jikorde

Mar 4, 2018
I walked on the beach with her. Haven't gotten the beach coke scene or the elevator scene yet.

Ah well, whatever. Guess I'll ignore it for now and come back to it later
I'm pretty sure the coke scene needs to have happened. Honestly I though that scene was the start of the quest... Anyway. Poker, coke, reward twice is I think the order to get her to talk. If that doesn't work go through all her older scenes with text skip set to seen only so you can tell when something new happens. Then go back to the reward scene. At no point should you need to talk to someone else until after the reward talk happens.

DuckSwim

Jan 19, 2018
All new renders are in 1920x1080 resolution and in webp format since 19th December.

So thats already done and in a picture format with less quality loss than the old ones.

As for redoing all the old renders in that, well now, thats a different story.

I seem to recall (cant remember where I recall it from, a patreon post I think) that the character renders would get that treatment as the room visit logic (where some of their character renders are used) was matured, dont believe there are any plans currently to run over the entire render base though.

DuckSwim

Jan 19, 2018
The difference between the older setup and the new is also manifested in the updated patreon tier girl quality.
To show it off a bit,

- The older ones are the normal characters render (to the left) used for the patreon supporter tier girls
- The new ones are the higher resolution setup used now (to the other left :p)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Tiers shown in their normal order.
So before Brenda was tier 1, Renee tier 2 and Alice tier 3.
Now Lacey is the tier 1 girl, Jennifer tier 2 and Jessica tier 3 (*) (**)

Personally I find it easiest to see at the faces to begin with and once noticed it becomes very apparent.
The older ones are "fuzzy" when you start looking at the details, the new ones are sharp all the time.

(*) Which for those into easter eggs also means that Darkhound is now using 3 girls not in the patreon page banner (which has 9 of the 18 girls in the game) for tier girls and is therefore showing 12 of the 18 girls the game has

(**) And for the advanced easter egg seachers, each tier girls is now the most popular of her subtype, that is not already in the banner (Lacey for Small, Jennifer for Specials and Jessica for Core).

What can I say, being a voting patreon really counts in HI :)

ujmyhntgb

Nov 11, 2018
Thank you very much!Good game!
Darkhound1 has talked about that previously in this thread. Do a bit of searching. But the answer was like there are to many of them (thousands) to re-render them all at higher res.
Edit: see this link
but there are others.

ujmyhntgb

Nov 11, 2018
All new renders are in 1920x1080 resolution and in webp format since 19th December.

So thats already done and in a picture format with less quality loss than the old ones.

As for redoing all the old renders in that, well now, thats a different story.

I seem to recall (cant remember where I recall it from, a patreon post I think) that the character renders would get that treatment as the room visit logic (where some of their character renders are used) was matured, dont believe there are any plans currently to run over the entire render base though.
Thank you very much!

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
There are a couple of problems to "convert" all the renders to 1920x1080.

There are two main possibilities in Ren'py to "overlay" several images.
First one is to use a "show image" statements. Using that allows to resize and use subpixels to get better overlays without rough edges. You don't have any functionality in that case though.
Second is is to use what is called "image buttons". They cannot use subpixel and when you resize and overlay them they don't look good at the edges. But it's the only way to have clickable image objects like with the characters in all the general gameplay screens.

If the game is 1280x720 (as it is now), you have to resize every image that is 1920x1080 to rougly 0.667. Doing that will unfortunately reduce the quality when you are on the second option. What helps is using 2560x1440 and resize with 0.5. But this means even bigger images.
Since the game uses a lot of common code for the basic stuff, I can't simply change 10% of the images and make them higher resolution. The code is the same for all of them, but it would need to be adjusted to be able to auto detect the resolution and resize the images accordingly. Even now this is tricky, because a lot of the Ivy images already have a different resolution, simply due to her huge size. But in that case the image should not be reduced in size. She just is that big. So it would mean a lot of "IF"s and complicated stuff to make it all work. In addition the images with the characters are not 1280x720 but some smaller resolution (e.g. 400x600). Resiszig "partial" images and positioning can be tricky.

There are almost 5k renders in the game right now - so redoing all of them is next to impossible.
Some of them have been rendered in 1920x1080 or even bigger, so in that case at least I wouldn't have to render them again. It's mabye about 20% of the images. All the others would have to be rendered again.
All the newer stuff (end of november or something) is rendered in 2560x1440 native resolution. This might sound strange, but I do that to save time. Rendering a huge image to 75% is often faster than rendering a full HD image to 100%. Using that approach I also have the possibility to let the 2560x1440 image render to completion and use it in that resolution for the game. This gives the possibility to zoom in to factor 2.0 without any visible quality loss.

I post work each and every one of my images! Yes, I really do that :)
So even if I have the original files in good resolution, it takes time to do the post work again.
Some are overlays of 2, 3 or even 4 partial renders that are combined in photoshop. This also has to be done another time.

For some renders I do no longer have the original scenes or I cannot find them any more.
This may sound strange, but it's related how Daz Studio handles a scene with different "frames". Very often you mess up frame 1 when you change something in frame 2 without even noticing it. So after the file has been saved, render 1 is lost.

I'm thinking about rendering the Amy dinner appointment again, to see how long it takes.
I wanted to add some new content and change some texts in this one anyway, so it's a good "test".

ujmyhntgb

Nov 11, 2018
There are a couple of problems to "convert" all the renders to 1920x1080.

