Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Wait, how does creating an easier difficulty get in the way of the storyline? I'd be more involved in the story if I didn't feel I was thrown out of it by having to do grinding. Grinding has nothing to do with the storyline, it rests solely on the gameplay-loop side of things. An easier difficulty setting will only draw in people that would otherwise be deterred by grinding or difficult gameplay.

Simply put: if you are a game dev that wants to maximize the number of players getting the story, you make the difficulty adjustable to their specific needs and wants.
A good point but also not entirely the whole story (no pun intended). A storyline is not only the story expressed itself but also the pacing. Let events happen too fast, conflicts resolve too quickly, and even a good storyline falls apart. Not that all out action (not necessarily lewd) cannot be enjoyable in itself, but generally speaking when something happens you (as "the hero") cannot just go out and fix it but have to gather resources (in a meta way, usually it's not picking apples and flowers) because you are not ready yet.

Of course it can become a challenge to still keep you in line doing that and not forgetting the main quest - Bethesda games famously suffer from a case of "yeah, I know, dragons and daedra and Hoover Dam and Institute and stuff, but I really gotta collect these 10 thingamajigs for the old widow and then try to get that one armor" (although I also enjoy them immensely).

So yes, in general grinding is not storyline. But having to gather means to advance to me is part of a storyline even with no deeper narrative. Especially in a rags-to-riches storyline like we're facing, with a hero that doesn't really know what he is doing, what he is supposed to be doing, and how to do it, so will need time. It wouldn't fit the character to just go out and kick some ass without further ado.

And yes, this could also be achieved using some narrative sequences, but for people like me who also like to do some stuff in their games it is nice - and there's not that much grinding needed anyway since most of the stuff you can get you don't need. Well, except for Jimmy headpat and that is expensive, agreed.

Last edited:

WSmith

Jul 25, 2018
A good point but also not entirely the whole story (no pun intended). A storyline is not only the story expressed itself but also the pacing. Let events happen to fast, conflicts resolve too quickly, and even a good storyline falls apart. Not that all out action (not necessarily lewd) cannot be enjoyable in itself, but generally speaking when something happens you (as "the hero") cannot just go out and fix it but have to gather resources (in a meta way, usually it's not picking apples and flowers) because you are not ready yet.

Of course it can become a challenge to still keep you in line doing that and not forgetting the main quest - Bethesda games famously suffer from a case of "yeah, I know, dragons and daedra and Hoover Dam and Institute and stuff, but I really gotta collect these 10 thingamajigs for the old widow and then try to get that one armor" (although I also enjoy them immensely).

So yes, in general grinding is not storyline. But having to gather means to advance to me is part of a storyline even with no deeper narrative. Especially in a rags-to-riches storyline like we're facing, with a hero that doesn't really know what he is doing, what he is supposed to be doing, and how to do it, so will need time. It wouldn't fit the character to just go out and kick some ass without further ado.

And yes, this could also be achieved using some narrative sequences, but for people like me who also like to do some stuff in their games it is nice - and there's not that much grinding needed anyway since most of the stuff you can get you don't need. Well, except for Jimmy headpat and that is expensive, agreed.
I completely agree with you! Great addition. And to add to that, pacing in games is highly dependant on individual play styles and skill. Therefore, I'd still say it's good to have different difficulty settings :) because even though it is indeed needed to feel you worked at something, like you described and I totally recognise, if it becomes too much people will stay way.
It's the old thing of if you're in your comfort zone it's too boring, but if you are too far out of it it becomes too much to handle. Everything that needs to challenge people needs to be just outside the comfort zone, so they can access it and grow. The problem with games is that they cater to many different types of people, so the challenge is always relative. Which, again, brings me to why difficulty settings can be a good thing :)

Reactions: Cartageno

Kantanshi

Dec 28, 2018
I feel I get more invested into a character when there's activities like Komisari has in his game. It makes it a little more immersive for me. Sure, just a straight out story has its good points but I look at it like this: When I have something I need to think about in real life, I'll engage in some activity that doesn't require my full attention like, yes, fishing or some other menial task. Komisari's MC has plenty to be thinking about. Even in games there are times when I get tired of just going all out to follow the main story or quest lines. Like in Morrowind or Skyrim I'll just go clear out areas and gather stuff just for the hell of it. I'll drag around dead bodies and make a pile of them outside my base and whatnot. A little variety goes a long way. At one point I attempted to make a Brahmin pet that pulled a cart to carry my stuff while following me. Got the model done but couldn't figure out Bethesda's scripting to get it moving correctly.

