JLucci

Mar 31, 2018
Anyone playing the prologue again figure out what that plant at the market park lake is there for?

asdcvb

Feb 6, 2019
So first of all, let me just say that the game has improved a lot.

I already thought the graphics in Hero's Harem Guild was the best use
of illusion graphics I had ever seen at the time of the prologue release, and now it looks 5x better.

It's clear to me that a lot of the time these last years have gone into improving your own skill-set.
Regardless of a discussion on the communication, time it took etc.

Stuff looks a lot better, even more importantly to me though, the sex scenes are now voiced,
which increase my opinion of every game that does that tenfolds. It just makes everything so much better.

The update reminded me off why I adore this game, and the characters.

However I have one question and one hopefully constructive piece of criticism:

Question: Why no scenes with Sunny? My favorite character. I realize it's related to chapter 1 plot somehow. Just my personal dissapointment.

Hopefully constructive criticism:
Bear with me, it's kind of hard to get my point across. Replaying parts of the prologue, I have realized this have always been the case in the game. It just didn't use to bother me, but after these 2 years playing other games than this one, it feels very jarring.

The game feels like it is forcing me to fight for progressing scenes. There are so many cases where I am just spamming my mouse, clicking like 10 times before It finally changes to the next scene. It grinds on my patience, and feels like padding out the time it takes to play what Is currently a pretty short (while high in animations and updates) seasonal update.

One specific example of what I mean: When MC grapples onto a beam in the dojo during the winter season right after the dialogue "This gift has become even better than I anticipated". The main animation of MC's face, then the grapple hitting the beam is paced reasonably, but then in the next frame when MC is sitting on the beam, we are stuck just looking at that frame for 5 whole seconds while spamming the mouse to forward to the next part. I had already registered the scene I am looking at within the first 300-500 ms. I don't need to be looking at it for 4.5 more seconds If I am not actively chosing to not hit my mouse because I am making the ACTIVE choice to look more at the scene.

Then we have a "..." dialogue, adding even more time and opportunity for us to study the scene anyways (not complaining about the ... dialogue, pointing out the forced 5 seconds is entirely uneccesary), and two more thought dialogue boxes (internal monologue) then also play with the exact same scene (no expression change, or scenary change). Again, I have to read 3 pieces of dialogue looking at the scene, I am not going to miss the hard work you put into the graphics, you don't need to force me to study it for 5 seconds.

There are sooooo many examples of this. And I don't even know the term for what is happening here. After Shana runs away at the start of the season, it fades to a black screen, and we can't press the mouse to go past that transition for like 3 seconds. (why?). I press the mouse when I've realized what the scene was telling me, as soon as I register the fade-to-black and footsteps I get what you are telling me, and want to progress. Why do I need to sit there for 2 seconds wondering when my mouse will have any input on the game again, it doesn't add more story-telling.

I have auto-forward time to max, thought that might be related to this, but isn't making any difference. Dialogue slowdowns are disabled and so are dialogue paused. And somehow, this problem still remains. (text speed on max doesn't help either)

In no other H game have I ever consistently been tweaking settings in the options page trying to fix the pacing. They just let me control it myself. It's hard to explain why it feels off or what makes it happen, as I have just never experienced this before. In all other games I just feel like I naturally control the pacing and it always fits my pace perfectly. I haven't even used text-speed setting before this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrttao and WSmith
Mar 6, 2021
There are sooooo many examples of this. And I don't even know the term for what is happening here.
It's called a style, you dork.
Just look at all of these precious $pause
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Why do you hate them?

Although, you can just turn on Skip Unseen Text and then skip them by pressing Ctrl button :KappaPride:

asdcvb

Feb 6, 2019
It's called a style, you dork.
Just look at all of these precious $pause
Why do you hate them?

Although, you can just turn on Skip Unseen Text and then skip them by pressing Ctrl button :KappaPride:
I don't want to skip text? Thought that's obvious.
I'm perfectly fine with you enjoying the style. To each their own.

To me that just looks like removing player control, but if you enjoy it that's fine. I'm not asking for it to be permanently removed from the game, but it would be really nice to have the option to disable them.

Even if he doesn't add the option ill still play the game, because I love the characters and the story. But it drives me insane clicking my way through the dialogue normally, and then my clicks just suddenly not doing anything for 5 seconds. Am I supposed to let go of my mouse? How long till it will react again. I don't have any way of knowing. So, i just end up spamming the mouse feeling frustrated at the guessing game.