There are two main possibilities in Ren'py to "overlay" several images.
First one is to use a "show image" statements. Using that allows to resize and use subpixels to get better overlays without rough edges. You don't have any functionality in that case though.
Second is is to use what is called "image buttons". They cannot use subpixel and when you resize and overlay them they don't look good at the edges. But it's the only way to have clickable image objects like with the characters in all the general gameplay screens.

If the game is 1280x720 (as it is now), you have to resize every image that is 1920x1080 to rougly 0.667. Doing that will unfortunately reduce the quality when you are on the second option. What helps is using 2560x1440 and resize with 0.5. But this means even bigger images.
Since the game uses a lot of common code for the basic stuff, I can't simply change 10% of the images and make them higher resolution. The code is the same for all of them, but it would need to be adjusted to be able to auto detect the resolution and resize the images accordingly. Even now this is tricky, because a lot of the Ivy images already have a different resolution, simply due to her huge size. But in that case the image should not be reduced in size. She just is that big. So it would mean a lot of "IF"s and complicated stuff to make it all work. In addition the images with the characters are not 1280x720 but some smaller resolution (e.g. 400x600). Resiszig "partial" images and positioning can be tricky.

There are almost 5k renders in the game right now - so redoing all of them is next to impossible.
Some of them have been rendered in 1920x1080 or even bigger, so in that case at least I wouldn't have to render them again. It's mabye about 20% of the images. All the others would have to be rendered again.
All the newer stuff (end of november or something) is rendered in 2560x1440 native resolution. This might sound strange, but I do that to save time. Rendering a huge image to 75% is often faster than rendering a full HD image to 100%. Using that approach I also have the possibility to let the 2560x1440 image render to completion and use it in that resolution for the game. This gives the possibility to zoom in to factor 2.0 without any visible quality loss.

I post work each and every one of my images! Yes, I really do that :)
So even if I have the original files in good resolution, it takes time to do the post work again.
Some are overlays of 2, 3 or even 4 partial renders that are combined in photoshop. This also has to be done another time.

For some renders I do no longer have the original scenes or I cannot find them any more.
This may sound strange, but it's related how Daz Studio handles a scene with different "frames". Very often you mess up frame 1 when you change something in frame 2 without even noticing it. So after the file has been saved, render 1 is lost.

I'm thinking about rendering the Amy dinner appointment again, to see how long it takes.
I wanted to add some new content and change some texts in this one anyway, so it's a good "test".
Your explanation is very clear! I wish you every success in your work! Thank you!

DuckSwim

Jan 19, 2018
Even now this is tricky, because a lot of the Ivy images already have a different resolution, simply due to her huge size. But in that case the image should not be reduced in size. She just is that big.
Okay, this is totally not what Darkhounds post was about, but I read Ivy and big while looking at Jennifer in those high heels, and got the notion of needing two monitors stacked on top of each other to ever see Ivy in high heels while up close. So since I cant stop myself, baaaad humor incoming :)

(next part should be read in the voice of an old episodic super hero cartoon)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Yeah I know, bad humor, but all in good fun and I did warn people :)

(And of course I do rather enjoy Ivy, would be one heck of a render that managed her in heels and up close, think her arrival picture is the one getting closest currently and the heels are partially cut out of the picture there)

titmanassguy

Jan 18, 2018
Finally got the Heather and Jessica scene to work. Think the key is Jessica can't be there when you take Heather for a walk, but she has to be on the beach 30 minutes later. Took awhile before I could get it to sync up like that, but finally did and it worked. Do have 1 other question though. Is it possible to get caught when spying on a girl showering or masturbating without lowing the MC's hacking/sneaking skill?

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
Finally got the Heather and Jessica scene to work. Think the key is Jessica can't be there when you take Heather for a walk, but she has to be on the beach 30 minutes later. Took awhile before I could get it to sync up like that, but finally did and it worked. Do have 1 other question though. Is it possible to get caught when spying on a girl showering or masturbating without lowing the MC's hacking/sneaking skill?
Hi,
I've added the possibility to get caught on puprpose in the check. But it has to be "activated" for each check, since it doesn't make sense as a general rule. If you've found a spot where it makes sense, please describe it as precise as possible so that I can find it. E.g. The scene + the exact text before the sneak check. Then I will change the check to allow for a fail on purpose.

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
Hi all

Why did the new update take so long?
What time does it not exactly specify? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You're kidding, right?
Answer to your first question has 3 emmm... 4 parts:
1. Christmas and end of year got in the way
2. I was ill
3. There is a lot of new content and functionality
4. Patrons don't pay me enough - so I have to delay the release, although it's finished since 8 weeks <- just in case someone didn't notice - this one is supposed to be a joke
Answer to your second question: yes

Sorry everyone else for having to read this - couldn't resist :rolleyes:

Decode

Aug 25, 2017
You're kidding, right?
2. I was ill
4. Patrons don't pay me enough - so I have to delay the release, although it's finished since 8 weeks <- just in case someone didn't notice - this one is supposed to be a joke

Its ok man
The new update is going to be released when its ready
so wait :)

shotyme101

Dec 31, 2018
You're kidding, right?
2. I was ill

great game my man. i will be a patron tomorrow. love the game. just hope more scenes with jennifer and yuki. and the other girls who didnt have many scenes. thanks for the game and look forward to more

4.10 star(s) 219 Votes