Komisari

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2019
I loved the prologue and I'm eagerly waiting for the update, but there's no way in hell I'm going to download 20 GB of stuff. Content creators often vastly overestimate the resolution/bitrate they think they need for their images/videos, which results in assets that are 10x what they should be: not everyone needs uber-4k-shiny quality, for many 720p is more than enough (it definitely is for me, I'll play on a laptop, not on a giant TV). I'll wait for a compressed version, that's for sure.
HHG's images are 1920x1080 compressed in webp and lossless. So, almost half of the original size.

It's not that HHG images are large... It's just that it has lots of images! xD
But yeah, it's still a lot.

Raf-Raf

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 4, 2019
HHG's images are 1920x1080 compressed in webp and lossless. So, almost half of the original size.

Jesus Christ that resolution.
My Toaster PC is going to explode the moment it starts, I can already see it happening.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017

"Lossless"? There's your problem then. You shouldn't be using lossless. 95% quality will be tiny compared to that, and I will bet that nobody would be able to tell the difference. "Half of the original size" is huge.
Though IIRC you have a lot of animations, way more than most other games, so it's likely that the encoding settings on those are affecting your size more than the stills.

Komisari

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2019
"Lossless"? There's your problem then. You shouldn't be using lossless. 95% quality will be tiny compared to that, and I will bet that nobody would be able to tell the difference. "Half of the original size" is huge.
Though IIRC you have a lot of animations, way more than most other games, so it's likely that the encoding settings on those are affecting your size more than the stills.
95% creates some sort of... blurry image that I don't really like. I know it compresses way more but for some reason, in renpy, those images have small bubbles/pixels that are noticeable, no matter what compression software I use.
It is not noticeable in a normal image viewer (I use infranView), but it is really, really noticeable in renpy.

One day, I found an online software that compressed those images by a lot and the bubbles/pixels disappeared, but it was impossible to do it via batch because it was some sort of personal project. So, I will guess there IS a way but I haven't continued searching for the solution.

Images are the one that takes the most size.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
95% creates some sort of... blurry image that I don't really like. I know it compresses way more but for some reason, in renpy, those images have small bubbles/pixels that are noticeable, no matter what compression software I use.
It is not noticeable in a normal image viewer (I use infranView), but it is really, really noticeable in renpy.

One day, I found an online software that compressed those images by a lot and the bubbles/pixels disappeared, but it was impossible to do it via batch because it was some sort of personal project. So, I will guess there IS a way but I haven't continued searching for the solution.

Images are the one that takes the most size.
That's weird, never heard of anything like that before. Try these three, I just compressed one of them quickly with the pieces of software that I use, maybe one of those will work. I tried dropping them in the game and I couldn't see anything anyway.

Oct 7, 2017
Please just release the lossless compressed version and other people can do the compressing like they do for almost every game on here it seems. I have tried a few compressed games on here before and it honestly makes them look like an garbled mess (especially on videos and on the darker parts of the image / video). While I do understand that some people need a compressed version I don't think this should be the norm on release.
You can compress existing Details down at any time beyond initial release but for the most part you can't un-compress Images once they've been through a lossy compression. I see it as taking away Details that can never be brought back and who knows - if in a year or two AI compression Algorythms start popping up that can do compression a lot better you could still compress that initial media down but you probably can't un-fuck media that have already been compressed to hell and back.
But hey that's just my opinion and who knows how far compression has come in the last year or so since I last had the (mis-)fortune of experiencing it first hand.

Edit: All of that, of course, only if actually getting to the images and replacing them with compressed versions is actually relatively problem-free, which, of course it is in RenPy. I'm absolutely not defending people that forbid people from modifying the game in that sense and then releasing that game with a gargantuan file-size.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Please just release the lossless compressed version and other people can do the compressing like they do for almost every game on here it seems. I have tried a few compressed games on here before and it honestly makes them look like an garbled mess (especially on videos and on the darker parts of the image / video). While I do understand that some people need a compressed version I don't think this should be the norm on release.
You can compress existing Details down at any time beyond initial release but for the most part you can't un-compress Images once they've been through a lossy compression. I see it as taking away Details that can never be brought back and who knows - if in a year or two AI compression Algorythms start popping up that can do compression a lot better you could still compress that initial media down but you probably can't un-fuck media that have already been compressed to hell and back.
But hey that's just my opinion and who knows how far compression has come in the last year or so since I last had the (mis-)fortune of experiencing it first hand.

Edit: All of that, of course, only if actually getting to the images and replacing them with compressed versions is actually relatively problem-free, which, of course it is in RenPy. I'm absolutely not defending people that forbid people from modifying the game in that sense and then releasing that game with a gargantuan file-size.
You do realise that very few people release games with lossless images, and that the "uncompressed" versions are actually compressed already, the "compressed" versions of games are just crunching things down beyond any reasonable level? They look like shit because they compress things way too far, not because they aren't lossless. And "the last few years"? Bitch, jpeg came out thirty years ago.

Oct 7, 2017
You do realise that very few people release games with lossless images, and that the "uncompressed" versions are actually compressed already, the "compressed" versions of games are just crunching things down beyond any reasonable level? They look like shit because they compress things way too far, not because they aren't lossless. And "the last few years"? Bitch, jpeg came out thirty years ago.
Hey man, I'm just on the consumer side of things when it comes to games - the only context in which I actually experienced compression was when file sizes actually changed a substantial ammount (like the 50% you were describing). In all of those cases it looked terrible and made me wary of claims like that. If the quality doesn't degrade (even on dark pictures or animations) like in the pictures you sent a few posts above mine which I unfortunately didn't notice the first time round I'm all for it.

The only place in wherein I actually have to work with compression algorythms / encoding is the rendering I do as a side job. And in my field it's actually actively discouraged to have any kind of lossy compression at all but I do see that having only a few Pictures of Objects from different Angles (normally exported in Multilayer EXR) and having hundreds if not thousands in a game is fundamentally different.

Sidenote: And what does that have to do with explicitely jpeg, can't you compress nearly every media filetype regardless of it being modern like avif or about as old as me like jpged (which is really weird now that I think about it...)?

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Hey man, I'm just on the consumer side of things when it comes to games - the only context in which I actually experienced compression was when file sizes actually changed a substantial ammount (like the 50% you were describing). In all of those cases it looked terrible and made me wary of claims like that. If the quality doesn't degrade (even on dark pictures or animations) like in the pictures you sent a few posts above mine which I unfortunately didn't notice the first time round I'm all for it.

The only place in wherein I actually have to work with compression algorythms / encoding is the rendering I do as a side job. And in my field it's actually actively discouraged to have any kind of lossy compression at all but I do see that having only a few Pictures of Objects from different Angles (normally exported in Multilayer EXR) and having hundreds if not thousands in a game is fundamentally different.

Sidenote: And what does that have to do with explicitely jpeg, can't you compress nearly every media filetype regardless of it being modern like avif or about as old as me like jpged (which is really weird now that I think about it...)?
There's a huge difference between pipeline and final published media, you use lossless in the pipeline because you are going to be saving it multiple times and stacking artefacts are a huge problem then. For final release of just about any media, lossy compression is used. And the point about jpeg is that perceptually lossless image compression is older than some of the members here. It's not a novel concept, even if more modern ones like webp do get slightly better results. Plenty of games release with jpeg images, which are like half the size of lossless webp based on the image I used as a test.

4.40 star(s) 207 Votes