It's the same feeling I feel when I watch y-t in a sofa, and then an ad come on and I have to reach for the controller and press skip all the sudden. Just in reverse, I let go of the controller all the sudden. And there is no yellow bar informing me im in an ad, so letting go of the controller also feels dumb, so I just end up spamming the skip button till it works again.

Reactions: JLucci and Greily

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
I don't want to skip text? Thought that's obvious.
I'm perfectly fine with you enjoying the style. To each their own.

To me that just looks like removing player control, but if you enjoy it that's fine. I'm not asking for it to be permanently removed from the game, but it would be really nice to have the option to disable them.

Even if he doesn't add the option ill still play the game, because I love the characters and the story. But it drives me insane clicking my way through the dialogue normally, and then my clicks just suddenly not doing anything for 5 seconds. Am I supposed to let go of my mouse? How long till it will react again. I don't have any way of knowing. So, i just end up spamming the mouse feeling frustrated at the guessing game.

It's the same feeling I feel when I watch y-t in a sofa, and then an ad come on and I have to reach for the controller and press skip all the sudden. Just in reverse, I let go of the controller all the sudden. And there is no yellow bar informing me im in an ad, so letting go of the controller also feels dumb, so I just end up spamming the skip button till it works again.
Curious do you have your sound turned up? Many times these pause is the sound effects.. like he showed door opening, door closing, and than you hear walking. If you don't have your sound turned up than all you are seeing is a 5 second black screen.

asdcvb

Feb 6, 2019
Curious do you have your sound turned up? Many times these pause is the sound effects.. like he showed door opening, door closing, and than you hear walking. If you don't have your sound turned up than all you are seeing is a 5 second black screen.
Yes I do, as I referred to with the sounds of foot-steps. I don't mind the pauses for the sound-effect. It just when it extends beyond that or there isn't even a sound effect playing. Like the 5 seconds of just looking at the MC sitting on the pole as mentioned.

If it was always just pausing for the length of the sfx I would be gaining new content of some form because of the pause, and I would know when my input will take effect again (when the sfx stops playing). Just don't enjoy pauses that I don't feel like add anything to my enjoyment + I have no way of knowing the length off.

Sfx usage in the game is great :D especially with the winter special.

Last edited:

Komisari

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2019
So first of all, let me just say that the game has improved a lot.

I already thought the graphics in Hero's Harem Guild was the best use
of illusion graphics I had ever seen at the time of the prologue release, and now it looks 5x better.

It's clear to me that a lot of the time these last years have gone into improving your own skill-set.
Regardless of a discussion on the communication, time it took etc.

Stuff looks a lot better, even more importantly to me though, the sex scenes are now voiced,
which increase my opinion of every game that does that tenfolds. It just makes everything so much better.

The update reminded me off why I adore this game, and the characters.

However I have one question and one hopefully constructive piece of criticism:

Question: Why no scenes with Sunny? My favorite character. I realize it's related to chapter 1 plot somehow. Just my personal dissapointment.

Hopefully constructive criticism:
Bear with me, it's kind of hard to get my point across. Replaying parts of the prologue, I have realized this have always been the case in the game. It just didn't use to bother me, but after these 2 years playing other games than this one, it feels very jarring.

The game feels like it is forcing me to fight for progressing scenes. There are so many cases where I am just spamming my mouse, clicking like 10 times before It finally changes to the next scene. It grinds on my patience, and feels like padding out the time it takes to play what Is currently a pretty short (while high in animations and updates) seasonal update.

One specific example of what I mean: When MC grapples onto a beam in the dojo during the winter season right after the dialogue "This gift has become even better than I anticipated". The main animation of MC's face, then the grapple hitting the beam is paced reasonably, but then in the next frame when MC is sitting on the beam, we are stuck just looking at that frame for 5 whole seconds while spamming the mouse to forward to the next part. I had already registered the scene I am looking at within the first 300-500 ms. I don't need to be looking at it for 4.5 more seconds If I am not actively chosing to not hit my mouse because I am making the ACTIVE choice to look more at the scene.

Then we have a "..." dialogue, adding even more time and opportunity for us to study the scene anyways (not complaining about the ... dialogue, pointing out the forced 5 seconds is entirely uneccesary), and two more thought dialogue boxes (internal monologue) then also play with the exact same scene (no expression change, or scenary change). Again, I have to read 3 pieces of dialogue looking at the scene, I am not going to miss the hard work you put into the graphics, you don't need to force me to study it for 5 seconds.

There are sooooo many examples of this. And I don't even know the term for what is happening here. After Shana runs away at the start of the season, it fades to a black screen, and we can't press the mouse to go past that transition for like 3 seconds. (why?). I press the mouse when I've realized what the scene was telling me, as soon as I register the fade-to-black and footsteps I get what you are telling me, and want to progress. Why do I need to sit there for 2 seconds wondering when my mouse will have any input on the game again, it doesn't add more story-telling.

