deskt

Jul 24, 2018
You are misunderstanding the difference between expectation and obligation. What makes this situation technically not a scam is the absence of actual obligation (as others have pointed out) regardless of your expectations. Your example with a charity is inappropriate since a charity has legal obligations being registered as a charity.

What you expect and what the creator is obligated to do have to be inline for this to be a scam. So technically it's not a scam since the creator is not actually obligated to do anything since Patreon is simply a method of giving money to a creator; which not to be confused with paying them for work or buying a product. So the platform very much matters. Sorry, but that's what many people on here seem to misunderstand about Patreon.
You don't have to be "forced to do something" to be a scam...
the "hoax" is part of a "scam"
you can say "give me money and I'll do a painting" if you receive the money and don't do the painting it's a scam. Many scams are outlawed and when they come to trial they are filed as "scam", deceit, fraud, among others, are officially scams, cyber scams are something that happens... the only thing patreon does is make it "legal" what could be "illegal" patreon is "donation" so no matter what you do, you're no doing anything "illegal" but the "scam" is out law is concept of moral

ENOUGH!!!! I will not stand idle while you soil and tarnish the good name of a Dev that has done nothing but deliver tons and tons of content for the past years. Everyone here knows very well that all Patreon creators, specially the ones with most revenue, are cursed with constant unusual afflictions, natural disasters and probably also mystical ailments. It is not a secret that those guys make the majority of Dr House patients.

We've all seen an explorer file organized by date and therefore I'm absolutely sure that the update will be released on April 1st. You can call me a fool if I'm wrong about this.
every developer with more than 1k patreons suffers from something called a curse, many diseases, family problems, surgeries, some get covid like 8 times in a year, they even turn a flu into covid 25 XD

Last edited:

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
What gets me is if he is making this much money than pay some to a team to do the work and he can provide the story. Really he is making 3-4x more money than most people make a month. This way if he is sick he just needs to communicate the story and scenes he wants to see and let the artist and the game writer to create it.

DiTo

Aug 31, 2018
You don't have to be "forced to do something" to be a scam...
the "hoax" is part of a "scam"
you can say "give me money and I'll do a painting" if you receive the money and don't do the painting it's a scam. Many scams are outlawed and when they come to trial they are filed as "scam", deceit, fraud, among others, are officially scams, cyber scams are something that happens... the only thing patreon does is make it "legal" what could be "illegal" patreon is "donation" so no matter what you do, you're no doing anything "illegal" but the "scam" is out law is concept of moral
My man, first of all maybe read carefully to what you are replying to since I already addressed your main point in the post you are replying to... second of all maybe know what you are talking about...

1. If you are forced to do something it's not a scam at all... it's extortion, robbery, or possibly blackmail... depending on the reason it's 'forced'. Maybe figure out what a 'scam' is before trying to argue whether something is or isn't a scam.

2. Your example: "give me money and I'll do a painting" is inappropriate since it means that your are selling a painting. Patreon is not selling anything... it's a donation. If you are selling something you are obligating yourself to provide that item in exchange for money. Patreon on the other hand is not selling anything, you are donating to the creator.

That's what many on here seem to fail to understand. The difference between buying something, paying for something and donating to the creator.

Boopeeman

Jun 14, 2020
My man, first of all maybe read carefully to what you are replying to since I already addressed your main point in the post you are replying to... second of all maybe know what you are talking about...

1. If you are forced to do something it's not a scam at all... it's extortion, robbery, or possibly blackmail... depending on the reason it's 'forced'. Maybe figure out what a 'scam' is before trying to argue whether something is or isn't a scam.

2. Your example: "give me money and I'll do a painting" is inappropriate since it means that your are selling a painting. Patreon is not selling anything... it's a donation. If you are selling something you are obligating yourself to provide that item in exchange for money. Patreon on the other hand is not selling anything, you are donating to the creator.

That's what many on here seem to fail to understand. The difference between buying something, paying for something and donating to the creator.
If Komisari said the money was going into fixing his eyes and buying a new house it wouldn't be a scam. If there's no game it is a scam.

deskt

Jul 24, 2018

i pretty sure that you're the one that don't understand cuz i said that patreon is a donation so is no "illegal" you don't need to point in something that i already said it, and i never said that " If you are forced to do something" i said "You don't have to be forced to do something to be a scam" don't blame me if you didn't read well

Last edited:

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
You are misunderstanding the difference between expectation and obligation. What makes this situation technically not a scam is the absence of actual obligation (as others have pointed out) regardless of your expectations. Your example with a charity is inappropriate since a charity has legal obligations being registered as a charity.

