ErisT

Mar 13, 2020
Yes, I put manual pauses during commas and ".".
This is the way I've been doing in Chapter 1, I wanted the game to be slower and have a more cinematic feeling.

I'm glad someone is talking about this because it was one of my biggest doubts, seems like some people don't actually like it. They just want to click and advance dialogue.

For now, seems like people is not complaining but some users are not happy about it; I have two solutions for now:
- Using HALF the time I use for small breaks. So It's more natural but there's still that feel.
- Add an option in preferences to disable this.

I think that with an option to disable it people would be happy!
I can definitely tell you were trying to give it a more cinematic feeling, so no worries, because that does come across! I think both of those solutions would be fantastic. Glad to know this was something already on your radar. I do read every line, so it's not like I'm clicking through to skip dialogue or anything. It might affect me more just because I'm a fast reader, so I felt "interrupted" by it more frequently.

Thanks for the response, much love!

Komisari

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2019
>Taking thousands a month.
"Small breaks"
>Two years with no update.
Don't act like you work 40 hours a week on this thing buddy. :LUL:
Hello, please, play the update and check the quality and the differences between the prologue and the new one.

Do you really think that I could improve my design from one night to the other?
Don't act like the download is not two clicks away, buddy

Reactions: HogRocket

Gojii

Oct 29, 2019
Hello, please, play the update and check the quality and the differences between the prologue and the new one.

Do you really think that I could improve my design from one night to the other?
Don't act like the download is not two clicks away, buddy
My guy, you took two years pulling in a fat stack before you drop content that was four months late. Don't act like you weren't goofing around for months on end and maybe putting a few hours a week or a month on this. Don't be ridiculous. I don't need to play this to know what's up.

Kitsune241

Aug 25, 2017
Using HALF the time I use for small breaks. So It's more natural but there's still that feel.
>Taking thousands a month.
"Small breaks"
>Two years with no update.
Don't act like you work 40 hours a week on this thing buddy. :LUL:
Dude...
Dude.

"Small breaks" referred to smaller pauses in the displaying of ingame text, not in working on the game.

I get that you're mad, but at least be mad at the right thing.

Reactions: gellion

CoomerKing

Sup
Donor
Jan 8, 2018
Finally decided to download and play it, and I find it fucking hilarious that you have to answer questions about the game when it's been almost two years since most played it. No flame or anything, just find it funny.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Komisari

Wiarkane

Mar 14, 2021
I have a problem when I turn on the game and it asks me to update directly, but I have the latest version, so the game is very slow.

Erick101

Dec 27, 2019
All the hate this man gets for a game us plebs get to play for free is crazy

The quality of this new update proves the dude has been working hard. If its anything like the chapter 1 update yall are gunna be seething lmao.

Keep up the good work Komi.
I mean you can't blame them it has been two years

Gojii

Oct 29, 2019
Alright, hold up.... wait a freaking minute.......this shit isn't paywalled? :FacePalm:

The way people were talking.... WTF. Alright, if so I'll own up and retract the shittalking. I got zero beef with the dev then. Do your thing then bro. :LUL:

Zenovar

Mar 18, 2023
Yes, I put manual pauses during commas and ".".
This is the way I've been doing in Chapter 1, I wanted the game to be slower and have a more cinematic feeling.

I'm glad someone is talking about this because it was one of my biggest doubts, seems like some people don't actually like it. They just want to click and advance dialogue.

For now, seems like people is not complaining but some users are not happy about it; I have two solutions for now:
- Using HALF the time I use for small breaks. So It's more natural but there's still that feel.
- Add an option in preferences to disable this.

I think that with an option to disable it people would be happy!
Disclaimer: I have not yet played the game, so I don't know if you made it force a pause (meaning clicking doesn't skip it). I'd normally check, but the download is a bit too big to just do that. So with that out of the way...

I've spent a few hundred hours in Ren'Py and I think the itself says it best:
"In general, using hard pauses is rude. When the user clicks to advance the game, it's an explicit request - the user wishes the game to advance. To override that request is to assume you understand what the player wants more than the player does.

Calling renpy.pause guarantees that whatever is on the screen will be displayed for at least one frame, and hence has been shown to the player.

tl;dr - Don't use renpy.pause with hard=True."
That goes for dialogue as well.

Of course, a toggle to disable that is perfectly fine because you give the user the choice.

wolfxavier

Jan 16, 2019
There is a new patch, guys.
I've made a ticket to upload it.

I will try to wait for a while to see if anyone else has a strange problem, if they don't I will pack the game again and post it so people don't have problems anymore.

THIS PATCH SHOULD FIX ALMOST EVERY PROLOGUE BUG for now.
I really have to use Chapter 1 systems as soon as possible, working with 2 years old code is not funny. xD

EDIT: Updated fix from b to c. Fixed Delilah talk.
Uhm, I might be a little stupid, but where should I put the patch?

Komisari

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2019
Disclaimer: I have not yet played the game, so I don't know if you made it force a pause (meaning clicking doesn't skip it). I'd normally check, but the download is a bit too big to just do that. So with that out of the way...

I've spent a few hundred hours in Ren'Py and I think the itself says it best:
"In general, using hard pauses is rude. When the user clicks to advance the game, it's an explicit request - the user wishes the game to advance. To override that request is to assume you understand what the player wants more than the player does.

Calling renpy.pause guarantees that whatever is on the screen will be displayed for at least one frame, and hence has been shown to the player.

tl;dr - Don't use renpy.pause with hard=True."
That goes for dialogue as well.

Of course, a toggle to disable that is perfectly fine because you give the user the choice.
I've read that, yep.
I don't think I'm hurting anyone with a .1 micro delay in dialogues, BUT still, I can understand some people don't like it.

I use hard pauses for transitions between scenes because, as I said, I want to give a cinematic look by using a slow transition and proper timings for dialogue. When a user sees a black screen, he clicks, without the hard pause, this would make the image TO INSTANTLY appear without any kind of... you know... for me, it looks horrible when a game does that with transitions XD.

And, as always, you can INSTANTLY skip all of this if you are skipping. I'm not forcing you to see all those "cool transitions".
If I make a preference, will be to remove the .1 delay on dialogues.
But I will never let the user skips transitions with a single click. I think Hero's Harem Guild could be different than other VNs.

Dj_Astro

Aug 22, 2018
I mean you can't blame them it has been two years
Honestly it just comes across as extremely entitled. I want the update as much as everyone else but you don't see me whining about it.

Game development takes time and if you rush it its gunna come out bad. Instead of being patient they throw vitriol at the dev like that is gunna encourage him or something. If people don't get they're instant gratification they throw a temper tantrum, its honestly so dumb man.

Jul 17, 2020
I've tested this, it doesn't happen for me and the code seems fine. It's weird.
game works fine when i commented out the eval line in lucy's event and i think the eval in splashscreen still works (doesnt cause errors on startup (my pc was cold i just woke up so it for sure didn't load old data from RAM))
nvm got error on load save for update.rpy selebus eval

Last edited:

Devka

May 8, 2017
my history with this 11 gb file...
- open mega
- dowload the first 5 gb
- mega say limit reached
- went to bed
- next day restarted
- limit reached again with missing 2 gb
- wait that 5-8 hours