EDIT:
Wow, I was tired when I wrote this. I meant Fallout, not Morrowind or Skyrim....

Last edited:

ELSanchez

Jul 3, 2018
Also, the higher difficulty fish are basically impossible for those of us stuck with a laptop's touchpad instead of a proper mouse. (even with all the hooks and other fishing items)
I'm gonna lie, the higher level fish are, hilariously, more annoying to catch than IRL fish that are a massive pain in the rear (ie: Gar) when you try to do it on a laptop. Kinda made me want a cast net and a fish bonker... This being said, I haven't touched this game since 0.1.2 was new, I will need to replay it to remember what the storyline was before the next update comes out, or wait for it and then just do a fresh playthough. Looking forward to seeing where stuff goes in CH1...especially if there isn't a significant need for the high level fish...those sucked...:cautious:

Kantanshi

Dec 28, 2018
For those of you having difficulty with the circular mouse movement in the fishing mini game you may want to look into using an AutoHotKey or AutoIt script.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
For those of you having difficulty with the circular mouse movement in the fishing mini game you may want to look into using an AutoHotKey or AutoIt script.
If you have a touch-screen laptop, use your finger on your screen. I smoked all the fishing once I learned that.

Komisari

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2019
I'm gonna lie, the higher level fish are, hilariously, more annoying to catch than IRL fish that are a massive pain in the rear (ie: Gar) when you try to do it on a laptop. Kinda made me want a cast net and a fish bonker... This being said, I haven't touched this game since 0.1.2 was new, I will need to replay it to remember what the storyline was before the next update comes out, or wait for it and then just do a fresh playthough. Looking forward to seeing where stuff goes in CH1...especially if there isn't a significant need for the high level fish...those sucked...:cautious:
It's was not meant to be hard. The fishing will be much more easier next update.

ELSanchez

Jul 3, 2018
It's was not meant to be hard. The fishing will be much more easier next update.

I don't blame you, tbh I enjoyed the challenge, although I am somewhat loathe to admit that the bulk of the time I spent while playing a NSFW game was mastering the fishing system.

Alderon55

Jan 11, 2019
Just finished this version, had a really great time. Looking forward to more.

Komisari, you've got a real gem on your hands here, keep it up.

Ismjahson

Aug 14, 2018
Day 335. It's dark outside. The hope I felt all those months ago has slowly faded away. Will the wait be worth it? Find out next time in heroes harem guild (Release date TBA)

• Sad
Reactions: MirrorHead

Komisari

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2019
Just finished this version, had a really great time. Looking forward to more.

Komisari, you've got a real gem on your hands here, keep it up.
Thank you so much!
There's a lot of people who likes the game, that's why I'm trying to polish this "gem" as much as possible!

Doit93

Mar 1, 2020
since i havent given fishing that much attention in this game, what is there to gain by fishing? is it worth getting good at?

fleck

Aug 27, 2018
since i havent given fishing that much attention in this game, what is there to gain by fishing? is it worth getting good at?
Essentially, just XP and a possible source for income. Though you need to get some fish for some sidequest, which is luckily not that hard even with next to no experience in this minigame

Ismjahson

Aug 14, 2018
Hey, it looks pretty good. Especially for one month of work. Some "established" patreon milkers do not make that kind of content in half a year, having an entire dedicated team on their side. Even considering Koikatsu takes care of most assets and animations with presets and community resources, this is some extreme progress.
Looking forward to how it will turn out.
The irony, so much irony it's rusting.

Last edited:
4.40 star(s) 207 Votes