
But I will defend Hero's Harem Guild with sword and shield when someone says I'm not working on the game, or, that is abandoned. Because it's not true.

But yeah, it's true that I should be more active on Patreon, but I really don't know what to post. I can't be posting something with the title "Haha soon" every month. Right now I'm working on going back again to the monthly wallpapers and probably some polls for exclusive renders. Will probably do so in a week. But I feel that is not what the Patrons want, but at least I will be able to be more active on Patron and they will be engaged to ask about stuff or talk on comments.

Oh and if you want to see a more recent "proof" (Sept 26), here is me, trying Renpy's Spritemanager System to see how it works and if I can use it on the game.
b23b3bb6f5aa67f32bd7944604521a78.gif

If I'm not being clear enough; Yes I'm working on the game.

DudePersonA

Aug 24, 2018
But yeah, it's true that I should be more active on Patreon, but I really don't know what to post. I can't be posting something with the title "Haha soon" every month. Right now I'm working on going back again to the monthly wallpapers and probably some polls for exclusive renders. Will probably do so in a week. But I feel that is not what the Patrons want, but at least I will be able to be more active on Patron and they will be engaged to ask about stuff or talk on comments.
You can pretty much. All that matters is:
1.) The updates are roughly consistent.
2.) You don't lie or make promises that you can't keep; be transparent with what people can expect. (i.e. don't be the dev of Waifu Academy ;) )

Posting development updates helps document the work that you've done where the user cannot otherwise see or experience the fruits of that labor themselves. It also gives users something to talk about each interval. Some devs do weekly or bi-weekly updates, but monthly updates are generally fine; just post them mostly consistently so that it feels like there's a system and a plan going forward.

Like that response you just posted. That's more or less a monthly update, except you'll probably want to make sure that there's boobies in at least every second update.

But maybe you already do that in discord. I don't hang out in the discords :shrug:

Edit: To be clear, my usage of the word "update" is in reference to "development update". I don't expect you to put out bi-weekly or monthly game updates; the game update is done when it's done. But having development updates where people know what's going on, outside of the discord, is a good idea, for the reasons and similar to the manner I referenced above. And like pazkero says, "radio silence" is almost always seen as a bad thing.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019
Don't presume patrons actually check Patreon besides to add new pledges or give a breath to their budgets. A lot of patrons rarely or never check Patreon website (thanks to automatic billing feature), some prefer to keep track of your work on Discord (more convenient) or just blindly trust you.

Forgetting the patreon page will be harmful to potential new supporters, non supporters using Patreon to gauge your activity (just like "official twitter account" of companies), and patrons looking for where they can reduce their pledge to conserve their budget.

Never saw any downside of just summarizing Discord's content on Patreon or doing trimestral summaries on Patreon and sending the link on Discord. Keep in mind every patron is a different person, with different opinions regarding ideal release schedules, expected consistency, how often to post updates, etc. - There is no "right" or "wrong", but there are stuff you should avoid doing or outright never do, because well, I just said they are persons, right?

Radio Silence is one of the things you should avoid or never do, because in the end of the day your patrons are still humans; But even if you do, you won't plummet to zero - those whom choose to blindly trust you will still keep supporting (at least, until they decide "hey lemme check where my money is going to, budget will be tighter this month") ;)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Komisari

WSmith

Jul 25, 2018
Wait, there's naughty Sunny stuff I'm not aware of?! Is it still available, and how do I put my pervy hands on it? :geek:
Maybe you are aware of it? In the 0.0.1 build: rubbing your genitals against each other underwater, her riding you, then doggy, then deep throat and cumming outside over face.

4.40 star(s) 207 Votes