What you expect and what the creator is obligated to do have to be inline for this to be a scam. So technically it's not a scam since the creator is not actually obligated to do anything since Patreon is simply a method of giving money to a creator; which not to be confused with paying them for work or buying a product. So the platform very much matters. Sorry, but that's what many people on here seem to misunderstand about Patreon.
Bullshit. If someone has a sign asking for money for food, they are not registered as a charity and they have no legal obligation to buy food, but if they spend the money on dope instead are you going to argue that they are not scamming people?

D95

Mar 16, 2018
Bullshit. If someone has a sign asking for money for food, they are not registered as a charity and they have no legal obligation to buy food, but if they spend the money on dope instead are you going to argue that they are not scamming people?
You guys really love fallacious logic and misleading comparisons.
If you catch a beggar red-handed, spending all the money you gave him for dope, while he indicated it was for food, ofc it is a scam. He was clearly indicating that he was going to buy food with that.
Now, let's see how it compares to this game's dev, or any creator on Patreon : did you catch Komi spending all the money for buying a mansion ? He is definitely working on the project, just very slowly, and always adding 10 new tasks as soon as he finishes one. You had plenty of time for realising this and cancelling your sub, just like you could stop giving money to your local beggar if your realised he did not only buy food, but quite a lot of alcool with this.
Accusing him of scamming you would be like accusing the beggar because he did not only buy healthy food that YOU EXPECTED him to buy.

Last edited:

Thatguy8888

Sep 28, 2020
If Komisari said the money was going into fixing his eyes and buying a new house it wouldn't be a scam. If there's no game it is a scam.
I would argue that working eyes would be necessary to develop the game...

Maybe the art was the arguments wr had along the way.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
You guys really love fallacious logic and misleading comparisons.
If you catch a beggar red-handed, spending all the money you gave him for dope, while he indicated it was for food, ofc it is a scam. He was clearly indicating that he was going to buy food with that.
Now, let's see how it compares to this game's dev, or any creator on Patreon : did you catch Komi spending all the money for buying a mansion ? He is definitely working on the project, just very slowly, and always adding 10 new tasks as soon as he finishes one. You had plenty of time for realising this and cancelling your sub, just like you could stop giving money to your local beggar if your realised he did not only buy food, but quite a lot of alcool with this.
Accusing him of scamming you would be like accusing the beggar because he did not only buy healthy food that YOU EXPECTED him to buy.
So... "it's only a scam if you get caught"? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Silverthorn

Apr 7, 2020

A promise is an obligation. Just because the platform does not have a requirement does not change this simple fact. Komisari made promises. People believed those promises. People supported based upon those promises. Those promises were lies. That is a scam.

Silverthorn

Apr 7, 2020
The sentence is still correct, you just removed the most important part so that it would better fit your fallacious logic. And then, you dare state that I am the one arguing about semantics.
How is "what he already did" the most important part of the sentence and not "what he pretends to be doing"? You did not emphasize one over the other, and you cannot, because you have no way of knowing what the reasoning is for every person that has given him money. The fact that you can completely ignore your own words is telling. For every person who has ever given him money because of "what he pretends to be doing" it is a scam. Can you argue that?

For somebody who is so concerned about taking just part of an argument you seem to do it rather well. Did you ignore the other examples I gave, such as fake bank email scams, Nigerian prince email scams, and Ponzi schemes? Of course you did. The funny thing is that the charity example also wasn't misleading. A promise broken is a promise broken. Just because there are no laws specifically against lying to your patreon supporters doesn't make it not a scam. There is also no law that specifically says that you can't pretend to be a billionaire who needs you to send him money to escape his country, and he will pay you millions for it.

"Fraud is a term that refers to the use of intentional deception to gain something of value, usually money. Fraud is generally committed through the use of false statements, misrepresentation, or dishonest conduct intended to mislead or deceive."

MooseMager

Dec 11, 2017
It is not a scam, you wrote it yourself : on Patreon, you don't like what the creator is doing, just unsub. What kind of retard logic brings so many people to talk about scamming ?
You are not buying a product, nor you are paying to be the creator's manager. You pay for whatever you want to support. As lazy as Komi can be, he is not scamming anyone. He is lying a lot about his work, but his patrons willingly give him money for what he already did, and what he pretends to be doing. Not happy ? Stop supporting.
It's so fucking boring to read the same arguments over and over. Literally tells nothing about society, only about butthurt crybabies
Not even going to unpack this verbal diarrhea where you contradict yourself over & over and explain nothing. Ironic how your final sentence complains about crybabies which is essentially your entire rant & post history, crying at people for calling out scummy "devs".

HEY GUYS, THAT SNAKE OIL SALESMAN AINT A SCAMMER BECAUSE YOU CLEARLY DECIDED TO GIVE THEM MONEY!!!11!!

Stop acting like a clown goof, D95.

4.40 star(s) 207 Votes