I have auto-forward time to max, thought that might be related to this, but isn't making any difference. Dialogue slowdowns are disabled and so are dialogue paused. And somehow, this problem still remains. (text speed on max doesn't help either)

In no other H game have I ever consistently been tweaking settings in the options page trying to fix the pacing. They just let me control it myself. It's hard to explain why it feels off or what makes it happen, as I have just never experienced this before. In all other games I just feel like I naturally control the pacing and it always fits my pace perfectly. I haven't even used text-speed setting before this game.
Yes I do, as I referred to with the sounds of foot-steps. I don't mind the pauses for the sound-effect. It just when it extends beyond that or there isn't even a sound effect playing. Like the 5 seconds of just looking at the MC sitting on the pole as mentioned.

If it was always just pausing for the length of the sfx I would be gaining new content of some form because of the pause, and I would know when my input will take effect again (when the sfx stops playing). Just don't enjoy pauses that I don't feel like add anything to my enjoyment + I have no way of knowing the length off.

Sfx usage in the game is great :D especially with the winter special.
My bad. I tried to force everyone to try to see it the way I would like HHG to be seeing, more like a cinematic/movie than a VN.
Thanks to the feedback I've received, I will change this.

I've made some changes already for the dialogue slowdowns and the dialogue micro pauses, but It's obvious that there is something that needs to be changed.

During all these years I've adapted to some sort of slow/cinematic way of doing stuff that I LOVED. But, I didn't have any feedback about it.

I will stop using the hard pauses when it's not for sound effects!
I will go back to the traditional Komi, the legendary "..." text XD

Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions!

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
My bad. I tried to force everyone to try to see it the way I would like HHG to be seeing, more like a cinematic/movie than a VN.
Thanks to the feedback I've received, I will change this.

I've made some changes already for the dialogue slowdowns and the dialogue micro pauses, but It's obvious that there is something that needs to be changed.

During all these years I've adapted to some sort of slow/cinematic way of doing stuff that I LOVED. But, I didn't have any feedback about it.

I will stop using the hard pauses when it's not for sound effects!
I will go back to the traditional Komi, the legendary "..." text XD

Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions!
I thought the pauses were good.. it's him thinking.. him looking.. Maybe have an option where the very few can turn it off.. basically if there was a way to say.. ignore pauses. But look at the reviews he is the only person I have seen complain about the effect of the pauses. I have not seen anyone say they do not like it. Many of us want to be in the story and feel like the character and it worked.

Mar 6, 2021
he is the only person I have seen complain about the effect of the pauses.
Okay, I'll be a second then, because I got aneurysm from those pauses so I dipped into the code to figure out what the fuck is wrong with that game.
Although I'm not sure if RenPy is capable to skip those pauses. Like... Doubleclick to ignore/proceed.

Reactions: WSmith

Komisari

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2019
I thought the pauses were good.. it's him thinking.. him looking.. Maybe have an option where the very few can turn it off.. basically if there was a way to say.. ignore pauses. But look at the reviews he is the only person I have seen complain about the effect of the pauses. I have not seen anyone say they do not like it. Many of us want to be in the story and feel like the character and it worked.
I was thinking of making them an option, just like the dialogue slow down and pause preferences that I added.
So, as a base, you will see all the small pauses in dialogue, the slow dialogue, and the hard pauses... But you can disable it!

Reactions: molitar

Komisari

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2019
Okay, I'll be a second then, because I got aneurysm from those pauses so I dipped into the code to figure out what the fuck is wrong with that game.
Although I'm not sure if RenPy is capable to skip those pauses. Like... Doubleclick to ignore/proceed.
I could easily add a preference to skip those or make them end when you click.

Reactions: Greily

Dringar

Nov 16, 2019
So loaded up the patch shows the new ver on the load so good to go. Went to the Lake at midnight and immediately got C2D. Guessing something somewhere is still off?
I can load you the save if you like?

cavemeng

Aug 10, 2020
when i first downloaded and started up the game it told me i needed to download a windows update when i tried to update it i was told i have a better version of the update now the game has constant black flashes throughout the game is there any way to fix this?

Komisari

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2019
So loaded up the patch shows the new ver on the load so good to go. Went to the Lake at midnight and immediately got C2D. Guessing something somewhere is still off?
I can load you the save if you like?
Are you sure it's a real crash screen?

Reactions: Dringar
4.40 star(s) 207 Votes