2.70 star(s) 15 Votes

SakaiY

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah poses are a weakpoint of mine. I think I overcorrect when I clean up the sketch and just push it straighter and straighter.

This likely won't be the last time I redo the artwork for her (especially since the game's likely to take 4 more years, not 2 like my original planning showed) So I'm not too worried as I know I'll keep doing my best to continue improving and practicing!
That’s the motivation needed to improve! I wish you all the best, and I’ll be sure sticking around to see how this all plays out.

Reactions: hgameartman

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
how to fix this?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That looks to be a save-corruption error I was grappling with in earlier versions. Don't think there's a fix, unfortunately, but I would love to know what happened right before you last saved so I can trace and fix it!

I would recommend saving on 2-3 slots as the game isn't perfect in terms of bugs. I am trying my best to fix them all though!

Cant wait to see all the new artwork... though I'll happily wait...
Thanks! Still a lot of work left to do for the new artwork, as mentioned, so it might be a while for everything to be implemented! Slimes are coming up soon on the list too, cause the artwork there for sure need to be redone! (and while I'm at it... why not add a little bit more to it!)

Reactions: KMN

Domitori

Apr 16, 2020
Is it appropriate to comment on the artwork stiffness? It's almost like a T-pose in 3d models, but with hands down. Reminds me of a military posture. :)
In all regards, I do understand that developer is an artist in the making, and all of it would improve. But hey, look into "gesture drawing", or even better - use a reference to draw from. Your art would improve instantly.

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
Is it appropriate to comment on the artwork stiffness? It's almost like a T-pose in 3d models, but with hands down. Reminds me of a military posture. :)
In all regards, I do understand that developer is an artist in the making, and all of it would improve. But hey, look into "gesture drawing", or even better - use a reference to draw from. Your art would improve instantly.
That's perfectly fine to comment on, I love constructive criticism!
I'm actually an art school dropout, turns out getting a software engineering degree takes up too much time, so I couldn't reach my goal of an illustration major at the same time, only making it through about half of it (and, to be fair, I didn't draw at all until I was 22, so I was sorta behind the rest of my class anyway!)

This is the first release's main character artwork, the artwork you can see everyone commenting on in page 1.
OliviaClothedUniform.png

All things considered, I think I've made great progress over the past year... And the game's only 20% complete!
I'm excited to see how much better I'll be by this time next year! Still a lot of work to do (especially in learning to draw more natural poses), but I'll keep doing my best!

If anyone wants to follow my progress online I post a lot of my non-game drawings on . I think some of them have a bit more natural body positions, just thanks to me being a bit more relaxed while drawing them!

Gummiel

Jul 16, 2019
I am by no mean an art person myself, so certainly wouldn't be able to do anything enar what you doing already, but if I were to say anything on your latest model it would be the hand in particular is very stiff, when someone rests their hands it will naturally fall into a sort of claw-like position, if you can try and mimic that in your drawing, I think that alone would do a LOT

KMN

68WX Insomniac Lurker Uber Edumacated Nerd
Donor
Jun 13, 2017
That just reminds me of Legos and the movie... but I understand your meaning... IMO... I would suggest (and this might sound kinda creepy) watching someone while their body is at rest... eg.. in bed relaxing/ sleeping... or on a couch or chair watching TV... or a good one my friend pointed out was while their eating... usually in each case... one if not both hands and arms are resting in a natural position...

Elona Spiral

Aug 31, 2020
V0.15.0 Patreon Release!

I've got to say the artwork has improved a lot even though it still has quite some ways to go. She looks a bit round, especially the skirt part around the knees. The head and the face actually looks decent now and needs a little more to be on par with a lot of the games with the anime style. You might wanna update the very first post with the better art so people don't judge the game horribly.

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
I've got to say the artwork has improved a lot even though it still has quite some ways to go. She looks a bit round, especially the skirt part around the knees. The head and the face actually looks decent now and needs a little more to be on par with a lot of the games with the anime style. You might wanna update the very first post with the better art so people don't judge the game horribly.
Thanks! I've been working very hard at improving, and will keep working hard at it!

I... tried to update the first page yesterday (already got the screenshots ready!) but it kept rejecting the uploaded images so I gave up, figured I would try again tomorrow, probably just server issues or something.

Gummiel

Jul 16, 2019
Thanks! I've been working very hard at improving, and will keep working hard at it!

I... tried to update the first page yesterday (already got the screenshots ready!) but it kept rejecting the uploaded images so I gave up, figured I would try again tomorrow, probably just server issues or something.
I do indeed believe I saw another thread created ysaterday where the upload said he would add the samples later as there were issues with the image server or something like that

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
Not gonna lie, I forgot this game exists. Glad its still being updated.
Not planning on stopping until its done! Hit sort of a roadblock in term of progress as I flesh out my art skills and struggle on making combat and dungeons more engaging, but am feeling pretty good with how things are going overall!

20% complete in 1 year is off by a lot from my original goal (33% by the end of 2020) but that's fine by me! I'll keep updating and working on it until its done, even if it takes 5 years instead of 3!

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
V0.15.1 Release!

Win: - - AnonFile
Mac: - - AnonFile

Last edited:

WheresLucifer

Sep 1, 2018
hgameartman you are doing just fine with your art. Like you said you got rusted and now trying to break through. I do see the art improvement over time. We all know we all say if we need to do better on certain things, we just need to practices and do our best.

Have a great day and be safe... (y) Have a great 2021 start and put 2020 behind by moving forward.

2.70 star(s) 15 Votes